My breastfed baby is having a hard time taking a bottle: Advice?

i used those bottle’s with the bags in them,… worked for both of mine,…

my daughter used the evenflo balance plus

There are nipples for babies that some kids prefer.

Wrap the bottle in something that smell like you

Have you tried different nipples on the bottles? I had four and each one like a different bottle nipple. Didn’t read all the responses so someone else may have suggested this.

Have you try Playtex Nursers I used them with my babies.

Change the nipple to a faster flow, see how that goes. Don’t buy a lot, just one and see

Sometimes you might need a bigger nipple

You can help get him accustomed to using a bottle by using nipple shields

Nipple & bottle confusion happens when you introduce bottle too early.
I used comotomo bottles

Yes Avient philips its shapes like naturl

My babies both bottle fed, they had no trouble with the Dr Browns brand nipples.

It may be coming out too fast from the bottle. What kind of bottle are you using?

2 of my kids refused to use a bottle once they got the nipple

Wait to bottle feed till you go back to work

Could it be slight tongue tie?

Had the same problem

Tommee Tippee, buy a prieme nipple for them

Mine never would. Makes it hard on baby and sitter

Comotomo bottle is a miracle !

I didnt learn until baby #3 that there are different numbers of nipples flows.

My breastfed baby Used Tommee Tippee nipples

U can do both. Babies will adjust…

If dad is involved try having him feed

Dr. Browns (pink bottle for colic worked best)

Medium or fast flow teats

Nanobebe nipple. They sell at target

Bottles are trial and error. I’m being induced with my 4th tomorrow. They’ve all been bottle fed and so far they’ve each preferred different bottles.

1 Like

Get one that u can push off the air

I hear good things about Dr Brown’s bottles.

Platex nurser bottles are great.

Get a bigger nipple size

Try a different nipple with bigger hole.
Breast milk flows effortlessly at first, not much sucking required. Bottles are more work for the baby.

1 Like

Take him from boob to sip cup

Look for the bottles that have nipples that are more like breast

1 Like

My baby would only take these bottle because there are multiple holes for the milk to come out like it would from the breast.

My son was breastfed for 2 years and wouldn’t hardly take a bottle or sippy cup but he did prefer these over any of the others I tried.

These work fine with me.

My baby just started on the bottle. We use kiinde. I was afraid she would refuse because she doesn’t like any binkies but she took right to the bottle. She is 4 weeks

Try taking your baby to the chiropractor. My baby was like this. Very colicky and would nurse like he wasn’t getting enough milk but was also gassy. Took him to the chiropractor for a few weeks and he’s gotten a lot better. I was referred by a friend who said she regretted not taking her daughter earlier than 4 weeks. We started at 4 weeks as well. It loosens them up after being cooped up for 9 months and helps with constipation/gas. Also we use Tommy tippy. Hope that helps!

Neither of my breastfed babies would take a bottle. Tried many types including the breast fed recommended brands. Nope, they wouldn’t have any part of it. My son went on a hunger strike all day when my sister watched him when I had to go out of town. :confused:

2 Likes

My daughter went from boob to Tommy Tippy anti colic bottle with no problem… i would pump so i didn’t have to do all the feedings… you can DM me if you want any advice mom if 2

I love my Smilo bottles. They have a vent to help with airflow and are supposed to help prevent colic. I haven’t had any issues and we have gone through all sizes of nipples as my now 1 y/o still uses the stage 3. We are trying to wean him off the bottle. ** these were ordered off a website and have been worth it for my family!

This was the only nipple my breastfed baby would take. They fit on my medela bottles. High Load | Bed Bath and Beyond

I’m breastfeeding and have used MAM brand bottles and pacifiers since she was born. Baby latches with me and bottle feeds with dad.

We used dr browns bottles for my daughters and I wouldnt change a thing, I had to pump for my older daughter due to her being in the nicu (born at 24 weeks) my youngest i was able to breastfeed and bottle feed as necessary

These were the only bottles that worked for my son. Playtex Baby VentAire Bottle for Boys, Helps Prevent Colic and Reflux, 9 Ounce Blue Bottles, 3 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OHKR1H4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZsFfFb7YRF0SG

Try the next stage of formula, with my first I started him on stage 1 aptamil, I started on 4oz, he was feeding every hour, so I upped it 6oz, he was still feeding every hour, so I put him on Aptamil stage 2 for hungrier baby, he then started feeding every 3-4hours

I just poked an extra hole in the nipple

Try to go to the next step. Or another type of bottle

tommee tippee closer to nature bottles

Make sure the milk is warmed to the right temperature & it will need to be a couple degrees warmer than formula …the smaller nipples are closer to moms nipples & pump even when you are available to feed so he can get used to the bottle otherwise grandmom may need to bring him to moms work on her breaks lunch etc for feedings

My son didnt take a bottle well from me because he preferred breast and knew that. My husband introduced the bottle and he did fine. Perhaps have your SO or mom try and see if that helps?

You need to get them firmly established on breast before trying to switch to bottle and then also you need to make sure the nipples you get are as close to yours as possible and I would suggest you look into pacifiers as well, some babies who are breastfed won’t accept the taste and feel of the plastic

2 Likes