My child has developed a stutter...advice?

Hey moms!! Quick question!! I have 5 kids and all of them speak very well!! My last one(3yrs old) she speaks very well but has developed a stutter recently(2 weeks) Ex: she will start off Ca ca ca Carter has a toy. Ma ma ma My foot hurts! St st st stop it! Basically whatever she starts her sentence off with is a stutter. Has anyone had their child go through this? Was it a faze or did it become permanent? I am taking her to the doctor for the concern. I just wanted to know if anyone else’s child experience this and what was the outcome.

1 Like

If she is only doing it at the very beginning of her sentence and not throughout the sentence, I would bet she is either thinking faster than she can speak or subconsciously stuttering to get your attention before actually speaking. My 9 year old has ADHD and tends to stutter or even just repeats the first word of his sentence a few times before he actually says the rest because of both reasons.

I only have boys but my oldest did about that age, or so. Had it for years. Dr always said not to worry, his brain is just going faster than his mouth. He’s 22 now and he only does it when he gets super excited about something. :wink:

My son did that when he was about 3 also. We didn’t make a big deal about it and it stopped after a few months. Give it a little time.

My son did the same thing at that age. I talked to our school speech pathologist and she said if it’s not through the entire sentence then it’s likely a phase he’ll grow out of, and he did. He’s 10 now.