My child has no father listed on the birth certificate. My question is, can and how can go about putting a name on?

File for abandonment. They have to at least attempt to contact the father to let them know that abandonment is being filed. Then if he doesn’t respond to that- his rights can be terminated. But, your husband does have to adopt the child. In PA, if there’s no one to adopt the child, it’s extremely hard to file for terminations of rights/abandonment.

Adoption. Tell them the bio father is unknown.

5 Likes

He has to fill out an affidavit of paternity at vital statistics

There’s an f of David, or however its spelled or adoption… I’d consult a lawyer that does free consultations. Best of luck hun, going through something a little similar here

Putting a non bio parent on the birth certificate is fraud.

You can have your husband adopt your children with the bio dads consent.

In my state (MN) you can have a Recognition of Parentage signed to have a father added to birth certificate

You can’t lie on a birth certificate tf?

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My child has no father listed on the birth certificate. My question is, can and how can go about putting a name on? - Mamas Uncut

I would think you would have to adopt to have him legally be the father. A birth certificate is just that - who are the birth parents. As an adoptee, I think it is important to be truthful on legal papers.

11 Likes

You’ll have to get a lawyer and go through the process. In most states, if a biological parent doesn’t try to contact the child in one year, it’s an automatic termination of their rights.
But your husband will still have to go through the adoption process.

1 Like

As far as I know from someone who put. Dad on who was biologically not the dad it was against the law might be different depending where you live . But he can legally adopt him but birth certificate is different also if child has your last name you can do a name change prettt easily

If the abuse was documented or reported, then you could get his rights formally waived, however your husband would then have to go through the whole legal process to formally adopt your son in order for him to be on the birth certificate. If there’s no documentation that he was abusing, then unfortunately you’ll have to go through the whole mess.

He doesn’t have any rights if he’s not even listed on the birth certificate. There are no rights for him to give up. But there’s no point I’m putting them on the birth certificate to then try to strip in the office right because it is extremely difficult and there Hass to be either severe negligence, abuse or there has to be someone in place to adopt the child. What is the point of doing all that if you want to take the right away anyway? Don’t give him any to begin with. The biological father does not have to release parental rights he doesn’t have for someone else to adopt him. Talk to a lawyer so they can explain this to you in a way you will understand.

1 Like

Why do u need a piece of paper? My daughter is in the same place no father on hers but she has a great father no need to be on paper.

Not sure if it’s an option in your state… In Minnesota there is a form called recognition of parentage.
Since the bio father was never listed signing the recognition of parantage would give your husband legal rights/responsibility to child and would add his name to birth certificate. No DNA test, no termination of bio father rights, adoption ect.

Look up filing a Good Cause Claim. Its been awhile since I have really looked at the criteria but from what i understand and can remember there is something in there on parent abandonment and if you are now married and the spouse wants to adopt…

I just put my husbands name down and said he was dad

3 Likes

This paragraph is so confusing. First you said the bio dad was never in the picture or never listed anywhere as the father so why would he have to sign off his rights if no one knows it’s his other then you. If hes not on any legal document just have your husband adopt him at the court house its literally that easy

You have to go through the adoption process! I am currently doing that myself for my husband to adopt my boys😊 so they can have our last name!
edit to add: only BIO parents go on the birth certificate until an adoption is done. my ex had a dna test done (he wasn’t on my sons birth certificate) but once he was proved to be the father, the court added his name🙄

Have your husband sign the birth certificate. It’s called a poor man’s adoption.

Unfortunately you know what to do. Bio dad has to be notified and that can mean posting in a newspaper for 30 days. To give proper notice. But if he doesn’t respond you can do step parent adoption. You lie and courts find out YOU will get in trouble.

1 Like

Step parent adoption. That’s the only legal way to get your husband’s name on that certificate.

Talk to a lawyer; it’s going to cost you a little bit of money but for the sake of legality, it’s the best way to do it because if you lie, it will come back to BITE you in the ass.

I had a similar situation and it was not very pretty in the long run especially with my daughter went to get married 21 years later check the laws in your state get a good attorney make a very good decision because it will affect your child in the long run good luck

I just dont understand why anyone would want to put anyones name on their childs birth certificate that isn’t the childs parent ?? What u have to think is that tomorrow is never promised. Your child deserves the right to know where/who they came from. So many people take secrets to the grave and its upsetting because the people/children left behind are left with unanswered questions.
Not in all cases a baby was created on purpose e.g rape victims but then just leave it blank. Dont add a mans name because your in love with him for the moment.

Imagine if the dad had such rights to change or choose who he wants the mum to be on the birth certificate and could remove the mothers name and put a new name down… it’s just simply not right!!
Biological parents should be the only ones on a childs birth certificate.

Can’t you just say father unknown - one night stand , in Aus you can put father unknown so I can’t see why he can’t adopt her without doing name change etc first

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My child has no father listed on the birth certificate. My question is, can and how can go about putting a name on? - Mamas Uncut

If he isn’t on the birth certificate and didn’t sign the ROP, he has no right to terminate in the first place. A step parent adoption would be the best legally, as there are legal repercussions to knowingly lying about the father on the birth certificate.

10 Likes

It would be illegal to put your husband on the birth certificate when you know he isn’t the biological father. I believe you would have to do a legal adoption, but if there is no established paternity I assume there are no rights to be terminated (??) so that will hopefully make the process easier for you.

7 Likes

Have to terminate bio 1st look into abandonment. Then hubby can adopt… gets a new birth certificate.

1 Like

I’ve read this exact same post yesterday,the answers are still gonna be the same here hun🤷‍♀️

8 Likes

Basically your going to have to go threw the courts and do legal adoption.

1 Like

Just have the courts put out a public letter for 90 days. For unknown or known father. If he does not come to the date set his rights will be automatically forfeited. Yes hen u will be able to have your husband adopt or get guardianship and then said name can be changed and given a new BC with new father

I’ve don’t this many times. Both on my own and with the state.

This same post was just posted the other day too. Guess they didn’t get the answers they wanted the first time.

10 Likes

You can’t do that. He has to legally adopt him. You can’t just put names on things that aren’t there’s.

5 Likes

I’m sorry but I think it’s So freaking stupid to Never list the Father just because what ever the reason u both could not make it work. It selfish and inconsiderate there is alot of shit that gets involved if something happens to the parent and no parent is listed Please think about it. It’s about the child not about u. Just my Opinion so don’t get all Nuts on me

You posted this post last week

4 Likes

There was no father to begin with so there is no rights that need to be signed over. No dad listed = no rights. Unless her bio dad was actually trying to be in her life and signed a declaration of paternity or the birth certificate then there’s nothing to do when it comes to him. You can put your husband on the birth certificate As long as he signs a Acknowledgment of paternity. You don’t actually have to be the father to acknowledge yourself as the father. And it’s not illegal to do so. You would still have to go through the same process to changer her name.

3 Likes

Nope. You need to establish paternity and have him sign away rights (or have them terminated) before anybody can adopt that kid. Procreate with better men :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

It’s illegal to knowingly put someone who you know isn’t your childs bio dad on a birth certificate and you can get into trouble for it

If it’s that important then I’d do it right/the legal way

9 Likes

You have to establish bio dad as the father, then get him to terminate his rights. Then have your husband accept responsibility for the child. My parents went thru this with me.

2 Likes

It will be put out usually in the paper and if the father doesn’t claim said child then u move on to the adoption process. I believe they post 3 times-90 days and then u can move forward. I’m in PA and have seen this done twice. U will need a lawyer. But like others said u do know who the father is so I’m not sure how they go about that. The ones I’ve been around didn’t know who the father was.

1 Like

All today’s posts seem recycled from a few days ago. Don’t think the answers are going to change much.

1 Like

Wasn’t this posted yesterday? You can’t lie on a BC lol hell have to adopt

2 Likes

This was already posted before and the answers don’t change. Adoption is the only way. And before you can do that the bio dad has to do a DNA test and terminate his rights. Any other way is illegal.

2 Likes

What you need is a lawyer, nobody on Facebook can give you proper legal advice. You can shoot yourself in the foot by not following the proper protocols.

3 Likes

Here in PA unfortunately, paternity has to be established and rights signed over before your husband can adopt her. Trust me my best friend is going through the same thing here in PA.

1 Like

The process you posted is exactly what you need to do. You can’t just add whoever you want. And even if you did, you still have to file and pay for a name change. But if anyone finds out you lied, you’re going to be hit with a
Serious legal issue.

What if you say you don’t know who the dad is ?

Whatever you do, just dont lie to the kid and tell it that adoptive dad is bio dad.

Bio dad needs to be on birth certificate. No matter what. The child should have atleast one legal document stating the biological father.

1 Like

If bio dad isn’t on the certificate then technically he has now parental responsibility or rights so I doubt you would have to go through that process.

1 Like

You’d have to do your research, but as far as I know, putting anyone down as the father on a birth certificate, who is not the biological father, is illegal and classed as paternity fraud.

I’m confused if you have put down no dad , why would he be needing to give up parenting rights that he doesn’t have?

Your husband is not your child birth father, he can’t go on the birth certificate unless it was an adoption situation.

Why are you so desperate to change your child’s name?

You cannot put the person who isn’t biologically your parent on the certificate. So one has to adopt the child.
One parent, the mother is down, the other person has to legally adopt them. The biological dad has to have had no contact for a number of years, be dead or be unknown to not have parental rights meaning the mother is the only parent to sign adoption papers

I don’t know how it works in other places but in uk. You just book an appointment and get them to sign the certificate

Don’t put a man on the birth certificate if he isn’t the father… your child should know who it’s father is and if not involved just put your name and leave it as that

27 Likes

You can’t just put any name on a birth certificate… As much as you may want to, it’s a legal document… Have you thought about asking your husband to adopt your child instead?

17 Likes

The name of the father on the Birth certificate is not necessary, seriously,just leave it like that mami. Stay away from that ex and explain to your child when he is older why the name of the father isn’t there.

14 Likes

You already posted this ? Did you think you’d be getting a different response or ?

13 Likes

So what happens if the current man leaves you and you eventually find someone else? What if the new man is the absolute best man to you and your kid? What if your current guy leaves you and starts a family with someone else and wants nothing to do with your kid since they biologically aren’t theirs? Now you gotta do the process all over again. Just leave it blank and tell the kid in the future why it’s blank. But whatever man steps up just let them be a good step parent to your kid. Wait till they are way older to make a choice about putting some random guy on legal forms. The birth certificate is so this child will know who is BIOLOGICALLY her father. There are several legal rights/medical reasons for this.

13 Likes

The child has a mother. The system requires that women name a man to ‘claim’ the child she bore. You did your bit. The inseminator didn’t. That’s enough seeing as a father who abuses a child’s mother is demonstrating a ‘significant parenting failure’ already. It is not necessary for you to put any man on this child’s birth certificate.

9 Likes

No matter who you marry, the father is the father!
What happens if y’all divorce??! Will he still be there, or want anything to do with the child?!
You can’t guarantee that!
Put the child’s father on BC.

9 Likes

I don’t normally get involved in these debates but the comments you are getting are unnecessary. My child’s father decided getting laid was more important than turning up to be present for signing the BC. We’re no longer together although we were at that time. He’s not on the BC he’s not bothered about it and holds no parental responsibility. He still sees my son for 3 hours every Sunday. I’m with a fantastic man and we are raising our son. Does not being on the BC take away the fact that the guy that sired my son is his biological father? No. My partner has done more for my son in 3 years than his dad has in 6. Lying on the BC isn’t the right way to do it. I feel your pain but go down the legal adoption route. Some folk get so hung up on who the sperm belonged to and forget that biological doesn’t always mean that’s best. You do you and don’t worry about the haters.

5 Likes

If there is no one on the birth certificate you should be able to say the father is unknown and the man you’re with now should be able to legally adopt. But he’d be signing paternity and be responsible even if you break up down the road.

5 Likes

You have to go through the adoption process. Tell them you don’t know who the father is. I don’t know if you reposted this or the page did. Either way, this is the best choice honestly.

6 Likes

You need him to sign the paternal rights papers first and with those you can correct/add to the BC accordingly

2 Likes

I would speak to an attorney because some things will be specific to the state you live in.

2 Likes

If the man you married wants to “adopt” the child it will have to go thru the courts and acknowledge that he is signing the birth certificate and such. If you know who the bio dad is and where he lives you need to get his rights terminated. All of this has to be legal and you can’t just say that man is the father. If the bio dad comes along and finds out it will be a mess. Do it legally. Ask lawyers and such. Don’t ask on here. Do what you seem fit. But make sure your husband is on the same page and don’t force him to do anything

1 Like

I wouldn’t just have the actual father (man raising him) on the birth certificate because down the road if his “sperm donor” wants to be an ass he can have a dna test done and prove otherwise. In some states you can claim abandament BUT that may result in having to go thru him. I would honestly call a local family lawyer who is familiar with your states laws and do it all thru the courts so that you want have to worry with anything down the road. I know it sucks having to go thru the lengthy court steps BUT it will be worth it in the end!

Good luck and prayers everything works out for y’all!

WTF!! None of this is Legal!! Sounds like my Toxic Mother!!

3 Likes

I just went through this i went to the health the department he has to go with u sign the papers agreeing he is the father and send off for birth certificate

Call the courts and explain in a much shorter version why lol they are the ones who will give you proper advice also u can’t just change her last name u need to have him adopt her to do so

I say leave it be too much hassle. My birth cert has no father listed. Its a crap show for nething in PA. I totally get that. My mom lost my original birth cert. N i had to get a new 1, well like you said PA is awful when it comes to this kinda thing and i also have to have a special paper to show along with the cert they sent me when i applied for a new birth cert, saying its an authentic cert :roll_eyes: its stupid. PA makes you jump through a ton of hoops.

You do not need to have the father signing away rights to just change your child’s last name. The judge will take their best interest, home life, and dad’s involvement into account when making the decision. Call a lawyer for a free consultation. I am in PA and I just got finished talking to them about this. It’s pretty straight forward. You’re only changing the last name of the child, not having your husband legally adopt. That’ll make it easy

Wasnt this just posted a few days ago too?

3 Likes

Ok if your trying to LEGALLY change your child’s name in PA. The other parent doesn’t have to be notified. I work for the courts in PA and have done a name change. Contact your local courts to inquire about it

Leave it blank honesty is the best policy

I was physically and mentally abused at 18 years old while pregnant with my 1st child. He was god knows where (probably in jail) when I gave birth. I DID NOT put his name on my daughter’s birth certificate. I filed custody papers, proved paternity and won full custody…mainly because he is a violent criminal and was in jail at that point. But in my state, without custody papers, he could have taken her at any point and there would have been nothing the police could have done to give her back to me. I told her his name and our story about 4 years ago. She’s almost 18 now and guess what, he’s in jail again. She has no desire to see him or have a relationship with him of any kind. She doesn’t care that I’m the only one listed on her birth certificate cuz I’m the one that’s been there for her her whole life.

1 Like

Girl you posted this the other day and got dragged. Stop trying to claim random ass men as your child’s father. Not only is it illegal to lie on an official document, why would you allow your child to grow up without knowing their other parent? You sound bitter as hell honestly. What happened to you has nothing to do with the parenting rights of the father.

36 Likes

A birth certificate is a legal document stating who biological parents are. No you cannot put your husbands name on

11 Likes

Not being on the birth certificate it doesn’t make him any less of the father and adding him to it doesn’t take away the biological father that contributed to him. If it’s that important for you look into legal adoption other than that you can’t just put whatever name you want on a birth certificate

8 Likes

Leave it blank.
There doesn’t have to be a name on it for the child to know who the dad is.
If the man your with now signs the papers without bio dad’s consent and bio dad decides to do a paternity test and they find out you lied there could possibly be legal ramifications. Same with him adopting. If he goes through the courts and adopts him with you saying you don’t know who the dad is and bio dad comes along the adoption can be voided and you could get in legal trouble.
If your current guy decides to leave then what happens? You can hold him to his responsibilities of being the father on the birth certificate, but if he contests it and takes a paternity test then there could be legal problems for you both.
Best possible scenario if to just play it safe and leave it blank. A name on a piece of paper does not make a father.
If you want him to have the right to enroll him in school and provide medical care you can do guardianship papers through a lawyer and it will allow him to do that.

Stop being disgusting. Grow up. Dont lie to your child because YOU had sex with someone you think is undesirable now. You liked him and the sex before the kid! You liked the environment before the kid.
Face your consequences now! You need to get the BIO FATHER to sign his rights.
But id like to see you go to jail for adding a name incorrectly. Maybe someone worthy of being a mother can mother your son.

Yes this was posted a few days ago

The exact same post again.

9 Likes

He will have to adopt your child and them you will get a new birth certificate. My husband did it with my oldest 3.

3 Likes

Wait if bio dad ain’t on BC how he got rights ???

1 Like

Contact your state’s vital records department and they will let you know the requirements for your state.

See if there is an amending process with birth certificates in your state.

Apply for an amended birth certificate

You have to go through the adoption process. You can’t just go in and have it done and over with. Only Bio parents can have it done with a simple DNA test. Your husband will be considered his legal parent once he adopts your child.

2 Likes

Did an ATTORNEY tell you this? Cause a person without rights can’t give up rights and there’s no reason to have to do that. Plenty of kids get adopted without having that.

This one was posted a few days ago. Why is it here again?

1 Like

You do it legally and talk to a lawyer. Don’t lie to avoid going through the adoption processes, etc.

Nope. The only way to add a name is to go through the court, establish paternity, and pay the fee to have the name added. Since he won’t be the father when you do the paternity test he will have to legally adopt him. There is not any way to just add a random person that is not the child’s parent to a birth certificate.