My child is becoming a bit overweight, what should I do to manage her weight?

She doesn’t like many vegetables and refuses to try too many new things. She’s a picky eater, but definitely enjoys snacking. She doesn’t eat out of control and she’s not lazy, but her weight is catching up to her. She is 8 years old. And 82 lbs 50 inches tall. I want to get a handle on things before it gets out of control and she starts being self conscious. I’d appreciate any help

81 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My child is becoming a bit overweight, what should I do to manage her weight? - Mamas Uncut

Maybe she is about to hit a growth spurt

3 Likes

Only buy healthier snacks, and get her active. Take a hike, ride a trail, sign her up for a sport.

1 Like

She’s 8 don’t mention her weight to her. That’s what’s gonna give her body issues. She’s probably about to have a growth spurt and if you’re so worried just buy healthy snacks

19 Likes

Stop feeding her snacks and offer vegetables.

Every time my kids get too demanding when it comes to juice, junk food, or anything unhealthy, it’s completely cut out.
Once they show me they can do a healthy balance, like not refusing to drink water half the day, or at all or eating a really good amount of fruit and vegetables without a fight, then they get rewarded.
I would start with vegetables and fruits they do like and start adding as you go until you see a result you are happy with. Also don’t do just plan boring vegetables. Look up some fun recipes to make it easier. Like honey glazed or steamed or seasoned.
It’s your daughters health. You’re not being mean because you want her to be healthier.
Honestly because I’ve been this way, I rarely ever have to fight them. And they have learned to explore and not be picky.

4 Likes

Go talk to a dietician & her doctor.

2 Likes

I personally was the overweight, picky eater growing up. I was the “chubby girl”. And even though puberty started at 12, at 14 my best friend and i walked everywhere one summer and i dropped a ton of weight before high school. It’s not laziness, it’s the activity appropriate for the age. Cardio is the best (this was in a different time and world of course). But the facts are still the same. Long walks, riding a bike, running with friends in a game of ghost every night. It all helps.

I would also like to add on the contrary though, once high school came around after about 60lbs of woeght loss, it was a lot of “she is anorexic, she is taking pills”. If her pediatrician says she is healthy, don’t sweat it.

6 Likes

Play with her outside. Exercise together. Play movement games together. I wouldn’t worry so much about the diet aspect of it.

4 Likes

My 5 yr old watches my 600 lb life with me sometimes and asks me questions and i let her know sometimes this happens when others dont eat right and exercise on top of not dealing with feelings. She knows we try to get healthy and no one is fat, just a bit unhealthy. We all have to do better. Xoxo

2 Likes

My daughter is 8 as well she really doesnt eat a bunch of junk but she is thicker than her 3 sisters, i keep saying shes gonna sprout up and thin out but nothing yet lol she is very active as well. So taking some of this advice thanks ladies!

You’re her parent first, her friend second. Should have introduced healthy snacking. Set some boundaries and take any sweets/unhealthy snacks out of the home, make healthy meals and state if you’re hungry this is what you eat. This isn’t Burger King.

SMH this post pisses me off. Why are people worried and focused on weight? She’s 8 years old!! Let her be a child and when/if she brings it up then address it.

I blend vegetables to create a pasta sauce, grate carrot and courgette into meals and things like that to encourage my fussy eaters who won’t eat much veg! Cut portion sizes down a little, Get more active as a family, if she sees you eating well and being active it will encourage her don’t make it an issue that she needs to do these things :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re going to make her self conscious

7 Likes

Have you taken her to the doctor? She could have an underlining health issue. I’d get her checked out or seen by a pediatrician before I’d ask Facebook doll x

1 Like

Try letting her help you with cooking meals. For me with my kids and grandchildren the ate better when they helped with the food, preparing and cooking.

3 Likes

I’d she has no health issues and isn’t self conscious about her self I would just encourage her to go on walks with you, okay outside, join a sporting group, go fro beach trips or hikes go to the pool, my daughter can eat but is tiny, we have moderation on “junk food” I don’t tell her she can’t have it but explain their sometimes food, if she wants chips I’ll give her a healthy version such as veggie chips, if she eats her fruit for morning tea I’ll give her something she wants, I get her to cook with me we pick something and make it together sk she’s involved and excited to try it, when she was younger and fussy I would his veggies in everything I could, soups, sauces, pasta. Smoothies are great for hiding fruits or making home made fruit pops

2 Likes

I mean she didn’t get fat over night. You obviously fed her to get to that point.

10 Likes

She will only eat what you buy

6 Likes

Just tell her…my mom just called us cows and we stopped eating crap…:wink:

8 Likes

I don’t know what you should do but I know what you definitely should not do and that is do not mention to her that you think she is a bit overweight. The damage that could do…

6 Likes

you can “diet” your child and them never even know instead of their sugar being real sugar use fake sugar, that alone will drop her weight significantly. You don’t have to tell them they are going on a diet it’s just what you are cooking or what you have switched up without them ever even knowing.

Don’t buy the crap snacks. Make sure there’s healthy snacks, change the eating of everyone in the home, bump up the activity of the entire family. Just don’t single your kid out for their weight Bc that will give them issues.

3 Likes

Stop!!! The more you try and control her food, the more she will rebel. You buy the food so buy healthy and stay clear of junk. Don’t start telling her she can’t certain things, she eats to much, she’s heavy, etc. That can be abusive!! I went down that path thinking i was helping , all it did was make it worse. Kids have a lot on them right now with covid, missing friends, school, activities. You start on food to, you will go down a dark path.

1 Like

Stop using canola oil

Following. My 4 yr old is 65lbs . He’s Samoan so I knew he was going to be on the bigger side but I do believe he’s getting an eating problem. He’s always hungry he’ll eat adult size portions and still ask for more and it breaks my heart to tell him no but I do. I always try to suggest healthier alternatives like fruit. Like yesterday, he wanted Mac and cheese with a hot dog cut up in it. I said ok have him a nice sized bowl and he ended up coming back 2 more times. He pretty much ate the box to himself besides the few bites I took. I think it’s time for a dr appt :confused:

2 Likes

My 10 yr old is 117lbs. And she is beautiful just the way she is. And she loves herself. Instead of putting an 8yr old on a diet maybe you should be teaching her to love herself. You will create the issue.

7 Likes

Ok sooo I would like to know how do you all approach a child about their weight for health reasons but at the same time make them love their body no matter what size??? Society contradicts itself in my opinion damned if you do damned if you don’t, do what you think is best for your child :love_you_gesture:

If you buy healthy foods. Thats all she can eat is healthy foods. Stop buying junk foods. Of course they are delicious. Go fo walks with her. Get active with her.

4 Likes

Find a sport she might like. Dance, ice skating, soccer, swim. Get her to start moving more and snacking less. Although she doeznt sound necessarily over weight to me my 6 year old is 48 inches tall and 65 pounds and he is just a solid kid. He isnt skinny but he isnt chunky either.

1 Like

I worked for a dietician and she had a lot of kids as patients. The motto is not about losing weight but changing eating habits. Not sure if that is a route you can afford.

2 Likes

Health, not weight is the way to move forward. Also to mention, there is a wee spread out time that seems to even itself out as well in life when we are little. Me.

Don’t worry about the food just get her more active. Try and maybe swap out the snacks for some healthy alternatives (I know that’s easy to say than do) but being active is the best way to tackle it x

Do not point out to her that you think she’s overweight. You can cause a lot of harm. Just encourage healthy food options and physical activity. 8 year olds do not need to be weight conscious.

11 Likes

DO NOT GO ON TO HER ABOUT HER WEIGHT!!! You will cause untold insecure issue that will last, and last!
Don’t keep junk food in the house. If she likes to graze through out the day, make sure there are plenty of healthy choices. Fruit, vegetables, protein, calcium ( milk, cheese sticks. Mozzarella sticks are 80 calories) Now is a good time to discuss nutrition, she’s old enough to understand basics. Have her help cook, plan meals, discuss how they can be healthy. This goes for every one else in the house too.:slightly_smiling_face:
Lastly as early as 8 to 12, a LOT of kids just blossom out. No change in diet or exercise, it just happens. Girls around 12, start to grow up tall quickly and all that baby fat is miraculously gone. Boys about 12-13 start to grow very big feet. At around 14-16 they do their growth spurt.
So as long as she is eating healthy and active, she should grow out of this. Just love her and have fun with her.
Sorry for the long post.

5 Likes

Make small changes to her diet. Things like bread, pasta, Crisps and processed foods. Get her involved in sports activities outside of school.

1 Like

Take a cooking class together. Cook only healthy dishes with less carbs. Also arrange the dishes in a fun and fancy way. She will be proud to have made her own food and be motivated to keep going when she sees that making her own food can be fun.

1 Like

I have twins. One is “skinny” and one is “thick” They’re 9. I’m obviously a big girl myself. BUT that doesn’t come from not eating well or taking care of myself. I’m on meds that make it impossible to lose weight. But that’s here nor there. I was a big girl in school and my mother would make comments about my weight all the time… I’m now 29 and have issues with self image because she wasn’t accepting for who I was…I refuse to treat my daughter that way. We offer healthy snacks and food. She’s in sports. She’s just a bigger girl. Please do not comment on your daughters weight to her. It will save her years of therapy.

8 Likes

Don’t say anything about weight or whatever. Since her eating isn’t horrible and she’s fairly active, she’ll probably just grow into the weight. Maybe just implement small changes for everyone. Maybe try and go outside as a family for 30 minutes a day? Hit up a park, or see if she’s interested in any sports. Since she doesn’t like a lot of veggies, maybe try making a smoothie? You can usually hide veggies in those.
As someone whos always been overweight, I definitely appreciate you trying to catch it before it really becomes a problem. Just don’t mention anything that can cause her to be self conscious. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A lot of calories come from drinks I buy Waters with the little flavored packets that have zero or like five calories that’s a start

Get her involved in the growing of fruit and veg if that’s at all possible? A window box, veg plot, fruit tree, whatever you can, kids will eat what they grow and get out and get active, also someone said above about cooking, great advice :blush:

Get your daughter into some sort of street dancing or a group that involes alot of moment and she enjoys.

1 Like

Please don’t criticize her or even mention it. She knows. Encourage small walks hikes or even shopping. Stay active and try to limit her snacks. Or tell the whole family your like to get health and learn new ways to help. Bring her to the store to find healthy snacks. Trail mix is a huge favorite in my house. I give a handful to each kids and they are happy!

3 Likes

Best thing to do is to provide healthy snacks and drinks. No sodas and minimize juices, encourage water. I have always been a bigger girl. I was always active also so, it’s possible that she is just “bigger”. Do not at all costs make her weight conscious and talk about her weight like that, at that age, kids are super sensitive and you go do irreparable damage to the psyche.

5 Likes

The majority of weight loss is calorie control, grab an app and work out the right food to suit her… But don’t make her aware of why you’re doing it, you don’t want her getting body issues so young.

3 Likes

Change the snacks you buy.

1 Like

I tell my Child to help me lose weight since I’m big and the fact she thinks she is helping me exercise and eat better she doesnt realize I’m doing it for her

1 Like

Throw everything out.
Drink. All diet. No sugar In the house at all
Who c area what she likes. Time to change those taste buds. All meat and veggies. No bread or pasta.
Stuff she doesn’t like chop and cook in with the meat so she doesn’t taste it.
No candy or snacks whatsoever.
If she gets hungry I’m sure u can find a fruit she will like.

Chicken
Fish
Veggies
Yogurts
Fruit
Nuts
Stick with that … my oldest is 40 lbs over weight and currently 20 down bc of this change

1 Like

My son had the same problem then he grew like 4 inches​:joy::joy: shes probably going through a growth spurt. My son just turned 7 and he’s 4ft 7" 89lbs , but I did have him change his diet regulardless of the growth spurt, I make my kids go 4 hours between meals and let them have 2 snacks a day, snacks have to be something healthy, my sons a picky eater too, so usually it’s a yogurt, nuts or fruit for him.

It’s pretty easy to make"unhealthy" foods a bit healthier. Pinterest! Small steps at a time.

My daughter is going through the same thing but my daughter is talk for her age. I always get asked if she ten but she is only turning eight in November. I’ve bought her a reusable bottle in which she drinks only water from and she takes it everywhere. My kid doesn’t eat vegetables but the doctor said we need to set the example and eat the vegetables with her too so we try but it’s still not easy. I think you should start with giving her the vegetables she does eat if any and then start introducing one new vegetable at a time. Don’t do them raw. Cool then somehow in small pieces too.
We also got put our daughter in Tiger Schulmans twice a week. She loves it and hopefully it helps tbh
Im just trying what I can to get her weight under control before it’s late. Xoxo

If you try something 7 times, your taste buds change.

I dont know why parents worry so much about their child’s weight. If she is moving ( sports, plays outside) , if she is eating right . 9/10 she is probably going to hit a growth spurt. My son was a large child. 100 pounds before the 5th grade. He would gain and shot up a couple of inches. He was very active. He carries alot of muscle. His doctor started saying something about his weight u til she examined him , I think the 6th grade, he was soild muscle with some baby fat. He is now 16, 250lbs 6’2" Varsity football and Varsity Wrestling. If you are so worried , stop the snacking or give her better choices for snacks and have her help make dinner

9 Likes

At that age kids tend to plump up, it’s not abnormal. Mine is the same way, they’re growing. Just push water, that is literally almost all we drink in my home and I buy a ton of fruit for my kids to snack on.

Please talk to her pediatrician before making any adjustments.

If there is a weight concern with the pediatrician, they can assist you with safe ways of helping her.

But there is a stage that kids go through before they hit puberty and thin out/get taller.

3 Likes

Put her in sports if you can. Something to get her moving around more but that’s also fun.
Or stop buying unhealthy food. It’s the easiest way, if its not there you can’t eat it. Its what I have to do for myself or I’d live on junk food & snacks lol

She’ll eat what you buy! We never have many snacks in the house. We keep string cheese, pretzels, hummus, veggie straws, carrots, lots of fruit, etc. My 5 year old helps herself to that stuff. We cook most of our meals from healthy Pinterest & healthy Tik tok & we cook small portions. Ask her to cook w you. It may make her want to try foods she’s not usually interested in.

Don’t take snacks completely away. You get one small one after school and then if you eat dinner good, one small one. Keep the same time frame on the weekends.

1 Like

I just made sure that my kids ate healthy when they were kids. Soft drinks were a once a week treat then it was water or milk in moderation, take away was mainly once a month otherwise I cooked every night. Healthy snacks were made available. Don’t make it about weight, make it about health and lifestyle for when she’s older. My daughter is now a mum and does exactly the same thing with food with her young children

2 Likes

She’s 8. She will pudge up right before she grows repeatedly until she’s 16.

3 Likes

Exercise…walking playing ball swimming

My daughter is 9 and bout 80lbs if not little more she’s 49.5ins she’s short and chunky but we don’t tell her she’s over weight or anything along those lines. R kids r aloud 2 snacks a day. One after they eat lunch and one after they eat dinner. It’s so they aren’t constantly eat junk. But they r aloud 2hours on TV or phones only. Any other time they r off playing with toys or if it’s nice they r outside. Riding bikes is good exercise. Playing around games etc. So she’s getting plenty of physical activity without knowing it’s actual Exercise

Following.My 15 yo,is 5’3 and 174(she’s lost 5 lbs so far)but,her dr wants her to loose about 20lbs(she has some health problems and needs to get a little healthier)We have been walking 6 miles a day(3 miles one way and 3 miles going back)We watch what we eat(cut back on white stuff-breads,pasta)cut back on sugary drinks,and just trying to do better.We do one cheat day a week so we don’t fall off the wagon.

She eats what u give her but 10 outta 10 if u tell ur 8 year old she’s overweight u urself will create her self consciousness. Her body is growing don’t make her feel like there is something wrong with her because she’s a bit heavy at the moment she’s gonna be growing again in such a short time that this probably won’t even be an issue

4 Likes

Absolutely do not cut things out of her diet like some have mentioned above. And don’t make her aware of her weight. If it’s a health concern, speak to her pediatrician. Rule out any underlying health issues. Then start changing how you cook, it’s easy to make things slightly healthier by substituting ingredients. But change it for everyone in the house- not just her. Singling her out and making a big deal about it, or cutting whole groups of food out of her diet will only result in an eating disorder when she’s at such an impressionable young age.

6 Likes

Listen I can promise you if you start making her weight an issue it will be a life long issue. She is 8 and still growing. I was a chunky kid. I never noticed or cared. Then entered my step-dad at around age 12. It was always you’re putting on some weight. Should you really be eating that? After hearing that for a year or more I went from a size 10 to 4 in 2 months. Want to know how? I stopped eating. I would walk more than 4 miles a day. If I had to eat I would throw it up. Talk to her doctor. They will guide you on what should be done if anything should be done.

4 Likes

My 5 year old is 80 pounds every kid is different some kids are just larger when therr young bc they grow really tall eventually

1 Like

My pediatrician recommended for meals give what my son will eat. Let him eat at that time however much.

For snacks limit it to fruits and vegetables or other healthy options.

Just start teach good eating habits. Back off sugars breads and pastas.

This is something to be approached carefully. Even the best intentions (her health) can be harmful if not handled right.
I would approch this as a HOUSEHOLD . We are all eating healthier to tank care of our bodies. We are all going to try to give our bodies better fuel. Things like this rather then “ we are watching our weight” :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

All I see is a vain POS parent who only cares about outward appearances. It’s because of people like you that we have an outbreak of anorexia and bulimia in our schools today. Love her for who she is! If she’s happy who the F cares what she weighs. On that note she’s 8 they grow out and then up. But your already emotionally setting her up for a lifetime of body shaming and self doubt.

2 Likes

She’s a kid. I wouldn’t worry about it. It just might be her body structure. Usually when they get close to the teenage years they start slimming up. My daughter is 12 and she weights 160 however she’s not fat she is solid. Doc has no worries.

1 Like

Don’t tell her anything limit her foods to three meals a day and two snack if anything if she won’t try veggies or salads always have fruits around all the time no more cokes or juice only water and u too not just her do it if she has siblings as well so she won’t feel bad and I know u might be tired but go out and have mom and daughter walks or son and dad walks or vice versa it helps and make sure in those meals included veggies she will have to learn one way or another u lead by example

1 Like

I remember ages 8 thru 11 were my chunkiest years of them all. I also remember becoming increasingly self conscious in the 5th grade. Around 7th grade I lost a bunch of weight without trying but I did change eating habits while eating as much as I wanted as long as it was healthy. I still had my sugary snacks every now and then. I also made myself drink water. My daughter is 11 and around 8 or 9 she chunked up, more so a pop belly lol. She grew taller and it worked it self out. Now at age 11 she has another pop belly(not huge but I notice simply bc she is tall and slim and it pokes out). I never say anything to her about it though. I am pretty confident she will hit another growth spurt soon and the pop belly will disappear, again. Puberty/pre puberty aged girls normally gain a noticeable amount of weight right before fully going through puberty, especiallyin the belly area. The fat will redistribute when her hormones kick in and that fat normally goes to thighs, buttocks and breast area for girls.

2 Likes

Don’t tell her you think she needs to lose weight. But definitely if she snacks a lot try to limit junk, maybe get her to try to snack on stuff like pistachios or dried fruit. Also, she’s 8. She will hit a growth spurt again and it’ll help even stuff out. It’s really not that big of a deal.

2 Likes

I would ask her if she was being bullied at school first. To get her to eat vegies I would hide them in different foods. My daughter was being bullied in school nice and skinny closet eating boom her weight went up

Do not put the focus on what her body looks like but rather what it can do.

my 6 yr old is 70 lbs and 48 inches tall. kids grow at their own rate and as long as she stays active i would say she’s okay! let her play out side, participate in gym class etc. but always do what you think is best momma! bet yeah i definitely wouldn’t tell her she needs to lose weight bc that’s what will make an 8yr old self conscious

Whatever you do - DO IT DISCRETELY. Don’t let her form a complex about her weight. Go out for walks more, go to the park, offer healthier treats, or try some veggie/fruit smoothies.

5 Likes

She’s just 8yo. If she’s active, there’s nothing wrong with that. Consult her pediatrician if you need to worry about it.

1 Like

Well well well let’s just make a big deal.out of a few lbs and start the eating disorders early …:roll_eyes::unamused: God idk maybe put locks on the cabinets door alarms on the fridge tell her she’s fat everyday … OR … you as the parent can silently make her more active SILENTLY city cheerleading or a sport going for a walk as a family in the evening .

3 Likes

It’s not what you eat at all. It’s exercise that’s needed

Everyone in the house try eating healthier and have healthy snacks on hand limit sugars and starches

Don’t buy salty sugary snacks , make it a whole house is eating healthier thing

1 Like

put her in a sport, maybe soccer

You pointing it out and putting her on a diet at that age is what will make her self conscious. That is barely overweight.

5 Likes

The last time my son was weighed he was 83 lbs at 53 inches tall. He’s also 8. Putting too much basis on a kid’s weight is bad. Unless the pediatrician has said something then I wouldn’t worry. Even if they have mentioned their weight as long as their healthy they should be fine. Once puberty hits their bodies will be changing. My son’s pediatrician told me that my son is healthy but just on the bigger side. She said to just try and keep his weight at a balance where it’s at and once he hits puberty and gets taller he’ll balance out more. He’s a very active kid so he’s completely healthy.

1 Like

Kids go through fazes just stop

1 Like

Dont have her self conscious. Best advice for a child i ever read was from Kate Winslett where she said she stands in front of a mirror with her daughter and says something to the effect of

"Oh look at us. We are so lucky. Look at our beautiful curves. We are so lucky to have these curves "

Its positive body image that needs re inforcing in our children.

3 Likes

My daughter has had innumerable health issues so food sometimes was an issue, and her problem was never being able to pick up weight. The best thing we ever did was start smoothies. Fruit and sometimes yogurt in there. My daughter has them for breakfast and my son, of 17 and does gym, has lost about 10kgs (about 22lbs) from stopping snack and breakfast cereal to smoothies. They both love it and are full. You can prep and freeze and take a packet at night for the morning.

Just go on walks. Make it fun like spending time together. You can control the groceries that are in the house.

2 Likes

Less snacks/sugar and wouldn’t mention her weight to her but just reduce those…maybe healthy stuff if u can get her to eat it. I have a picky eater too so I can relate to what you said.

1 Like

I think it’s wrong all these comments acting as if you are about to run off and body shame your child. You just wants to help your child. All you can do is try and make a healthy lifestyle as fun as possible and the rest will follow. X

5 Likes

Whenever my kids start ‘beefing’ up they are in for a growth spurt. Maybe try some after school activities - 2 of my kids are on swim team 1 is doing swim lessons last is too young. All 3 of my girls are different size and shapes even though they all eat similar foods and similar daily activities.
Do not mention to her and make her self aware of her body she is only 8 think of how you thought of yourself at that age.

Call her names and beat her with celery. What she needs is some good old fashioned body shaming. Also remind her she’ll never get a good husband if she’s fat.

9 Likes

Be active with her. You could diet and exercise and it be a whole family thing or get her into sports

1 Like

She’s probably fixing to hit a growth spurt. Usually kids grow out of it. If you are so concerned, then maybe start going on walks with her & do other small, fun excersizes… Do not mention to her anything about her weight, just like everyone else says, DO IT DISCRETELY!

Be active with her. Go on walks and hikes together. Grab a ball and hit the basketball court! Go swimming… Don’t buy too much junk food. Also don’t stress too much about it or make her feel any way about it… she’s just a kid ! :slightly_smiling_face:

You trying to “get a handle” on her body is what’s going to make her self conscious. Why not make your goal instead to show your whole family ways to be healthy. Lead by example. Go for family hikes or even just walks. Ask her if she has any interest in a sport and show your support. She’s 8. Of course she doesn’t want vegetables and likes to snack. Stop putting so much emphasis on her body. She’s just a kid and wants to enjoy things. If you put it on her brain that she has to maintain a certain weight that will stick with her forever. If she’s already active and eats an average amount of food a day that could also just be how her body is. Not everyone fits in that weight chart.