My child is becoming a bit overweight, what should I do to manage her weight?

I’m a big girl, been all my life. 1- cut all soda/sugar drinks. 2- by healthy snacks. 3-get her involved with making meals (best way to learn about food and try new things (maybe there is a kids cooking class where you live. 4- get a sport, it helps build many things not just maintain healthy weight. 5- don’t make it about weight, make it about having fun and eating well to support her body to grow.

6 Likes

She won’t be self conscious unless you make her self conscious. I was a bit bigger as a child and never was o made fun of, until my grandparents started making comments. So I stopped eating in front of them and then would binge eat while I was with my mom(grandparents babysat me after school because mom worked). Instead of making statuses like this on Facebook, especially to a group of strangers, get out and do stuff with your kid.

2 Likes

I just want to say- I’m glad you aren’t my mother. Because if I thought 82 lbs at 8 was too big ooof. My 8 year old is 5ft2 and 125lbs. I would probably leave her alone she is a kid. Kids go through points where they get chubby then they get taller.

2 Likes

Be careful not to focus on her weight. Buy healthier snacks because if junk food isn’t at the house she can’t eat it there.Try to keep her involved in sports or activities so that she is getting enough exercise. Focus on being healthy and not on the weight.

1 Like

Even though she doesn’t like veggies, keep offering and fruit as well. No junk food in house. Don’t make a big issue about it. Eat Whole Foods not processed. Make a lot of homemade meals freeze them. Watch portion size but always have washed and cut veggies so she can just grab something when hungry and it’s always available.

1 Like

I have an 8 year old daughter who is 49in tall and weighs 80lbs. Her pediatrician isn’t concerned with her weight, and neither am I. She is also a picky eater, but likes to snack. I think that’s just that age. If you’re so concerned with her weight, buy healthier snacks like yogurt and fruit. Whatever you do, don’t mention her weight to her. You don’t wanna give her a complex. Our pediatrician told us that our 8 year old is on track for her height and a little over weight, but as she gets older, she should level out. Like I said, if her weight concerns you, buy her healthier snacks and be active with her. Mine is constantly running around, outside playing. She loves gym class in school and she cheers, but she has a little bit of a belly on her. It’s also possible that it’s genetics and no matter what you do, it’s just her body type. There are people who eat like rabbits and work out 7 days a week and are still over weight. Be body positive with her. Buy her clothes that flatter her body type/style. If she’s healthy, don’t stress it.

2 Likes

All kids go through different growth spurts. She may be wide right now but her next growth spurt she’ll get taller and lose that weight. My son is the same age and he is pushing 90lbs. Doctor said his weight his fine. He’s a solid kid though and he’s very active and in sports. Manage her junk food and don’t say it’s because of her weight, tell her the risks of cavities instead. Don’t bring up her weight at all.

1 Like

I think you should speak with the pediatrician first. If the pediatrician has a concern with her weight, he/she will provide you with healthy alternatives. In the meantime, you’re the parent, what ever you make for dinner is what will be eaten. Too bad she doesn’t like vegetables.
I tell my kids what ever I cook is what is going to be eaten.

2 Likes

It’s normal for kids to gain then grow. But if you want to help and NOT become the reason she’s self conscious then buy healthier snacks. Change the food options for everyone, not just her.

1 Like

I would discuss this with the pediatrician first. My kiddo was overweight for their height at age 8. It turns out that they had hypothyroidism and now PCOS. They hit a growth spurt and grew 6+ inches in a short amount of time. In addition, we don’t keep chips, sodas, candies, or anything like that in the house. If they want a snack we have berries, watermelon, nuts, and yogurt.

dont want to sound like a meanie but…just dont buy the stuff she should not have. if its not there, she cant eat it. she will find something else in the house. and no other family members will suffer for not having the junk around either…

6 Likes

no fast food at all.

Kids DO NOT need a diet, just make sure the meals are high in protein and not just junk, my oldest held “kid” chub until she hit puberty, I held kid chub until puberty too, ONLY make high protein meals if you do anything please! Kids should not be on diets unless Dr specified! No shame for asking though it shows you care!

4 Likes

Love her, let her know what’s healthy and not so she really knows, offer her good foods, try to slowly push her that direction but dont force her. You could make her hate good food for the rest of her life! I still struggle with half the veggies out there I’ve had to learn myself to like a lot of things. She is beautiful no matter her size and as she grows shell figure out how she wants to be. Gotta learn how to make decisions for herself safely with your guidance.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen my entire life there are a lot of kids who grow out, then grow up nd they have this cycle for a while. She’s 8. Let her be a kid and don’t put labels and adult issues on her. “Getting a handle” on the situation is going to cause her and you more issues than you are ready for.

4 Likes

My daughter is 7, 79 lbs and 52 inches, and honestly until it becomes a problem it really isn’t. She is big boned and looks perfect to me

2 Likes

Take her to trampoline parks and take out all the processed foods, pasta, bread and bad carbs. My mom did nothing and I became obese!!! I was 10. I am just now at 41 losing weight and eating right. 2 of my kids started gaining last year with covid. They have lost almost all of the extra weight by doing these things. You are the parent. You choose what she eats and dont allow her to eat the crap thats so easy cheap and readily available

Good food choices and add fun activities to her day.

1 Like

Isn’t that a pretty normal weight for her age :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

My son is 7 and is 78 lbs and 4’1. Hes very picky. And hates vegetables. However he likes fruits. His pediatrician said something last year about it during covid and im scared for next week when we go again :frowning: he doesn’t look bad and im sure he’s still growing. Tough being a boy mom cause I never wanna deny food

The only thing that is gonna make her self conscious is YOU addressing her weight!

8 Likes

This is my 8 year old! Some kids are bigger than others. Some kids develop faster than others. Teach her proper diet and make it a good habit to eat and snack that way. Honestly, I think it’s the age to be chubby :woman_shrugging:t2: it’s baby fat. They’ll grow out if it :blush: they are kids!

2 Likes

Ask her doctor/dietician

Get her into an active hobby that’s 2-3 times a week.
That along with lots of water. And get rid of all the junk food in your house. If she is hungry, she needs to ask to go into the fridge or pantry.
The habits you teach to children are the foundation of their adulthood.

3 Likes

Find a workout on YouTube that you both can do. You doing it with her should help motivate her. She needs to get her heart rate elevated for at least 30 minutes to burn excess calories. It could be anything from like a dance game to full on workout. Just have to find something she thinks fun

1 Like

I’d be careful how you handle it, I was on the heavier side as a child not fat by any means just bigger. My mom started about 8 or 9 trying to “get a handle on it” I hated her for it and instead of embracing what she ment as help I took it as a slap in the face and that if I wasn’t skinny I wasn’t good enough for her. So I ate and ate to cope with what she was making me feel inside. I am now very over weight and struggle with the same issues that my mom put in my head by trying to help and stress over my weight. Keep her healthy she can be bigger and still be healthy. I got fat to spite my mom and I fear this happening to any of my kids. Just keep her active and healthy options to snack but please don’t shame her or constantly tell her she is getting to big,fat, heavy whatever choice word you use will scar her forever. Just love her :heart:

8 Likes

I have a 10 year old boy whos 100lbs and 6in from being 5ft and wears a size 14 in shirts and 16 pants. When he was 8 he weigh 80lbs and had was chunky his drs never was worried about his weight bc they said he would get taller and grow out of it. He eats the same as your little girl and is extremely picky. I tell my son when he says hes fat that he’s not fat (bc he isn’t) and that as he grows his belly will disappear.

Dont ever tell a child they are fat or overwwight!! If they just happen to be overweight try to help them without pointing their weight out.

My daughter is 10 and is 5,5” and 127 pounds and wears an 11 women’s shoe. All kids grow and different rates and we eat pretty healthy for the most part. It’s hard with kids especially if they are involved in sports and activities because you’re always on the go. Meal prep once every month with bagged items for crock pot meals and casseroles and try not eat processed bagged food as much as possible. It has done wonders for my boyfriend, who has lost 64 pounds in 6 months.

1 Like

Maybe she’s getting ready for a growth spurt. My kids chunk out right before they grow. Just let it play out and be active with her for now.

1 Like

More activity outside :purple_heart: get her a bike, take her on hikes, walk around the neighborhood with her. Possibly get her involved in a sport. The more active she is the more calories she’s burning and less time available to snack inside.

2 Likes

My son is 9 an is 4ft 9in weight 78 lbs has some chuck on him. His a picky eater. All kids are different!

She may be getting ready to hit a growth spurt. My son always starts to put on a little chunk and then he shoots up like four inches. He’s going to be 12 and is 150 pounds and 5’7”. Kids are weird. They all grow and eat in different phases. Find something she enjoys to keep her active. Mine runs cross country and soccer. It’s a balance and some kids are just bigger than others.

Get her involved in excercise, sports

Healthy snacks from health food store: cauliflower straws, baked chips, mozzarella sticks, Hippeas snacks, yogurt, popcorn—healthy substitutes for things she likes. Dried fruit and nuts instead of cookies. Of course the rest of your family has to be the example also.

Serve the veggies she does like (my daughter likes peppers, chick peas, and that’s about it) with dips. Just don’t have crap snacks in the house & don’t buy them at the store.

And yes, move as much as you can. Sign her up for a class—swimming, ice skating, dance, karate, yoga, gymnastics, whatever might pique her interest. Exercise helps with emotions too and builds self-confidence. Be active together walking, bike riding, jumping on a trampoline or mini trampoline, putting on music and dancing (makes a great homework break). Have family members challenge each other to fitness goals: how many push ups, sit ups, pull-ups, etc. Or how long to hold plank pose, how fast & far to run & celebrate when milestones are reached.

I used to sneak vegetables into puréed soups, shredded into tomato sauce for spaghetti, lasagna and homemade pizza. Butternut squash in Mac n cheese, shredded vegs in burgers & meatballs. Use hummus or refried beans as sandwich spreads and switch to whole wheat bread & pasta and brown rice, sweet potatoes vs white. Seltzer vs soda in the house. Stop serving dessert except on special occasions. Substitute fruit or fancy cheese instead.

Also might be worth a child psychologist to see if her pickiness is a sign of needing to control something or anxiety.

Eating with other people also demonstrates that others eat different foods, so be COVID safe but let her join others for homemade dinners. She might be embarrassed into trying new foods. Unfortunately my experience with many families is that others cater to the kids, eat fast food, or otherwise unhealthy stuff too.

Go to different restaurants that serve vegetables: Asian, Ethiopian, Mediterranean, Indian, CAVA, Sweetgreen. It turned out a friend of my daughter’s who was extremely picky loved pickled okra of all things! :woman_shrugging:

Good luck!

Geez these comments are insane.
Just pick healthier snacks and try what you can to get her to try new things. (Mines picky too so I try to eat “new” things in front of her in hope she’ll want to try) I think it’s just age. She’ll stretch just don’t let her pig out and tell her how beautiful she is❤

1 Like

My 3yo daughter is 40lbs and 39" my son is 7yo 44lbs and 45". My son’s bio father was short and stocky and my daughter’s father is tall and lanky. By the time my daughter will be 5/6 she’ll probably be as tall as my son and probably even weigh more than him. Genetics play a role in it, not just diet. My son is picky about veggies and fruit but will eat steak and chicken and snacks like nobody’s business. My daughter hates eating meat and loves veggies fruits and snacks also like nobody’s business. Both are extremely active. I think it sounds like you are trying to project your own body insecurities onto her. She’s only 8, she’s still growing. Until a pediatrician tells you there’s a problem, just leave her alone. Leave out healthy snacks like apples oranges and bananas on the counter and tell her she can have a piece of fruit if she’s hungry before she can have a cookie or a couple of chips.

1 Like

Mines is picky eater and she is 21 :woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2:. Let the child be child. Change the routine in the house and improve her diet. As long as the doctor said she is healthy, let her be.

1 Like

Just don’t!!! Provide her with healthy snacks and opportunities for exercise, that a child her age would normally have i.e. going to the park, riding a bicycle, jumping on a trampoline, etc. You being overly concerned about her weight at this age could lead to an eating disorder or life long distortion of her body image.

1 Like

Do not buy any snack food to keep in the house.

3 Likes

I have a daughter who is 10…140 pounds…and short…her dr is not concerned…either am i…now she has started sports…its a big difference! She also its healthy! Her sister is 5 '1" and weights 123! People/kids do have different body structures! Let her be! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Keep her involved in activities but know this could simply be a growth spurt as well…

1 Like

Go for hikes or bike rides as a family! Look for geocaches to make it fun! You never want to make food a big deal or it will have last affects on the child thinking their parents thinks they’re fat. Trust me!

1 Like

Why not try to teach her to not be self conscious about her body if shes a little chunky or not

4 Likes

Give her healthy snack but please don’t ridicule her about her weight my mom did me and ouch !!!

Start teaching healthy choices and encourage eating healthy foods. Never mention diet or weight to her. She’ll have a growth spurt soon. Enroll in activities. Gymnastics, soccer etc. If you don’t buy it she can’t eat it. There are good vegan choices that are good.

1 Like

See if she will start going on walks with you or even ride bikes

1 Like

It’s possible to be overweight at any age but most kids who are chunkier at that age it works out fine as they get older
Encourage healthy eating and don’t allow too many snacks

We talk about food from health point of view and keeping your body well rather than relating it to weight

1 Like

All my children went through a “chunk” (as most would call it) stage. It’s your child’s body gearing up for a growth spurt ie… Puberty. Just like when they were toddlers. Just be mindful and remember your buying the groceries, purchase healthy snacks.

If you’re going by the books (which want Kids looking like string beans), she’s roughly about 20lbs overweight for her age and height. Are you active with her? Get her more active with you or involved in a sport with friends or an outside community sport. Go to fun healthy cooking classes, buy healthy snacks but also let her have the cheats at times, She’s only 8 after all. Make it fun for her and don’t mention diet. Babies need not be self conscious of their weight. It WILL come off and she will outgrow her weight. I gasped to myself when my daughter went to her last physical and the Dr. Happily said she’d gained 30 (t-h-i-r-t-y) pounds during that year. :flushed: in the same breath she said it’s normal when they start their periods, puberty etc and it’d come right back off (and it has) but unless there’s an underlying issues she’s gonna be okay. Kids have the metabolism we wished we had!

1 Like

My daughter was always to small and when the pandemic hit she gained weight. I just bought apple slices, halos, slim Jim’s, beef jerky, yogurt, string cheese, granolabars, and I cut the amount of cokes I brought in and when they was gone we all just drank water or Gatorade zero. When she would ask about snacks I would say me and dad are eating healthy and we don’t want it in the house. I never made it about weight or her. She didn’t lose weight but she stopped packing the pounds on. Fast forward to now she’s in school sports and practices for 2 sports 4 days a week and has games 3-4 days a week and she’s slimmed up to the point I wanna feed her anything to stop it but I’m not because I don’t want to put her back in that habit. I have a bad weight complex and it has always been my mission to try to prevent her from having one.

6 Likes

So this hits home for me I have two older kids 23 and 21. Both are or 6 foot 3 so they can carry more weight. As a child my daughter just loved to eat extra anything! The dietitian said as long as it was health food let her eat them. My struggle as a single mom was my mother keep my kids while I worked and would let them drink cokes and they went out to eat every meal. My daughter had a hard time in school with kids bulling her 6 foot 3 and over weight. She still struggle to this day with it. I have a 5 year old and i have lost 100 pounds things i have learned is you kids watch you and if your exercising drinking water they will also. No soda or just is a huge deal. Keep them active with you! It’s not about their weight because the charts are unrealistic. Just being healthy is what matters.

Definitely don’t comment on her weight, just see if she will go on walks with you or play outside with her. Try to make her more active. I was a chunky kid and I eventually lost the weight.

1 Like

Seriously your her parent. Make her eat healthier. Smdh

3 Likes

My kid is about to be 10 and he weighs 124 and he’s about 4’10.

This hits for me. My mother did not help me manage my weight and I was the fat kid. I still am a heavier set adult and I’m unhappy. I’m 183 pounds and 5’3”. I’ve never been happy with my weight. Not one time in my entire life. And though my mother isn’t to blame, i could never do to my children what she did to me and my brother. I am VIGILANT about the food that is in my house. We keep it healthy. I still struggle with my sugar addiction and controlling how much fast food I eat. It’s an ongoing battle. I refuse to let my kids fall into that!!! I allow some sweets of course. But I’m much more concerned then my mom was. Constant access to chips, cookies, treats, so much buttery French foods, whole milk, etc. I was 100 pounds at 9 years old and it MURDERED my self esteem. I BEGGED my mother to stop buying the junk food, for her to help me, and she refused and told me I needed to have self control at 10 years old. I will never let my kids become the fat kid, and feel all the pain, the bullying, the trauma, and the self hatred that sticks to me every step I take. I’m doing weight watchers now, trying my best to eat healthy, working out 3 times a week, and just trying my best to live healthy for my kids. Please help your child. Buy healthy snacks, help her manage when a healthy time to eat is, get her into a sport, and limit her sugar, carbs, and grease intake. Help your child become a healthy adult.

1 Like

The SNACKING is what is wrong. If she insisted on snack food. Give her a better snack AFTER SHE EATS A MEAL. The decision is hers and stick to it.

My daughter is in the 97% percent tile for weight. She’s 107 lbs 53 inches tall and 9. I put her in soccer & karate to help her with exercise. Dr didn’t mention anything at all i just want to keep her from going over weight. She’s picky and is a huge starch eater

My 10 year old is over 5ft tall and 96 lbs the last time I took her to the doctor……does she look over weight? Kids grow at different rates, I had a chubby phase until I hit puberty and ive been in the 120s since I was 12. There’s no saying she won’t grow out of this, as long as you’re making sure she’s active and at least trying to help her eat better. My kid loves unhealthy snacks too anything sweet but there’s limits ya know.

Talk to your pediatrician and see what they say about the child’s weight and talk to a nutritionist about options if it’s recommended.
Also, girls bodies start puberty around 8. I had boobs at 9 and a period at 10. She will grow into that weight.
If it doesn’t bother her don’t draw attention to the extra weight. You’re self conscious not her. Her pediatrician will definitely tell you if she truly needs a diet.

I’m in the same boat. I sneak veggies in with the gogo applesauce, I buy the fruit and veggie ones, I’ve found veggie gold fish, and I usually pack her lunch. We ride bikes, play outside, she’s in dance/tumble, basketball now and softball in the summer. But, she’s still chunky. I’m doing what I can, and I’m sure you are too. :heart:

So I just try to have healthier options available for my kids to snack on in general bc I worry about them not getting all they need often. One we don’t do soda unless out somewhere fun and it’s caffeinated free. Smoothies with fruit and veggies are always big wins, yogurt, string cheese, fruit cups, they have now veggie/fruit pouches for snacks. they never notice veggies. Also they have pasta noodles now made out of veggies that are delicious and good for them. Carrots made with honey always a hit and I add green beans to them sometimes even though they are still picky about them they will eat them for a dessert. Usually a popsicle. They are at MMA 5 days a week so they get exercise but at home I feel is a major factor to also just prepare your kids a healthier life style, they come to keep for themselves. They still get McDonald’s sometimes as a treat but it’s about balance that they know its not good for them every day and they often even ask me, mom is this healthy? And I’ll tell them no it’s not or yes it is a good snack choice.

You thinking she’s fat at the age of eight and putting her on a diet is what’s going to cause long term negative effects. You are the parent, you buy the food, if she’s ‘over weight’ it’s your fault. She reflects your choices, period. Be more active with her, take nightly walks, get her involved in a physical activity she likes (sports, gymnastics, anything). Don’t buy cheap fast food anymore, make healthy homemade meals. But whatever you do don’t you dare make a big deal about it, don’t punish her for it, don’t shame her for it.

11 Likes

Replace the snacks with healthier options. My daughter’s pediatrician recommends mainly fruit and veggies for her snacks, avoid the chips, crackers, and anything sugary,including drinks. Find healthier options she can enjoy and mainly water for her. It’s harder for me because she goes back and forth between me and her Dad, I can’t control everything they give her. Also more exercise such as walking or playing outside and having a schedule meal and snack time.

She is within the range for her height. Parents can make their kids especially daughters self conscious about their weight.

1 Like

Stop buying snacks and make eat vegetables

Get her more active. Dont comment on her weight or she will be self conscious. Also start replacing the unhealthy snacks with healthy ones slowly. That is if you wanna avoid a battle. When my kids were eating nothing but crap I just stopped getting junk and made them eat healthy or they went hungry. But every kid and household is different so you gotta find what works for you

Take her outside to play and serve vegetables with lunch and dinner. Give only water to drink and no candy or chips. Dont make any comments just make healthy Changes

1 Like

That what I was when I was 8 year old. That’s normal health weight. Just changed her healthy snack meal plan and go out as often as you can

Stop buying the snacks and junk and only buy healthy choices. Get her involved in sports ASAP. My son is 10 and he’s a football player and a wrestler. He is 5’1" tall and about 122-125lbs. He placed 5th at nationals this year for wrestling. He started at 4 years old. He works out 5 or 6 days a week and while he still has a bit of baby pudge, the kid is extremely muscular. He was chunky when he was younger. He was wrestling heavyweight by 6 or 7 years old. He has slimmed down and looks great now.

My child is 13 and 74lbs. He is very short as well. His little brother is 12 and weighs 103 but is stalky… same parents, eat the same foods… take as much technology out of their life as you can and make them go outside, make them eat healthy. If your doing all that then that is just they way they are.

2 Likes

Girl your child is healthy my cousin is almost 10 and weighs 120ish he does karate plays with my kids and he is just built big boned I think and maybe will his a growth spurt soon.

Eliminate junk and unhealthy snacks at home and replace with healthy options. She will probably fuzz but eventually kids get used to eat what we serve. Never ever ever mention her weight to her or talk about her appearance… You don’t want her to develop an eating disorder… always talk about how great and strong and amazing our bodies are and that’s why we need to give them the right fuel to continue do all these wonderful things and not get sick. Enroll her in a sport, dance class, swimming or whatever she might feel more inclined to. Explain that you want the whole family to eat healthier and the change in habits will really be good for everyone in your house including yourself. Look for fun and active family activities to do all together.

2 Likes

Uhmmmm I dont think shes overweight…my 9 year old son is probably close to 100lb and is maybe about 4’8…hes got a little pudge but definitely not overweight. When she goes through a growth spurt she should thin out. But my son also LOVES meat and eggs and fruit. Definitely likes his sweets and junk but eats pretty balanced (except for hating veggies) please dont give her a negative body image already. Kids bodies change ALOT.

2 Likes

Don’t let her snack as much and switch her snacks to healthier options. Try to limit sugary and sodium packed options. Offer her more fresh fruit and cheese even peanut butter.
My kids are not picky eaters but I don’t give them much room to be. You get what you get and if you are hungry you will eat.

1 Like

Did her doctor say this, or are you feeling it???

2 Likes

Healthier and smaller snacks. 8oz of soda is was better then 16 or 12. A bite size candy bar is better then a full size. You start a diet too mom. She will follow you. I told my daughter that we trim down and buy cute clothes. We bought a dog to take on walks ( not sure that was the best thing but we love him and he keeps us totally active) I also have a 1 club 1 sport for school rule you must do one of each if you wanna do extra stuff with your friends! Food portions is such a must… I wish you the best of luck we are in the same boat.

6 Likes

It takes time, Im in the same boat. My son is 7 and is 93 pounds. Hes very active and plays football, but he likes food and will try anything. His favorite is Indian food right now. He doesnt snack a lot but for meals he asks for 2nds or 3rds if he really likes it. Ive had to lessen his portions and took out the juice, which has been helping. He can have milk or water. I know milk has calories but he needs the calcium.

2 Likes

Just don’t nag her about her weight - that can have the opposite effect. I know.

4 Likes

Dah, Just get rid of all the snacks, sweetened cereal, cookies ,chips,candy, all the crap thats not good for her anyway. Only snacks around are fruits and veggies. She won’t stave if she doesn’t get snacks. Eventually she’ll start to eat proper and enjoy the healthier foods.

My 7, almost 8 year old daughter is roughly the same size. She’s almost 4ft 4 inches, and is right around 84lbs.

Could your daughter be hitting early puberty? My daughter is in the early stages of puberty and her Endocrinologist said that is a factor to be considered in my daughter’s weight and height gain over the last year or so.

All of the doctors she sees have never said anything about my daughter being overweight or unhealthy. She’s really proportional and looks like any other kid her age just taller, and she’s just not super skinny :woman_shrugging:

Unless your daughter’s pediatrician seems concerned I’d let it be for now.

1 Like

Dont mention exercise, weight, or diet, instead do daily things, ride bikes, dance, nightly walks. Slowly eliminate sugary and unhealthy snacks with healthier ones. I love a red apple with peanut butter as a night time snack. Fiber and protein.

10 Likes

So many rude comments acting like she is body shaming her child. She just wants her to be healthier, as long as she doesn’t make her feel bad about herself I don’t see the issue. Just stick to healthier snacks and meals and less sugar and maybe more trips to the park or the family going on a walk in the evenings. Just be sure to try and make it fun for her. My parents cared nothing of my health growing up and I wasn’t over weight till a couple years ago but a big impact was being raised on junk food and fast food and soda. I have so many issues at only 23 because of it. Just remember it’s not always about weight but wanting her to be healthy and grow up knowing how to take care of her body

First of all - it is completely normal for children to pack on weight before a big vertical growth spurt.

Ran a quick BMI check and she is on the high end of NORMAL. Not overweight even by those standards.

Which means the problem isn’t health but how she looks… to you.

Be VERY careful as a mother to not push body issues onto your child.

She can only eat what you buy at this age, support health with healthy food.

But I’d also take a long, hard look at why you think a healthy child is “a bit overweight”

18 Likes

No snacks in the house. Eat at the table. More water no surgery snacks. Desserts on weekends

2 Likes

Her own mom judging her is going to make her self conscious, not her weight. Especially if she’s not having health problems related to her weight. :rage:

9 Likes

Just help her silently Less sweets in the house and whatnot. I was that overweight kid and it effected me for a long time. The weight made me an easy target in school and made it hard for me to make friends and play. Just don’t talk about weight and exercise

2 Likes

Best advice I can give is no sodas, more water less sugar, no snacking at night and more fiber in their diet. I’ve noticed if I give my son murilax to keep him regular it helps. I also try to include fiber the natural way of course but some days we don’t get our recommended amount.

Join Kids Eat in Color
Give your child healthy food and don’t withhold “bad” food. Do not discuss her weight in front of her ever, not even at the doctors.
Lead by example. Make family meals that are nutrient rich and good for not only her, but you and other family members as well. If you limit her “bad” food, it will only result in her binging those foods when they become available, especially if she’s used to having them as an option.

4 Likes

Im afraid that you being concerned about it outwardly can make her self consious about it too.

3 Likes

Healthier snacks…fruit and veggie trays with different dips…also maybe invest in an air fryer so can have less oil and grease in foods. Can also get her into an extra curricular like softball or dance classes. Take to a trampoline park or kids play center every weekend or just to the park wirh friends and let her ride bikes and stuff with them if they have a bike trail there. Cut out sodas…more fruit juice,flavored water,regular water,powerade,or low sugar sweet tea instead.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say anything to her for sure, that can make her self conscious about it even at that age. Maybe , if its an option financially see if she’d be interested in gymnastics, dance or something like that. Provide healthy options for her snacks.

1 Like

Teach her to cook and maybe she will start liking more healthy things if she can help make them

2 Likes

My son has started taking new meds and they put some weight on as well but we don’t mention it at all. I have started buying healthier food options snacks are grapes cuties oranges fresh peaches and apples we make it a daily thing to walk around the block and run around outside

Best thing you can do is cook and eat healthy yourself. Get regular exercise and invite her to do it with you. You should model the behaviors you want to see in your child. You might end up doing yourself and your whole family a favor actually. Being healthy and in shape tends to run in families most of the time….likewise being heavier with unhealthy habits usually runs in the family as well.

2 Likes

She within the average weight for height at her age :woman_shrugging:t2:.

2 Likes

My 9 year old is 94 pounds.
Do you think she’s overweight or has a doctor said something?

Healthier snacks and get her out being active

My 7year old was very skinny from birth. Since covid started and stayed at home everyday… She started to eat a lot. Had vitamins each and everyday which also gave her an appetite. She is doing modeling and she now feels that she is very big. I made her understand that beauty is within not on the outside. We as parents needs to learn not to be bullies to our own kids by saying things like you’re fat or overweight. Because when other kids say that to them we wanna get mad and put performances on. Kids outgrow fat… Its a phase. Me and daughter is doing jogging as a hobby and skipping. To keep her fit also for netbal. But i will never allow anyone to tell my daughter she is overweight. I normally say she’s carrying a big personality and therefore she looks like that. We need to be there for our kids not to bring them down.

My kiddo has a sensory issue so he can’t tolerate vegetables. We still buy those fruit and veggie pouches that are baby food to get the nutrition. Make a rule to at least take a bite and try new food. Let her spit it out if she doesn’t like it but the more foods you can get into her mouth the more likely she is to discover more of a variety she likes. Good luck.

Be a good example - only bring things into the house that are healthy. And don’t feed a child fast food or soda.