My child is becoming a bit overweight, what should I do to manage her weight?

go on family walks, hikes, bike rides, trampoline parks etc. don’t make it about what she eats but start making exercise like activities fun and a family thing. don’t single her out and don’t make her feel badly for eating. she’s so young but the youngest recorded child to have an eating disorder was 8

My daughter is 9 years old 130lbs and 5ft tall. Her Dr says she is not over weight. We have done her blood work and everything came out perfect. It’s not bad for being “big”. She’s active as possible with her asthma (she was an RSV baby at 1 month). As long as you limit sugars, take-out and starches. She will be OK. Some kids don’t shed babyfat until they hit puberty (my case)

1 Like

Don’t give her an eating disorder. Teach her to love her self no matter what. Teach her to eat healthy. Go for family walks. Set an example but never mention her size, weight or appearance. She is a literal child and as long as she is healthy I don’t see any cause for corcern. Do some research on it.

9 Likes

I would maybe see if there is some sports programs shed be interested in trying and sign her up. Watch her diet a bit, cut out sodas and carby/fried food and give some healthier alternatives. Kids mimic their parents and follow their lead so it’s absolutely crucial that you lead by example. If your cutting out her sodas, unhealthy snacks, etc. You need to be her team mate and do the same. I was a fat kid and I had no idea about what food are good for me and what aren’t. My mom never cooked and I wasn’t even given vegetables as options. I was just told by my grandparents I was fat and my mom made comments here and there. I now have body dysmorphia and it effects me everyday. Tread lightly on this and lead by example for your daughter.

1 Like

Don’t buy unhealthy food…
Go for after dinner walk…good time to spend quality time together

1 Like

No snacking between meals or a snack after school only.

Seriously?! My son is 3wks shy of being 8 and is is 85lbs and 4ft 3in. He is active and crazy and eats like a high school football player lol. He is muscle an some Pudge. He’s fine. And so is your kid. If u feed the body image issues she will be that way forever! Teach her to love her body not reinforce she’s over weight, chunky or not good looking.

1 Like

Get her involved in the process with a lot of explanations!

My 7yr old is 85lbs & 54in

Look into Kids Eat In Color (Instagram/blog)