My child is becoming a bit overweight, what should I do to manage her weight?

She doesn’t like many vegetables and refuses to try too many new things. She’s a picky eater, but definitely enjoys snacking. She doesn’t eat out of control and she’s not lazy, but her weight is catching up to her. She is 8 years old. And 82 lbs 50 inches tall. I want to get a handle on things before it gets out of control and she starts being self conscious. I’d appreciate any help

140 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My child is becoming a bit overweight, what should I do to manage her weight? - Mamas Uncut

Huh? Is her pediatrician concerned? A lot of kids get kinda awkward around that age, I wouldn’t be worried about her being a bit chubby. The best thing you can do for her self esteem is to not mention it or try to control her eating habits.

94 Likes

She’s average weight for her age. Let her be a child!!

156 Likes

Yikes on bikes! Before who is self conscious? Why would this totally regular child sized child be self conscious?! I’m all for healthy eating kids, but…… I think the weight issue is yours. Not hers.

79 Likes

8? What is her BMI? What is her bone structure?

While I agree you wanting to eat more vegetables I think this may be a “you” issue.

Girls will typically start hitting their growth spurts around this age group. She will need a little extra “fluff” to handle those growth spurts. I would recommend being careful with conversations surrounding her weight at this time in a young girls life?

Furthermore if her pediatrician is not worried I think you shouldn’t as well.

55 Likes

As a 39 year old bulimic, just don’t.

When you put your expectations of weight and appearance on a child it creates even more unhealthy patterns.

41 Likes

Firstly never say anything to her about weight. You don’t want an eating complex on her hands. Maybe go for more activities . Walking , cycling etc ? Does she have any out of school activities she may enjoy ? Have you got any local clubs she may like to try ? It’s not alllll about eating it’s about exercise also x

49 Likes

I find what helps is making sure you dont have unhealthy snacks in the home and keeping lots of fruits and healthier options. We tend to eat the healthier ones IF the unhealthy ones are not available. That being said treat them once a week or every now and then with something of their choosing

38 Likes

Be active with her go on walks together, go swimming together, do yoga! If anything say it’s for you, & you don’t want to do it alone

22 Likes

She’s 8…if she isn’t lazy or anything than it’s not out of the norm or unhealthy. If youre really worried then cut out some of the snacks but maybe don’t bring up your daughters weight to hundreds of strangers…

20 Likes

Some of the comments on here are very judgmental … if she came on here and her daughter was classed as overweight you’d all be jumping on her saying it is the mothers fault! She’s asking for help and advice… not to be slandered for worrying about her daughter ! I think your doing an amazing job momma :blush: if she loves snacking, try and incorporate as much healthiness in to her snacks and cut down on sugary drinks with infused water. It’s so important to teach our children the importance of a balanced diet and regular exercise xx

37 Likes

Putting kids on diets is dangerous and can lead to eating disorders. I would just encourage healthier choices and not allow excessive snacks outside of meal times and get her outside playing. That and puberty may even her weight out. But coming from a girl that was fat at 8 years old, discussing her weight or her eating with her directly may cause more harm than good. Also given the specs you provided, she has a normal BMI. Which doesn’t even account for muscle or bone density I might add!

105 Likes

At 8 years old, I would increase activity, not diet restrictions.

19 Likes

Blend the veg on the sauce for the dinner . My eldest wouldn’t eat much and someone told me to blend the veg in the gravy or whatever sauce you are having . They never noticed

31 Likes

Yall act like she doesn’t have a valid concern, yall act like children are not bullied to the point of being suicidal is not becoming a normal thing… especially Northern states where being “thick” isn’t as glorified as it is in many southern states… all she wants to do is make sure it doesn’t get out of hand one day and her daughter is not ridiculed… yes her daughter may be perfect but monitoring her and making slight changes may save her from a lifetime of self consciousness… as someone who was ridiculed herself in high-school I can say it DOES stick and DOES affect your self esteem greatly, I wish my mother cared as much as she does and anyone who says she’s the problem clearly hasn’t had it as bad as anyone who had an entire school against them purely for existing

22 Likes
  1. Don’t talk about her weight.

2. increase activity as a family.

3)limit snacks. By limit I mean. Offer fruits and veggies and portions of snacks.
Kids often snack because they are border. My daughter has a snack basket and she gets fruit, deli meat, chips, yoghurt but once that’s gone. She can have fruit and veggies only.

Also increase protein!

35 Likes

Don’t let her snack on junk food. Lot’s of fruit , hide vegetables in meat dishes .Don’t give her opinions , meals should be take it or leave it no treats . Kids will eat when they get hungry. Don’t give in . Take her for walks or bike rides .

48 Likes

Whatever you do, please don’t mention you think this to her!! Maybe make some of the changes mentioned in a subtle way

13 Likes

Well your definitely gonna make her self conscious being 8 and having mom pretty much calling her fat already and wanting ideas on ways to diet her. Just take her out to parks and go on walks or something more if it “worries you” so much. But never mention this anywhere that she might be able to hear you say it or someone tell her you said something about it.

54 Likes

I hope you’ve never said anything to her, or even out loud to someone else when she wasn’t “paying attention” (kids always listen.) You will start her on a lifelong self esteem issue that will follow with eating disorders.

I’ve never eaten straight veggies. Ever. Kid. Adult. Never. I blend peppers carrots and tomatoes to make a base for almost any soup. You can blend veggies into spaghetti sauce. Whatever you see fit. Vegetables don’t make you skinny. So she likes to snack. Whatever. You let those habits start young, that’s on you. If you don’t like it, fix it. But don’t say it’s about her weight. That’s terrible.
Take your child out more. Evening walks. Going out on weekends. It starts with you.

27 Likes

Encourage her to eat new/healthy foods by letting her in the kitchen with you. Have her help you prepare/cook them. Maybe look up cute things you can do with fruits and veggies like the raddish roses and cauliflower sheep and such. Kids are more excited to try something if they see how its cooked. Also look up recipes to mix veggies in with fruit muffins and smoothies. Like Zucchini is an awesome substitute for apples in a pie or pastry.

10 Likes

Mine is almost 11 and gained quite a bit during the covid school lockdown. I make sure we have no junk in the house at all. I make sure he only eats 1 of everything he eats, no seconds. Snacks are portioned and he likes apples with pb, goldfish, baby carrots, pretzels, and popcorn. Drinks only water or milk at home and maybe a lemonade if we eat out. He lost 7 lbs already. But I wouldn’t worry about it too much they’re still growing and most kids have a chubby phase they grow out of and it’s perfectly fine.

8 Likes

Activities , even if you have to do it too … Hiking, bowling , gardening , make it fun and cut back on anything with corn syrup (big girl from about 12 )

30 Likes

My daughter is 5 and 75 lbs and I’m in the same boat, loves fruit, she’s active but we do snack a lot cuz were busy ppl. I’m tryin to figure out ways to help her lose some weight and become healthier for her and her future. I don’t care what ppl think I’m not ashamed of my girl and they can kiss my ass but I know how society, school, and other kids are. I wanna help her before it gets to the point that it’s hard to control the weight and she starts getting self conscious. She isn’t there yet but getting close, especially when we shop for clothes. I think all you ppl bad mouthing her are mean, she’s wanting ideas and help. And she’s wanting to do it in a fun way so as not to make her daughter self conscious. It’s ok to ask for help but honestly at 8 I think your daughter being 82 lbs is fine. They all go thru chubby stages several times, she will again at teenage years, but they grow taller and slim up. Just offer fruits and healthier snacks and get her moving more, maybe some kind of toning exercises rather than cardio. Just ignore the rude comments. They’ve never dealt with it or they’re in a bad mood so their opinions don’t matter. I’m happy to see someone worried about their kid rather than shoein em away cuz they don’t wanna be bothered.

10 Likes

Does her pediatrician say she’s overweight? That aside, I think you should start with what you purchase at the grocery store.

8 Likes

I’ve always struggled with my weight and am going through the same with my 5 year old daughter. We started doing Zumba videos on YouTube. She loves it and has lost some weight. She loves dancing so it was easy

6 Likes

Sign her up for fun exercise classes after school (my daughter does Tae Kwon-Do) which will help with the weight and in the case of martial arts give her a great skill and the ability to defend herself. She’s only 8, so unless her diet is really unhealthy, I wouldn’t start cutting back on that. Exercise, start there.

9 Likes

It sounds like it’s more of an issue for you than her.

She’s a child, let her be.

61 Likes

But, I’d like to also add that YOU are her parent. YOU are in charge of what’s for dinner, etc. How much fruits and vegetables do you eat yourself? Children also model their caregivers and if she sees you eating healthy, she should at least be interested in trying the same.

18 Likes

Don’t give them a reason to be self conscious and instead make sure you’re boosting their self esteem. Thats actually a healthy weight to be at so I cant even fathom why you’re so concerned about it. That’s not a stress a child should carry. Just teach them to love themselves.

27 Likes

Is she only self conscious because her weight is being brought up at home every time she eats something?

Instead maybe go on more family walks after dinner.

5 Likes

This is an issue that you need to tread carefully upon. I know I worry because I have a step son who is 10 and weighs upwards of 180 (last time I heard) and it’s become obvious in the recent years that he’s extremely self conscious. Wears hoodies in the middle of summer. I try to get my husband to understand that feeding his video game addiction (although, obviously he loves them and it makes him happy) may not be the best course for his life and trying to get him to exercise or even outside more often could do a world of difference. Children are very aware of not only their peers judgements on their body, but their friends and family members as well.

6 Likes

Make her part of the process get her involved with cooking or choosing the meals - recreate some at home “take aways” but healthier

17 Likes

Exercise. Maybe try some different groups/activists to see if there’s anything she likes (walking, running, swimming, football, gymnastics etc). Then she is more balanced. Also keeping unhealthy snacks to a minimum, hidden veg in sauces, fruit in homemade snacks. There’s lots of fussy toddler recipes that add fruit and veg hidden inside things that look like treats but full of goodness. Of course let them be kids, and don’t do it in a way that says your worried about her weight. Do it in a fun way

3 Likes

I sat my daughter down and said to her we want to get her healthy! It was a family effort, going for walks,we cut out potato,no sweet treats,I packed her healthy food for school.On the weekend she was allowed to have some sweet things.She did lose 9 kilos,to this day(over a year later)she still eats this way as her body has gotten use to it.
My daughter puts on weight very easily, but with her new lifestyle she is maintaining her weight well.

2 Likes

Have her help you cook. Once per week, let her try a new recipe. When she finds recipes she wants to try, include a new vegetable, or way of preparing something she hasn’t tried yet. This is how I was introduced to food as I grew up. It helped me to appreciate what it takes to prepare a meal, learned that food is only supposed to be eaten at breakfast, lunch and supper, with a light n healthy afternoon snack (like carrots, bell peppers, celery sticks, or grapes n apples with peanut butter or peaches, or canned fruit). It also allowed me to have control and responsibility over the food I wanted to eat and allowed me to try new things and make things taste as I wanted them to taste. It’s the kindest thing a parent can do… Simply teaching their child how to make better healthier choices and learn how to prepare and plan a meal. Good luck

1 Like

Speak with her pediatrician first and ask if he/she sees any reason for concern. Offer healthy snacks and meals and allow her to be a part of the cooking and shopping. Don’t focus too much on the weight. Focus on being healthy. Above all don’t make it a big deal!

3 Likes

I was on my first “diet” at 8 years old. I have other siblings that are fine but my mom targeted me. The more she restricted my food, the more I found ways to get it. I would do chores for people in the neighborhood and make money. Head right for the store and buy something and eat it before I got home. As an adult I learned how to closet eat. Hide things until my husband would go to sleep so I could eat it. Of course I was very active back then. Riding my bike everywhere, going to the park to hang out with friends. Please do not be too concerned at 8 because you don’t want to set up shaming (not intentionally) at a young age because it will have long lasting effects. My mom till her dying day would say “Christine you have such a pretty face if you would lose some weight” try that on at 8. If as she gets older and there is a problem check with your doctor.

5 Likes

I think as a family you decide to eat together and eat healthy meals. If she is hungry she will eat whether she is picky or not. A child is only picky if their patent lets them be. I am not say force feed her. I am saying before you prepare meals give her two healthy options at time. That way she can control things at times. Have the family all try to eat healthier as a group goal towards health not weight loss. We can all be healthier.

2 Likes

I have a 12 year old who stands a outstanding 5 feet flat that weighs 135lbs….she’s amazing and healthy. I suggest you let her be a kid and absolutely do not mention her weight…oh tha damage you could do…

4 Likes

Wow the number of parents putting their kids on diets makes me understand why so many adults have eating disorders.

13 Likes

I remember when my girls were this age, so much going on inside physically and mentally too. They sort of were not getting taller as fast and it all worked out in the end. Of course always choose healthy but it’s hard since she’s a picky eater. I’m sure it will all work out in the end as it did for my girls.

I agree with moving more. Also set the example. Don’t say diet just start incorporating healthier habits into your daily life. For instance my kids take a water bottle to school. They take a crystal light pack to add at lunch. They determine how watered down or concentrated it is. Y how much they drink by lunch. And the water bottle has to be gone before they can even think of having anything else. My son would eat nothing but chips so I will often say how much protein have you had. He is aware there are many sources for protein so will get something when reminded. It’s about wording. I do my best to lead by example.

16 Likes

Firstly don’t make her feel self conscious. She’s 8 …this is ticklish. Get creative. Have a dance session 3 nights a week with her…it becomes you guy’s thing. Then have a 1 fruit or 1 vegetable for every snack consumed. More water, less juice. Remind her that she is beautiful regardless of her weight. Every. Single. Day.

6 Likes

Have her thyroid checked. I went from 40lb at 7 to 100 by 10 and wasnt dx until i was 16. Also make the rule she has to at least try a veggie before she can snack. Or her favorite veggies that she will eat offer as a snack first. Dont force her in anyway because limiting food can cause issues later down the road, just offer healthier options and go outside have family walks encourage outdoor games!

1 Like

Don’t bring it up to her because you’ll make her self conscious. Remember…this is the age where all the hormones and body changes start…her weight is going to naturally fluctuate!! Let her continue to eat like a child, she’s 8! As long as she’s healthy, has a good appetite, doesn’t overeat, is active and drinks small amounts of sugary drinks…leave her be

My daughter is 8 and in her 80lbs too. My doctor said I should start watching her weight too (she also has diabetes) so I signed her up for gymnastics hoping that’ll keep her weight level and not rise. I still let her eat whatever she wants which is mostly good food since we don’t buy unhealthy foods.

Don’t let her snack on junk. She will eat whwn she is hungry by placing better choice of healthy snacks out or try making healthy snacks fun… Pinterest kid fun food ideas/snacks. do crystal lite inplace of the juices/pop

Encourage healthy choices if anything start adding a green supplement I make mine with my protein shake with chocolate and peanut butter. Def make sure it’s okay for kids. I grew up super thin and struggle with my weight now I wish I had been taught to eat healthy well rounded meals

I thought that was just normal for them? Get chubby eating lots than they sprout up like a weed in no time. That sounds like a pretty average weight. I wouldn’t even worry.

That’s average weight for her age. They go through several growth spurts between now and 13. She will get bigger around the middle and then shoot up in height. Things will even out. Don’t ever say anything about weight…but make sure not to have many unhealthy things to snack on. A few, yes (she’s a kid :woman_shrugging: )…but not a ton. This is my son. He was a little round from age 9-12 but then shot up! This is only one year apart.

I think it’s great you are showing concern in your child’s weight, teaching them good eating habits and the importance of exercise from a young age is important for their physical and mental health. Telling her she is overweight is a big no, but working good habits into her that will see a slow but gradual.improvement is important, find healthy foods she does like and it’ll progress, find sports she does like that her friends are doing… Just small changes will have big improvements at her age

I’ve had this concern but I stuck mine in soccer and softball. She’s also 10 years old and 5’2” and wears a women’s size 9 shoe :sweat_smile: she’s gonna stretch and outgrow that eventually. Just keep healthier options in the house.

A lot of the comments in here do not pass the vibe check. I was put on my first diet at 8 years old and it’s ruined my relationship with food. I would hide and sneak things because I wasn’t allowed. And now I’m in my late 20s over weight struggling to battle a binge eating disorder. If you’re that worried talk to her doctor.

I would start with education about foods. She’s at an age now where you can explain the benefits of healthy eating, what it does for your body ect. It’s best to encourage her to have a healthy relationship with food and to make good choices rather than fad diets that she will yo-yo on her whole life. Nutrition is key for a healthy body. And you want to nurture that. Your also the parent so you can refuse to buy the junk food in the house as well. If it’s not there she can’t eat it. And you can both choose a more healthy lifestyle and do it together.

No pop not many snacks like chocolate or chips every day, those put on the pounds but nothing but empty calories, drinking pop is the worst, if she doesn’t like cooked vegetables try raw ones with some Italian dressing for a dip, not no ranch dressing, make sure she goes outside to play every day to burn those calories every day, eat eggs but not the biscuits and gravy, go on nature hikes or just take her to a play ground, just don’t degrade her for her weight

Don’t put her on a set diet but start limiting her snacking. Make sure she is active at least an hour a day. Cut out soda and fruit juices. Also talk to your pediatrician. I did for my daughter and this is what was suggested along with making healthier choices. Limit processed foods and fast food. My daughter is 7 and 75lbs and 51 inches. So we have to watch her weight too.

Some of the judgment in these comments are unbelievable. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with wanting your child to be healthy - isn’t that what all us want for our children, to live long and healthy lives?

Anyway. I have struggled with this myself and I find it doesn’t help if us as parents aren’t setting the example ourselves. Make it a family lifestyle change. Stop buying the sugary foods, kids snacks have a lot of hidden ingredients. Cook healthy meals and only keep healthy snacks in the home. Set the example by eating the same. Get her involved in an active after school activity, dance and swim are fun for girls at that age.

And whatever you do, DO NOT MENTION HER WEIGHT. Absolutely no talk of calorie counting. I suggest following Kids Eat in Color, all of their advice is amazing for things like this.

my dauhter is 9 and eats like a pig …she will however eat veg fruit and salad…to keep her weight maintained she goes to street dance…swimming lessons and gymnastics keeps her lovley n trim xx

1 Like

“Getting a handle on things” is what’s going to make her self conscious. 9x out of 10. She is a child. With a relatively average weight for her age.

You’re the only one who seems to be self conscious about an 8 year olds weight. I hope to god you never bring it up in front of her, because that’s where the issue will start.

Some kids put a bit puppy fat on before a growth spurt id honestly wait untill she hits her teen years before Worring

My daughter is almost 8 and about the same measurements.

I’ve never brought up her weight, although I know I’m keeping an eye on it. However, SHE brought it up to us (mom & dad) and we explained that if she made healthier eating choices (giving her examples of what that means) and did more physical activity, she should be fine.

She is proud of herself to make healthier food choices (when she remembers to). She wasn’t quite as thoughtful around her drink choices so I mad a rule that however much you drink of a non-water drink, you have to drink the same amount in water.

I try to get her some extra exercise by walking home from school with her sometimes instead of picking her up everyday.

And, unrelatedly, she joined a soccer team. (Meaning, she was just interested in the sport, not interested in joining to lose weight)

I don’t talk about weight or body image (hers, mine or anyone else’s) and I try to talk positively about food like NOT saying “if u eat X it will make u fat” instead saying “if u eat Y it will make u strong”

I don’t limit food. But we have house rules around food - like the water rule I mentioned earlier

or eating all veggies before getting seconds of (whatever it is she’s asking seconds of)

or no eating after a certain time at night etc

And, of course, doing everything I can think of to add more physical activity- walk to/from school, play sports, park farther away from buildings/stores, going on family walks after dinner, etc.

I understand your concerns and I hope u found this helpful and I’m sorry for any negativity u received in your search for help.

Good luck mama! :heartpulse:

1 Like

Drink More Water less sugar no diets…she catches you trying to diet her behind her back then you really messed up. Look at the rest of her family’s stature. Are they thin or is she following suit and you dont like it because of your own personal issues. Let her be. Girls have enough to worry sbout

My grandson gained quite a bit of weight during the quarantine. But now he’s out and about a lot and I am seeing it come off a bit. I think when we are talking about children it has everything to do with activities. I put him in a parkour group and he’s more active.

My daughter is 9 and like 75 lbs and I just let her be. She is very active and is always outside I don’t stress about her weight… she is healthy and thats all I care about. Don’t stress over it.

My daughter is 8 now and she started to noticeably gain weight during lockdown. She loves to snack and would eat till she pops if I didn’t curve her away from the snacks. She started back at school, became more active and the extra weight started to melt away. However she’s always been atleast a size up from her age in clothes and she is perfectly healthy. Don’t ever mention weight issues to your daughter and never listen to the size by age charts online. Every person on the planet has different levels of bone mass to another, different height and a different ideal weight. Along as she is healthy, happy and active then she’s fine. Swap some snacks for things with a little less calories, introduce new things that you can eat along side her and start doing silly exercise things in the house as a family or even going for walks if you are VERY concerned. Otherwise let her be and monitor her intake and she’ll probably have a growth spurt and you’ll notice the change anyway.

They can only eat what’s available. Start walking with her and maybe playing something she enjoys. I struggle with all of this regarding my son

Encourage exercise and healthy eating habits now because it just gets harder as they get older. This is coming from someone who struggles with their weight and image

Healthier food, more fun activities less screen time. No diets. Children will fluctuate with weight throughout their childhood. As long as their eating habits and activities are healthy, their weight shouldn’t be the problem. Don’t make it an issue if it doesn’t have to be. You’ll cause anxiety and self esteem issues. Please look into other areas that need adjustment- eat with the TV off, more family meals without phones etc

If you make it fun and reward her efforts with a special activity or outing it’ll turn it into something positive - thereby making it more achievable!

This is how little girls are getting body image issues. Let them be kids. They haven’t even gone through puberty. Jesus sounds like you are the only self conscious one

1 Like

3meals a day only 2 snacks a day water not juice n soda and go do outside activities and when you make her plate give her a child size portion

Have her help you cook in the kitchen and make healthy alternatives to fast food like tortilla wrap pizzas and put sweet corn and other veggies on top

People forget that POUNDS look different on EVERYONE. It’s known to never even look at lbs on a scale when looking at weight, muscle weighs more than fat. Different body shapes can weight the exact same and look drastically DIFFERENT from one another. She’s looking for positive ways to try switching diet around. I agree not to ever mention her weight to her or show concern that you’re worried about her weight or make it KNOWN to her you’re changing her diet. Just adjust the food you buy for your home, increase activities to where over time it just feels normal for her to b around more fruits and veggies and finds different activities she’s interested in. 30 min a day of “play” time or being active is a good way to start! There’s lots of recipes online where veggies can substitute different sides of meals (cauliflower mashed potatoes is really good in my opinion! ) :two_hearts::sparkles:

Little girls can puff out a little before they start their period. Maybe that’s all it is

Try the veggie straws with zesty ranch for snacks. I really love them and so does my six years old niece.

My daughter is 9 next week and weighs 112lbs. But she’s tall and you can’t really tell. Anyways I include her into walking or getting in the yard riding bike playing ball. Also her pediatrician doesn’t see no “ obesity or wrong” as parents we don’t judge or hurt our children to make them feel self conscious. Offer other alternatives. Do healthy snacks

Don’t make it obvious it’s a problem just focus on what she enjoys that has to do with athleticism whether that be dancing, gymnastics, running , swimming, support her in that
Cut all sugar out of her diet and don’t give her anymore snacks

Same issue going on with my 9 year old but she is 125lbs and 4’6 and her dr pulled me to the side at her last appt because she is pre-diabetic so we have had to change her diet around as diabetes run in both sides of her father and I families and I also am a diabetic myself.
Very pick eater as well, we’ve changed up to honey wheat bread or tortilla wraps, switched rice to cauliflower rice, noodles to zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash depending on what we’re having. Smaller portions that what we usually would allow, and less snacking. No sodas at all, she mostly drinks water (by her choice she loves water & flavored waters). Her and I wake up every morning when her dad leaves for work and we get dressed and go to a river by our house which has a nice walking path and walk x amount of time each day. It has really helped her and I both and it’s a great bonding experience for us both. I did explain to her why she and I both had to go on a diet and get more active and told her there is nothing wrong with being a bigger person I myself have been 200+ lbs most my life but when it starts effecting your health in negative ways you gotta take care of yourself.

They grow up then out, up then out. Probably hormones. I wouldn’t jump to weight watchers.

Shes a child …incorporate veggies into her diet .

I wouldn’t be worried at all mama. But I understand your mama concern. I would just focus on more outdoor and active activities. I under it’s harder in certain places because of the weather and season. But there are so many cool YouTube “Keiki work outs” my son and I do Kosmic kids on YouTube it’s a British yoga channel and she is in costume and does each class legit. Like a Harry Potter, Elsa, etc. dressed and back drop to the best and even names her toga moves into a story. I have gotten my nieces and nephews to do it easy by their Interests. Like I said there’s a Star Wars kind then trolls etc. sooooooo many! She’s the best. And it’s fun!

Incorporate turkey, cheese, pretzels, any kind of fruit she’ll eat, most kids will eat grapes. Try not to buy the traditional unhealthy snacks as much, snack cakes, chips, pop etc. Is she showing interest in any sports? We got my daughter involved in softball and she loved it and it kept her active in the spring. But honestly she sounds pretty healthy just swap out some unhealthy snacks for healthier ones and try to get her to eat more of her meal at meal time. Are you all eating together at the table as a family or is everyone piling in front of the tv and eating? I feel like this makes a difference at meal time and I would suggest turning the tv off during meals. If she fills up on her meal she won’t feel the need to snack a lot.

Try to only offer healthy snacks between meals. You don’t have to make a thing of it. Just only keep healthy ones in the house.

Eating whole fruit instead of juice is helpful.

She’ll have a growth spurt and it will balance out.

My 8 yr old is 40kgs. Not sure about his height but he’s short. It’s a good average weight

She’ll only be self conscious if you keep talking ab her like that. She is a CHILD leave her alone

Cook and prepare healthier meals. Do active activities with her.

Wow !! This is actual ridiculous :flushed::sleepy::woman_facepalming:. Gonna cause your child to have sever problems in life !! But think there over weight at 8

Your child is. 36 kg and your worried and like 127cm tall :frowning_face_with_open_mouth: at 8 this is a very average weight. My son is far from over weight he is 130 cm 42 kg and 7 !! Why would u think there over weight - eating habits start young by the parent U start dieting an making them self conscious of there body now I’d hate to know what you would do when there older.

Go on walks with her. If she likes music, show her how to dance.

Make the unhealthy snacks less available and healthier more available.

Sports teams at school… Increases her activity to help her metabolism, gives her a sense of belonging and responsibility PLUS she will make new friends.

I had a friend who was bullied at school because she was overweight by 8 and her parents didn’t do something about it so I think it’s good that you are reaching out. I agree with everyone saying to not mention it to her.
I also think to cut down but not cut out unhealthy snacks. Moderation will prevent bingeing. Maybe extra trips to the park or soft plays? I think exercise would be the most positive way to move forward.

At that age the best thing you can do is model the eating and activity you want to instill in her. Body image is also contagious, so love your body openly. Talk about what healthy & strong bodies are capable of and why it’s important to prioritize health. Stay away from “looks based” comments about bodies including strangers, hers and your own.
Start meal planning for yourself. Get her involved with meal planning, kids are more open to trying food they’re involved in preparing. Let her be involved in choosing a new fruit or veggie each week, and pick recipes you two can make together. Don’t assume she’s a picky eater. It can take many times trying something before we realize we “like” certain foods. Keep including fruits and veggies, institute a 2 bite rule and make sure she’s consistently trying/tasting healthy foods. “You don’t have to like it, but you have to try it”. Don’t make anything of it when she respond negatively, eat what she doesn’t want yourself because you love veggies and she’s watching you for a reaction. I’ve found that talking about foods I used to dislike but now love, help my kids see that it’s normal not to love everything immediately. She’ll eventually find ones she likes.

We should all move at least 3 hours a day to stay physically, mentally and emotionally healthy. Extra points when that movement happens outside. Find things she enjoys doing. Don’t focus on “weight loss/weight management”. Focus on the reality that moving bodies are healthy bodies.

It’s normal to get a little fluffy around 8/9. Usually there’s hormonal changes taking place. If you institute good lifestyle habits, and solid self esteem/body image, any extra weight will take care of itself, as she gets taller.

Her bmi is normal, look it up !

Meals no snacks. Snacks are a treat for eating the right food.

You can diet all you want. Make sure it’s not horemonal or other before blaming food right off the bat

Whatever you do please be careful in saying anything to your daughter. I was heavier as a child and my mom would make comments. She never said thing to intentionally hurt but she made me self conscious when I never had been before.

12 Likes