My child is becoming a bit overweight, what should I do to manage her weight?

Stop buying snacks, sodas and unhealthy treats

Make meals that u can mix the vegetables into.

You should unlearn your internalized fatphobia before you even think of speaking to an EIGHT year old about it. Omg wtf did I just read?

What does her pediatrician say?

1 Like

What about putting her in a sport? Soccer helped our family managed weight issues.

Have you tried being supportive of her body?

How about you ask her dr?

Lots of movement healthy yummy snacks fruits,vegetables

what the actual? who even feels the need to comment on a child’s weight? :woman_facepalming:t3:

13 Likes

Up water intake start family walks

1 Like

I would ask her pediatrician, she may be on track!

Cut out the juices/sodas. It’s the absolute worst thing for human beings. There are alternatives that taste great. My 15 yr old has been addicted to Diet Pepsi since he was 2. (Yes, he snuck mine allllll the time) but there hasn’t been a pop in my house for 8 months. It was hard for him at first (about 2 months) then I found zevia root beer which he loves and sparkling ice lemon lime taste just like Sprite. It’s take the sugar out of their diet. When it comes to food try to limit the carbs. Take bread, rice, potatoes out and it’s amazing the difference. You’ll need to talk with a medical professional if you plan to make big changes. It’s a shock. Start small. Find healthy alternatives she enjoys.

Let that baby eat… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Put her in soccer. Or any sport really, she’ll slim right down.

Omg such toxic "advice " on here!!! Anxiety has tons to do with kids eating habits , not giving them options is toxic. Give them options! Involve them! Teach them! Ffs some of yall are running a fkn military in your house instead of raising actual humans to live life what a shame for your kids

Nestle makes these child size water bottles . They often times have a popular movie theme on the drinks or something to go w the holiday . I buy those then when they r at school I put limeade flavor in them and cap them back up . Put them in fridge . The kids think it’s looks if it juice lol . That helps w calories tremendously. This WK it’s sugar skulls all over them , next WK it will be different.

Cut the snacks stay to the 3 main healthy meals. Water no Juices. Try all new veg. Any veg is better then no veg. My kids prefer frozen to fresh. Not only does it last longer you have more for your money too.
Make better choice to walk places if you can.
My daughter was classed as obese with her last school weigh in, but she’s not fat, or over weight. But her dense muscle tissue weights more. Upsetting really.

Stop the snacks. She will eventually get hungry and eat what you give her. Your the mom, take control of the situation and make her eat healthier. Make her eat what you put in front of her. Trust me it will take some time but stick with it.

My 9 yr old is the same height and weight and her dr said she is perfectly fine and healthy. This is how child develop eating disorders. Leave your child’s weight alone she’ll be hitting a growth spurt soon. I swear some parents should not be parents!

She probably is going to habe a growth spurt soon. All 3 of my kids between ages 8-10 got pretty chunky then shot straight up.and thinned out. I wouldn’t worry about as of now. Just make sure she eats healthy and stays active

Stop giving her starch and sugar.
Dehydrated fruits taste like candy

If she weighs 80lb and is 8 shes not a picky eater. Shes being allowed to have what she wants instead of whats healthy.

Dont give her the options. She’s not gonna starve if you don’t give in.
Dont let her have chips and crackers and cookies
Dont allow those options.

Put her in sports gymnastics :woman_cartwheeling: soccer something she would like to do

Some of comments are far from being supportive. And THIS is why so many women have eating disorders and self esteem issues. She asked for advice not judgement.

Don’t give her junk food or sugary food just because she won’t eat anything else. Many “healthy” snack foods are full of sugar. What we had in the good old days. If you don’t eat it then you’ll go hungry. She’ll eat vegetables if she is hungry.

You putting her on a diet and making her feel like she is fat IS what will cause her insecurities. If your doctor didn’t tell you to put her on a diet shame on you.

So children gain and the shoot up , my daughter is an athlete has been since pre k , you know your kid isn’t lazy “ right? so there’s that information, let her be a kid , and if your really worried about it stop letting her snack without telling her , just don’t have snacks In The house , and use words like strong and healthy , eat meat , potatoes , and vegetables. Keep it simple, but I guarantee it won’t change because she’s still growing but atleast your still nourishing her to grow in a healthy strong way. Kids gain and shoot up , some kids gain a lot and shoot up like 2 Ft , and before the parent thinks oh my child is getting overweight they don’t stop and look at themselves and say well we are a tall family or an athletic filled family or just short and strong… she’s a kid, feed her foods in meals, and allow maybe two snacks a day , mid morning and mid afternoon. She’s a growing girl just like any other child at this age.

Don’t stop buying snacks but buy healthier snacks, like veggie or lentil crisps and fruit snacks etc, they still have sugar so they’re sweet but not nearly as much sugar as normal sweets. Enroll her in a class like karate or gymnastics etc or go for family walks or to the park.

Take her on daily walks​:heart::heart:. A good way to bond and get in shape. Nothing wrong at all for wanting to get a handle on your childs weight before it can become a potential problem.

Sounds like normal weight to me

My daughter is almost 5 and is 65 lbs… she’s was almost 9 pounds at birth… always has been in the highest percentile for height and weight… she’s a child…she will start thinning out as she grows…

I would definitely see what her doctor thinks. People could look at my son and say he is underweight or not thriving, but according to his charts he is growing on pace with his history.

She doesn’t like vegetables because they aren’t cooked right. Season those suckers

Sounds like you got the problem she’s a kids leave her alone your goin to make her self conscious

Hormones play a huge part now a days because of all the artificial hormones in our foods.

Discuss with peds. And teach her how to cook.

She is actually perfect weight for her age tho like wtf?

It’s sad but my son already at 8 thinks he is fat other kids at school sad but I tell him he comes for a long line of tall men in his family 6’2 is the smallest he plays outside for hours and eats everything we put on his plate I just tell him to not mind the other kids his time will come

My friend’s kid liked pizza so she made a healthy low cal crust and blended up veggies in the sauce so they were hidden. I’m no a vegetarian but I have tried some of the vegetarian chicken patties and nuggets and they were pretty good. Turkey burger instead of beef. Put a greens powder in a vanilla protein shake-I make it with orange juice and a banana or blueberries or whatever you want. Can’t taste the greens.

Healthy foods for snacks only. Fruits, veggies, have her help you pick them out. Less carbs for meals. More whole foods. Stay away from processed. It’s important she knows what each kind of food does to her body. No juice or soda.

My daughter is 13 and weighs 180. I let it be, the kids make it a big deal and call her fat and other things. But she busts ass on her soccer team and those kids think she’s great! She personally doesn’t care what people think and that what I teach her so she doesn’t loose her self esteem. I’m hoping the Idc attitude will get her past the kids that are asses about her weight.

1 Like

Let kids be kids. As long as she is active and eats a well balemced diet, let her be a kid.

There’s just something about this post that is not sitting right with me.

2 Likes

smaller portions during meals and less snacks during the day should help. Same thing was happening to me as a child and my mom just cut my food portions in half and if she wants excessive snacks instead of the normal 2 to 3, maybe just substitute it with a veggie or a physical activity :slightly_smiling_face:

Give her body a good chance to burn off the food so plenty of exercise and more time in between eating.

Snack on healthy stuff only. Having a cheat day once aweek and she chooses the snacks maybe? Make it fun not a big deal. She’s guaranteed to have a growth spurt soon. My boys would chunk up abit and grow a half foot overnight. Crazy how they do. All the best🖤

I was a chunky kid, mum got me into sports, athletics, and aerobics. Aerobics became something we did together.

After dinner walks do wonders and dancing to songs is just as good as aerobics

37kg :flushed:
Ummm I’m sorry but that’s not overweight for a 8 year old
This is concerning- you’re a actually concern of mine :expressionless::thinking:

5 Likes

Yikes :grimacing: setting your kid up for insecurity & disordered eating at 8 years old. Great job. :+1:

1 Like

Veggie smoothies add a little sugar to mask the taste

Speak with your PCP about this.

Talk to her pediatrician

See a Paediatrician for a refferal if your concerned

Whatever you do DON’T approach her about weight. Provide healthy snacks and encourage physical activity. It may just be a phase in her growth.

2 Likes

Move more, I wouldnt restrict diet. Go out more, walk more that’s the best way.

63 Likes

How about leave her and her weight alone?:grin:disgusting that parents want to change their children

23 Likes

Kids have growth spurts where they get chubby and then shortly after their height catches up and they slim down

20 Likes

Don’t want her to be self conscious but let’s have mom point out she thinks I’m fat. Smh.
How about not say anything and let her be 8. Don’t buy junk food she can’t eat what’s not there.
Sounds like mom is pushing some of her own insecurities on her child. Sad

14 Likes

For one. You’re not going to talk to her about her weight. You’re not going to tell her she needs to snack less or snack on different food because of her weight. What you can do as the parent is put the appropriate snacks in the house and ask her if she would like to go on a walk with you. Or go throw a ball around. Or play volley ball with YOU. Because you would enjoy those things with her. She doesn’t have to have any idea why you are making small changes. But if you even a tiny bit make her feel like she needs to change something you are opening the door to self consciousness. Which is wrong. You love her the way she is. Period.

10 Likes

Go for walks or give here more outside time .less tv and tablet time
Cut junk and sweets .portion her better .give her the veggies she likes and watch them with her

10 Likes

This sounds more like a “you” issue and not an her issue. If you talk to your daughter about this. Your going to give her early insecurities and most likely an eating disorder at such a young age. And those just don’t go away cuz she “gets skinny” she could live with it the rest of her life and you would have been the cause. Shes 8 years old. Let her be a child…
No one lets children be children anymore and its just sad.

9 Likes

I wouldn’t put her on a diet, but maybe change up what snacks you keep in the house instead, if she is hungry enough she’ll eat some carrots with pb, a wrap, or something healthy. She is not unhealthy now from the sounds. If you have concerns change up your buying for the house.

6 Likes

First before anything, please do not ever comment about her weight. I’m not saying you have but keep any thoughts you are having at all to you. If you want to get your family healthy; it will have to be a household change. If the snacks are unhealthy; replace them. Celery and PB, apples dipped in a homemade healthy fruit dip, etc. are good replacements. I would do away with them completely and not single her out. As far as veggies; a lot of kids do not like veggies sitting on a plate. There are several meals you can make that incorporates veggies and most of the time they won’t know. Start making healthier switches for your whole house.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t put a kid on a “diet” But you are the parent, the one buying the foods she has access to. Pick healthier snacks to keep on hand for her. Make healthy dinners. If you keep junk food around then obviously that’s what they’ll eat. Have her help cook with you. You have to set a good example and hopefully she’ll follow.

1 Like

My son is too. And this came from his doctor. But he also didn’t recommend a diet and just encourage him to play outside and don’t tell him no when he wants a snack but instead offer something healthy

2 Likes

I am a soda junkie. I love Pepsi. But I’ve started drinking more water and I’ve noticed my 10 year old and 7 year old have started drinking water in a lot lot more. I also stopped buying a lot of junk food. If it’s not here not an option. When it is here I tell them I will allow one sugar snack a day and that’s it. They don’t always listen to that but we’re starting to do a little better. I think covid hit all of us a little hard including children

2 Likes

Try getting her involved with making her food if she’s not already. Might make things more exciting to eat if she did the work herself. Plus great way to teach math and nutrition at the same time

1 Like

Have more healthy snacks around and “bad “ snacks not in house. Set an example. Get her busy doing outside activities with her . If she is busy she won’t eat as much .

1 Like

My daughters 8 and around 70 to 75 the doctor told us shes in great health. Id talk with her doctor if you haven’t already to help you understand this is a normal weight for her​:yellow_heart::yellow_heart: they go through this growing up its normal

1 Like

My son was very young when he was diagnosed with asthma. With this came steroids. Steroids make you want to eat. Yes he became over weight. He eventually grew out of his asthma as he got older. No more steroids, no more over eating. My point here is I heard so many times you need to put ur son on a diet. He needs to do this. He needs to do that. Let her be!! She’s still growing. My son lost all the weight. He looks great now.

I wouldnt put her on a diet cause that might make her self conscious… Try doing more activities, try geocaching, its fun for the whole family :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unprocess her diet as much as possible. You will be surprised what kids will eat if not given any other choice. Make fruit salad put into single serving bowls for her to grab and go, cut up veggies get some dip set it out or make it easily available for snacking. Make some finger sandwiches keep in the fridge so she can eat them when she is hungry. Make Meat and cheese rolls literally cheese stick with fresh deli wrapped around it, for something sweet yogurt my kids like frozen yogurt, also my kids like sweet and salty granola bars and trail mix. Idk maybe taking her usual snack out of the equation will help and these are just some ideas to get you started.

1 Like

Typically before puberty A LOT of little girls get a little pudge and then have a large growth spurt. Ages 8-14 are a really challenging time in a girls body and there can be a ton of fluctuations. She doesn’t need a diet. She needs to be up and moving and have an endless supply of the healthy options she WILL eat. Make trying new foods fun. Try making them different ways.

1 Like

My mom made a comment ONCE when I was about 7 that I was getting a little chunky and should not have seconds at dinner if I’m not hungry anymore, and I’m now 26 and still suffer from an eating disorder. I was 92lbs my junior year and thought and still think I’m fat since that day. Please don’t tell your child anything at all in regards to being anything but beautiful. If you’re worried, plan family or friend outings that are active, don’t bring junk in the house, and go outside and play with her for fun. But please don’t ever let her think she’s anything but incredible the way she is.

1 Like

Exercise together, stop buying junk food, teach good habits by example and inclusivity. Do not use the word diet, in the sense of weight loss, with an 8 year old

1 Like

Don’t put her on a diet or even talk to her about her weight please. It will set her up for unhealthy eating habits. Move more is the best way. Stop buying unhealthy snacks. When mine were snacking a lot the question became, “are you hungry or are you bored?” I know I’m guilty of snacking when bored. If bored is the answer then they will find something else to so.

1 Like

This whole thread makes me sad. As a 25 year old still battling anorexia and binge eating its hard. My child is 7 she eats pretty much like a pig. She’s like 75/80 pounds and almost 5 foot tall. Her doctor doesn’t have an issue with her weight and I ain’t about to give my child body issues. Leave her be and let her be a child. She will go threw a growth spurt and all the extra “fat” will be evenly distributed.

1 Like

Don’t restrict food. It will take a while but just find healthier options without her knowing they r healthy. I believe they have baked chips and healthier chicken nuggets and Annie’s Mac n cheese. No butter! It’s all healthier options without them knowing. Just have to research…good luck😊

1 Like

Look up some of the feeding therapy techniques for feeding disorders like ARFID, and also maybe see if she may have ARFID, a fear of trying new foods like veggies. Not everyone with ARFID are skinny. The saying that says kids will eat when hungry is NOT true, especially for those with ARFID. I know this because I am an adult that has had this all of my life. Her issues may also be sensory issues, so you can always consult a pediatrician to see if seeing a gastroenterologist will be of any help.

Growing kids are fine. Some kids get a little chunky before growth spurts. Putting kids on diets can cause them harm at a young age. Giving them ED and making them insecure.
You can stop buying unhealthy snacks and only offer healthier snacks. Eventually she will eat it if it’s all you have to offer. Still offer veggies and fruits with meals. Just don’t bring up her weight in front of drs or other people in front of her. If Dr wants to talk her weight, tell them not infront of her. So she doesn’t start at a young age of thinking she is “fat”

Do people feel it’s inappropriate to let kids know that eating bad can make them unhealthy and gain weight my son wants McDonald’s all the time I usually let I’m indulge cuz he’s 5 but I always tell him that it’s not healthy to eat this all the time and it could make him fat so we need to be carful how often we eat it I’m I wrong in my approach

The frequency of these posts regarding girls who are healthy and normal is becoming concerning. My 8 year old daughter who is beautiful and also 7 lbs heavier than this parents, she is absolutely fine. She is still growing and changing. She eats healthy, she’s super active. She’s a normal girl. She’s called fat by mean girls and neighborhood bullies. Kids who are often the same body type as she is. There is something very wrong with children casually calling each other fat as a bullying method and I fear that much of it is starting at home.

1 Like

She can be up to 88.5 lbs at her height and still be in a normal BMI so honestly I think this is more of a you issue than a her issue. She should be focused on eating healthy and eating To when she is full and staying active. She is perfectly healthy and not near an overweight BMI. I hope you don’t say these things to her.

Just making my kid drink a lot of water and lots of exercise has helped my 3 yr old. We still snack, and I have a rule you have to try things at least once. She figured out she likes broccoli, Brussels sprouts, asparagus and other veggies, but I did have a few battles with her where she refused to eat and when she realized she was super hungry she ate the food. We hardly eat fast food unless as a treat. So we still have our snacks but it’s like goldfish and apple slices, yogurt, and stuff that’s better than chips and cookies

My little one is very picky with veg as well. I make her a smoothie everyday with dessert tofu which is still healthy, we use coconut or banana, lots of spinach, avocado, banana, strawberries, and coconut milk of coconut water. I buy frozen avocado and fresh spinach that way she gets that in daily at least. We also had hemp hearts. And get lots of outside time when you can!

Yah definitely stop making it about weight. Reframe this for you and her to be about health. Find some way to stay active together or encourage her to try an activity she might like with a friend. Would she be interested to learning to cook? Or garden?
I think some people are made to be snackers. I’d just offer smaller portions of healthy meals more often. Have her help prepare the food. Let her chose what goes on her plate. If she helped make a veggie a new way she might want to try it.

Keep her busy go on walks have a daily schedule so she isn’t getting bored and snacking make sure she has healthy meals or as healthy as you can get her to eat. Have her drinks lots of water most of the time when people snack or feel hungry they are actually thirsty.

My 5 year old daughter is 75 lbs and 100% not fat nor unhealthy!!! She’s more than a head taller than every single other kindergarten. Built solid like my other 3 kiddos, but not overweight

Do Not I Repeat Do Not Start talking about weight with an 8 year old. I let my kids dr carry on that non sense about my daughter and she ended up with a eating disorder. The school called me because she was refusing to eat every day. I caught her in the pantry reading ingredients and calories etc etc. It was a battle. Let her be. You control the snacks you buy so buy healthier snacks. If you’re unsure of her intake of what she needs buy some pediasure and have her drink 1 or 2 a day. This is a dangerous slippery slope you don’t want to go down.

It’s not just your weight that makes you overweight. Your height as to even out as well. She says her 8 year old is 50 inches tall. My 5 year old is also 50 inches tall. Shes 4ft and 2ins tall weighting 80 something pounds. Technically she would be over weight.

I wouldnt tell her that. I would just make chances to EVERYONES diet and be more active with her. Yall go on a hike, or play a sport, jump on a trampoline, etc. Everyday for so long.

I wouldn’t even talk to her about “weight” tell her the family is making changes to be healthier. Stop buying junk food and offer her healthy meals. If she doesn’t eat it then too bad. Eventually she will eat it or try it. Kids aren’t going to let themselves starve. I make what I make at my house and the kids have to at least try everything I make, usually they end up liking it after I make it.

If you are concerned talk to your child’s pediatrician. THEY will let you know if your child is over weight for their age. Alot goes into that, height, genetics etc. Kids, especially girls, almost always tend to “bulk up” prior to starting their periods and around this age group. But again. Talk to your child’s pediatrician if your concerned

If her growth curve is on track, I wouldn’t worry too much. The best thing you can do is not draw attention to it, otherwise you’ll make her feel self conscious about it. Teach good eating habits and exercise regularly. Teaching healthy habits now are more likely to stick later. Also helps if you do them with her so she knows it’s good for everyone. When you comment in her, don’t talk about her body image, draw attention to her mental and emotional health instead, such as how kind or considerate she is.

My son is about to be 6 and he is 60 lbs and my 9 year old daughter is 62 lbs and he has a 8 pack and she is a bean pole with not a Oz of meat on her. All kids are different but if you feel her weight is an issue you need to fix it with out voicing it. Remind her constantly she is beautiful. Maybe do it as a family and state you want the whole family to get healthy then do something with her like exercising or just long walks everyday and make sure she is well hydrated with water and cook healthy. If she can’t eat what you cook for everyone that is healthy then she doesn’t need snacks.

I would have her move more and cut down on sugar. Don’t buy soda and juice. I also wouldn’t bring cookies and cakes in the house. When your not looking they’ll go through a whole box of that stuff.

My son is the same size but he is only 6… I think all we can do is encourage healthier eating she can only eat what you buy my son is a bad snacker but I buy apple sauce, grapes, string cheese things that arent too bad then I switched out sugary drinks for Gatorade zero they have packets that can be mixed with water as well, and just plain ol water we also try to keep him in a sport or physical activity of some sort

Could be approaching a growth spurt. Just keep healthy things in the house and try to avoid eating out and fast food often. Avoid high fructose corn syrup if possible. It changes the body’s insulin response.

Don’t buy anymore snacks when she gets hungry she’ll have no choice but to try options that are around when you buy snack she probably feels that if she’s hungry she can grab those and not have to eat whatever is for lunch or dinner if you do keep snacks make them healthy snacks

She will eat what’s available…stop buying food you don’t want her to have. Don’t turn into a health nut, but you can also introduce family walking time or get dance video games, or do zumba together as a family.

With that said, she’s still growing so don’t stress about her weight.

My daughter is around the same height and weight the doctor said she’s growing perfectly and honestly if you worried about your child being overweight it’s best to talk to your child’s doctor. Put her in sports if the school has them & walks are always great.