My child is becoming a bit overweight, what should I do to manage her weight?

My child’s 2 and weights 38 pounds. He’s not skinny and not over weight he’s just a bigger boy for his age. Every child is different everyones body takes things differently. If you want to help her good for you momma but don’t listen to negative feedback.

I would cut back on the non healthy snacks that you buy ,purchase more of the fruits and veggies your child likes…if you want to try new healthy options make smoothies…I do for my child from time to time… Eat healthy around your child as well and set good examples, have your child help make lunch and suppers,get outside and go for walks together or whatever physical activity you both enjoy… remember she is still a child and has a lot of growing to do.

I would focus less in you thinking she’s overweight and start talking about healthy food and filler foods. The importance of eating meals or no snacks, something with protein or substance that actually fills the stomach versus snacks that are produced to induce hunger. Offer/help prepare healthy options, like we love apples and peanut butter. Focus on the food without giving her a weight complex.

At that age kid get ready chubby before they hit a massive growth spurt. Don’t do anything except set a good example for her. Exercise as a family. But honestly she is fine and doesn’t need to lose weight unless a doctor says so. But that is pretty average size among kids. If you start making a big deal of her weight or make her diet and exercise that will cause eating disorders

My daughter is unhealthy overweight according to her pediatrician. She’s 8 years old. 96 lbs. Not tall. In a size 14. Her problem is portions and eating continuously. She eats vegetables, fruit… All good stuff but she sits and eats at all so I struggle with what do I do. Say hey, no more carrots - you already chomped half the bag, all the peas, 2 bags of broccoli, and green beans for two. She eats like that all day if I allow it.

I wouldn’t make her diet. Introduce more healthy foods and change your eating over time. Get her into a sport or some type of physical activity outside of school. Her weight and height are average for her age.

We’re having the same issue. My daughter is on the short side but she is 10 and 121lbs
I’m 28 and barely over 100lbs and about 7in taller than her. Diabetes runs in her dads side of the family and that also scares the crap outta me.

Well, she’s 8, so I would say don’t give her the option to “refuse” trying new things. I wouldn’t force her to eat thing she doesn’t like, but I would definitely demand she tries at least 2 or 3 bites… also maybe try cooking the veggies in a different way; I hated them growing up until I was old enough to experiment with different methods to cook them. More home cooked meals, and take away the option to snack (unless fruit) if she’s not eating her nutritional meals. Less screen time and more time moving her body!

Leave her be. As a child I was BIG!! Between 5-9 I would go to my friends house after school, have snack of either pizza pops or ice cream, and we would have supper around 5, then I would go home and STILL eat supper with my family. I don’t even know how much I weighed. But then when I was 9 I started hitting puberty, my extra fat?? Gone. I stretched up and lost most of my weight and stayed that way. Don’t pressure her about anything right now let her body do what it needs to do.

There are so many things you can do with/for an 8 year old that doesn’t have anything to do with a diet. Gogurt, string cheese, peanuts/trail mix bananas, apples, oranges, applesauce, goldfish crackers are options for healthier snacks. Beef sticks, granola bars, cheese cubes etc… Bike riding, walking/hiking, roller skating, dance party in your living room, sports are great too. Soccer, basketball, softball, make it fun. Also, take her to the grocery store with you & let her pick out 1 junk food snack for the week. Whether it’s chips, cookies, whatever, she’s still a kid & it’s ok to have a little junk food.

My son is 49 inches tall and 91 lbs after coming back from his dads for the summer. No its not healthy weight for a 7 or 8 year old. And he does have a bigger bone structure and a stomach that of a grown man’s. A little fluff is ok, but not a whole lot. I had a simple conversation after hearing from his pediatrician, and told him that his extra fat is unhealthy. I also told him that we have heart diseases and diabetes that run rampant in the family, and that it could happen that he would get one of those if we didn’t get him healthier. Now my son can be a sloth, even though he goes to school, runs and does karate. His overweight frame is affecting his balance, coordination, and movement. And that is on top of never really letting him have unhealthy snacks, absolutely no soda unless sprite on special occasions, no junk food in the house. Teaching healthy portions, and making a game of losing weight, chugging water before dinner, small plate, chugging water after. And possible dessert depending on behavior. I do it with him, as I have baby weight to lose as well.

The best thing you can do is demonstrate a heathy relationship to good and exercise. Don’t restrict her food, don’t talk to her about her weight. Be active and cook balanced meals with her.

My girl started gaining weight fast at that age…age 10 and 109lbs…dr talked about healthy food choices and exercise…but she doesn’t excessively eat, lots of veggies but snacking too…i knew something wasnt right…insisted on having her thyroid checked, he didnt want to but i pushed!!! Bamn…hypothyroidism

I think you’re an absolutely fantastic mom!! Habits formed during childhood affect adulthood and starting her on something now would give her the tools to be a healthier adult.
I do agree with some of the people saying that you should not bring her weight up to her that could give her a complex. I would suggest cleaning up your fridge and pantry and getting rid of the junk food. If she asks you why just let her know you’re trying to be healthier as a family. 2nd I would suggest getting up and moving maybe a sport? That would not only help with exercise but give her a place to make more friends which is always good for children.

My son is 6 and he likes to snack or eat junk food vs healthier food so I try to compromise with him on snack options. Also smoothies are a great way to get in the veggies, fruit and protein if needed. My son loves a good smoothie!

Coming from someone who battled obesity all through my childhood and teen years, don’t give the girl a complex. Seriously… The more my mom stressed about my weight, the more I binged. I’d give anything if my mom would have taken a better approach to things. By the time I was 20, I weighed 309 pounds. When I had my daughter, I had such a hard time healing from my c-section, and I went and talked to a nutritionist. She was the most helpful person. She never once made me feel bad for my choices, but, she also told me to NEVER EVER EVER call a diet, a diet. She told me to get in the mindset of it being a “lifestyle change”. Just be kind momma… My mom wasn’t so kind. She wasn’t mean, but I heard alot of… “we wouldn’t have to shop at Lane Bryant if you’d stop eating so much” and other statements along those lines.

When my son’s doctor suggested that he lose weight at age 14, I decided to change my eating habits and we lost weight together. We just started eating healthier and skipping the 2nd helping. Adding more water helps too. My son lost 25 pounds and he has maintained a healthy weight. He is 30 now.

Try doing yoga with her. There is a cute one on YouTube that’s called Cosmic Kids Yoga and it’s so much fun. I do it with my daughter. She makes a story to go along with the yoga :wink:

Maybe I’m just a strict mom but I would be making something healthy and she eats or she goes to bed without dinner. She’ll eat when she gets hungry.

First off, healthy eating should have been introduced when she was still a baby! Second she can’t eat junk if mom doesn’t buy it! Third, she’s 8! Don’t mention weight or her size to her… chances are as she gets taller she will thin out! As for the now, stop buying junk foods and instead get fresh fruits! Even if she resists the first few attempts keep offering it! Tell her no snacks before dinner and mean it! Offer a prize for cleaning her plate! She’s 8, so she very well can understand about healthy eating and giving your body the right fuel! It’s up to you mom to teach her that!!!

Replace any sort of junkish foods with healthy options, no matter if they like them or not. I personally was told I was over weight by my preteen doctor at 5’10 165lbs I was over weight. Which my OB told me I was a healthy weight at the time. My 4 year old is 4’ even and 71lbs and was told he’s obist. He was born at almost 11lbs, I was told he could have a thyroid issue. He’s been a very steady rate of growing since birth. As long as the growing rate is equal to birth growing rates I wouldn’t be worried. I am still 5’10 155lbs and healthy as could be. My mom put me into basketball camp, dance classes, gymnastics and anything she could think of. Make sure your child is eating in portions and staying active and they’ll be fine. Portions are everything.

My son was always a bit heavy and it would worry me so I get it! My advice is get her in a sport she likes or martial arts/dance to keep her active and leave a bowl of healthy snack…dump the sugary stuff so its not an option. Do NOT tell her you’re concerned about her weight.

She is still growing, hasn’teven hit puberty yet. You can help her eat better, but I wouldn’t do a diet. I mean, my niece is 12, 5’4 and 150lbs… and she is still growing. Children don’t need diets. Maybe have her help with dinner, or you look for new recipes with her to see what she is willing to try.

One of my daughters had always been in the 90% for her weight. She’s a sophomore in HS now and she just dropped 30 lbs. (slowly) due to her lifestyle changing. She is more active in school programs, that’s the biggest change for her. Offer healthy snacks, they won’t always eat them, I know. When she would ask for seconds, I’d tell her I wanted them too but lets wait about 20 mins and see if we’re full. And as many have said here already, I NEVER commented on her size. We discussed family genetics & obesity but NEVER related to her physical appearance. When I went to the gym, it was always to feel more “healthy” not because I was “fat” or hated something about my appearance.

She seems fine for her weight mine is 9 and a good bit over that but she is tall wears a size 10 in women’s shoes!

Just lots of exercise and healthier options for eating limit the junk food she will eat what u give her if hungry enough

I thought many young kids gain weight and lose weight as they are growing!? I agree healthy eating is a good thing not only for weight issues but also for the health of the kiddo but I’ve seen many kids put on weight and then have a growth spurt and end up losing the weight. I know it may not be that way for all kids but it definitely happens often with children that age.

It is perfectly normal to be worried. My daughter’s pediatrician is worried about her because she is 7 years old and is 106 pounds. It is something to worry about. When you don’t, doctors tell you shit like your 7 year old has high cholesterol… so yes mama, keep doing what you’re doing! Ignore these “perfect” moms. You’re doing fine

Thank you for choosing your daughters health. Thats all. Its crazy how many really over weight kids there are. Idk if that counts as over weight if we dont care as parents who will

As a kid I got what my parents put on the plate or I went to bed hungry. I learned to eat what I was offered or ordered and to be happy with it. This hasn’t caused me any eating disorders or anything negative. If anything it kept me from gaining wayyyy much weight because I am also a picky eater but it also made my pallet more open to other things like salads and eggs and toast and cottage cheese and more healthier options. So that’s my recommendation. As you being the parent you can tell them to eat everything on their plate before they leave the table. And explain that it’s because they need all their nutritional values to make them healthy. Then they will more so understand because school teaches the food groups still.

If she’s truly hungry she will choose a healthy snack vs a unhealthy snack. So always have fruits or something healthy available. And be like well instead of a bad a chips how about an apple and if she refuses or changes her mind than she’s really not hungry and alot of times you think your hungry and your really just thirsty.

I’m seeing a lot of negativity around this post…I personally agree children should not diet but you should encourage healthier eating habits without letting her know it’s because you view her as overweight. Some children go through a little chunky faze right before a growth spurt. Give her healthy foods to choose from…get rid of some of the unhealthy snacking and replace it with healthier options. It’s ok to be concerned about your child’s weight…people forget obesity is one of the biggest health concerns out country has and it in turn causes more strain on our healthcare systems. Push healthy eating not dieting or losing weight

Model healthy habits, have yummy healthy treats that you prepare together, have her help you plan fun outings. Don’t make it about her weight. Make it about your family and a healthy, happy lifestyle where you are together.

As a child who was over weight and has struggled with weight all my life, take her to the doctors! Take her to a nutritionist. Have a very gentle approach because you could absolutely destroy her self confidence and self esteem. I dont think it’s wrong to be concerned about your childrens weight but this is a health related issue and she needs to be seeing a doctors if you have concerns.

My kids don’t eat any fruit and very little veg but They eat what they fancy, 3 times a day, usually small portions they are all average weight.

Encourage activities where she is moving:family walks, bowling, going on bike rides stuff like that and more water than juice, tea or soda. But no diets just encourage healthier foods.

Maybe sit down and do a lesson on why its so important to eat healthy and be active… don’t say its to lose weight but its to keep our organs happy and healthy. There are kids museums with amazing habds on activities for the human anatomy and what your body needs. Thats how i learned! She’s going to think she’s being tortured if she doesn’t understand why it’s so important

We were told to push water. A lot of water. And fruits and veggies. My son lost 15 pounds in close to 3 months. But we also homeschool so I made sure to add more active pe and started taking them on walks when it was nice out

If it’s in your budget I would consider fun family outings like the trampoline park, things that are a workout that don’t feel like one.
I agree with these other ladies as to not mention weight.
But encourage her to play more.

Maybe some fun classes? Like swimming or a sport also my ped said to switch to water instead of juice and minimal milk because my older so would drink all his calories so to speak

Maybe enroll in some activities? My daughter was chunky until this summer she went to camp and now started school and she lost weight. Her pediatrician had said she was nearing the overweight category for her age and height but now she’s within normal ranges (70th percentile)

SHOW her healthy eating habits and exercise. she’s going to learn by what her mama is doing, so i would start there. make it something you two (or the entire family) do together :black_heart:

Your diet & exercise have to match what you want hers to. If you eat healthy she will start to eat better. If she loves to snack she gets to snack on healthy foods or she doesn’t get to snack. Mine LOVES Doritos. So she gets a banana after school & then gets a half of serving of Doritos. She’s 4 but I taught her to read serving sizes- it’s a “fun” way to recognize numbers. She hated veggies until I started eating more. If she’s a sweets kid keep fruits in the house & have her seeing you snacking on fruit. “Oh dinner was good but I want some dessert- I’m gonna have some strawberries!” And when you exercise don’t call it that. “You wanna go on a walk with mommy?” “Wanna dance with mommy?” My 17 year old hears me say “I ate a lot of junk food today. I’m gonna go for a walk to level it out!” It’s all about your relationship with food & movement.

Food isn’t a treat. There’s better for you food and food you have to have moderation with.

Sounds weird, but I serve veggies and fruit as appetizers before lunch and dinner while I make food

Bowl of carrots and grapes or bananas or whatever on the table before dinner. 90% of the time it’s gone before dinner is served

Switch to whole grains, change portion sizes, don’t keep juices/junk in the house

Omg some of you women literally make something out of nothing and love to scream at the top of your lungs how much you blame your parents for choices you made. She didn’t say she was telling her daughter she was overweight nor did she say anything negative. If you developed an eating disorder cause your parents were shitty doesnt mean another parent cant teach healthy eating and living to their child in the right way. So let your kid get fst eating junk because you chose to starve yourself when you were young. That makes sooooo much sense lol

Look up kids eat in color! Great resources for all ages.

Low calorie everything. If she likes to snack, reduced sugar fruit snacks, low fat pretzels, rice cakes, popcorn. Also, for meals try to make things with high protein because not only does it give energy but it makes you full longer. For her vegetables, make a smoothie with spinach, strawberries banana and a scoop of protein powder and low-fat milk. With the fruit she won’t be able to taste the spinach. Replace her usual snacks with low-fat and low sugar options.

I’m going through the same thing with my 8 year old girl and she weighs about the same. I’ve found that a lot of times she’s not actually hungry but just bored…and if she asks for a snack right after dinner I tell her no. We are seeing some progress.

Ur not going to give ur child an eating disorder by making them eat healthier and exercise more while u still can. Once they are teenagers they figure they know it all anyhow. So encourage the good while it’s still influencing on her. Lots of walking and running around will help. Then she won’t even know ur concern anyhow by simply making them be more active children.
My son won’t eat greens hardly either. He’s a chunkier 4 year old. I’m not giving him an eating disorder by saying no to junk food and making him eat his green beans or go to bed hungry.
Ur the parent. Show them what’s ok. Screw the rest the people. Half of them probably don’t even have kids

She’s a girl. She’s probably about to grow a few inches. They always chunk before they stretch. You’re going to give her a complex.

My daughter is 4 foot 6 90 lbs at age 8. Her legs are slender and she has a thicker/wider upper body. She also as a 6 pack when she tightens her abs.

I was 4 foot 8 95 lbs at age 9. I was rock solid with a 6 pack and built like a grown man.

Sounds like she’s going through that odd period where they start gaining weight just before puberty and the body starts to redistribute fat cells. If she’s active and not over eating leave her alone. If she’s not eating veggies, give her fiber gummies to help her digestive tract

The hate on this post is insane! Like dang y’all really gonna bash her for being concerned and twist it to make it looks like she has a problem. I have a kid who is very picky and kinda chubby and sometimes it’s a real challenge and not all kids are the same. Did y’all’s parents not teach you that if you don’t have anything nice to say then don’t say it at all.

My kiddo doesn’t like vegetables either so I do the best I can with substitutes that feel a little better- vitamins, instead of cookies we get nutrigrain bars, we always have strawberries grapes or bananas on hand…juice? Look on the label for real juice compared to artificial…NO KOOLAID OR SODAS -if she gets them it’s very minimal from family :grin: - I also look at sodium with crackers and chips and other salts…the biggest help for me is I was an over weight child and it made me want to be a healthier adult so mine sees me then follows suit…good luck momma

It’s completely okay to be worried about their weight :heart: As long as you go about it the right way.
Just eat healthier with her and go on walks or for hikes, or maybe get her into something she likes doing (dance, karate, sports, ect.).

And don’t ever call her any bad names or shame her for wanting seconds. That will cause an eating disorder :broken_heart:

Do not tell her anything about her weight. Do not put her on a diet just have your family do more activities but don’t let her know it is because of her weight. Go on walks, roller skating, zoo trips, play catch, ride bikes with her. Do not teach her to hate her body because of your insecurities.

So now we should body shame our 8 year olds?? Sorry but there is so much wrong in this post! I have a 19 year old that struggles so deeply with her body because bio Dad did and said things like this to her. Wanna help your daughter, love her just as she is!

For the people saying to leave her alone and let her be a kid, stfu. Weight issues are a big problem and can be devastating. Kids are mean and bully other kids and as an adult, don’t act like you have never had a negative thought towards a heavy set person. The mom is taking interest in the well being of her daughter and trying to get her on a healthier path. This is part of parenting, being proactive and making better choices for your family. My advice would be to try doing more outdoor activities. Go biking, forest preserve hikes. Get a dog and do daily walks. Sign her up for dace classes or some kind of active class like swimming. Make sure to by clean food, they’re 8, they won’t be able to buy their own food. Eventually, they’ll find stuff they like to eat. Find healthier recipes to make together and make sure you’re setting a good example for her too.

Advice; Should never put a child on a diet, just be a more active family and don’t pig out on sweets.

Opinion; the fact you worry about your child’s weight and seek advice on social media, rather than a pediatrician, is scary.

Take either.

Put her in a sport or something physical. Portion control. Less sweet drinks, drink more water.

My child is seven and the exact same weight and the doctor said she’s healthy but she’s also very tall. Kids grow up and down just make sure they’re making healthy choices.

Try having her help pick out a new food every week at the grocery store. Have her help cook dinner. Kids always want to try what they made.

Not just moving more but she’s going to hit a growth spurt soon withing the next two years or so… she will end up averaging out… you can cook more healthier meals or buy more healthier snacks but let her eat… if you supply healthy options she will more likely eat them but I wouldn’t force anything on her or make her go on a diet :woman_shrugging: my dad use to mention my weight all the time and it ended up taking a toll on my self esteem… I didn’t need that I needed a parent to help me choose healthier options at that age but also not shame me for having a cupcake if I wanted

Use different ingredients for her favorite things

You have to go by the bmi. Regardless of age, the height and build of a person should match the weight (according the to curve chart at the doctor) that why they do a sliding scale now. Instead of “average size” my son was 80 something pounds at 8 but his bmi was at a 26 because he was a lot shorter on the curve chart than where the 80 pounds height should have been. But puberty hit at 10 and it all changed. He’s still only 83 pounds but 5’1 and bmi is at 19 and he matches perfectly on the chart. I would say try introducing some healthier snacks maybe other other than that, give her time, kids generally gain weight before height, she might be headed for a big growth spurt.

Peatoes are a great snack substitute. They’re the cheetos but made outta peas. My picky teenager swears by them

If you feel this way go speak to her doctor and do not bring into the house the high calorie foods. try veggie dehydrated foods No soda.

I take my kids to the store with me (one at a time as I have 4)
They get to shop through and help choose foods they like, and I’ll ask if they think there’s a healthier alternative on some things. If they’re looking at chips or something and I know it’s the crunch they’re looking for, I might suggest that pretzels could be a healthier choice or rice cakes. They can each pick out one junk food snack item for all of them to share for the week and once it’s gone, it’s gone.
I just started making sure my home had minimal sugar as it causes my one child with autism and adhd major struggles and their teeth started getting cavities so I just started doing snack boxes for them for after school…cut up cheese, fruits, veggies, crackers, sugar free jello, pickles, popcorn, the low sugar yogurt/cottage cheese.

We eat better in our home because we feel better, sleep better, and have happier days. Please just be cautious of how you go about explaining the changes and do not make it about weight or looks. Be gentle when switching over and try to be consistent. We still have ice cream from time to time as a special treat and we grab fast food if we’re out and about so we do not deprive ourselves but it’s very limited.
My kids are 7,6,4, and 1…they are slowly adapting to changes implemented but choosing healthy whole foods is not an eating disorder or a diet fad, it’s a lifestyle change and should be the entire family, not just the child/ren. Kids will eventually do what mom and dad do… most of the time. Best wishes on your journey💞

Swimming… Go swimming and snack healthy… No diet and no calling her fat either! It’s damaging in later years… Show her you are eating healthy and that’s all there is… She will follow sooner or later :+1:t2:

As a girl that struggled with her weight for a long time it makes it 100% harder to hear your mom talk about your weight. Don’t bring it up to her especially if it’s gonna be ugly. Start incorporating one new thing for her to try with things she likes but don’t force it. Follow kids eat in color and get her walking! Don’t make it about weight make it about being healthy.

Only buy healthy snacks for the home. No soda, low-fat milk, and limit juice. Encourage water and exercise.

I would set an example, as I’ve learned I am the one bringing in the food that is ate. I don’t recommend any dieting but maybe healthier choices but kids are picky eaters. My children are not an ideal weigh either and I do not take away food but I have tried a healthier approach and even a healthier approach in my diet as well. Sometimes though it really depends on genetics we do not drink soda at all unless we are out and there’s been no weight change. It will fall off at some point. Sometimes being more active is the best approach. I also would not say anything to the child about it as that may cause an eating disorder or being self conscious when her trust has pointed it out.

Don’t buy chips, cookies, cakes, donuts, etc. Buy grapes, freeze them in summer, any fruits… I don’t eat veggies but I eat lots of fruits. Cut out pop, drink real juice not fruit flavored. Anything homemade is better than processed, you can control the sugar. My daughter only ate pumpkin pie…as close to veggies that she would get… Dr said that was fine just cut sugar in half and don’t use the crust. I had custard cups that I would bake it in and she thought she was getting fancy side dishes.

Sounds normal to me. Don’t put children on diets. Just cook healthy foods and be active with them.

Around this age kids do get chubby, I wouldn’t worry about putting her on a diet. That could lead to MAJOR emotional and mental trauma and cause her to struggle when she gets older. And also bone density issues!!

Get her outside and active and make up fun ways to try new foods.

You can also sneak veggies in foods!!

Don’t restrict her diet just change it slowly.

Did a dr bring this up? Because they SHOULD have said exactly what I said.

Enroll her in sports, keep her busy, limit soda and chips! It all starts with being able to make small changes and encourage her! You can do this!!

Kids do this off and on as they grow. I always noticed a weight gain just before they shot up in height.

Low fat milk rather than whole. Eating whole fruit instead of drinking fruit juice cuts back on sugar intake tremendously. Whole grains and protein rich foods. Exercise.

Unless her primary Dr is concerned i wouldn’t worry so much…Be more active and have her eat less sugars maybe…Shes still young enough her metabolism can worked with…

Try to have healthy snacks around and let her have some activities to do. Riding a bike, playing outside, walking with you, etc… I would never mention anything to her tho about weight

Kids eat what you eat (generally unless there’s a medical disorder) if all you keep is junk food in the house that’s all they are going to eat … if you keep healthy food in the house when they are hungry they will eat it … I wouldn’t just go straight health food crazy tho just make small changes buy less and less junk food if she like peanut butter have her eat peanut butter on celery or apples make fruits and veggies fun or decorative… have her help with cooking … they mimic what they see and hear so if they see you doing it and hear you saying it they will think that of themselves so don’t bring up her weight or poke fun or anything negative towards her and her body or yours even … slow changes healthy changes maybe pickup an evening walk to the park when you can

This is the perfect opportunity for bonding. Sign up for a gym unless you are already and encourage them to go with you. If not make some time to go for daily walks.

Turn to high protein snacks, eggs, nuts cheese… try meal prep 200-400 calories every 2-3 hours. Most people eat 3 meals all large and heavy… light small snack like meals works better for the body.

Make a change for your entire family.

Set times daily where you’re all actively playing together. A walk, a round of soccer, basket ball, a hike.

Create a “cooking show” together where you guys cook together new recipes to try

First of all don’t say anything to her about her weight. Try to get her involved with sports or activities. Lead by example. I think the best advice I got is to not use food as a reward.

They get chunky, then they grow upwards. Don’t focus on her damn weight. DO NOT TELL HER you think she’s gaining weight. It WILL make her self conscious as soon as you mention it. And it will mess with her for the rest of her life. Just provide healthy snacks, and be sure she’s up and moving around a lot.

If y’all think this is ok I pray you don’t have kids. Leave her be a kid and stop already trying to make her body a certain way. I guarantee you ain’t perfect yourself but you hid behind and anonymous post

Just get out n about as much as possible, swimming, walks, bike/scooter rides etc make it fun she’ll know no different n it’ll do u both good, lifts your mood being active even just being outside. The More active she is the less you need to worry about diet, say nothing tho cos that’ll stick in her mind n once there it’s tough to get over…enough pressure from the media already. If u can Cooking new things together might help with getting her to eat veg / new foods.

If I was a child (or even as an adult) I would be mortified that my mom put a post out there for strangers to comment on bc she thought I was “fat”.

1 Like

Nothing but healthy snacks in the house. Lead by example. Move. Bike ride, play tennis or badminton, hike even walk at a park. Don’t talk about weight and diet, just do it. Throw away any junk food in the house. I prefer raw vegetables. Maybe serve those.

I make a lot of the kids snacks at home, with their cup cakes I add in the mixture avacardo and zucchini, the kids don’t even taste it

I’m having a similar issue with my almost 9 year old. He’s a big guy. We are trying to be more active. His Peds doctor told me to keep him moving and he’ll hopefully out grow it.

Leave her,she has plenty more years to grow. Her body will change as she grows. No need to restrict her eating.

Please do not start commenting on her weight or demean her in any way about her appearance you will do irreparable damage to her mentally !
Take it from somone who was shamed and called fat by parents it only causes us to trigger eat and loathe myself please she’s only 8
Dont do this!

She hasn’t mentioned anything about telling her daughter that and even says she doesn’t want her to FEEL self conscious so obviously she is aware of her feelings.

Comments about moving is awesome! Make it an event…dont bring things into the house you dont want her to eat…make them special…ice cream cone after an outing, cookies for birthday celebrations…etc…you got this, Mama

did the drs say that’s overweight? bc that’s a normal weight for an 8 year old, i’d be concerned about doctor if they did say that. my 6 year old weighs 67 lbs and she isn’t overweight

Talk to her pediatrician. If they’re not worried (they likely won’t be), then you shouldn’t be. Just keep her fed and active. DO NOT mention it to her.

I would ask her pediatrician if she is overweight, and for their recommendation. My recommendation would be to keep her busy and active though.

Ok so first off, baby sounds average. But if it’s something that you’re concerned about, I would increase activity level, so like y’all go outside and do an outdoor scavenger hunt around the block, I do this with my nephews all the time, they ride their bikes while I push the baby in the stroller, I make a list for all the different things in our neighbor hood (blue car, the # 8, purple flower, the word “Ollie”) just fun stuff, and we get excersize that way, and it’s fun, it keeps their minds engaged, etc. and then, you can hide the veggies in different sauces, throw them in a blender and make them smoothe, and then stir them in. Also, if you’re making something with sugar, only use half the Amount in stuff that you normally use. Start using rice noodles, they have less starch and carbs. Use eziekial bread, it’s less calories, my Nanna always used to encourage us to eat “FRESH, FROZEN, or DRIED” and I’ve lived by that my whole life. Good luck momma🖤

Let her eat what she wants and put her in a sport (her choice) She’ll be fine.

Let the child play outside instead of video games and phone all day…the more they sweat the more calories they burn …and no offense alot of kids outgrow their baby fat