My daughter couldn't handle formula from birth and we have her on cowns milk per doctors orders: Advice?

My daughter was born prematurely at 34 weeks. I, unfortunately, I was not able to breastfeed her (couldn’t produce milk even after seeing four different lactation consultants), so she has been on formula since birth. She instantly developed stomach problems and was not able to digest hardly any brand of formula, we found one that worked for her, and we have been mixing it with cows milk (doctors orders, also did this with my first daughter). We did this for the first three months, and then she began taking just formula. Currently, she is on schedule, eating, , and drinking correcting for her age, not behind in any way. She eats 2-4 servings of baby food daily, and she also has one cup of cows milk daily. About three weeks ago, she started turning away from formula bottles and started preferring the cow’s milk. I mentioned this to her doctor, and the doctor suggested to keep trying the formula and if she absolutely would not take it, let her have cows milk and supplement with vitamins. I guess my question is, has anyone went through anything similar? Or did anyone stop formula at such a young age? Should I be worried? My daughter was born prematurely at 34 weeks. I, unfortunately, I was not able to breastfeed her (couldn’t produce milk even after seeing four different lactation consultants), so she has been on formula since birth. She instantly developed stomach problems and was not able to digest hardly any brand of formula, we found one that worked for her, and we have been mixing it with cows milk (doctors orders, also did this with my first daughter). We did this for the first three months, and then she began taking just formula. Currently, she is on schedule, eating, and drinking correcting for her age, not behind in any way. She eats 2-4 servings of baby food daily, and she also has one cup of cows milk daily. About three weeks ago, she started turning away from formula bottles and started preferring the cow’s milk. I mentioned this to her doctor, and the doctor suggested to keep trying the formula and if she absolutely would not take it, let her have cows milk and supplement with vitamins. I guess my question is, has anyone went through anything similar? Or did anyone stop formula at such a young age? Should I be worried?

3 Likes

When I was a baby all kids drank regular milk. Stop worrying and just supplement w vitamins as your doctor said. Your baby will be fine. :heart:

I did with my daughter I could make enough milk for her and the formal was causing stomach issue so the doctor put her on whole milk and she was just fine.

My son had problems and was put on soy milk. Has no problems after that

1 Like

Have you tried Evaporated milk?

1 Like