My daughter has accidents in class: Advice?

My 6 year old is potty trained and has been for years but when she goes to school she always has an acccident and idk why…or what the reasoning could be…she has a bathroom in her class…so what could the issue be?

32 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My daughter has accidents in class: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

Is she supposed to be asking or just go when she has to ??

1 Like

She may be scared of the bathroom when going alone in the unfamiliar places! I had this issue with my nephew. His school was old and very creepy

3 Likes

My daughter is going through the same tell school she needs to go when ever she need a toilet … in my case my daughter 7 her school has set times they can go which isn’t right and that’s why was causing problems

4 Likes

UTI or shes nervous to use the restroom there. Talk to her doctor.

2 Likes

Ask the father to talk to her

Have you tried the potty watch? Set it to every hour and half or two hours. When it beeps she knows to go to the bathroom. My kiddo still does that. She gets so excited playing she thinks she can hold it but can’t.

1 Like

How old is she? Maybe, even if even there is a bathroom in the room she is to shy and afraid to ask the teacher. I worked at a school and cleaned preschool rooms and they even still had pull-ups in the trash! It’s ok momma.thinga will get better and pan out… It’s harder for our babies then we realize sometimes going into new situations like this.

Maybe she is just so busy interacting and playing she’s afraid if she uses the bathroom she’ll miss out on something.

3 Likes

She can be scared of the bathroom, scare to ask or maybe the teacher has specific times to go to the bathroom.

Until you find out what is happening send her a change of clothes and wipes so she can change and clean her self

4 Likes

The forum is being funky when I try to submit my answer. Talk to the teacher and ask for more frequent breaks. She could just have a smaller bladder.

I hate to be grim about it…but is there any chance that she may have been ‘bothered’ by a male figure in her life??? And before u get defensive, I thought the same thing. Until my daughter started wetting herself again and my Mom.whose a psychotherapist told me that’s a sign of sexual abuse. Long story short, my 18 yr old nephew was ‘messing’ with her. Ruined my whole family, but. I figured it out and removed her from being around them altogether. Its not an accusation, but something to think about.

10 Likes

What has your daughter said about it? It could be new school year, new anxiety? Distractions, excitement, changes of routine

1 Like

Could be anxiety! I know its taboo to think they’d have it so young but if she is nervous because shes uncomfortable it could definitely be a problem

1 Like

When i was a child in kindergarten i used to have accidents because i missed my mom n wanted to go back home going to school is hard on most kids to get used to so accidents tend to happen especially if they get anxious or just plain too distracted with playing with new people :innocent:

7 Likes

Or she could be too excited and gets side tracked… ive known a few kids do this

1 Like

Some people don’t like using public bathrooms or she might be scared. I know it’s frustrating, but try not to get upset or you’ll never find out what the issue is. Good Luck!

Could be a number of things… uncomfortable in public restrooms/anxiety, medical issue like UTI, teacher won’t excuse her, fear of the bathroom as it’s different them home, a child being mean or opposite she’s so excited she ignored it , there’s many possibilities. Maybe try for scheduled times with teacher, discussions and practicing using public bathrooms, convo with pediatrician, and always pack a change of clothes and don’t scold her for it but simply listen to her or help her through it. Explain to her that holding it can cause problems like belly aches and accidents can lead to rashes ect which is h it’s important she uses the potty.

3 Likes

I’m going with afraid to ask in class.
My son was that way. Would hold it all day and be in agony. Had an accident on the bus home one day, his twin sister walked closely behind him while getting off the bus so the other kids wouldn’t see. :heart:

My 6 year old daughter does the same usually eh3m she’s anxious or to distracted so she holds it in till she can’t no more

2 Likes

My 5.5 year old boy does as well but he started k this year and has been having an accident every few days or so. I talked to his teacher. Hes not the only one. Its fairly normal.

1 Like

Could be nervous to use the bathroom, school just started and it’s a bunch of strange people. Or she gets distracted playing and forgets, which a potty watch would help with. Ask her or it’ll never get better

3 Likes

Holds it in so they won’t miss anything. I’d talk to teacher… to encourage bathroom breaks. Make sure they go often enough

1 Like

She may just be nor wanting to stop playing, or nervous to ask.

1 Like

She may be too shy to ask her teacher

She’s probably shy and maybe scared to ask

I would call the teacher and try to come up w a solution, if it doesn’t stop maybe another teacher

Big changes. Time her and insist she goes every hour even when she says she doesn’t need to. Ask how her days are going, might be some more going on.

Talk to the teachers, but first ask her what’s the problem. I know my son had that happen twice but that was because the teacher told them that they would get points taken away if ask to go to the restroom at any given time especially after returning from recess/lunch.

1 Like

Anxiety over toilet if in general, the toilet could be very loud, fomo, etc.

Maybe she’s having a difficult time adjusting to being in school. Does she get to go home everytime? Some kids do use it as a way to be picked up early.

1 Like

Is she getting distracted and “forgetting”?

She’s probably so busy she doesn’t want to miss any of the excitement. Talk to her teacher and ask if she notices a pattern.

My son was straight up lazy to go to the restroom, or he would pee because he didn’t want to stop playing. This was last year. He is 6 years old.

My daughter used to do that and I used to call it being “too busy being busy to go to the bathroom“  and she’s very shy And a lot of times it was a combination of both

She could be bullied by other students or intimidated to walk past certain people.

1 Like

Is she allowed to go when needed or does she need to ask and essentially announce to everyone she has to pee?

5 Likes

I remember when I was 8 some girl in my class told me that the school bathrooms were haunted, so me being a very gullible 8year old. Would do absolutely everything to never need to go to the bathroom alone. Not saying this could be the case for your 6 year old but i don’t think it would do any harm in making sure she’s comfortable with using the schools restrooms

3 Likes

Lose track till its too late…

3 Likes

Is she being bullied that could be a reason

3 Likes

Probably wants to play and forgets she need to go to the bathroom

The aromatic flusher scares my grand daughter she had an accident at school and she told me she scared of them

Could be too shy to ask, too busy having fun, or someone has told her no once before and now too scared to ask. If she’s too shy, maybe make a toilet pass for her out of coloured paper and laminate it. Let the teacher know what it’s for, so when she needs to go toilet during class, she only has to put her hand up, holding it. I did this for my daughter, but she only used it once, as she was too shy at first, but realised she didn’t really need to use it.

2 Likes

maybe she’s scared to ask to go to the bathroom?

2 Likes

My son had that same problem it was because he was scared to go use the bathroom since inside was dim! So I talked to the teacher and he had another student go with him to use the restroom when needed!

Ask your daughter if they are allowed to use the school toilets??

1 Like

My son had the lights turned off on him wen he was using the nursery toilet he is scared of any toilet if the door is closed he will hold it at school until he gets home as wet himself on the way home a few times cuz he cudnt hold it any longer he’s 7 and been toilet trained for years x

Ask your daughter :woozy_face: there has to be communication for you to understand the problem stop asking random moms on FB because the only one that knows why is her

5 Likes

She’s possibly afraid to get up and go? :thinking:

Your daughter would know

4 Likes

Could be a lot of reasons but it most likely comes down to her holding it in for to long whether it be because she’s embarrassed to ask, doesn’t want to go because she’s to “busy”, the teacher doesn’t allow her to go in time, etc. I’d talk to her and talk to her teacher and try to come up with a solution. When I was 9 my teacher wouldn’t let me go as often as I needed, I never had accidents but I did have frequent UTIs to the point where my mom finally needed to sit down with my teacher with a doctor’s note saying she needed to let me go WHENEVER I needed. But definitely talk to your daughter about what’s going on, she’s who will know best!

8 Likes

Pure laziness lol. I was a very lazy child

1 Like

My 5 yo has occasional accidents too bcos she can’t use the toilets in school if they are even little bit dirty.

I would talk to teacher and ask her to have her go every two hours at least probably doesn’t want to ask

1 Like

Some teachers have a potty scheduled “time”, that doesn’t necessarily correspond with your daughter’s needs to use the restroom.

We had the same problem with our daughter when she was in first grade.

It’s likely the teacher’s fault and should be reported as such.

It’s what we did, which caused the teacher to adhere to our daughter’s need to use the bathroom.

Not all children can “hold” their bladder and teachers shouldn’t expect them to!!

4 Likes

My 1st daughter used to do this in kindergarten. Definitely potty trained. She would get really nervous and afraid to ask and get up to go. I’d always send her a change of clothes just in case. She eventually stopped. It didn’t proceed into the next year and I know by the end of the year she had stopped as well.

Probably because she isn’t allowed to go… we had this problem before.

5 Likes

She may be afraid to go to the bathroom in public. She could have issues with getting her pants on & off without help. And at that age, teachers won’t help them.

Could be a number of things.

Maybe she’s too focused on what she’s doing and thinks she could hold it. See if the teacher will remind her once in awhile

I had a teacher that only allowed bathroom breaks at specific times.

I would ask your daughter if they are allowed to use the bathroom or if she’s asks to go and gets told no. When my son was little he never wet himself at school but he would come home and tell me that he asks to go to the bathroom and the teacher would always say no. He is in High school now and he still has teachers that tell him no. I tell him now just like I always told him if he asks to go to the bathroom and they won’t let him get up walk out and go anyway. I don’t mean that in a way to disrespect the teacher but they need to understand if they ask to go and they don’t let him it can physically cause problems for the child. My son has a friend that had to have surgery because the teacher would never let him go to the bathroom and I’m sorry but these teachers aren’t going to pay that hospital bill if something happens to my son. My son currently has a teacher that says they can only go twice a week and I looked at my son and said if he tells you this you turn around and ask him if he only goes twice a week and walk out and go. If they try to punish him for it this momma will be at that school.

8 Likes

Alot of the littles are too busy to use the washroom! They feel like they will miss something. I would see if her teacher could just set a timer or when they do bathroom breaks, makes sure she goes

1 Like

Too busy playing she doesn’t want to stop and go quickly or teacher isn’t letting her go fast enough. Since she doesn’t do this anywhere but school that’s all I could think of besides health reasons.

1 Like

She might be nervous or it the teacher

The teacher should know this and make her go often….if I were the teacher I would make her go every hour or as needed…… Speak to her about it and have a plan the bathroom breaks if that doesn’t work talk to the principal…….I would say she has a nervous issue and needs to go frequently….give her wipes and a change of clothes for any future accidents :broken_heart::broken_heart::pray:t3::pray:t3:

1 Like

Could be distracted. Happened to my daughter her first year last year, not often, but she would be playing and having fun and not wanting to go, so she would hold it.

2 Likes

When i was that age i had accidents because i was too afraid to ask to go. Have to talked to her to see if there’s a reason for it?

My sister when she was younger had this happen. Turns out one of the older girls was scaring her with the myth of Bloody Mary so she refused to use the bathroom at school. Maybe someone is bullying her?

2 Likes

Is someone bothering her. Maybe she’s scared, maybe it’s of the teacher.

I just got paid $6600 working off my laptop this month. And if you think that’s cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over $ 14200 her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less.
This is what I do… https://IncomeSource505.pages.dev

Could be teacher not allowing her to go. Or she is too distracted by playing or fear of missing out on something so she stays, and has an accident vs going to use the potty in the room.

3 Likes

Maybe the teacher won’t let her go?

SA can be a sign of pants wetting…

Most the time they are too “busy” to realize they have to potty or they don’t want to use the potty at the school. Try asking her why she doesn’t use the potty? A little bit of anxiety in a tiny body can go a long way when it comes to something like using the bathroom.

1 Like

Is she shy or scared to ask to go? This sometimes can be an issue at school.

2 Likes

My daughter use to be full of poop that she didn’t even know she was peeing her self tell it was too late

Could be something medical, uti, bladder infection, kidneys. Take her to her doctor. Maybe he can offer a solution and always give a standing order that when she needs to use the restroom she can.

My daughter is in kindergarten, they get 4 “planned” bathroom breaks a day but can ask to use the bathroom if they need too. Maybe ask her teacher to make an announcement every once in awhile anybody need to go to the bathroom? And have the teacher tell your daughter to try every hour or so. Maybe she’s afraid to ask?

2 Likes

Is she afraid to ask to go.

2 Likes

My daughter had this same situation. We spoke to the dr and she wanted to be at arms reach to every bathroom in site. It’s a security issue in the public.
Just remind her to use the bathroom once she gets to the classroom. She might be scared to tell her teacher if she needs to use it too. Good luck

1 Like

If it only happens at school it could be a security problem. Ask her if she is having problems with kids or even maybe fears of school.

This was my son, they had self flushing toilets and they were loud and he hates loud noises it scared him so he would hold it

UTI, too busy playing, scared to ask to go to the bathroom, Scared to go by her self why don’t you ask the teacher
My daughter 7 still has accidents every once in a while everybody does

My daughter used to have accidents in school and I had to bring her clothes one day I told her she would have to sit in her clothes all day if she did it again and low and behold she never had another accident I figured she enjoyed seeing me when I would bring her the clothes

2 Likes

She could be embarrassed to go in school !

1 Like

She’s embarrassed or afraid to ask. I’d talk to the teacher and let her know you are going to give her a little note to keep in her pocket so when she has to go she can just hand it to her teacher and not need to have to ask out loud so the whole room knows. This too shall pass. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Something wrong in that class

1 Like

Embarrassment? If the bathroom is in the classroom it may bother her that all the other students know she’s going.

My son started wetting himself in kindergarten. With lots of supportive chats with him he told me the teacher gave stickers to the kids that didn’t ask to go to the toilet outside of allocated toilet break times. He didn’t want to miss out on a sticker. You bet I was at the school like lightening making that rule go away. It’s kindergarten. Actually at no stage in life should going to the toilet when you want which is a basic human right be discouraged.

2 Likes

So, my third grader started this one. Teacher rule : no potty breaks after lunch…(until I give the class the instructions for the activity). Well my son will follow directions to a T (if you told him to stand/stay in one spot he would still be there as the building crumbled around him). Welllllll he missed the part about “after instructions” … I went to his teacher! After apologizing to my son, he re-explained “after instructions” and no more issues with wetting his pants.

1 Like

Perhaps she doesn’t want to miss out on what’s going on in class and is ignoring the body signals or she is distracted with work/playing or hyper focused on the activity and not recognizing the body signals.

Maybe she’s being Bullied too, kids can be Nasty.:thinking::thinking: