My daughter has been acting different since my boyfriend proposed: Thoughts?

Hey, mama, 's I need some advice. My daughter had always loved my boyfriend, they’ve always been super close shes always wanting to hang out with him and call him on the phone and says she loves him. Well, he proposed to me a few weeks ago with my daughter there, and since then, she has acted completely differently towards him. She doesn’t wanna talk to him and acts like she doesn’t like him at all except for when it’s just the two of them in a different room, then she is just fine and plays with him until it’s the three of us then she acts as she hates him. I’m at a loss of what to do. I mostly think it’s just because she’s afraid things are changing so much. Has this happened to any of you?

12 Likes

Alarm bells for sure

11 Likes

He sould have talked to her avout this before asking for your hand almost getting her permision you guys are a unit and he left her out of a magor dicision in your life

3 Likes

Yeah I would like to know how old she is because maybe there was something going on that you didn’t know about and now she’s mad because he proposes to you. I hate to say that but this sounds really fishy

10 Likes

How old is ur daughter an why is you’re partner an you’re daughter in separate room playing proper weird tbh

5 Likes

She probably thinks he’s trying to take you away from her

3 Likes

Sounds like there’s something else going on

5 Likes

Sounds like he’s jealous and not of him, of you. Maybe she has a crush on him?

7 Likes

That raises some red flags to be honest. Put up a secret camera and record what’s going on. If you see nothing wrong, maybe she is just jealous. It’s best to not take risks when it comes to your kids

8 Likes

Hmm depending on her age if she is younger she might be jealous or have like a little crush on him but I’d be really careful I hate to say it but something is off about this

2 Likes

The way this was worded sounds completely wrong and makes me wonder how old your daughter is…and what was going on between the two depending in age

4 Likes

Jumping to conclusions guys. I admit it sounds like she may have had strong feelings for him but as for anything going on? There is no solid proof. Kids often get funny when a parent’s partner gets serious because all of a sudden they feel they might not be the centre of their own parent’s attention. They can get resentful and jealous. Not because of their feelings towards the incoming step parent but because they feel their safe place is threatened.

How old is your daughter? Xxx

2 Likes

How old is your daughter?

2 Likes

Maybe she’s jealous I would tell him to buy her a ring so she feel like she important to

3 Likes

Maybe have a talk with her sound like she knows something you don’t know look into this when he is not around

4 Likes

Idk why this is raising so much alarm for some people… It’s probably just bc it’s a big change & she knows things will be a little different soon. Maybe try to do alot of activities with all 3 of you & make sure she’s included & feels as such!

1 Like

Wow. All of you women go to the worst assumption. It could be she loves him and is just jealous of her momma getting her first crush. It doesnt mean he has abused her… she loves him because mom does and he is probably the best role model for this little girl. I remember having a crush on a grown man when I was 5 I was so upset he also proposed and I was furious! I would talk to either of them forever. This seems innocent mom. Talk to your daughter. DO NOT LET THESE WOMEN POISON YOUR ENGAGEMENT BECAUSE THEY ARE NEGETIVE.

14 Likes

How old is your daughter?

2 Likes

Definitely need to know how old she is. it sounds like shes jealous that you and him are getting married … it’s like your taking her crush away from her… so it sounds like it’s something that will pass with time, and communicating to her that he loves her too all the same and nothings changing

4 Likes

Hidden camera. Definitely figure this out before you say I DO.

3 Likes

Age would provide more context but left to the imagination raises some red flags.

4 Likes

She’s jealous. That girl had a crush on him & is big mad that he proposed to her momma.

Been there done that. Hell, my sister had a boyfriend when I was real little I had a crush on him & I was pissed when I found out they were a real thing lmao. I pretended to hate him so much :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

What you have explained there scares the shit out of me.

Too much missing info unfortunately. Her age? Is she the only child? How long he’s been around? Do she like other boys? Was she happy for you at all, for anything in life? Is her father still around?.. With all that mystery I would say if she’s over 6yrs old she’s jealous and it seem inappropriate. Talk to her & make sure she’s not flirting/playing.

9 Likes

How old is she? Is there a possibility she is jealous?

1 Like

the age is kinda needed to determine if it would be him abusing the child, or him and her having a relationship. That’s kinda why people are asking.
Depending on age it could just be her being upset and thinking she’s not gonna get the same attention from either of the mother or boyfriend after the wedding.

5 Likes

I heard about this happening a lot. Most of the time it’s about the changes that may happen and normally nothing fishy. Have you tired talking to ur daughter about it. Also how old is she… my opinion is based more on younger kids vs teens. If a teen then it could be jealousy

Age ? Then work it out

If she’s really young then she wouldn’t really realise what marriage is tbh but defo need to keep an eye on him the child can’t change so much from one room to the other does not make sense at all,

2 Likes

Kids get jealous she might just feel like your taking him away from her because your getting married kids act out in different ways best bet is to talk to her get to the root of her feeling x

1 Like

Maybe she’s afraid of the change that will come

It sounds to me like he is her first crush. Which is perfectly normal. She’s jealous. Just keep trying to talk with her. She’ll come around.

4 Likes

Sounds like she is upset about changes

Maybe she’s hurt she wasn’t included? Maybe he should take her on a Daddy Daughter date. Get her all dressed up & get her a cute bracelet or necklace. And him ask if she would like to be his daughter? If that makes sense?
Depending on her age this might be what she needs? Sounds like she doesn’t feel truly loved by him. I mean her Mom got the big question & maybe she feels rejected?
Little kids get jealous over their “Dads”. Maybe this is would fix her jealousy.

3 Likes

First how older is your daughter? Than think there might be something else going on between them

How old is she? That can make a difference

1 Like

How old is she? Tou need to sit her down and explain the different types of loves. That can be a fatal attraction cause all it takes to end that mans life is her saying he touches her!

Everyone assuming hes abused her he hasn’t. Hes never been alone with her unless I’m in the other room for a second and I always hear whats going on.

2 Likes

Possibly jealous. Could he ‘propose’ to her. Ask her with a necklace if she would like him to be her step dad make a big deal so she fills included

Maybe have him"propose" to be his step daughter?

How old? Sounds like she may have a crush on him

Maybe he can get her a ring and ask if she wants to be his stepdaughter.
Worth a try

Maybe something is scaring her about him.

1 Like

I would definitely say it’s just a bit of jealousy. When I got engaged to my ex husband his son was 5. He always said he wanted me to be his girlfriend and would get upset if I was giving more attention to his dad. After we got engaged he was a little upset just because he wanted me to marry him, but as we talked about it and explained that we would be a family he went back to normal again.

When I was 5/6 I had a obsessive crush on one of my mums friends. I treated him like a climbing frame etc and he treated me like a crazy niece - he never ever encouraged anything from me and him and my mum twigged I had a crush on him. I would never go to bed unless he was the one to tuck me in. Honestly I was obsessed. Truly he only ever treated me like an uncle would though. When I found out they got together I stopped talking to either of them. It could be that type of situation. She may also be scared that you’re adding someone else permanently to the family and she will be pushed out. But as others have said there may be something more sinister.
I would maybe suggest having a mummy daughter day and discuss stuff with her. Without knowing her age it’s hard to give more advise.

When my daughter got engaged my granddaughter thought she was going to have to live someplace else once they got married. Once she understood she was fine with things.