My daughter has been complaining about her head being itchy: Advice?

My daughter is 6 and has been complaining of her head itching the past week or so. I’ve checked, along with the school nurse, multiple times to make sure there was no lice (apparently there have been a couple cases in her school one being in her class). I haven’t changed shampoos, detergents or soaps. She will say it itches still literally right when she gets out of the shower. Anybody know what this could be or have similar experiences? It’s kind of embarrassing because everywhere we go she says it itches so bad and I have no clue why.

1 Like

Is she rinsing the shampoo out completely? Leaving left over soap in the hair can cause itching.

Dry air can cause skin to itch. Is she well hydrated?

Tea tree oil works if it’s just itchy, but will also keep them from getting lice.

2 Likes

Winter my head is dryer. T tree shampoo would be good for dry scalp amd a preventative for lice. Some of those bugs are super tiny and even one or 2 and a couple knits can cause a lot of itching. Also, if her head is sweaty with a stocking hat on or something could cause it to be itchy. Also, make sure shampoo is being rinsed out good.

1 Like

May be psoriasis. Check for flaky skin or redness and rash.

2 Likes

Um… her scalp is probably dry. It is winter.

My daughter who is 6 done that for about a week and I got her some selsum blue and use it and now she seems ok and doesn’t complain. It was bad and so embarrassing bc she’d keep scratching 24/7 but turns out she just had bad dry scalp.

1 Like

Tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner…

Wet her hair. Smother in conditioner on her scalp real good and let sit awhile. This cold with the dry heat makes my scalp itch. This has always helped me. Ur gonna have to wash good so not oily but will help her.

1 Like

My head itches any time I use shampoo with coconut. Maybe it’s something in the shampoo.

I get like this - I have fine hair and I find my scalp has build up even if my hair feels fine.
I used white vinegar and rinse it out with conditioner 2x a month.

My daughter was the same way for a while, turns out she was not completely rinsing all the shampoo out of her hair. Once she started to rinse it all out, the itching stopped. I had her sing happy Birthday 3 times(excessive) and it worked.

2 Likes

My whole family had this happen. We had been using the same shampoo for years. It turned out to be a reaction to the shampoo. Only reason I figured it out is that I was over at my partner’s house and used his shampoo and it was the first time in months that my head didn’t itch right after getting out of the shower.

1 Like

I have to use head and shoulders shampoo regularly and scrub the scalp. If I stop using it my scalp gets super itchy and in the past I’ve even gotten a sore on my scalp. I don’t believe it’s very great for the hair itself, but it’s the only thing that keeps mine minimal.

Dandruff, or developed an allergy. I have a vitamin e skin allergy.