My daughter has stopped talking as much the older she got: Advice?

Hi, I was wondering if you could please post for me? My daughter is one year old, and around nine months, she started talking very clear words saying things like ‘get it’ and cat car and mum. But strangely she has stopped talking, and it seems she can’t say these things anymore like if I try to tell her to say get it, it’s like she’s trying but can’t quite get the words. Sorry for the long post it’s just I was a little concerned by this… thank you xx.

5 Likes

If it continues have her checked for autism my grandson was fine till 14 months and slowly stopped hes 9 now and nonverbal

1 Like

My son did the same. He understands just fine but won’t hardly say any words anymore. He’s going to start speech therapy soon. Have her checked by the pediatrician or wait a bit until she’s 2 and see if she picks it back up.

My daughter was that way, she had a few words she said clearly at 9/10 months then sorta stopped talking for a couple months, she’s 17 months now and jabbers nonstop

You should bring this up with her pediatrician. It could nothing more than a little regression, but it could be the first signs of something more serious like autism. It’s something that you and her doctor need to keep an eye on. Early intervention is key.

2 Likes

Did this start after any vaccines? I know this is a hot button issue but I know someone who’s little boy stopped talking after a series of vaccines. He’s been diagnosed with autism. His mom is certain it was the vaccines because it was within a day it started

20 Likes

I heard it was normal for children to say words then stop saying them. She is only one year old so I wouldn’t worry to much. If your really worried just talk to your family doctor or pediatrician.

2 Likes

Has she gotten her 12 month shots yet? Might be something to research.

4 Likes

Maybe they have learned it’s not ok to speak…I hope not but it is a cause

She’s only one. Most kids don’t talk very well until closer to two years old. I’m not sure why she would stop saying words after learning them, but I would bring it up to the pediatrician.

1 Like

My stepson was speaking a good but at 1.5 then stopped talking all together . He didn’t actually start speaking until 3 after a year of speech therapy . It’s actually very common for a child to go through a regression .

Its not uncommon. Both of my kids went through/are going through that phase. My almost 10 year old did it for a few months around 1.5/2… and my 1.5 year old just recently quit saying a lot that he used to. I wouldn’t be concerned. Just keep encouraging her to talk.

1 Like

My son did the same thing. I jumped on his doctors his hearing was evaluated and they even got some in home care provided to work with him. But 2 months into that (at just under 2 years old) he walked out and i kid you not said "morning mama " he hasn’t stopped talking since. Lol he was lazy and preferred to sign simple things that I taught him from before talking age. That being said, I would still address it with doc and have it noted.

1 Like

Dont wait and see!! Do something now. Talk to the dr. And get her speech!

1 Like

I’m having exactly the same
Problem at the moment with my nearly 18 month old daughter. She was saying a lot
More at 10 months then all a sudden she stopped and for months now she won’t say a word

My daughter is 18 months she was saying simple 3 word phrases by 9-10 months like I did that , dada did it , I want baba or I want numnum or night night etc she rarely says them now I was told it was normal you could always contact a speech pathologist though if you’re worried

Autism rears it’s ugly head around 18 months and then the children stop doing and knowing the things they once did! Talk to your pediatrician and go from there! It could be as simple as getting her Speach therapy. They will guide you in the right direction and give you all information needed!

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry. I remember hearing that if they stop doing something that they previously were doing it might be because they are working on a new skill whether it be a motor skill or verbal skill. No doubt once she figures out the new skill she’s working on she’ll start talking again. Good luck. We should give them more credit they are clever little beings.

My daughter started using some basic words when she was about 10 months until she was around 15 months she just stopped, won’t even say ‘mama’ or ‘want milk’ etc. Got me worried but she started talking again before she turned 2yrs old & she won’t stop until now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy: if it’s a concern to you, check with the doc esp if it’s been a while that he’s not speaking words.

My son has been saying I did it since he was about 10 months along with a few other words. Then he kind of took a pause and stopped taking except for a few things. Hes now 25 months and has been talking a bunch more again. But it’s pretty much all in sentances.

1 Like

It’s extremely normal for kids to regress in one area as they progress in others. She probably starting moving around more developing gross motor skills which takes a lot of energy and learning which may lead to less speech

2 Likes

children are not good at multitasking. when they begin working on a new task… other task they have “mastered” will linger until the new task is learned.

Did you get her hearing checked ? My daughter was like this turned out she got fluid build up in her ear and we had to get her grommets ! I’d look into getting that checked

Talk to your pediatrician. She may have developmental delays.

May be a power struggle ir she just got tired of doing it

Yes, mine did the same thing unfortunately. He is 3 now and has a speech delay. Due to covid, we can’t get into therapy.

My PD told me it’s normal… :wink: she is probably focussing on something new to learn, after that she’ll start using the words again.

1 Like

See a doctor it could be nothing but I would also be concerned

My son is 19 months and this happens with him as well, pediatrician said it is completely normal

She could be autistic

It could go either way. You would have to talk to the pediatrician. Things are all weird now due to the virus.

My son didn’t talk for a bit, but after being evaluated… we discovered that he was capable… he just didn’t want too.

This happened to my son. He had other characteristics. He was diagnosed with autism at 3. He didn’t play with toys, he lined them up all the time. He would not make eye contact. He always stayed to himself. We did early intervention. He’s been in school since he was 3. He’s now in 3rd grade. It’s not always easy. And it could totally be something else. But watch her other characteristics. I was telling my friend about why I got him tested. Her older son was the exact same way and she went to get him tested and he too was diagnosed with autism.

If she has other siblings that couls be part of it too … i started talking then just stopped cause they got everything i wanted without talking. I started talking again when i went to school. Some kids also dont like being pushed to say the same words over and over and just stop

I wouldn’t be concerned, our twins spoke early then stopped then one started chattering away and the other didn’t. Then he caught up then they went back to not talking. Now they talk our ears off lol.
She’s only a year, I would wait until 2-3 to be concerned

1 Like

Also is she communicating without words? Pointing? Gesturing? Understanding? If yes then I wouldn’t be worried. As long as she is understanding and communicating

My daughter started to talk, but started walking at 11 months. Guess she was “too busy” to talk while she was walking, climbing, and carrying objects with her!!!

Please look into the vaccines you are giving her. NO this is not normal. More and more kids aren’t talking till 3 or 4. This is not normal. Just please look into it. Watch the movie “Vaxxed”. Please.

1 Like

They say kids have to learn things twice. So like someone else said, she could be learning and/or focusing on something else and will get back to what she knew later

My daughter has done this for her its where the talking has lost its novelty! She talks here and there but she isnt a big talker like other kids but her dad isnt a big talker either

My daughter was the same the school even arranged a speech therapist I think she was concentrating on more fun stuff like walking which she did at 10 months now at 6 she dont stop well she hasn’t stopped since she was 3

And I certainly wouldn’t worry 1 yr old is very young to be talking

1 Like

Talk to your pediatrician ASAP. Just to rule out health concerns that could cause regression.

If she’s vaccinated maybe she’s regressing into autism due to brain injury from it. Do your research

32 Likes

it wouldn’t hurt for her to be examined for autism. sometimes that word scares parents but kids on the spectrum have many talents and can do well in life.

3 Likes

Can be a sign of autism. But I’m autistic and I have a law degree, partner and son. Don’t let the ignorance of autism scare you, we can progress from non verbal to “functioning” adults

8 Likes

Has nothing to do with vaccine it happens call the dr.have hearing tested and lab work some kids just do that

My son started to say a few words very early, and then stopped. We weren’t sure what was going on. We got him evaluated for speech and have been working with a speech therapist for a couple months now. He has made huge improvements. We still don’t know why he started to regress, but his therapist has really helped us a lot.

Have a dr. Check her hearing

My daughter will be 2 in October, And the same thing happened with her, She (like my previous 5 children) was an early talker, Clear and concise, And then she just stopped, Wouldn’t say a single word, Her health was checked and all good there, She just wouldn’t talk any more, We ended up teaching her baby sign language which she loved and still loves, about 6-8 months after she stopped talking she started again, But like she never had previously, Its like she has started from scratch again, And words she could say back then she isn’t saying clearly now and even has a slight lisp, She still uses sign language as a preference, But has always understood clearly and is a total bright spark in every other area, Just not a talker i guess lol

It wont hurt to get your child checked out by a Pediatrician. It could be something, or it could be nothing.

This could be just typical shyness but it’s also a very real sign of autism in children so don’t wait

Did she get a vaccination?

They can’t diagnose autism until the child is at least 2 or 3. Vaccines have nothing to do with autism. It’s genetic.

Take your child to the pediatrician and have your child’s hearing checked and hopelfully you won’tq have to go to the ear, nose, and throat doctor. Another possibilty if your child has had alot of ear infections this year, your child could have fluid in the ear drum that it is blocking the hearing. My son had to get tubes in his ears at 13 months and unfortunately he lost some hearing but it was restoted once the tubes were inserted in his ears.

Agree with pediatrician comments. This happened to my cousin’s son at the same age and he has autism. It’s not something I would ignore.

Take her to a doctor!