My daughter is going through sleep regression: Advice?

My daughter is four mo and has been going through a sleep regression. She wakes up at 9, 11, 1, and then at 3 or 4 am every day, and she’s wide awake. It takes so much rocking, nursing, and walking around for her to fall back asleep IF she even does. Some days I just get up with her and let her play on her mat while I try to wake up. At the end of the day, I’m completely beat. Her naps only last up to 30 mins during the day, so by the time I try to doze off, shes up again. I’m getting very frustrated, and I’m exhausted. My husband works all day so he can’t really help. Any tips?

8 Likes

No advice just I’m here with ya! Tommy is 4 and a half months! I know it’s frowned upon but co sleeping has saved my sanity!!

2 Likes

Try putting her to bed a little later

Sounds about right. Most babies go through it. :woman_shrugging:t2:

See if a church in your area does a free drop in where you could get some sleep. Or a family member or close friend comes over and watches while you sleep.

Is she hungry when she is waking up? I ask because my son was like this before growth spurts. He would be hungry all the time for a few weeks before a growth spurt, but then barely eat and sleep all the time while growing. It is a pattern that continued for most of his childhood. Every child is different, if this is something new for her, maybe go to the doctor to rule out any other reasons her sleep may be disturbed.

2 Likes

Welcome up motherhood. This phase will pass!

1 Like

If you are nursing make sure you aren’t consuming caffeine

2 Likes

My baby just turned 3 months and she is like that. We had to stop swaddling because she started flipping on her stomach. Now almost every hour she’s flipping and waking me up. The swing has been a lifesaver. You should get one if you don’t have one

Mine didn’t sleep. No advise either. She didn’t start sleeping until she was about 3. Some kids just don’t. Hopefully it’ll all work out for you and your baby. At 4 mos though I can’t help but wonder if baby is teething and might be waking up bc of comfort level.
If you have access to a family member or a close friend ask if they could watch for a.cpl hrs so you can get some sleep at least. Good luck

There’s a few sleep regressions in the first year. It’s normal and will pass. You just have to get through them first. It will get better!

Someone mentioned co-sleeping. That might help. Other advice. Keep her room dark at night. The next one is difficult. I did it and it worked. It took two nights and worked. At 1 am, check on her to make sure she’s ok and let het self sooth. It’s difficult, but worked for me. By the third night babies will usually go with the program. Like I said, it’s not easy and you have to be consistent for about two nights, but it worked for me with both my kids. Good luck. Sleep is important.

Of she is not fussy or crying or wanting attention put her in your bed safely and go back to sleep.

Just keep your routine very consistent, this is very important during sleep regression periods. It will soon pass and as long as you have stayed solid in your routine, things will go back to normal. Good luck!!

My baby is going through this too and he will be 3 months next friday.

Unfortunately every baby goes through this I suggest not letting her play though at night as it confuses them. When I went through this I used to lay in the dark with my son whilst he was awake so he knew its not play time as hard as it is now it will get better :heart:

Co-sleeping was a lifesaver with my first LO. Other than that the only thing is to just do the best you can. It does get better, I promise.

The 4 month sleep regression is no joke. This is where I started bedsharing with mine to get some sleep at night. If you follow the safe 7 there’s no added risk.

I highly recommend babywearing during the day, so she will sleep longer in the carrier while you have your hands free. Also try implementing a bedtime routine.

Play with her in the evenings and keep her awake til about 9 she will be more tired and sleep a little longer!

Try using a nightlight at night and help the baby realized that when it is dark it is time to sleep and don’t let your baby play in the middle of the night because then they will expect to play and get away with it… i would do a changing, feed, burp, then lay him down (so he didnt get use to the arms) it worked for me…
Then during the day open the windows let in as much light in as possible so your baby understands that this is the time to play and the time to be awake… also try outside activities (going for a walk or mommy and me classes) it helped my son…

I wish you the best .
Motherhood is far from easy but so rewarding.

Use the lavender baby bath and lotion in the evening to help her relax and sleep. They also have melatonin oil in the baby section to rub her down with if the bath and lotion doesn’t work

1 Like

She is also probably going through seperation anxiety they have small beds so that she can lay in bed next to you too

Routine and sleep training

Consistency, it will end eventually just push through it and make sure to take those 30 min and relax even if the house is a mess sometimes you have to choose yourself and your sanity over a clean house.

You could try Tylenol if it’s teething. Some kind of soothing music or a white noise machine may help as well.

I co slept until mine was 5 months old. Then put her in her pack and play to sleep after. She’s slept through the night since she was 1 month

Welcome to motherhood. I had 3 babies in 3 years and they never slept. Worked a full time job and was lucky to get an hour of sleep a night. I’m still here at 65. So hang in there better days ahead.

Had one of these, my youngest. We called him the energizer baby. He’d sleep for 5-10 minutes then go for hours before another 5-10 min nap. He didn’t want to miss anything. So his crib was put into the room with one of his siblings and when they slept he did too eventually. But not every baby will do this. Whatever you try, good luck.

I have followed 1 rule to the max with all my children. After baby is asleep for the night neither Ibor my husband will make eye contact with thim in the night. Our NICU Dr. Told me this over 12 years ago. For whatever reason when baby makes eye contact it releases dopamine from the brain causing said baby to wake up more. So we change a diaper make a bottle and let them fall back asleep normally no longer than 10-15 min. All my babies have slept the night through from about 4-5 months. Don’t let baby play because then they fully wake up aswell.

my son woke up & ate every 3 hrs around the clock…including at night And he was feed strain food by at one month of age, cereal, even a bit in the bottle at night time, hoping he will sleep a bit longer at night. When he finally slept all night he was 9 months on…then it was for 12 hrs . Every baby is different. I would worry more if your baby was almost a yr & still not sleeping thru the night.

PEACE BE UNTO YOU ALL!!!
I’m Dr Tega the mighty spell caster Priestess that can solve your problem within 49hours. i have been a spell caster for more than 15 years now and my work speak greatly for me. you can contact me be below or contact me through my private page
(1) If you want your ex back.
(2) You want to be promoted in your office
(3) If you want a child.
(4) If You want tie your husband / male so he will concentrate on only you …
(5) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever
(6) if you want to stop your divorce.
(7) if you want to divorce your husband.
check out my page and contact me via WhatsApp +16316377351
immediately for all your problems and predicament to be solved within 49hours

I kept all of the lights off (or down) when my first was little. Any light triggers them to wake up fully. My best advice is to s the ya consistent. Keep trying to get her back to sleep until it’s time to get up for the day.

Im sorry but your will have to keep her up and active. 7-10 give her a nap. Then keep her up from 12-830. That wont happen any more. You have to keep her active

Lay down with her maybe she sleep longer

Feed her. She is due for a growth spurt, she needs more nutrition

Same thing happened when my son was 4 months. Except my husband works nights so I was up all night by myself. I just implemented a routine that works for us and he sleeps better now a month later

Does she nap during the day? If she does she might be used to noises now, either a white noise machine or soft music, babies need noise. Try that or less time napping.

Contented little baby book will help

Without question ask your doctor first. I am going to tell you what my child’s doctor told me when I was where you are now. He said to give my baby Benadryl at the same time of night at bedtime for up to 4 nights in a row. He said this will set her internal sleep pattern. I did it for two nights and it helped. No bashing, I’m just trying to help. CONSULT HER PEDIATRICIAN FIRST.

Speak to pediatrician if adding some infant oatmeal or rice meal to feedings. It will fill her up and last longer in her system, allowing for better sleep. Another idea would be to put more time between day naps ( she will exhaust herself by night time. Just ideas I had used

Put your shirt that you have worn next to her face so she can pick up your sent n sleep more, also try a pacifier and ask pediatrician if you can add bby cereal to her last meal it usually helps them stay asleep.

My son did this,he is 21 now, I have had quite some experience with children, have about 100 that call me mama, lol an elderly woman told me to wrap him in a blanket with his little face covered and walk him outside in the sunshine, it would reset his pattern, I did it three days in a row, it worked!!! He slept through the night , and his naps!!

Thank gawd my kids are adults n teens now :raised_hands: bless y’all hearts I love babies but I’m so glad those days are over I wish y’all the best I had 3 n thankfully they all slept through the night

Following for my daughter going through this!

My son is only 4 weeks old and sleeps quite a bit, but try some natural things? First chiropractic adjustments, my son was 3 days old when he had his first adjustment and he is a different baby after he’s had one…also give a nice warm bath followed by eating and then massage, rub legs, arms, feet, toes, hands, back, stretching legs, etc. Who isn’t more relaxed and comfortable after a good massage?!

Do you have a swaddler?

Sounds like the baby is still hungry

1 Like

Probably going through a growth spurt. My son is 7 months and every now and then he won’t eat as much or sleep as much. Several people, including doctors, say that babies go through growth spurts a lot and those things happen for like a week or 2. It will go back to normal soon!

Hey Mom’s this is an active Amber alert of a baby that her mother was killed and she was kidnapped. Please share no matter where you live please share. She’s missing from Ansonia,Ct

Honestly, I just sort of muscled through it. My son’s last sleep regression was from 9 months to 10 months and it was brutal. Good luck.

Well pleay with her until she is work out, warm bath lavender (as long as not allergic) lotion and try to get her to sleep with noise it will help with jot walking around her.

1 Like

My son’s 19 months and still does this… Always has… He’s never been a good sleeper… I understand what you’re going through… Hope it gets better for you soon…

My graco swing chair was a life saver when I first had my eldest, she would fall asleep within minutes of being in it which meant I could catch up on some sleep during the day while she napped in it.

1 Like

My daughter did this and as much as i hated to put her in daycare it help with her sleeping

I went thru the same thing with my daughter at that age . The swing chair helped me too. Otherwise I slept when she slept awake when she was awake . Did alot of cleaning at 2 in the morning.

I take my little girl swimming it tires her out

I would put my babies across my knees and massage (gently) their neck…back…legs. we both enjoyef…tired baby out …we both slept

Babies aren’t supposed to sleep in incline sleepers or swings. That’s some survivor biased information given out. Stop day naps, or If not possible then make sure after like 4-5 no naps at all, bath full belly and even then just remember she’s only 4 months, most babies don’t sleep through the night that young. And it’s ok for her to sit in her bed awake. You getting her out and letting her play isn’t wearing her out at 2345 in the morning it’s telling her its time to wake. Change her make sure she’s not hungry or sick and let her lay in her bed 💁

4 Likes

Swing chair is the key, knocks them out