My daughter refuses to eat meat: Advice?

My son was the same way up until last year!!! Dont force her

Some people don’t feel well from eating meat. I can’t believe I have to say this but You never force people to eat anything -that’s how eating disordered thinking starts. Don’t make meal time a huge issue. Let her eat what she wants and make sure she gets protein. Talk to her doctor about her maybe having Ensure or adding vitamins if they are concerned but people can get most of what they need from a healthy diet. It might be good for all of you.

1 Like

Just so you have piece of mind everything your daughter gets in meat is doubled in a plant based diet. cows get all iron and protein from grass xxx she will gain more meat and muscle theoughplants than meat :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please let me know when you have the answer. My 8 year old son refuses to eat meat. Expect chicken nuggets. Those are fine. Anything else… nope.

As a kid on a property, I too gave up eating meat, now as an adult I’d starve without having a good steak

My youngest son had an intolerance to certain meat proteins since birth. He finally out grew the last one at age 10.
It’s called FPIES.

1 Like

Buy her some tofu and cook it for her

1 Like

Don’t make her eat it might grow up be vegan which is not bad
We raise our animals for meat as well
Get her vitamins if feel she will be lacking something by not eating meat

2 Likes

My friends daughter makes bone broth for her non meat eating daughter

There are other types of protein
Stop trying to force her to eat Meat
I don’t eat meat and I don’t need it

Let her choose. My daughter is vegetarian and she made that choice at 6. She’s 8 now. She likes meat she chooses not to eat if because of the animals. She’s a huge animal advocate. At first it was hard since we all eat meat but now it’s second nature.

1 Like

Honestly, in the big scheme of things, this is not a battle to choose. Don’t force her and save your energy for a real battle. Not worth it. Hang in there, mama! Remember you’re doing an awesome job!!

1 Like

She’ll grow out of it, for now just give her whatever you serve your family minus the beef. Kids sometimes have problems with textures and flavor

She don’t wanna eat it quit force feeding her your gonna make her resent you …

Plenty of ways to get protein without meat

She won’t die. Lots of protein in lentils, beans and yes, even vegetables.

My daughter is 6 and does the same, I just offer it to her the majority of the time she refuses but the odd time she will but not much…Honestly as long as shes eating a good variety of other things I’m sure shes good…

1 Like

My daughter is 23 and has been a vegetarian by choice since she was little. Even before that, she didn’t like meat very much. She’s fine. Very healthy.

I would stop making her eat it. Its probably a texture thing. My cousin is the same way. She’ll eat chicken and fish but not steak and pork. She doesn’t like the texture. Shes super healthy too.

Nothing wrong with her not wanting to eat meat. As long as she gets protein and iron in other foods. I wouldn’t worry as long as her Dr says she’s healthy. And don’t force her. It will only cause undue stress to her and you, not to mention resentment. Pick your battles.

1 Like

My 7 year old daughter is the same way. But she loves Milk, cheese, egg whites and peanut butter. She is perfectly healthy! She has never really eaten meat. We do offer it to her, but she will rarely eat it. She gets enough protein. Dr. Says to let her eat what she wants. She also will only eat fresh raw veggies and fresh fruit. Good luck!

1 Like

Do not make her eat it. There are plenty of ways to get the nutrients and protein she needs without meat. I myself have never liked meat much. Beans, tofu, peanut butter, eggs, quinoa, peas, protein bars. Snacks like that are great options.

She can get protein from beans and many other things…if she hasn’t liked eating since birth, its obviously not something she’s just started doin to be defiant…leave her be

1 Like

Don’t force her to eat meat seriously if someone has that big a problem with it then don’t force them they’ll resent it for life

Let her eat all the veggies and other sides that she wants. If her body doesn’t want meat it just doesn’t want it

I wouldn’t force her to eat it.

1 Like

…dont force her to eat a dead animal if she doesnt like that. Offer it to her, if she doesnt eat it, great! Find her some substitutes. Dont force her.

1 Like

My daughter is 2 and she’s the same way. The only meat she’ll eat is hotdogs

I wouldn’t push it. I’m a big meat eater but my daughter will only eat very few certain meats. More for me :woman_shrugging:t2:

I wouldn’t force it. It might be the texture and/or taste. As long as she has other protein in her diet, let it go.

Look into plant substitutes, it honestly doesnt taste quite the same but still good

Do you like being forced to eat stuff you don’t like? Do you like being yelled at when you won’t eat something you don’t like?
She doesn’t like meat! Why would you continue to force her to eat it?
She may be a child, but she knows she doesn’t like something. Having her parents force her,yell at her, punish her and all the negative crap because she doesn’t like something…is saying a lot to her about you.

3 Likes

As long as she eats fruits and vegetables along with protein sources I wouldn’t force anything! (But also forcing and controlling food in young people is a huge risk factor for an eating disorder…) teach balanced eating, maybe take a look at some vegetarian food blogs/health guides to give her the power to choose her foods.

Don’t force her. My daughter refuses meat too. Even chicken nuggets she won’t touch. :woman_shrugging:t3:

I was the same way and my parents finally stopped trying to get me to eat meat. There are plenty of ways to get protein. Seek a dietitian to make sure she’s getting the proper nutrients if you’re concerned. I’ve been a vegetarian for 16 years now and I’m perfectly healthy. In fact I’m pregnant with my first on a vegetarian diet and everything is going great!

2 Likes

Leave her be…just make sure she gets enough protein and Vitamin A and B

1 Like

Is this even a real issue?? She doesn’t like/ want to eat meat… why would u yell at her & try to force her to do so?? If u didn’t like something or if u chose not to eat something… how would u like it if someone yelled at u & tried making u eat it

2 Likes

Don’t force meat. My boys refuse it. Beans are great, peanut butter also. Offer her everything else but the meat. You can put a little on the plate but never berate her over it.

Dont make her eat something she doesnt like. As long as shes healthy just let her be

2 Likes

I wouldn’t force her to eat it! As long as she has a balanced diet, she will be fine. I would offer but not force. If she changes her mind, great…if not, then make sure she gets protein from other sources.

I wouldnt force it on her. She may have a texture issue. We don’t necessarily NEED meat. Especially with all the chemicals pumped into it these days. Talk to her pediatrician/research to figure out other ways for her to get protein.

Never force a child to eat anything. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Eating just fruits and veggies is very healthy. Stop forcing her.

1 Like

Cheaper and healther not to eat it.

They have so many substitutes for meat in the freezer section, that have protein in them.

1 Like

My son in only 4 but he’s been this way forever as well. I couldn’t even eat meat while I was pregnant with him, it made my virulently I’ll :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

My almost 11yr old only just started eating “meat” 6ish months ago, in the form of a sausage and bean pastie, and now will eat “pigs in blankets” (sausage wrapped in bacon and that’s only from the last week or so

Peanut butter exists :upside_down_face: we also give my daughter vitamins every night. We also had to do chocolate carnation breakfast packages. Now she eats cheeseburgers sometimes

If she is eating everything else and getting all the nutrients she needs DO NOT force her to eat my dad was the same way. I started around 7 or 8 having trouble eating due to the anxiety that i couldn’t eat the rest of my food without getting sick for stress i knew i was not able to leave the table unless i ate a decent portion of the meat. I still have this problem today ( im 34) ive been hospitalized 5 times in the past year to get vitamins and fluids. I can barely hold down water when i get in the slightest stressful situations and can only eat 3-4 small bites at a time. Also i do understand wanting her to try things but the forcing or being punished/yelled at is a problem for a lot of people.

Does she not like it because of taste/texture? If that’s the reason I would keep trying different things but not force it. If it’s because she’s doesn’t want to eat animals then leave it be, forcing her is wrong.

No problem let her be meatless. Give her beans and rice a total protein

1 Like

You can always get vegetarian sausages or mince. Try her with that if she doesn’t like it. Then you know it’s the texture she doesn’t like and not the meat itself. If she enjoys it then it’s the meat she dislikes.

Add other iron and proteins and also maybe try seasoning it up alot and see if that helps , also they make vegetarian foods try those

My sister had this issue, but it qasnt just meat. She wouldnt eat almost anything. So we took her to a pediatric nutritionist. I’d say since shes getting protein, that shes okay. She might grow out of it

Seriously, how would you feel being forced to eat something you don’t like or want. Stop forcing her and feed her things she actually wants to eat

1 Like

I would never want to be forced go eat something I didn’t want to eat. I would never try to force anyone to eat something they didn’t want to eat!

Don’t make her eat meat if she doesnt want to

If she dont want it, then dont make her. You dont need meat.

Don’t make her, she may be vegetarian. Just feed her everything else you eat and fit in protein in other ways. Does she like chicken? Eggs? Fish? Peanut butter?

I mean if she has always had an issue with eating meat and she is only 8… why haven’t you accepted this yet??
I would do everything humanly possible to make sure she is getting all of the proper nutrients. I would do this by speaking to her doctor, finding a nutritionist for her to see, speak to people that are vegetarian or vegan, etc. what I WOULD NOT do is yell at her for eating meat!

1 Like

the only problem you will have is if she ever is to become anemic, she will have a problem with getting iron. you need to do lots of research on the vegetarian diet. because if she doesn’t eat red meat she will need iron and magnesium from other sources. beans, lentils, leafy green vegetables all excellent sources of iron. because as she grows she will have the chance she may become anemic, you need to make sure she gets lots of calcium and vitamin D if she refuses to drink milk and eat cheese. you need to make sure she gets all the nutrients you can get down her. also you need to make sure she gets fiber in her system as well. there are a lot of loopholes in the vegetarian diet you need to know about. the best advice from a doctor for someone whose anemic is to go eat a steak every once in a while. because red meat has a high concentration of nutrients that plant matter does not have and youd have to have a great variety of vegetables to emulate the nutrients of red meat!!

I wouldn’t force the issue. Google “sources of protein” and you will find hundreds of non meat options available.

I wouldn’t force her to eat it then. Offer it and let her eat if she wants. My kids prefer wild meat, but we live in a place we can go and hunt for meat literally at our doorstep lol

Offer her fish and other sort of wild meat if u can

Just let the issue go. As long as her diet is balanced and she is getting her proper nutrition-does it really matter? At what you t does this become a power issue? She doesn’t care for it, so let it be. Pick your battles wisely. One of my girls hated meat…and now she eats MORE meat than any of the 5 kids.

If she is healthy find a vegan cook book and find different ways to fix a variety of foods for her she may outgrow it later when she gets older fix meat for you and your husband that way she knows it’s there but she can eat something else

My oldest does not like meat, I don’t force her to eat meat. The only actual meat is breakfast and a Burger on occasion.
But I also feel this way with all food a kids.
We do not force,
we do not fight, we do not punish. We get them in the kitchen early, if they do not eat the dinner I cook they do not get snacks or desert but they can absolutely choose or make themselves an alternative.
I wish more posts about food were this supportive.

My kids only eat chicken nuggets. and fish sticks if i lie and say its chicken

1 Like

Try different meats. Maybe seafood? I personally hate chicken. Unless its cooked in certain ways.

My 6 and 4.5 year old don’t eat meat either. They get what they need from beans and other sources.

I would never force my child to eat something. If she gives a shot and doesnt like it, let it go. Maybe she’ll outgrow it maybe not.

Don’t force it. There are plenty of other ways to get protein. Speak with a dietician

Leave it alone, meat is horrible for you

1 Like

It could be a texture thing. I wasn’t a meat eater as a child if she isn’t a meat eater there are other ways to get the proteins and vitamins she needs. Peanut butter, pediasure drinks, green leafy veggies, will all help add what she is missing from the lack of meat consumption

Flesh eating sounds very zombieesque

4 Likes

I’d refuse it more if I were being forced to eat something I didnt like. As for it being better or her “needing” it… you can get proteins and fats from other things so that’s incorrect.
My son is 2 and the only meat he will eat is fish and chicken

I was forced to eat eggs at daycare about age 5. To this day I can’t even stand to smell them! Don’t force her if she is healthy and happy.

My now 23 y.o. was never a fan of beef of any kind pretty much from birth. Even before she was able to eat food (as in still getting formula in bottles), she would gag if someone ate beef around her. I just fed her other meats and it wasn’t an issue for me. Her father (whom I was not with) tried to force her to eat beef…and pretty much every time, she would end up vomiting or complain of stomach pains for several days.

There are plenty of ways to eat healthy and not eat meat…

I would offer it still but don’t fight her on it if she doesnt want it she doesnt want it. Protein you get in meat you can get in other things yogurt and peanut butter both have protein as well. Offer but if she doesnt eat it then she doesnt eat it. Not a big deal. Never force or fight them it will cause eating anxieties in the child. You can also try pediasure. It can help with the weight if you are that concerned about it please talk to her doctor.

Give it up. I didn’t eat meat until I was an adult

Meat is what it is, i would suggest you just gradually you reduce the amount you give her, or disguise it some other way i learnt the hard way that its no good forcing them times have changed you can get things like kids multi vitamins if your worried about iron or mineral in take, not judging you at all but these days kids seem to know what they like

Yea I would say her whole life… At 8 im pretty sure she doesnt want meat
Some kids dont my daughter doesnt really like shrimp, and we love it… Shes 6. I stopped trying
She will tell me what she likes and doesnt. Your kid is 8. Let her skip the meat. Jesus.

Forcing them will not help the fact she doesn’t like it. What it will do is make her resent you that you refuse to let her make some choices herself as a child and then take that into adult years. As long as she eats the foods she needs for her to remain healthy she will be fine without meat.

Not a problem don’t fret about it or force her. I prefer seafood and chicken over beef. Beef sedates me. Meat loaf didn’t . Baked potatoes, eggs I like too. Hamburgers are now and then.

Why does it matter if she doesn’t eat meat? There’s plenty of foods she can eat that don’t have meat in the forefront. Sometimes it’s a sensory thing. Some kids just don’t ear certain foods. They are human and have preferences. My 9 year old despises eggs unless they are boiled. She hates the texture of them

Stop trying to force it. She’s 8 not 2. She knows what she likes. She may change her mind later down the road, you never know. Taste buds are constantly changing. My kids were never much into burgers but just this year they both started eating burgers. They’re 6 and 10. If it’s something that she’s never had before then I would ask her to at least TRY a bite of it first and if she doesn’t like it, don’t force it. A lot of kids don’t like meat that much. It’s not unusual. Besides, you said yourself that there is no problem getting protein in her. So she’s fine.

Don’t make her eat it, it could hurt her belly or just not sit well with her. Try plant based proteins. They will give her what she needs Heath wise.

Thank you for the advice everyone. I talked with her dad today. He said “if you don’t mind then I don’t mind. We just have to get her her protein other ways.” We sat down and talked with our daughter and told her of she chooses to not eat meat we will support it but she does have to work on eating her veggies more and fruit and also beans. She does like all that stuff. And eats it. So it shouldn’t be a problem. Also, she loves the Costco protein shakes. I will look into other forms of iron as well. My mom never made me eat anything I didn’t want to do I don’t want to do that to her. And it was never forcing her to eat it. Just her sitting down looking at her plate and crying and is going back and forth. She’s 8 now. She knows how to keep something going until I finally just give in and say it’s fine throw it away. Lol last night we had Rib Eye steaks. And shrimp. She threw all hers away. I plan to not put it on her plate anymore. Thank you again for all the advice. Also everyone that was a bit cocky and mean it actually does help. Again the whole meat thing I am also very sensitive to as well. Mostly because of knowing it was an animal and the texture. It’s hard. And I am 29 so I know it’s tough for her. My 4 year old will eat a whole steak and last night even ate about 6 shrimp. Lol I can’t get her to eat the sides but she will eat all the meat. Meanwhile my 8 year old eats only the side and none of the meat. Lol :woman_facepalming:t4::crazy_face: I will get there!!! :woman_shrugging:t4::massage_woman:t4::heart:

5 Likes

Dont worry about it! My eldest daughter never ate meat! But when she got married and was pregnant with her first child i found her eating meat😂

I’m glad you got it figured out. To me, not WANTING meat is mind blowing! We grew up poor and most of our meals were fried potatoes, green beans, and cornbread… I crave meat now lol

They change dont worry

Let her go vegetarian what’s it gonna hurt

My small 7 year old boy does not eat meat because of the texture. He loves peanut butter. I talked to his doctor and she put him on Children’s boost.

Just stop trying. My 4yo son isn’t a meat eater. Some kids just don’t like it. Just put vegetarian proteins together

She might not like it know,she might when she gets older, I wouldn’t force her to eat it.as long as she’s not malnourished.

Don’t make her eat it if she doesn’t like it… my kids don’t eat a lot of meat or a lot of other foods but with time they have started eating certain kind of meat they will ask if they can taste and if they like it I will keep adding to the list of stuff they would eat… we have make a lot of progress in 11 years the oldest is the pickiest with the meat the youngest it’s picky with texture… so don’t worry she will get there…

Feed her healthy items that she likes. Make sure she is getting all her vitamins and minerals. Make sure she she gets proper protein. Don’t bother forcing her. Maybe consider diced meat for smaller bits. I hate mushrooms… but small diced they blend in.

I don’t call my self a vegetarian but I never liked it growing up. Still don’t love meat…I prefer pasta, fruit and veggies

The only meat my kids will eat is in the form or a chicken nugget or a sausage and that is it they won’t eat anything else I can’t even get them to eat veggies they are a nightmare , when they where younger they would eat anything I put in front of them but now I have no chance of a carrot going near them or any sort of fresh meat even if I make chicken nuggets from scratch they won’t tough them ,have to be store bought , my youngest just now loves everything she even eats raw veg which none of my others did , I think the more u force the issue the more she is going to dig her heels in tbh , maybe just let it go for a bit and see if one day she changes her mind there is plenty vegetarians out there who are perfectly healthy human beings so don’t stress to much about it x

I don’t make my kids eat stuff they’ve ALWAYS hated

1 Like

Stop giving it to her. It’s really her choice now. You have to respect her choice to not want to eat meat. Theres nothingbwrong with that at all. There are so many other ways for her to get her protien. If I were you, I would let it go and chill out.

1 Like

Peanut butter n jelly!