My daughter refuses to eat meat: Advice?

Iron supplement. Maybe a b12 shot at the dr but honestly she doesnt have to eat it

Why are people so quick to say “dont force it” yet force fruits n vegetables? What kid likes vegetables? & MOST kids I know… DONT LIKE MEAT EITHER. it’s a form of iron. If shes not getting it in her, hope she is getting it else where. Try mixing it up. Try gravy, sauces, alfredos, lasagna, stir frys etc. However, at 8… It may be difficult to change it. Shes at the age where she either knows what she likes or doesnt. Goodluck.
My youngest didnt like meat, etc, but adding gravy or sauces or having her take bites with other things she started to like it. Kids are naturally picky. Hope u get it sorted out, momma.

1 Like

My third does not like most meats only one iv ever seen him eat no issues is my pork chops and occasionally baked chicken there is ways to substitute protein he loves boiled eggs so I usally have those ready for him to snack on or peanut butter with apples some people don’t like the taste or texture of meat and that’s ok I’d rather my kid pick up a bag of apples oranges broccoli then eat a crap ton of meat

Don’t force it. Lots of people have texture issues.

If your doctor says she’s healthy then let her be. Being forced into eating something makes anyone dislike it more. Her taste may change or may not, save you both the headache :grinning:

1 Like

I wouldn’t force the issue. As long as she is getting protein it isn’t a huge issue. I would continue to encourage/ offer if she wanted to try it, but not force it. Maybe she will come around, maybe she won’t. My son eats very little meat and he isn’t suffering, so I just let it go.

Don’t try to force her to eat something she doesn’t like

Do you eat things you don’t like? Me either.

1 Like

I wouldn’t force her. Sounds like you got it covered with how she’s getting her protein. Follow a group that are vegans and vegatarians for any other pointers or recipes. I love meat too, but if you make the right meal once in a while, you won’t even miss it. Don’t force her. She may come around eventually, or she won’t.

My daughter is a vegetarian and the rest of us aren’t. Funny thing is she’s healthier than the rest of us

Pick and choose your battles. Is this really an issue that you want to harm your relationship with your child.

Maybe like spaghetti? Maybe ask her dr about that everybody is different I’m sure there’s plenty of other things you that she’d like …

Check with her doctor to make sure she doesn’t need any added vitamins, etc. Meat in general is a great way to get iron in. My daughter, who is 18, doesn’t eat meat much and was told to take a multivitamin with iron as her labs weren’t very good. Just a thought from a health standpoint. Took awhile for it to show up for my daughter (hair loss, trouble sleeping, always tired) and we thought it was her thyroid issues causing the problems but it wasn’t.

let her do how she wants its her call mine stopped eating meat at 17 i let her decide yes or no now 30 years later she is back to meat she must have freedom to make choice on this its her body

If you feel she is getting enough nutrition don’t yell at her for not eating something you eat. Obviously that doesn’t work anyway. Check with a nutritionist or your doctor to make sure she is getting enough nutrients.

Stop forcing her to eat something she hates, she will grow up and resent you for it. Shes old enough to know that she doesnt like something, and you even said she gets her protien elsewhere, give her a multivitamin and let her be a vegetarian.

I’m vegan , my cousin is vegan & raising her 2 daughters vegan. She doesnt NEED meat to stay healthy or be healthy . As long as she’s getting her protein from other sources , she’ll be fine . Just have her vitamin B checked to make sure she’s getting enough from other sources . I wouldn’t make her eat it , pick your battles & this battle isn’t a huge one . Good luck

2 Likes

You don’t have to eat meat to be healthy. I didn’t eat meat much aside from pepperoni as a child. Don’t push it as long as she’s healthy. Learn more about a vegetarian diet for kids. There’s a lot of good books and resources online. My mom used to try and force me to eat it and that me want it less. I ate plenty of beans and rice. Honestly you need a ton of protein.

1 Like

So just drop the demand to eat meat. don’t even offer her any meat, ignore her not eating meant.

Don’t force her. As long as she is getting the calories and protein that she needs to be healthy, she is fine. Take her dad to her next pediatrician’s appointment and have him talk to the Dr about it. Maybe having Doc talk to him about it might help ease his mind about it.

1 Like

They go through all kinds of “i dont eat this” before they are grown believe me lol

Let the child eat what they choose. As long as it’s food and they’re getting the proper nutrition. Making it available for if or when your child would want it. My daughter would never eat certain foods, come to find out she’s allergic to those items. Sometimes it’s not worth the battle.

She will be just fine without meat. There’s are tons of meat alternatives! :slightly_smiling_face: fruits and veggies are what’s most important. Find a protein source, it won’t be difficult and it’ll be totally normal!

Give it time, my niece didn’t eat n e meat… then she grew out of it. It was a texture thing

My daughter didnt eat bread for the first 5 years of her life. Lol if she wants to try it, cool. But sometimes you just gotta let kids do what they do 🤷 as long as shes getting the proper nutrition i wouldnt worry with it

It could be a texture or a taste thing with her don’t worry about it she’ll eat what she needs

If she doesn’t like it, don’t force it. Make sure she gets her protein and make sides to your meals that complement tofu or something like that. If your husband wants to push the issue, find out why after assuring him her protein needs are being met.

Peanut butter is a good supplement to replace red meat!!!

Reading a lot of dumbass people saying “don’t force her” just shut up we all were forced to eat or don’t eat. She is a child and doesn’t know better. That’s where the parents come in! Refusing to eat meat as a child grows is dangerous, growth plates, tissue development, and brain development is improved by eating meat. I know vegans are going to disagree, but could careless about those idiots. But like most people say are a nutritionist NOT a doctor! Anyways good luck with your kid!

My mom was the same way and still is. The ONLY time and way she will eat beef is if she’s getting anemic and she will eat fish first but sometimes she just needs beef unless she wants to take supplements. And when I say she eats her beef well done… I mean she eats hockey pucks. Lol it better be so cooked thru that the inside damn well better be as hot as the pan it’s in. Lmao but when she was little my gpa was kind of abusive and he would force them to eat every bite on their plate, my mom literally would not if it was meat, anything other than chicken and u might as well just go get her a pillow cuz she’s sleeping at the table. Lol they gave up when she was like 11 or 12, started letting/teaching her to cook her own stuff. She’s 49 and if she was starving she wouldn’t eat a steak. Lol

I was the same way and still am don’t force her to eat anything she doesn’t like it’ll just cause to many problems and fights between y’all just let her eat what she wants but make sure she gets the protein she needs

Dont force her she will have emotional issues dont plants and non animal foods are healthy

I don’t force any food on my kids. My 2 year old is just starting to try stuff (he’s had major texture issues with food.) I get them to try it and if they don’t like it I’m not going to scream at them for not having the same taste buds I do.

My daughter is the same way and is also 8years old. I do not make her eat meat and will respect her wishes to chose not to eat meat. We have her drinking pediasure and a green juice I can’t remember the name off the top of my head from Costco to get her protein.

Get her protein drinks to drink every day.

FYI beans alone are not a complete protein so I suggest looking into this further. My 13 year old is a vegetarian and I asked for help in a lacto ovo group and was completely shocked at my quick education. Beans and rice together make a complete protein, beans alone don’t fill her nutritional needs.

IF your Doctor says she’s healthy, quit fighting her disdain for meat. She “may” change as she gets older, but daily arguments will only result in eating disorders or other problems. Ours went through phases (years long) of not eating certain foods. Let your husband talk with the Dr if necessary to reassure him your daughter will survive without meat.

Why would u force her to eat something she doesn’t like…:thinking::thinking:

1 Like

My 12 year old won’t eat meat except for chicken. I don’t force him to. He’s tall and skinny at around 90lbs but healthy. He loves eggs, peanut butter and cheese so he gets plenty of protein. :woman_shrugging:

2 of my kids don’t eat meat let it go she might come around if not just make sure she is getting protein.

Don’t force her. She doesn’t need meat she can fet her proteins from other foods. As long as she eats a healthy portion shes fine. She doesn’t need to be a big kid to be healthy.

My daughter also stopped eating beef at the age of 8 (because a cow licked her hand😯). She ate chicken & bacon only for about 5 yrs, no red meat. The only thing to do is make sure she’s getting protein & all nutrients she needs from other foods.
My daughter has been a vegetarian since her teens. Very healthy. She would know more to tell you than I can but I’m sure there’s lots of vegetarian/vegan recipes online. And by having a vegetarian daughter, I can tell you there are many tasty dishes out there that even us meat eaters can enjoy. You could incorporate into your dinners for the whole family…even Dad! He might like it!!

For years i avoided meat. Now im a vegetarian. I didnt know why at the time meat made me feel so sick. Years later i found out. My body doesnt produce enough lipase and protease to break meats down. On top of that my gallbladder was bad. So it may not be her being contrary, it may be her body. I dont advocate everyone become a vegetarian, but some people just dont digest it well and may develop an aversion to it. I still love to cook ribs though!

1 Like

Wouldn’t stress. I wouldn’t eat a lot of meat when I was younger but I love steak now. I’m picky though, it’s gotta be a good cut of meat and its gotta be cooked properly

It’s probably a texture issue. I HATED red meat as a kid and it was always a battle to choke down just enough to make it through dinner. I did better with chicken but it was still tough. I still have a love/hate relationship with meat. Talk to her pediatrician about her diet and maybe ask for a referral to a nutritionist for guidance. Theres nothing wrong with her being a vegetarian by choice as long as she gets her nutrients elsewhere.

i wouldn’t force her. Some eat it, some dont. I’m a big meat eater, like my steaks rare. If my daughter don’t like any kind of meat, I wouldn’t make her eat it.

Who the hell cares if she doesn’t eat meat. There’s way more protein and vitamins/minerals in veggies anyway than there is in meat.
You’re a ‘flesh eating family’ ok , no matter how creepy that sounds, but if she doesnt like it then don’t worry. Just add more beans and coloured veggies to her meals so shes getting a good variety.

2 Likes

Only meat I eat is hamburger and chicken breasts and even then it’s a minimum.
I dont get why parents make kids eat food they dont like. Do you as an adult eat foods you dont like? And you dont need to eat meat for protein - eggs, almonds, oats, milk are all great sources of protein.

My son is 3, I don’t force him to eat meat. But is bigger than most of his age mates.

I’d stop trying to get her to eat the milk. Protein drinks are fine as well as a top up, but things like peanuts etc are already a great source of that as well. She will only grow to resent food/meals if you keep trying to force her. You said shes never liked it from day 1, so its not like shes just being fussy for zero reason. X

I am a meat eater but if she doesn’t want meat work with her and a dietitian.

My son decided at the age of 7 he was not going to eat meat, a very personal choice. I offer it, he will eat whatever we are having, minus the meat. He is going to be 14 this summer, and hasn’t eaten meat at all. At this point, it’s just who he is. He would rather not eat at all than consume a chunk of an animal.

Leave her be if she don’t eat it 🤷

I think it’s ok to have her taste it to see if she likes it but don’t make her eat what she dont like…make an appt and talk to her doctor.

So what my daughter is married and has two children and doesnt eat it she looks and feels bettet then me.

Don’t make her eat it.

1 Like

My youngest never liked it much even as a baby…I never forced her to eat it but would make her try it. As she got older she would eat what she wanted but I didn’t push. At one point as a young teenager she quit eating it for awhile as the young man next door who worked at a slaughter house the previous summer told her about it in GRAPHIC detail. She also quit eating TUNA until I bought it in cans marked “Dolphin safe”. I say as long as your daughter is getting her protein from other sources to leave her be. As long as her doctor says she’s healthy she’ll be fine.

There are plenty of vegan, products of protein now out In all markets to choose from have her try those and explain they’re not meat

1 Like

I think you answered your own question.

For the longest time red meat made my stomach hurt, and even the smell could make me feel sick. No one forced me to eat it, and after I got pregnant with my first I was able to eat it. Some people just don’t like meat. She doesn’t need it.

humans don’t need to eat meat to survive. if she doesn’t like it then don’t force her

1 Like

:green_heart: Let her decide :green_heart:
I’ve never eaten meat. I was raised vegetarian along with my 5 siblings. My mother was quite laid back though & allowed us to choose if we wanted to eat meat once we started school. My siblings all choose to but I never wanted it. I’ve always loved animals so much & have never seen them as food. I’ve been rescuing everything from mice foxes cats birds dogs & horses since I was a child - I actually went vegan 7 years ago after seeing a video of baby calves being killed in the diary industry- it made me cry so much I’ve never touched dairy since.
Health wise I’ve always been fit and healthy I served 4 years in the military so had to be & I have had my blood checked recently as I’m heavily pregnant & they came back perfect :ok_hand:t2:

I wouldnt force her, support her choice.

1 Like

I’ve been vegetarian for 17 odd years. I was a young child when I stopped eating it by choice . I personally wouldn’t push it on her. Most meat isn’t actually good for you anyway (loads of chemicals!) and definietly isn’t needed for a healthy diet. The only nutrient lacking is B12 so make sure she gets things like fortified cereals and pick up some vitamins. My parents used a meat substitute like quorn mince or quorn pieces where possible so I could eat the same meals as them .

1 Like

did you ever ask her why??? But as many also said, if she doesn’t want it, why force it. How about chicken??

They have kids vitamins. Give up on the meat. Gummy vitamins are great.

As long as the doctor agrees that she’s getting the protien and vitamins that she needs, why fight? Make sure she’s not living off carbs though. She might be petite now, but she doesn’t need a jelly belly by 15 because she lives on pasta and rice and bread and potatoes. A lot of vegetarians make that mistake… then they blame their metabolism. :roll_eyes: :joy:

1 Like

Eggs are a good source of proteins

Leave her alone and stop forcing her to eat something she doesn’t like. You and your husband wouldn’t want someone trying to force something down your throat that you don’t like would you?

Don’t make her eat it. As long as shes healthy why push it.

I didnt eat much meat until I was an adult pretty much. And I can still go without it really.

Always offer, dont force

Offer it but don’t fight with her. We went through the same thing. Have her cook it with you then taste test. It may very well be a texture thing. It is for our girl. Give her options to try things. Forcing just makes it worse. If she’s healthy, that’s all that matters. You’re doing what you can. Just be patient. She may come around.

1 Like

If she doesn’t like meat then don’t feed it to her. She can get all the protein & nutrients from other things

I mean my daugter doesnt eat it but shes just a baby and i wouldnt either as a baby but as i got older i loved it just give it time ask her to try it rabdomly if she still dont like it dont make her eat it but i ask her dr if its a consern with jer size or not

Why force her to eat meat? Like dude. You can see there are PLENTY of other choices to make sure she gets the protein and iron she needs.

And her father needs to understand that what he wants, isn’t what she wants plus she doesn’t need meat. He needs to understand that and to swallow his pride and arrogance

My 2 yr old is the same way I just make sure I give him pnut butter, cheese, yogurt w every snack n meal

Don’t force her to eat it. Pediasure makes Sidekicks that have protein if you’re afraid she isn’t getting enough.

It may even be a allergy. Some kids cannot express that their dislike of something is really because of symptoms of an allergy. Give her vitamins, pick up a good vegetarian cookbook, such as Diet for a Small Planet, and talk to her doctor but fights over food are bad physically and emotionally.

I wouldn’t make her eat it. Maybe talk to her doctor to see if she needs any supplements. But more and more people grow up vegetarian these days, and there’s plenty of other food available in our country.

Reverse psychology. Stop making her eat it. Start telling her that its only for grownups and really start enjoying your meat lol

great your child has compassion for animals and doesnt eat them,the rest of her family should do the same

2 Likes

Get her vegetarian meat my daughter eats it and tofu and tell hubby to back off as long as she is eating and get enough she will be ok

Talk with her dr. to make sure she’s getting everything her body needs. She may need to take supplements.
Is it steak, ground, shredded or all ways meat is prepared? Is it texture, dose it make her stomach hurt or just the feeling in her mouth?
My niece (adopted at 13) didn’t like pork chops, she didn’t know how to express how it made her feel. Come to find out she is allergic to pork.

Get over it. She doesn’t have to eat it.

Sounds to me that, as long as she’s getting protein, leave her alone.

She can get the nutrients from other sources. She doesn’t have to eat meat if she doesnt want to.

Please, don’t mention it to her, ever!

Why force her to eat it?! If she’s getting protein from plant sources, she is fine. She is healthy! We are brainwashed into thinking we need meat to be healthy and its not true. Look how strong and muscular cows are…all they eat is grass. Think about it…

1 Like

I was the same way till my parents convinced me it came from trees after i found out the truth ive been eating it long enough to continue

Why would you tell at her every meal. Do you eat something you cant stand at every meal. Leave the child alone and make sure she eats other healthy things

2 Likes

Just give her protein in other forms, beans legumes and nuts. Since she is now 8 ask her why she doesn’t eat meat. She is old enough to be able to communicate why she doesn’t eat it.

I would respect her. Look into how vegetarians eat.

It’s not worth the fight and stress at mealtimes. It’s obvious she really doesn’t like it and it doesn’t seem fair to force her to eat something she really hates when she’s getting the nutrients from a different source. This sounds like my niece growing up to a tee. She was full vego by 16 and is now 30

Combining two of: nuts, grain or beans (legumes) in the diet will provide a complete protein. example peanut butter sandwich, bean burrito, rice and beans.

Do not make her eat it! I used to be the same exact way. Me being forced to eat a certain meat I didn’t like, broke our family up behind arguments and fights! Let her be her, she’ll learn her disinterest in meat is actually quite common, AND WHY!!

Why woukd you force her to eat somerhing she clearly dislikes? As long as shes getting her iron and protein in other ways why is it an issue?

All these softies these days. When I was a kid, my sister would chew the same piece of meat for an hour. My parents ended up putting her food in a blender and making her drink it. This is why kids are so disrespectful anymore. Too much catering and not enough correction. And by correction I sure as shit mean ass beatings.

Making her eat it might traumatize her to never like it. I wouldn’t force it as long as you’re consistent with alternate proteins. But the fact is, in America, we largely over feed/eat protein daily.