My daughters daycare hasn't been giving her the food we pack for her: Should we fight it?

We have a 20-month old that goes to daycare full time. Daycare provides breakfast, lunch, and a snack. However, she eats breakfast at home before she goes to daycare, and we pack her a lunch and two snacks every day. Lately, the ladies at daycare haven’t been giving her the snacks that we are providing, and when my husband asked about it this morning, they said she wants what the other kids have, but she always eats her lunches we provide and haven’t had a problem there. My question is, should we fight back on this and ask the head daycare lady to make them give her the provided food that we bring, or is this just starting the phase of she will want to have what other kids have. We aren’t super health nuts by any means, but we also don’t want her eating cereal, chicken nuggets, corn dogs, and fries every day. What should we do?

47 Likes

As long as she’s eating thats all that matters. But babies want what every one has. Bc they are greedy :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Being a provider that does have kids who bring own meals i would require her eat ure food firdt then maybe daycare

I’d let her eat what others are eating. It’s hard as a provider and for other kids to understand why another child gets different foods.

12 Likes

She’s probably just wanting what everyone else has. You can still tell them to feed her the snacks with the lunch but honestly soon she’ll be like every other kid. Mac and cheese and chicken nuggets lol

2 Likes

If she’s getting the lunch you packed I’d say let the snacks go. I can’t imagine the daycare giving her bad things for snack.

2 Likes

She’s eating so I wouldn’t make a big deal out of it honestly.

7 Likes

I’d say let her eat what she wants. My kid wont eat at all so be blessed

1 Like

Let her eat what she want’s. Of course she want’s what others have. She’s eating and I’m sure not just junk that’s all that I would care about.

1 Like

I think its fine shes eating what the other kids are eating maybe their right she wants what they havebits no big deal let it go

2 Likes

Pick your battles. This isn’t one…

22 Likes

Is okay for the her to want what other kids have and it happen. Now if you don’t want her to have it then make them clear that but also know that you daughter might feel some type of way when they tell her she can’t have what the other kids have

When I worked at daycare our licensing standards said we could not allow outside food. The kids had to eat what was made in the kitchen. Only exceptions were parties and those treats had to be store bought.

6 Likes

As a mom and past daycare provider, it’s easier when you have 10 kids all eating the same foods rather than one being singled out. Find a new daycare that doesn’t provide food. :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Daycare’s aren’t allowed to give that stuff everyday? And even if they do, they’re usually homemade with veggies and stuff added in. I thought this was legislation now that it had to meet dietary requirements?

If she wants to have what the other kids are having, I wouldn’t stop it honestly. It’s hard being the odd one out and knowing it, so maybe just give them to her as an after school snack if you’re worried? Having to seperate her from her friends while they have breakfast together wouldn’t be an easy feat either, and I’m not sure they’re allowed to deny a kid who requests food lol

3 Likes

If they’re offering and she isn’t wanting it, I’d let it slide.

1 Like

When my daughter was in day care she wanted what all the other kids were having for a snack. And honestly a lot of the times it was fruit and she would only eat that at day care. She’s a picky eater and shes almost 10 and still picky. I say let her have what she wants at day care. Usually it’s something sorts healthy if it’s like the one I used.

1 Like

If she’s eating, I’d let it go.

3 Likes

Choose your battles. That isn’t a big deal at all. I’m sure they are nutritious snacks. It’s difficult for providers to give children different food.

4 Likes

As long as she’s eating I’m not seeing the problem. Most dayscares and school have nutrition guidelines they don’t feed kids complete junk.

1 Like

She probably actually wants what the other kids have. Seriously. That’s how kids work…

2 Likes

My 14 year old still switches food with his friends. Welcome to children.

2 Likes

I would let her eat what the other kids are eating, she doesn’t want to feel left out

2 Likes

Is the daycare on the food program? As someone who has worked at a couple centers if they are on food program they’re required to serve every child the food program stuff first. Also you’re making the whole day harder for them by sending something because now we have 19 other kids wanting what she has and your daughter wanting what they have.

Also there may be a kid in her class now with allergies and they now have to limit outside food.

16 Likes

Just let them eat the food they have i went thru this when my son started TK i made his lunch everyday but his teacher asked me to stop because it made him sad that he didnt get to eat what the other kids were eating so i just started asking him does he want me to make him a lunch or eat lunch at school it also helped getting the menu so i could tell him what the school was serving. As long as ur baby is eating and not starving dont make a big deal out of it

3 Likes

She wants what everyone else has, she could feel left out when she doesn’t get it.

Unless it’s an allergy, either let her eat there or find one that everyone brings lunch

1 Like

Pick your battles!! Why not let her eat at school it would save you time & money?!

2 Likes

Why is it a problem for her to eat what the daycare provides? Quit sending food when food is already provided and give her what you want when she’s not in daycare. The other kids aren’t having different foods sent in…of course she wants what everyone else gets. 🤷

2 Likes

If you are really set on wanting her to eat the snacks you pack, then I would say something; But since she’s eating the lunches you provide I think you should give her a pass on the snacks. My daughter is the same at Church on Sunday’s, when she see the kids eating the snacks our church provides she wants those too instead of the snacks I have packed. I think it’s normal!

1 Like

I personally dont understand why waste your time unless theres a medical reason for it.

2 Likes

Unless there is an allergy issue I wouldn’t worry about it. Daycares have to follow state guidelines for what they feed the kids.

4 Likes

I run a childcare center & it is tough when the kids bring their own food/snacks rather than eating what I provide. They act as if they are trouble that they aren’t eating what everyone else is, sometimes they eat just fine but other times they don’t understand being singled out with a different meal or snack. It does make my heart sad at times. I would hope the daycare isn’t providing food that is to horrible health wise for the kiddos. I also think if you are providing what you think of as “better healthier” meals at breakfast, dinner, weekends then is daycare not being super strict such an issue? I guess it’s a personal parenting decision & something to discuss with daycare. :slightly_smiling_face: good luck momma!!

4 Likes

I think if she is eating the lunch you provide, you can let the snacks slide.

She most likely does want what the others are having. She is starting to have her own likes and dislikes.

Also think of it this way, she eating and you have one less thing to do in the morning

Let her have what the others have

1 Like

Is that really what they feed them for snack? Most daycares and schools have a guideline for nutritional foods to be served.
Pick your battles. If your not super health nuts, then what’s the big deal. She wants to eat what her friends are eating🤷‍♀️

3 Likes

If she is eating what they provide let her eat it. Its actually saving you a few bucks by them.providing her lunch n snacks. Long as she aint having tummy aches and seems fine id let it slide.

Perhaps just leave it as long as she hasnt got allergies. If you’re paying for daycare where they provide three square meals, it seems a waste of money to be packing extra

1 Like

I always did the same, but my kids also wanted to eat what everyone else was eating. Stay flexible, if it’s not a health concern. Ended up saving us money and time, packing it everyday. :woozy_face:

As a old daycare provider, it is very hard to have one singled out especially at that young of an age! I’m not saying I wouldn’t be upset, however I’ve been on both ends of it and if she would rather eat the snacks everyone else is and not what she has packed, at least she is eating! Also many daycares now have very strict food guidelines when it comes to healthy foods.

3 Likes

If she’s eating lunch she packed her, I would let the snack thing go. Some day cares allow outside food, some don’t. I would be content with her eating at all. This is coming also from a mom whose child eats a total of 5 to 7 different foods total and having to get super creative. I wouldn’t stress about it, continue packing the snacks And if she eats them, great, if not, don’t sweat it and send it home with you and she can eat it at another time.

1 Like

Kids always want what other kids have . She might feel singled out if they were to not give her what the others kids have.

You can’t make them make her eat the food she brings. Let her eat what she wants. Geez.

3 Likes

It’s not a big deal. I worked for over 10 years at several daycares and we have never had parents pack there kids lunch and ask us to feed it to them? I ask the parents to bring cereal puffs or yogurt snacks, things like that for in between meals if they are Hungary. But other then that, I’ve never had parents bring there child meals.

1 Like

Just like Elsa from frozen says " let it go! Let it go!" Lol. I’m just saying she probably has little friends and wants to be like them. There is nothing wrong with it. If it bothers you that much give her the healthy snacks at home so you know she’s getting what she needs.

1 Like

Running a daycare I know there’s guidelines we have to follow, we have signs posted for no outside food, I allowed it once for a mom who says she had a picky eater and once the child was in daycare he wanted to eat what the others were eating and we would allow it and send the lunch packed home, it makes it easier on the teacher and child to not pack a lunch, once in public school it’s a lot easier to deal with

2 Likes

Fight it. You’re her mother. Period.

If you want to go all in about snacks at 20 months, you may want to consider home schooling. It doesn’t get easier as they get older… :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

My biggest question is what kind of daycare are taking your child that serves nuggets and corn dogs everyday? States have nutritional mandates for licensed centers. They have to provide a variety of meals and even have to submit it to the state (if they accept daycare vouchers from state) or keep it on file and provide that during inspections. If there not actually cooking meals for there kids Ide find a new daycare. That’s just lazy and illegal. My kids get pasta, spaghetti, real chicken cubes, fruit and veggies and all types of other stuff. Yes they get nuggets and corn dogs but it’s maybe once every 10 days or so.

2 Likes

I mean I guess it depends on what they are giving her for snacks. If it’s like she gets brownies and cookies as snacks instead of the cheese stick or whatever you packed for her I would be annoyed… but if it’s something at least relatively healthy I wouldn’t worry. Pick your battles

1 Like

If you were sending her food because of food allergies or dietary restrictions, I could see fighting it. They are giving her the lunch you provide, just not the snacks…if your daughter is happy and the snacks are interfering with her health…leave it alone.

5 Likes

As a current toddler teacher of that age group, I have had several parents do the same thing but their children see what others are eating and want to have the same thing. Iv had toddlers who started to refuse what their parents brought them and would point to their friends food. Talk more with the teachers and see what is happening. Is your child being offered the food you bring? Is your child refusing to eat it? Or is your child showing more interest in the food served to the other children. I am with you on not wanting my child to eat certain things but in a daycare setting your child wants the same experience as his/her peers and wants to enjoy the same foods after they start to notice similarities and differences. Definitely talk to the center about the details of whats happening

4 Likes

Why would you pack her food when they already provide 3 meals a day. Most places wont accept food being brought in anymore bc of allergies and other reasons. I would just let her eat her meals your paying for it anyways.

8 Likes

Packing her own food when it’s provided would make her feel like the odd one out and of course she wants to eat what the others do leave her and her teachers alone haha be happy they provide healthy food she’s wanting to eat and I say healthy as most push it now mine eat so much more since starting kindergarten and primary as they see the others eating it what they cook or provide and will try it and end up liking it most of the time then I can get them to finally eat what I serve up and it’s always healthy stuff

1 Like

It’s not that serious. She’s being feed

2 Likes

Kids want what other kids have. It happens. My son does it too at school. When in daycare they never gave him cereal, corn dogs or French fries… it was always fruits and vegetables and healthy stuff… so honestly if they’re giving your child those foods I would consider changing daycares…

1 Like

Don’t cause unnecessary drama for your kid and the daycare workers.

6 Likes

Daycare dosent give junk food. My daycare wouldn’t accept outside food do to other kids allergies. Leave it alone amd relax .

3 Likes

Our day care always fed the kids healthy foods. Only on Fridays they are given a special treat for lunch like homemade pizza or a corn dog. She probably just wants to eat what her friends eat and not feel left out.

The daycare provides their own food for a reason.

There could very easily be a child there who is throwing a fit because your child brought in something they want to eat for lunch, thus making the daycare employees job even harder.

If you really want to pack her lunches just wait till she’s in school.

11 Likes

All they can do is offer it. If you fight it im sure you will be getting reports of fits and temper tantrums from your child and possibly cause huge issues and be removed.

1 Like

Ask your daughter what she wants, and let her know it’s ok.

1 Like

I’ll be the odd one out :woman_shrugging:t3: I would push the issue. We refused to let our son eat the food his day care provided. It was crap food, even though it was CACFP approved.

ETA: I’ve worked in child care for 4 years, and I still felt this strongly about it.

2 Likes

I send extras for my girl coz i realized she’s still hungry after the snack provided so I asked them to add on after she’s had what they give. They share their meal plan with all the parents which is great coz for sure I wouldn’t want her eating stuff like nuggets everyday either! If that’s what’s been offered I’d rather send healthier snacks but then again kids will be kids and of course would be drawn to the not so healthy stuff (even we adults would haha). Do discuss the meals and snacks provided by them and i personally think it’s ok to push for the ones you’d prefer your kid eats

Lol those aren’t snacks ask what kind of snacks are being given and if it us that shit say no it’s not okay

The daycare here after 1 year you aren’t allowed to being your own food.

1 Like

I have a lactose intolerant kiddo. If I have to provide the milk for her, then I will. Other than that, I’d say let it go. Kids will imitate other kids. Especially if they are girls.

I worked in daycare for years, we prefer that parents go along with our program, we can’t make exceptions for everyone or there would always be A problem!

4 Likes

As long as she’s eating, why fight it? I’d be more concerned if someone else was eating her food or if she wasn’t being fed at all. I’m an adult and I’ll pack my lunch, but if my coworkers/friends go out, I eat what they have lol it’s not that deep.

Choose your battles.

Is your kid eating? Does she go all day without anything to snack on? No? They provide that stuff… Why waste your money, time and energy on this? Definitely need to choose your battles… Doesn’t seem like this is one that needs to be fought… Now if they let her go all day without eating then that’s when I would be concerned…

1 Like

I’d save my money and let her eat what the daycare provides. This isn’t worth fighting.

1 Like

1st of all why is this a problem?? If your child is comfortable eating all the food provided then let her eat that, plus it saves you guys food for the home and more money. Why make a problem out of it if she is still being fed.

2 Likes

I uh understand the health nut thing but I would just leave it alone. Unless your child has health issues or overweight. Just let he be like the other kids and eat with them. As long as shes being fed I dont see the harm. That and most daycares dont like to give any of the children outside food, due to new children and new allergies. If it were me I wouldn’t make a big deal out of it. Plus your paying for them to feed her, sending in an extra meal is more money out of your pocket.

1 Like

Don’t be the weird parents. They want to eat like the rest of the kids lol let them

5 Likes

Are the daycare snacks healthy? If you do not prefer you child to eat what they give fight it. It’s your child and you have the right to set up her diet

Unless you can explain to a 20mt old she has to eat what you sent let her eat what they give her. They probably don’t really want to do battle with your kid every day over a snack

3 Likes

What you feed your kid matters and sets the tone for their diet & health for the rest of their lives. If you think the food they are offering isn’t good for her then I’d push the issue. Your child’s health is more important than saving money. And no I wouldn’t listening to, “at least she’s eating,” when it’s shit food.

Girl you raise your kid however you think best. Talk to the school. My daughter is in 1st grade and I still pack her lunches.

Your daughter probably feels singled out and embarrassed that the other kids eat one thing together while she eats something completely different and doesnt get what the other kids get.

Unless its candy or twinkies, I really would just leave it alone.

1 Like

Unless your child has specific food needs out allergies, it’s just not beneficial to do individualized meals for every child, especially when they can’t sit down unpack there lunch and feed themselves, it would too many extra people and to much time.

5 Likes

You can push back for now if you insist on it. But you won’t be able to control her choices once she starts school. You may as well get used to choosing your battles.

I have a two and a half year old and my son likes to eat what other kids are eating to! If u force it you might be wasting ur own food so swallow ur pride and let ur mini eat what other kids are!

2 Likes

My daughter HATES tomatoes, but if all of the other kids at the table are eating tomatoes, she would ask for them even knowing she hates them. She just wants to be included with the other kids.

And who knows, maybe they have tried giving her your snack but she refused it because she wanted to be like the other kids and eat what they eat.

1 Like

My two daughters go to daycare. My youngest has a milk allergy so I just bring her rice milk. Besides from that I have no idea why it’s an issue and you’re saving money by not having to provide any food or snacks!

3 Likes

Daycares have to follow a specific guide, menus are posted everywhere! I miss daycare cause it was one last thing I worried for.

Let the kid eat what she wants.

3 Likes

I understand if she had an allergy but licensed daycare follow a nutrition guideline set by the state. You can always request a copy from them.

I agree, she probably wants what everyone else is eating. My kid takes lunches everyday but does say she wants hot dog once in awhile.

The healthcare Shou be providing healthier food then that every day

How do they know she doesn’t have allergies? How dare they go behind your back!

3 Likes

If they are giving her the option there’s nothing that you can really hold against them. And theres no daycare knowingly gives kids bad food. Shes gunna want what everyone else - she wants to fit in. It’s not something I would stress over

1 Like

As awful as child obesity and diabetes is your choices at home should be able to bridge the gap from home to school. Daycare age children do have a tough time sitting in a room with other children eating what is provided while they’re eating something different. What is worse is if they are not eating because none of their choices are appetizing. I have two children with special needs and my daughter’s has developmental delay with her speech. Communicating her wants or needs can be a struggle. I made the teacher a lunch log that allows them to know if she has a fully packed lunch or just snacks and a drink and let them know what she would like on the menu and days that she doesn’t care for the food I pack for her. It’s about communication between parents and teachers. The most important thing is that they get the fuel they need regardless.

if she isnt picky I’d have her eat what they are offering. maybe see what the meals are for the week? you do pay for it already if you really think about it. plus it will give a little bit more time back in your schedule to do something else then to make an extra lunch everyday. less plastic ziplocs if that’s what you use too. and then you dont have to worry about making sure you remembered the lunch! stuff doesn’t always make it back when you go to pick them up either…plus its hat, glove and coat season so theres stuff you gotta already keep track of that’s gonna annoying to find and remember also! keeps an open mind to food for them also!

Let her eat . At least she is eatting something right ? . I let my son choose his breakfast and dinner most nights . As long as it’s not junk food and will fill him up im ok with it . I have a picky eatter

2 Likes

I agree I think she just wants to be like the other kids ,I’d let her eat what they are having

1 Like

Yeah ur child will eat them in front of u bit I’m sure they will want the same as the other children. My kids r the same

1 Like

Most daycares have to provide the food.

1 Like