My daughters father will not let her get her nails done: Advice?

I would talk to him about it and meet with a compromise. Shellac is not as hard on the nails as acrylic and maybe he’d be more ok with that. Lasts longer like 3-4 weeks and they can make them look beautiful with designs just like acrylic :blush:
I personally think it’s inappropriate to do something behind your child’s other parents back. Coparenting can be hard but it’s for your child and needs to be done.

I agree with dad. Let you’re children be children.

I have 3 daughters and no way would I ever take my 5th grader when she reaches that age to.do acrylic I take her to get them painted or I paint them myself

2 Likes

Really? Gonna teach her to do something behind her Dad’s back? Nope, not a good example. Have a discusion and come up with a compromise. Also might want to check to see if it could harm her natural nails as she is young.

2 Likes

Acrylics ruin nails and is expensive to up keep. It’s not a one and done thing. I won’t let my girls get acrylics or dip either and they’re 13 and 10. They get gel.

A lot of salons wont even do nails on girls that young. I personally would respect dads wishes bc eventually theres going to be a time when you’re against something and he wont respect your wishes bc of this. Let kids be kids.

After high school graduation is ok

After leaving my previous job 6 months ago, i’ve had some good luck to learn about this website which was a life-saver for me… They offer job for which people can work online from their house. My latest paycheck after working for them for 4 months was for $18798… Amazing thing about is that the only thing required is simple typing skills and access to internet…

Read all about it here… https://SmartWork32.pages.dev

I can’t believe it but I agree with him!

1 Like

What about press ons to start? To see if she can take care of them first? Acrylic is so tough on the nails

I totally get why he thinks it’s grown. Especially these days. Kids aren’t getting, short and cute little nails anymore. They’re getting ridiculous lengths & all that. Maybe ask him if she grows her nails out nicely but short, maybe she can have them dipped. It’s better for her nails as well. Maybe he’ll compromise if he feels it’ll look more age appropriate? And also just a treat. Like, not an everyday thing?

1 Like

How ridiculous acrylics for a year 5 child seriously :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

How about some age appropriate press ons? That way they’re temporary, fun and everyone is happy.

Yea the dad is right

2 Likes

Bodily autonomy is a thing. Clearly this “man” needs that explained

I don’t think nails are worth causing a riff between you and him.
I also am a cosmetologist with over a decade of experience and I would not recommend her getting them. She is too young and it could ruin her nail beds. I would do an all natural gel polish - she can still do cool designs with gel nails. I’d say acrylics would be acceptable in high school.

1 Like

What happened to dad said no. That use to be the same ss The End

1 Like

When she has a job and can pay for them is when it’s ok :roll_eyes: gel polish on her natural nails will get her something appropriate

1 Like

Absolutely not and going behind his back would he a total douche move and 100% disrespectful.

3 Likes

Acrylics can damage the nail. Why not a press on option first or just coloring the nail? Instead of getting them done. I kinda agree with your child father

1 Like

Don’t go behind his back, what will this teach your daughter? Talk to him.

2 Likes

Maybe just get a manicure and painted with a design.

3 Likes

Do the dip over her real nails.

Just obey his wishes. Don’t donit

Definitely don’t…that’s going to ruin her nails

No! That’s not good for your marriage. But I’m not a marriage counselor, so…to the subject at hand. You can compromise by getting a good manicure, her own nail kit and polishes and if she takes care of her nails, they can grow long on their own. I still remember Tonya in Jr high 40 years ago because she had the most beautiful nails. The acrylic really messes up your nails as well. The compromise could be that if she proves she can take care of her nails, she can get acrylics maybe for her next birthday?

Mmm she doesn’t have to get any type of nail to just have them painted. My daughter was 5 the first time I took my daughter. Looks super cute and just gives them joy. Why can’t he go with and get a mani

She is way way way to young if you can’t see that dear,maybe get some help understanding how it will ruin her nail beds for life. Smdh

1 Like

Would dad let her get a standard manicure?

My 4th grader does press ons. And yes I get my nails done but no acrylics on a child no. And the press ons are the child style cute and short. Maybe in highschool but at that age no her dad is right too grown. Know your limits.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t take her behind his back. All that tells her is that she doesn’t have to listen to her dad and that her mother doesn’t respect her father.

Talk to dad and come up with a compromise. Maybe take her to get a manicure and pedicure of her natural nails, with gel polish or dip powder (which is less damaging than acrylic tips). Take her to the store and let her pick out a set of press on nails and use nail glue at home to do them.

But I definitely wouldn’t go against dad. Not because dad runs the household or has the final say, but because it sends the wrong message to your daughter.

3 Likes

As everyone has mentioned, the acrylic and acrylic dips can damage her nails at that age. There’s a good chance it would also burn and be painful for her. My mother got acrylics for me before I was old enough and my nails continued to burn until she finally took me to remove them (about a week, I believe). I wouldn’t recommend it.

1 Like

I got acrylic nails at that age. Short but still. It’s nails let her do it

Honestly you shouldn’t anyways right now it’s bad for her nail beds they aren’t even strong enough yet. I explained that to my daughter. She is 13 now and we let her get dip and they all just cracked and popped off because her nail bedd weren’t ready for them.
On top of that I absolutely would Not go behind his back thatsbjust terrible. She’s in the 5th grade you’d be doing more harm than anything to everyone all around

2 Likes

Does she not paint her nails at home? If so - I’d just assure my SO that it’s just nail polish and not fake nails- perhaps he’s misinterpreted your intentions?

I would take her for a mani/pedi

1 Like

In my opinion she’s too young for acrylics that are going to mess up her natural nails. Get her some press on nails. My 15 year uses the gel backing and it lasts til she takes them off to change them.

Press ons. Nope to the acrylic. Too damaging.

2 Likes

Don’t get her acrylics behind his back.
I’ll be honest for 5th grade I agree. I’ve worn acrylics before…they weren’t long but nearly ripped my nail off :grimacing: I removed them shortly after that (I’d only done them for my wedding)
At that age I would say if she wants longer nails to let her natural nails grow out.
HOWEVER in the meantime you can take her to get a manicure without getting acrylics.

Taking her behind his back is just enforcing sneaky behaviors later down the road. It’s not a good idea to get acrylics on a child that age. Maybe just a normal nail polish

I won’t let my daughter get fake nails either because she is too young and her nails are too soft to drill on them. She does get to have them done in a salon but only paint. Her father clearly cares about her and she should respect her father that comes from you teaching her how to respect him. I pick and choose my battles and this is not the battle I’d choose.

1 Like

What’s wrong with just painting them?
Any kind of nails that are glued on, acrylic, dip powder, and gel nails are extremely damaging to the nail bed as well as the growth and strength of the natural nail. It’s not even good for us grown women nails. It is definitely not good for a 10 year old. Im with dad on this one.

2 Likes

I don’t know why ppl won’t let kids be kids… no acrylic… no press on… no painted nails… tell ur daughter she is a child n dats that… I stand with ur husband… the fact ur thinking of doing it behind his back makes me wonder…

Why let her start early to destroy her nails ? I agree with your husband. Do it behind his back you have no respect. That’s not how you co parent

2 Likes

I think 11 yrs old is too young for acrylics. I get my nails done too, I get gel extensions, and still I think you should not take her.

If she wants cool designs, let her get a manicure with regular polish or gel polish

3 Likes

My daughters father is the same way with nails and make up too. I think that is a little young as well. My kids were allowed in the 8th grade to get their nails done for graduation. My daughter wasn’t allowed to wear make up till 16. A simple manicure is fine.

1 Like

Maybe a compromise can be made no acrylics but a nice paint job :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Agree with dad, she is too young for acrylics.

4 Likes

How about some cute press on’s from DG or Walmart? Or those cute sticker things… idk what the company name is that sells them…MLM so there’s probably independent contractors all over the place!

Too young for this. Paint them nice colors if you must

I agree with dad… a child in 5th grade should not have nail extensions. Let her get a mani pedi and have her real nails painted

1 Like

I agree with him, I think 10 is too young but I have been seeing lately that these kids these days go to school with lashes full face makeup and designer clothes. Definitely don’t go behind his back but she can go with you and get gel polish and a mani, that could be a nice compromise and maybe she could do a simple design when he’s comfortable.

1 Like

I wouldn’t go behind his back that’s a decision you both should make together and imo that’s too young just take her with you and get a manicure and some polish

I’ve been a nailtech for 29 years and I will not do acrylics on anyone under 15/16. Their nail beds are too soft for it. It will ruin the nails of a child to have them done. And I don’t use a drill on any nail bed. I use a nail file and gently sand the shine off. Most nail salons use the drill and drill too far. Very damaging.

3 Likes

Don’t let her get acrylic. But she could get Gel or regular nail polish.

Do you think he’d go for just painting her fingernails? Maybe some cute designs. Acrylics damage your nails, Let alone a child’s. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I think you should. You can get them short. “Sports length”

A set of acrylic nails does seem a bit “ grown” for that age. Maybe just take her for polish and designs?

3 Likes

I guess I am not with the majority here. I got my daughter acrylics. She is going into sixth grade. She takes care of herself and is a good kid :woman_shrugging:t2:

Acrylic is not for kids. It damaged with nail and God forbid she hits it bc kids are rough af, she will be in tons of pain. Use press ons if she wants them longer

I let my girls start getting acrylics once they got to middle school!

I’m not even focusing too much on people saying it’s to “grown” I’m more worried that a kid that age would rip them clean off their fingers while playing at recess

1 Like

I would suggest just a glue on set. Target has alot for little girls

Don’t take her behind his back. He’s her parent too.

1 Like

To young. Just paint nails. Your creating a beast.

1 Like

I definitely wouldn’t go behind his back. That’s deceitful. I agree with some of these ladies and get her a mani/pedi done.

That’s way too young to get acrylics why don’t you go and take her to get them painted

1 Like

I got my 11 year old nails done. We’ve only done it twice, I don’t let her keep them done all the time. I would never go behind my husband’s back and do something like that, but if he doesn’t mind at some point, I’d do it for her.

Use the Kiss press on. They are cute

Nope! Maybe get your daughter a manicure

I take my step daughter to get her nails done. It’s our bonding time. It’s the special thing that we do together, that nobody else does with her. She started getting tips put on in 5th grade (short ones) because she couldn’t stop biting her nails. If she got the tips, she doesn’t bite them anymore. It has never hurt her and she’s always so happy.

My nail tech refuses to do acrylics on anyone 15 and under. They aren’t aware of proper care and not picking at them.

1 Like

Wrap your arms around the idea of your daughters dad wanting his little
Girl to stay a little girl. Just a bit longer. You can’t go back once they grow up. Don’t fight the “those shorts are too short” conversations. Embrace them.

3 Likes

Just paint her finger nails with cute designs…

2 Likes

Can you take her to have her own nails painted instead of fake?

1 Like

Paint her nails. She’s too young for acrylics. You wanna damage her nails that early.

2 Likes

What? No! That’s a slippery damn slope. Taking her behind his back is just teaching her not to respect him. Damn, if you think nail acrylics are more important than that, go ahead :face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Too young, just let her paint them

My daughter’s been getting her nails done for about a year now. She’s in 6th grade. Now before people come at me it’s because my daughter had a really bad habit of biting her nails and cuticles. My nail tech (who I’ve known since I was in high school and pregnant with my son) said it would help prevent her from doing that and he’s been doing her nails ever since. He keeps them at a reasonable size and shape to keep them looking more natural

Maybe he would allow her to get them painted try middle ground. Unless you want to teach her to disrespect others feelings and wishes don’t go behind his back.

5 Likes

No it is his daughter

2 Likes

I think it should end being Cristina’s intern💁🏻‍♀️

Just take her for a mani pedi. She doesn’t have to get acrylics on. She is young for that. In my opinion. But if it’s just finger nails and toenails being painted only, no harm. Or buy some polishes with the kid and let her choose some cool colors for you to paint her nails with. Make it an at home spa day with each other the day before school! Masks and all!

3 Likes

Walmart & Walgreens have nails for younger girls. Just glue on. I know adults who use them as well. Get age appropriate.

1 Like

Compromise…get a manni with polish…

Couldn’t you just take her and tell them JUST paint them with cool designs?

Let her get the varnish polish. It lasts really well and they don’t have to do anything to her natural nail bed to put it on.

I would never advise going behind dads back. Maybe compromise they have some real cute sets now a days at Walmart.

My daughter got them done for the first time on her 12th birthday. She wanted them SO bad but kept them on a total of 3 days. I wouldn’t say it’s to young but definitely don’t do it behind her dad’s back when he is saying no.

Why not compromise and just get a manicure with a cool polish or something like that. Acrylics would probably get in the way, her being in 5th grade… Unless you want to teach your daughter to go behind her father’s and YOUR back to get what she wants, dont go behind his back and do it anyway. You wouldnt appreciate it if he did that to you would you? No.

Find a common ground and work from there.

7 Likes

Just paint her nails. Doing something recreational behind the other parents back isn’t good parenting.

1 Like

Acrylics no, but a manicure I see no problem with. Nail color doesn’t really have a set age she just wants pretty nails. I’d talk to dad about it again but honestly it’s just nail polish I’d let her.

3 Likes

Never go behind your her husband’s back and undermine his authority. A united team produces excellent results. Believe me I’ve raised a gaggle of teen age girls and I’ve always stressed the value of age appropriateness. Too soon for acrylics but there are other options. Mother daughter moments are just within your reach and there will be a plethora of them. Right now she still needs guidance to those moments.
Enjoy your daughter and ,if possible, respect her father’s wishes.

4 Likes

So is he allowed to do stuff behind your back?

8 Likes

To get my 8 yr old to stop biting her nails and start practicing good hygiene— I reward her with a trip to the nail salon when I go. We get manicures and pedicures and she is allowed to pick her own polish and a design or accent. I won’t let her get acrylic or anything harmful. If she wants long nails she needs to take care of her natural nail and let them grow out. She’s done a great job and is learning to care for her own body.

I would meet him halfway and do fake ones at home. My daughter did the ones from Claire’s stores and loved them

2 Likes

You can get nail stickers that you can put on top of nail polish. That would be cute for her.

No, bc compromise between parents is important and good to model around her. Go to target they got dashing diva nail gel wraps and a curing light many designs and colors, don’t get her claws, he’s probably not wanting her to grow up too fast, have a look at those and show him then maybe his mind will change bc it wraps her nails it’s not long nails or acrylic.

No you shouldn’t do it behind his back and she is too young for acrylic nails. Let her stay young.

1 Like

Smh! Going behind your husband’s back is only goung to start issues, don’t. Just be patient don’t try and have yoyr daughter grow up so quick. Theres other more important things to worry about. You can bond in other ways. Getting her nails done isn’t a need its a want.

1 Like