My daughters sleep schedule is backwards: Advice?

HELP tired mom here and don’t know what to do. The daughters’ sleep schedule is backward. Like a vampire. Sleeps all day stays up all night due to medicine she was previously on. It’s going to bed at 6 am and waking up at 5 pm. Today she went to bed at 7 am, and I woke her up at 2. (Per pediatrician, to start decreasing the hrs slowing) . She’s falling asleep sitting up, wherever she can—not wanting to eat until later at night. I need some helpful tips please, to get things back on track!!! I’ve tried waking her up early twice before and same thing.

4 Likes

I suggest fresh air right away after the wake up. Something about it wakes the senses. This option is also a little taboo, but chocolate chips. There is just barely enough caffeine in it for us to notice but it has a huge effect on littles!

1 Like

Mine did this I had to go backwards to get a regular schedule I did bath at 8 bed 9 and ended up waking up at 7 AM but before this now schedule I went around clock till got where at and school helped also at some point I gave melatonin I was going work on 0 to 1 hr sleep and she was falling asleep at 7 am when had to get up or get calming bedtime bath

Maybe try avoiding naps depending age might help

It may be stressful but keep her up all day no matter what with maybe a small nap during the day. My mom had the same issue with me when I was young she only had to keep me up all day once and I was basically back on track with my sleep.

Age would really help but with my daughter I kept waking her up and she is an extremely heavy sleeper. No more than 90 minutes sleep between feedings during day hours(she was 3 months old). It was extremely rough for about 2 weeks and now at 5 months she typically sleeps from 8 or 9pm to 5am unless she gets super hungry at night then will take a bottle about 1am and go back to sleep. Typically before finishing the bottle

How old? If over 3 (I think), give her some melatonin around 7:30. Thats what I do everytime my kid fucks his sleep schedule. Goes right back on track, in bed knocked out before 8:30. Menlatonin for 2 nights, nothing on the third.

Might sound strange have dad flip her. Mwhen she is in her crib pick her up gently turn her head to feet gently 360 degrees. Then put her back to bed. Hubby had to do it to my first. Worked almost immediately

Our son was like this hes 3 now and has reverted back to staying up super late like 4am. We had to sleep train him. We used Zarbees sleep aid stuff its made for babies. If they are older small doses of melatonin at bedtime my dr recommended this so no negative replies thanks. We do the calming bath stuff too lavender scented bath bubbles. Try orange scented stuff could be aromatherapy or bubble bath or whatever you like in the morning to wake the kiddo.

My husband has this problem … it’s actually a disorder, delayed sleep phase disorder (DSPD). He literally cannot function during the day most of the time. He has to work night shifts…he was diagnosed with this after testing at a sleep clinic

Plan a couple of really activity filled days, like three in a row. Ho to a water park or something where she wont want to sleep!

Bath play, lots of it to keep her awake during the day.
The more you can keep her active during the day the better.

I always gave my babies a warm relaxing bath towards 7pm. Then play with her for an hour or so before bedtime .

I work nights and my daughter was going to sleep at 5-6 even 8 am. She’d be up all night and slept when I was sleeping so My husband would tire her out around 2 in the morning and give melatonin. I’d wake her up around 12 pm and have my mom pick her up so she can play with her cousins at her house. It took about a week and a half.

I’m currently going through this with my two year old up all night sleeps during day been going on for several months started out staying up late till 12 am now it’s all night tried so much stuff nothing works

I suggest fresh air right away after the wake up. Something about it wakes the senses. This option is also a little taboo, but chocolate chips. There is just barely enough caffeine in it for us to notice but it has a huge effect on littles!

1 Like

Mine did this I had to go backwards to get a regular schedule I did bath at 8 bed 9 and ended up waking up at 7 AM but before this now schedule I went around clock till got where at and school helped also at some point I gave melatonin I was going work on 0 to 1 hr sleep and she was falling asleep at 7 am when had to get up or get calming bedtime bath

It may be stressful but keep her up all day no matter what with maybe a small nap during the day. My mom had the same issue with me when I was young she only had to keep me up all day once and I was basically back on track with my sleep.

Age would really help but with my daughter I kept waking her up and she is an extremely heavy sleeper. No more than 90 minutes sleep between feedings during day hours(she was 3 months old). It was extremely rough for about 2 weeks and now at 5 months she typically sleeps from 8 or 9pm to 5am unless she gets super hungry at night then will take a bottle about 1am and go back to sleep. Typically before finishing the bottle

Might sound strange have dad flip her. Mwhen she is in her crib pick her up gently turn her head to feet gently 360 degrees. Then put her back to bed. Hubby had to do it to my first. Worked almost immediately

My husband has this problem … it’s actually a disorder, delayed sleep phase disorder (DSPD). He literally cannot function during the day most of the time. He has to work night shifts…he was diagnosed with this after testing at a sleep clinic

Bath play, lots of it to keep her awake during the day.
The more you can keep her active during the day the better.

I always gave my babies a warm relaxing bath towards 7pm. Then play with her for an hour or so before bedtime .

I work nights and my daughter was going to sleep at 5-6 even 8 am. She’d be up all night and slept when I was sleeping so My husband would tire her out around 2 in the morning and give melatonin. I’d wake her up around 12 pm and have my mom pick her up so she can play with her cousins at her house. It took about a week and a half.