My doctor wasn't happy that I didn't get a pap smear: Advice?

Hey, so I was due to have a Pap smear after I had my baby and this time I said I didn’t want to get one. My dr. Didn’t agree with me but obviously didn’t force me to get it done. She did kind of “shame” me and she just said it should be done soon and every female should get it done for preventative purposes. Also saying it’s really quick and painless …. Which I think drs should not speak like that in general but that’s for another question. I just feel like it’s a big violation of privacy if I don’t think it’s necessary. Especially when so few people find anything wrong from getting Pap smears. I feel like if I go to the doctor it should be for something thats medically necessary. Has anyone ever thought about this before?

371 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My doctor wasn't happy that I didn't get a pap smear: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

You could have cervical cancer and other things and won’t know it. That’s why they do them. It’s called early prevention…

16 Likes

Pap smears are medically necessary. That is why they are supposed to be done once a year. She is medically trained to be able to spot informalities as well test the fluids in your vagina for other issues. Pap smears are 100% necessary!

Why would you not want one? No hate just being curious.
I personally am having one yearly due to cell changes ect. A few minutes of being uncomfortable could save your life?!

7 Likes

By the time you find out you have cervical cancer without a papsmear, it’s too late. Nice knowing you. RIP

15 Likes

ITs really no big deal, and its important, that is how they find cancer.

3 Likes

Your body your choice. Don’t do it if it makes you uncomfortable.

Don’t worry about those who are against you not doing it, they’re living in fear.

12 Likes

Idkk…it’s pretty important to get one done…

3 Likes

Me personally, while I hate getting them, do view them as beneficial. While yes, they most often come back normal, there’s the few occasions in which they catch a problem. I would rather go through a couple minutes of discomfort every couple of years to make sure that I don’t have something like cancer, then avoid it altogether because I don’t think it’s necessary.

7 Likes

Do it. It could save your life.

2 Likes

Idk I never second guessed it the doctor told me I needed one after giving birth so I did it. I’m not a doctor so I just listened to their advice assuming they know more than I do.

1 Like

I usually decline them and hear the same things from my doctor but I’m just kinda like alright cool lol brush it off not that serious if you don’t want it you don’t want it

It could save your life

1 Like

1 in 3 has hpv and can trigger cancer that could be prevented by just getting a Pap smear. But if you believe it’s useless and you don’t want to that’s it you don’t want to it’s up to you at the end of the day!

2 Likes

Umm… its preventative measures. It’s also free… the whole point is to make sure you don’t have or get cancer. They keep the results in your record so that if one day you have cervical changes they know it’s not normal. I will never understand why people do not take advantage of preventative Healthcare. :woman_facepalming:t2:

5 Likes

God forbid your Dr is practicing preventative medicine. You’ll think differently if you’re ever diagnosed with end stage cancer because you didn’t think it was necessary.

2 Likes

I personally don’t find it a big deal. My doctor is usually real quick about it and I go once year for him to check, make sure I’m ok and he gives me enough birth control for the year. Says see ya next year: If I want the birth control my offices requires me to do a yearly pap.

You can die within a year

They a very medically necessary, and your dr wasn’t shaming you, they were letting you know their concern with you refusing a test.

3 Likes

I don’t like them either. I’m not certain how old you are or if that matters but recently, at 42, I had one come back an abnormal reading. After all these years, I got an abnormal reading. At one point, I, too convinced myself it was unnecessary. I am glad I get them regularly though I don’t like them.

1 Like

You just had a baby come out of you and you’re worried about your privacy when this is a post partum measure. There could have been issues come about during healing that should be checked.

2 Likes

There’s a whole lot of reasons to get them, it’s medically necessary to get one especially after having a child, just to check up and make sure everything is okay. After child birth they’re checking for abnormal cells that’s left over that can cause a pretty nasty infection. You should definitely get one!

6 Likes

You are an idiotic fool if you don’t see the necessity here…

3 Likes

It’s a cancer screening that can save your life. It’s not only necessary, it’s crucial. I applaud your doctor for sticking up for your health over your feelings.

33 Likes

Paps are apart of preventative medicine; it is TOTALLY your choice to not get one, however. NOW, there’s a big difference between a provider trying to shame a pt into doin somthing and providing pt education in order to ensure the pt can make a fully informed decision.

2 Likes

I never get mine right after baby. I don’t need anybody else down there messing with me. However, it is important you get one the same year you had baby at least. But never let a doctor shame you and always advocate your rights :heart:

I will always get Pap smears yearly. You just never know when you could potentially have precancerous cells or cancer. In my opinion it’s silly to not get one. It’s simple to get done.

I mean, if you have cancer and it’s caught early you have a greater chance of survival. By the time you “feel” something is wrong, it’s generally too late. It’s called “preventative medicine” for a reason.

6 Likes

This is a necessary procedure. MANY women find early stages of cancer and precancerous issues that can be resolved. Your doctor pushed because this is so important to women’s health.

8 Likes

It’s 100% a good.idea

I haven’t had one in 10 years. I always felt so dirty afterwards so I don’t get them done anymore

1 Like

I’m sure your medical degree as to what is and is not medically necessary… oh wait… I’m really trying to think of a “nice” way to word something, but I can’t.
Just be quiet.
And here’s to hoping you take your child’s health more seriously with preventative measures than your own

16 Likes

They’re extremely important

2 Likes

A Pap smear is absolutely necessary in womens health. It’s not an invasion of privacy at all. Just bc u don’t know ur having a problem doesn’t mean u don’t have one. It could legit save ur life. I’m so confused why this is an issue.

3 Likes

Pap smears are medically necessary. Most gynecological cancers don’t show symptoms until they’re advanced, which is why they do Pap smears for early intervention.

15 Likes

Preventative care is a medical necessity. I remember my first one after my first child was born. It was uncomfortable, weird and I felt violated but had I not gotten it done I’d have never known that I had abnormal results. Thankfully it wasn’t cancer and was treated promptly but it scared me enough to where I took getting my needed exams seriously. I can’t tell you what to do with your body but I will tell you that as a mother, we have a responsibility to keep ourselves healthy for our little ones.

3 Likes

I would just to be sure.
And if you’re firm on your decision then it’s your choice… just don’t go trying to sue the doctor if you end up with ovarian cancer … bc a pap smeare would have warned you

2 Likes

It’s your body …… Your choice …. RIGHT ???

Not medically necessary? Wow, the :brain: on this one. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

How can you say “few people find anything wrong from pap smears”? I’m not sure how you know this.

1 Like

Because I listened to my doc they were able to find cervical cancer. Luckily early enough before it did serious damage.

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:
Gtfo

Your doctor ADVISED you to get a recommended exam, for your own health.
Get over yourself😂 sensitive ass shit

It’s to detect hpv which leads to cancer or cancer itself. The dr was just doing their job, and making sure you are healthy! No harm intended.

Paps are necessary to detect and help prevent gynecological cancers. To say that it isn’t necessary is just ridiculous.

They are very important. Every year for three years and If all comes back good on all three test you should be tested every three years unless you feel like you should get one between them. I personally go every year because I have ocd and like knowing that I’m okay .

As someone who was diagnosed with cervical cancer at 30 years old FROM MY PAP SMEAR. I think you’re being absolutely naive and ridiculous. They expect you to get it for YOUR health. What benefit do they get from you getting one? Kinda need to grow up with the whole violation of privacy view.

15 Likes

I totally understand where your coming from … iv just received a letter to make an appointment for a smear test . Because I "“feel fine” I ignore it… but honestly it could save your life. Its not the case of better late than never … inlost my mum 10 years this june . She put it off for so long. .iv actually booked my test today for next week x
Have another think about it x

:roll_eyes: Are you an antivaxxer too?

2 Likes

You realize they’re saying to do it because if yheu didn’t you could turn around and sue them for malpractice, right?

It’s very much a necessity…like having a mammogram. Uncomfortable for 2 minutes but can save your life.

You won’t know somethings medically necessary if you don’t get checked.

Most of the time, if you drive while not wearing your seat belt, you’ll get to where you’re going safely.
So go ahead, dont wear that seat belt.

I hope she noted that she advised you in case something goes wrong, so she can’t be blamed

Is this a joke?
There’s no nice way to say how incredibly unintelligent you are.

3 Likes

I found out I had Cancer through a Pap Smear. I, like you, refused them for many years. I regret it immensely. Thank God I was able to have surgery to remove it all. Think real good about the decision you are making.

1 Like

100%should have them done. Lost my brother to colon cancer may 2019 and had he done the appropriate scans they would have caught it sooner. By the time they found it he was already stage 4 . I def promote getting scans and testing done to prevent another person from catching it too late.

1 Like

I like to get one done every few years because you never know if and when you will get cancer but like yah you do you

I had cancer and had to have total hysterectomy at the age of 30 so yes it is VERY MUCH IMPORTANT

3 Likes

If I didn’t get regular pap smears I would have never known I had cervical cancer in my early 20s. I definitely am glad I decided to do the uncomfortable things and take care of my body. Ultimately it’s your body and your choice, but I think you’re taking an unnecessary risk.

25 Likes

Pap smears are medically necessary though. I think the recommendation is every 3 years if there have been no other issues, at least in the US.

1 Like

I’m not sure where you’re finding your statistics. Pap smears are very useful in detecting diseases that left untreated and show no symptoms can be life-threatening

2 Likes

My cousin waited didnt want it either. She just got done with 12 weeks of chemo an radiation treatments. Cervical cancer. It’s not a joke get it done. You have kids you want to be around for.

8 Likes

You can do as you please but I agree with the dr. Pap smears are necessary.

2 Likes

Totally necessary… saved my reproductive system with early detection. :raised_hands:

2 Likes

A pap smear is absolutely necessary and they’ll push anything they believe is something that all should definitely do. A pap smear will be the only way you find issues you didn’t know you had. Not all diseases or issues have symptoms. Cancer in the cervix has no signs.

Not to mention it is quick, painless, and simple.

It’s better to not have anything and know it, than to die in a week from something you could have cured a year ago.

If you don’t wanna do it, fine, but do your research before complaining.

1 Like

I would think you would want to make sure your vagina is healthy just like the rest of your body. But ur body ur choices

You women of child bearing age get screened for abnormal paps all the time. They also check your ovaries at that time for Ovarian cancer.

Everyday women your age are diagnosed with cancer. Some live. Some don’t.

My cousin was diagnosed with ovarian cancer with no family history.

You have children who need their mommy.

I know it sucks.

BUT DO IT FOR YOUR CHILDREN. THEY NEED YOU MOMMA.

1 Like

To each is own, but I think it’s very important to get a pap smear after giving birth. It will detect abnormal cell changes in your cervix.

3 Likes

Always your body your choice!
They are so important tho, health wise. It does feel Kinda violating but just remind yourself it’s not what it feels like. It’s to make sure you are good.

Damn I did at age 25 caught cervical cancer just starting. Hand biopsy then laser of the first few layers . 2years after haveing my daughter. I get them every couple years to be sure I’m still good

Pap smears are a must cause it’s preventive care and I get them done every year or every 2 years and I also get the breast exam too and my blood taken and have the blood panel done just to check everything

None of us go in there excited about the procedure, but we as women know that it’s necessary. I go every 3 years. At the end of the day, it’s your choice, but know the pros and cons at least.

It is quick and painless. You don’t think it’s medically necessary? Right. Would you say that if you got one that came back showing you had cervical cancer?? No, it’s not medically necessary :roll_eyes: also, you have a baby and you’re concerned about a “violation of privacy”…

1 Like

What does it hurt I would get it done it’s for your safety what’s a 5 min check to the rest of your life???

3 Likes

Your statement that so few people find anything wrong with pap smears just proves how uneducated and uninformed you are and how right your Dr was to encourage you to get it done.

19 Likes

A Pap test can save your life but ok :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Personally I have 3 friends that have had precancerous cells detected and treated and 1 that detected early stage cervical cancer. Pap Smears are extremely important. My Dr says now every 3 years (unless abnormal pap previously). Please don’t be one of those people looking back, in stage 4 cervical cancer saying “I wish I’d have listened to my Dr!”

That’s like saying you don’t need to go to the dentist if your teeth aren’t rotting out. It’s for preventive care and diagnostic testing. It’s your Dr’s job to give you medical care and education on the importance of screening.

Pap smears are screening for cervical cancer! Every woman should get them! Otherwise cervical cancer can go undetected until it’s much too late. If you had bothered to listen to your doctor I’m sure she told you that, and you can also research it yourself. Of course it’s not “pleasant” but it could save your life.

She is correct it should be done for prevention. A pap smear isn’t a bad thing.

My friend found out she had cancer via a pap smear. Wouldn’t you want to know if anything was wrong? Please stop having children.

Getting my pap smear saved my life a year ago… they found cancer and it was caught early enough… I suggest you listen to your doctor!

I don’t know anyone who has ever had a pap smear as postpartum care. I actually rarely go for one because I have never had one come back anything other than negative and I really don’t like that they rub my cervix with that swab hard enough to draw blood when I have had it done in the past. They try to shame me all the time and I tell them what in my records for past tests indicates at all that I need to have one? They say oh it’s preventative - ok and I’m preventing you from making my cervix bleed and making me uncomfortable for several days and unable to have sex with my partner because of this stupid test.

My daughter didn’t get her’s done because she had no insurance and died of Ovarian Cancer at age 50. Get it done it is important…your babies need you to be here.

1 Like

I would rather get a Pap smear “for no reason”, than not get one and possibly live my life with cervical cancer until it’s too late.

I’m still here today because of a Pap smear. So glad I do them!!

My midwife said that paps really aren’t necessary unless you have a reason to worry, otherwise every few years is okay.

Oh mama they’re definitely necessary…

I mean, screening for cervical cancer seems pretty important to me :woman_shrugging:t2:

Pap smears are important, about two months ago I had a hysterectomy. I’ve had many abnormal paps come back. My cervix was severely covered in pre cancerous cells. I have another pap in 6 months to make sure nothing spread ill take a few mins of violation of it means I’m healthy.

2 Likes

Are you kidding right now? This can not be a legit question…?

I haven’t had one in 8 years. After a bad experience after the birth of my son 8 years ago I’ve been traumatized about it. I need to get one done but every time i make the appointment i cancel it.:neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face: pap smears are needed i know that but my anxiety and PTSD make it difficult​:cry::cry:

2 Likes

The reason why few people find anything wrong from going to a PAP Smear is cause they actually go for it to make sure there os nothing wrong!!

You saying it’s a “Violation of your privacy” but it actually isn’t! It’s what can either save your life or break your life!

I’ve lost 2 friends to cervical cancer that spread like wild fire in their bodies and when they found out it was to late.

1 Like

Your body, your choice I guess
However, pap smears are definitely important and should be done. Also they are quick and painless lol

1 Like

Gurl, get your pap. You’re going to be asking a different question when you get cervical cancer.

1 Like

I mean …. It can only save your life. THATS not considered medically necessary to you? You’re a special kind of stupid. Sorry not sorry.

1 Like

So Important… It is preventative care… .

Get one. My momma sadly never went to the doctor to get her pap smear and got diagnosed with cervical cancer years later after she felt real sick. If she would have gone for her regular check ups they would have caught the cancer sooner and it wouldn’t be so advanced. She regrets it now. I hate getting pap smears too but it’s for our own good. It’s a quick process too. It’s not like the doctors are in there for hours searching for gold. They’re checking for cancers or any other type of disease our coochies can get :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make them drink it smh.

I don’t like to have them and haven’t since b4 I was pregnant with my youngest. I feel that mammograms are more important but I’ve yet to go have another one of those as well. I have no medical insurance so it means I have to be neglected of care that I know I need.