My ex wants to sign his rights away: How does this work?

Where i am from if he signs his rights away and no one is there to adopt them the judge will say no, but like say if u were married now and ur new husband wanted to then usually they let you. Also in some instances he can have his rights terminated but will still be financially responsible.

1 Like

I went to the courthouse with him. We saw a lawyer. He signed custody fully to me. Done and done! All less than an hour.
If he’s willing just take him with you. Saves the need for any messy, past BS and gets it done fast.

It’s a sad situation, I’m sorry you’re going through this. A parent can sign away their rights but they will still be financially responsible for the child. The benefit to you is while they are financially responsible for child support, half medical, school, and all other activities, they are only giving up theirs right to make any decisions for the child, from school, religion, activities, to medical. I would contact an attorney before you sign anything to make sure it is done in a fair manner to your child.

It won’t get him out of child support unless you’re married and your spouse is going to adopt the child. He can sign off rights, but not child support.

It does not let him out of child support unless someone else is there to financially pick that up.

Since he lives in Mexico I’d contact an attorney. If he wants no contact I’d say no problem but if he wants to sign his rights away that means he wants out of his financial responsibilities and that is NOT RIGHT to your children! They don’t deserve that!! He doesn’t have to have contact in order to still have to pay child support! See an attorney ASAP!!!

Definitely ditch his last name. Worst thing for the kid is to have the name of someone who doesn’t want contact with them and have to carry the name around forever

4 Likes

“My wife and I” bitch please, y’all been together maybe 2 years, all I can say is karma repeats itself :eyes:

2 Likes

So you can either fight him for the support and risk having you child go back and forth or sign the rights away in my opinion do the rights thing sounds like it would be easier on the children in the long run! Things could get very messy if you go the child support route

What if the dad has never been on the birth certificate. Has never met my daughter and literally have received $100 from him in almost 2 years. He abandoned me when I was pregnant. Literally put me on a train back to my home state and then broke up with me when I was supposed to be going back to we’re we lived. I decided to stay here instead. Struggled through homelessness while I was pregnant and for a couple months after she was born too. I want nothing to do with him and want him to have nothing to do with MY daughter. Sorry for the piggy back! Lol

1 Like

I’d speak to a lawyer. Since it’s across two countries, it could be a messy situation.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s his decision and if you sign those right away they will loose half their identity! And no he can’t just sign them away because he wants too! It would be cheaper if you go to court and file for full custody of the kids stating that he is not in their life and you need to have your children be able to have a passport and school! That would be better for him! He is not just going to change their life’s with his last name!

Since he lives in Mexico she probably isn’t receiving any child support from him. Its probably hard to enforce that being that he’s in a different country!?!

It’s probably the new baby momma telling him to sign his rights away. Tell him no. & if he’s doing it because of child support that doesn’t always get them out of child support. Give it time, when she leaves he’ll regret it.

I know in PA you can sign your rights away but still have to pay child support unless said child/children are adopted

You can’t “bastardize” a child therefore he can sign his rights over to you but his name will remain on the birth certificate unless someone else is there to put their name on there. Him signing his rights over just states he has no legal rights to the child(ren).

1 Like

Does he pay child support, I would say no if he does, If not, I would tell him, it’s in your hands to do it. You shouldn’t have to pay for a lawyer. Let him.

I don’t know much about this, but I’d definitely be giving my kids my name and taking his off.

My ex sent me surrender papers notarized and signed by him. I took them to the courthouse and had my husband adopt my boys. I got the surrender papers from him in April. They were adopted by August

1 Like

Yes, you need a lawyer. No, he will not be removed from the birth certificates. Last names remain the same unless a different court proceeding grants permission which will come with a heavy fee. You will no longer have any ties to him so there would be no support. But as mentioned, you no longer would need to share with him or ask him for anything.

I’m amazed at how many in this thread are obsessed with getting child support. Pretty sickening!!

Not always does it relive him from child support but what’s best for the child if he dont want to be a part of his or her life let him sign over his rights and let him move along

My daughters lawyer has done all the work for her. Her ex is a piece of crap and doesn’t want to pay child support. Good riddance to him and his last name! Her new husband is going to adopt him.

My ex said the same for our kids and this is prob dependent on state but I called the court house and asked and I was told he cant. I literally have to find someone, be married at least a year and THEN he can sign his rights to the husband who would be able to legally adopt them

You need a lawyer. We went thru this.

2 Likes

You’ll need a lawyer. If he’s not in their lives now, Leave it alone. If you take it to a lawyer/court you’re opening a book that’ll take forever to close :woman_shrugging:t3: It’s not that easy as just signing them off & changing a name. There’s so much more to it.

4 Likes

:thinking: this was posted before? Technically you can’t unless you can prove he is completely unfit and have someone who will adopt them in place of the bio parent. But this is in my state. Get a lawyer and see what they say. A consultation is usually free.

8 Likes

I feel like this was just posted :thinking:

4 Likes

I’m not sure how to go about it but get it done fast so if something happens to you suddenly they don’t go to him that that homewrecking skank. Get a lawyer and make a will at the same time to ensure the kids would go to someone they know.

You can’t. I wonder if that’s my ex cuz that also happened to me. In Texas, a man cannot bastardize his child, if so all men not wanting to pay support would cut ties. You need to be married to have your spouse adopt the baby.

2 Likes

Since he is in Mexico I think it would be a different situation. you need to get an attorney and get their advice

1. Go on google and search up family lawyers.
  2. Call and tell them about your situation.
  3. Choose one that understands & communicates with you thoroughly.
  4. Do/listen to what they suggest is best for your situation.
  5. I understand you may want to ask FB for advice or to see if someone can relate but at the end of the day everyone’s situation is different and only professionals/the right people can help.
7 Likes

Totally proves he doesn’t care. Contact a lawyer for sure! In Kentucky parents can’t sign over rights. Judge makes that decision. Every state is different. In Kentucky you can change the child’s last name as long as both parents agree.

3 Likes

I’m also wondering about my daughter’s bio dad. He hasn’t seen her or attempted in over 3 years. Can I petition for his rights to be terminated on abandonment?

1 Like

I do not know if it would be a good idea for you to allow him to sign away his rights. Lithium being in Mexico and him sign away his rights that may free him up paying child support. As far as I am concerned the only way a male if it’s gone away his rights and not pay child support is when another man stepped up to the plate and adopts the child. That amounts to if you want to play in the playground you got to pay for the maintenance.

1 Like

Most states dont allow you to bastardize a child. Particularly if theres any sort of state assistance involved anywhere. Figure that out first thru the local library.

1 Like

Get a lawyer… Please don’t ask people on Facebook …

3 Likes

Get a lawyer…look up the laws on what you can do

Make him pay for child support, it’s either now or later. He’s got to be responsible for his child.

Most judges won’t (even if you’re willing and he is) unless there’s someone to step up in his place. They won’t ‘bastardize’ a child. If they did, you’d have parents doing it/trying to do it left and right to get out of child support. It’s also a way to keep even more people from needing government assistance.

4 Likes

He still has to pay child support.

Typically a parent cannot sign off his rights. The only way to get him off of birth certificate and zero rights is for your children to be legally adopted. I’m this case the birth father can “sign off his rights”.

He can’t just sign his rights over. Most states and i would look it up in your state you need to have another man ready to adopt in order for him to sign away his rights

1 Like

You can change the kids name to your maiden last name any time you want to, as long as you are not married and still carry your maiden name. You can also take him to court for abandonment. That will give you the chance to ask for his parental rights to be taken. I think his name remains on the birth certificate though. I did this with my sons father, but I never replaced my sons birth certificate.

this again? this was posted another day…

1 Like

Also I would not just let him give up that easy. I know it would be less stressful but he needs to man up. My ex tried that and j said absolutely not even though my husband was willing to adopt. He is morally and legally responsible for his children he can’t just punk out. Take him for child support

1 Like

just write him a letter stating i so and so and signing over my rights to the move of my child blah blah blah have him sign the letter as well as having it notarized then take that to couet

Go to the court house, self help and ask to be pointed in the right direction. They will tell you what you can and cannot do, according to the state you live in

With him being in Mexico an attorney Might be able to file abandonment

2 Likes

He can only do this is there is another father to adopt him.
Sidenote: does he not realize hoe much of a BITCH he looks like? Wtf MAN disowns his boy?

Really cheque it out for your support will be gone I’m sure and if some sickness happens to the children he would not have to contribute I would go to the court house just to enquir

You’ll need to talk to a lawyer. My cousin’s ex wife had his parental rights terminated. She had plenty of proof of his absence in their lives. I’m not sure if he had to sign anything or not. This was in Georgia though.

I know all I need to know about the loser by him just bailing on his kids ! Yes you and the kids are better off without him however he owes you/them financial support and don’t let him get off that easy !! Good luck and I’ll include you in my prayers and please contact an attorney in your state , it’s usually free to do so!!

Girl I was in a similar situation. Give your state Attorney General’s office a call and let them know you are petitioning for child support. LET HIM SIGN OVER HIS RIGHTS. He is the legal father. He is NOT signing away child support. He’s only signing away his rights for visitation, medical records, etc. let him do it! And change your children’s last name to yours. They are young enough now that they won’t really understand why and it won’t make a difference. I’m with you 100% mama! You got this! But please do remember to call your state AGO and file child support on his ass. Let him sign away his rights for visitation and he will still have to pay you child support. And set it up with your AGO that he will pay through them (the state) and if he is delinquent enough on payments, he will have his DL suspended, not be able to register his vehicle and when it comes tax time, the IRS will give you whatever money you are owed out of his taxes if he is failing to make payments.

5 Likes

I just attempted to do the exact thing you’re questioning. The county attorney told my attorney that’s a case I wont win. The county attorney said they dont just terminate parental rights because you dont like the babydaddy or he is a deadbeat. You cant just terminate rights because he hasnt seen the kid or called etc. The county attorney said to terminate his rights CPS would petition the courts and they would only do that if there is previous abuse charges documented by CPS. well in my case, there isnt any abuse charges on the father against my son. Also, my sons dad lives in south Carolina and I live in KY. That doesnt matter to them either.

1 Like

You need a lawyer…not FB. That being said, get the lawyer to draw up papers giving you 100% custody and all legal and medical decision making rights, including passports. Get that signed and then you can change your kids names to whatever you want, but I don’t believe you can remove him from their birth certificates. Also, as many have said, he can’t sign away his “rights” by bastardizing his children unless there is another spouse or partner willing to adopt the kids and assume responsibility. There is usually a distinct legal difference between losing parental rights (such as visitation and decision making) and getting financial responsibility terminated. One does not lead to the other. He can have no rights to visitation or decision making and still be responsible for child support.

Side note: can I have my baby daddy sign off his rights if he is a felon? And was abusive?

Costs money need a lawyer

Again??? This was posted the other day…

2 Likes

You can not remove him from birth certificate and no she can not change there last Name to her maiden whenever she feels like it.w hen someones rights are signed away you get paper documents but certificate stays the same

This is so sad all I hear is child support! _$$$ it seems no body is thinking about kids relationship with there father’s these days.

2 Likes

Why he’s financially responsible for those children

1 Like

He’s doing that so he doesn’t have to pay for them

4 Likes

I wouldnt let him. file for full legal and physical custody and then you wont need letters from him for nothing and file for child support

4 Likes

Make him pay for your parenting plan modification and make it so you have 99% and he has 1% giving you full control of all decision-making

1 Like

If he wants to sign them over, let him do the leg work. Wait for the paperwork in the mail, I bet you’ll never get it. Dont do him any more favors than you already have.

1 Like

What a complete asshole
Those poor babies having a deadbeat like that I’m. So sorry you have to deal with this. Get a lawyer asap and get rid of him
When the kids are older and they ask you can show them the paper trail this is so so sad but sounds like they are better off without him
His new family is clearly more important and his wife what a bitch she should be encouraging their relationship what a bunch of selfish Muppet’s

Actually no let him file for it all tell him of that’s what he wants to go for it

Personally I would not allow termination. I would seek soul legal and physical custody. You won’t need his permission for passports or anything else. You also can still seek child support as you didn’t make them on your own.
If you choose to release him of responsibility and allow termination of rights. Personally o would scrub away his existence and change their names as well. If they are not being adopted a new birth certificate will reflect the changes after you provide court order to the issuance office.

1 Like

He should be taking responsibility for his kids financially even if he isn’t going to be there physically and he has a legal obligation to do so since he is on the birth certificate.

All these people talking about dont let him do it… it’s his responsibility… no I dont see it that way… kids are a privilege you get when you financially and emotionally and physically take care of the child… he doesnt want to do it then I say yes he shouldnt get the privilege of calling them his children… he deserves nothing when it comes to them.

2 Likes

In TX a man can “just sign his rights over” in front of a judge. Or loss his rights if it has been over 6 months of no contact and mom files paperwork with courthouse.

Let him sign over his rights . He’ll regret it later .

I live in Texas but looked Into it here. I went to the county courthouse website and printed them off. All you have to do it sign them, pay the filing and court fees and get them signed by the dad and judge. Here they have a form you can fill out at the courthouse that waives the fees if you cant afford it. We didnt go thru with it but if he agrees, it should be too hard

Nope don’t do it??? Take his a** to court for child support if he made another child he can support he can support your children …

Well duh he doesn’t care!!! That’s absolutely the truth! What an ass …those kids are better off without him!

I’m not sure if it’s the same in the US as Canada but in Canada if they sign their right over they no longer have to pay child support but it goes thru a judge my advice is ask a lawyer what to do and how to get it started if it goes well you will have to get new birth certificates again this what I kno about Canadian laws an stuff

That way he don’t have to pay you child suport