My Family Had to Move Into a Motel and My Kids' Grandparents Are Threatening to Call CPS Because of It: Should I Be Worried?

Women and kids live in shelters and their kids never get taken away, so why would they take them for living in a hotel? Its scary but i truly would not worry.

If they call you in and you aren’t doing anything wrong then you have nothing to fear. Maybe it’s better they call, they investigate and then close the case. Then your grandparents can’t hold anything over your head. My friends have been involved a few times so I know if you’re not neglecting them , etc you’re fine.

5 Likes

As long as they have a place to sleep are well fed and clean, they won’t do anything other than maybe help find a place to live that can work for you all

7 Likes

There is NOTHING the grand parents can do. You and your husband are making sacrifices, for your children, and that is GREAT. STOP talking to your grand parents.

Maybe the CPS can help you rent a home . They might have funds to help you and your husband rent a place . Your children need a place to call home . There’s no way you can save any money to rent you a place , while paying for room there in a hotel .

I know here in CA they cannot take your kids just for being homeless. I know a guy that rode the bus all night with his daughter cuz he couldn’t afford a place. She was fed, clothed and taken care of and they let him keep his daughter. So even living on the streets with your kids is not enough of a reason here to remove kids from parents

2 Likes

If your parents say that your taking drugs CPS will drug test you. My daughters ex boyfriend called on my daughter. She never did drugs but they tested her everytine he called because they must act on every call. Thats until they saw his pattern. Make sure you stay positive and focus on your children, not your parents. The less drama the better off you’ll be. If they continue to harass you get an order of protection. The less your kids know the better off they’ll be. Wishing you the best of luck!!

1 Like

It also depends on what social worker you get assigned to your case. Some can lie and are believed by the court just because they are a social worker.

2 Likes

We all do the best we can. Your children are being taken care of and you know they are safe cps will not do anything. Maybe its time to take a break from your parents

CPS won’t do anything. You have a roof over their heads, food and clothes. They are being taken care of no matter where you live.

Dcfs won’t take the children unless there is a threat to the kid’s life. Living in a hotel is not a life threatening thing.
You can threaten harassment charged

Record any conversations with these people. So if they threaten you again it’s on tape.

3 Likes

I would quit telling the grandparents what is going on.

2 Likes

I can only image how much you are paying for a hotel.
I am soo sorry.
I hope you can save some money for first and last on a apartment

1 Like

I’d tell them we moved hotels then cut contact because toxic is still toxic. They should want to help in that situation not make it worse and cps will make it worse and possible split the family.

6 Likes

Not unless you are neglecting them. Just because you’re in a hotel don’t mean you aren’t providing for them

2 Likes

Unless the kids are being abused they won’t take the kids. As far as the grandparents don’t tell them anything if they wanna be that way.

Also, if your husband is the father of the kids, and you are married, normally grandparents don’t have rights… So you all actually have all the power and say about the kids.

Why did you have to move into a hotel?

1 Like

I don’t think so as long as the kid’s are being taken care .

You won’t have any issues with your arrangement do not let it stress you

Like someone else said, if y’all are married, the grandparents have zero rights to do anything.

CPS CANNOT take yr kids because yr homeless

What is the big deal. We had friends that lived in a hotel. At least you by ave a roof over your head.

Keep ur business private…
Call them and tell them you are now moving to another state and give them no other info …
They can only do something if they find probable cause…

4 Likes

As long as they have a bed to sleep in and food in the room, there is no reason for CPS to have concerns.

I would cut ties all together and give them no info

2 Likes

No cps shouldn’t do anything about it if you both don’t do drugs and are taking good care of your children. Hope everything goes better for your family. Shame on grandparents

2 Likes

cps won’t do anything if they see no signs of abuse.

1 Like

Why are you in a hotel? Did you get evicted from your previous home? Did you just move from one city to another? Are you having financial problems? CPS will look at all factors. Are you eligible for Section 8 housing? They might help you find more permanent homes

2 Likes

Dump the negative parents! Get away and stay away! Cut them out so your, spouse and the kids don’t have to listen to it! They seem to think they would be better with the kids! What your family wants to do matters most! Be strong and firm! As long as the children are in good shape, eating foods you eat, clothing and living in a safe situation like you they cant do anything to touch those kids! It’s sad but cut all ties! Negative people breed negative actions! If they love those kids like they claim they would be helping and not hurting! If you are a good parent and making a better way for the family you have no reason to worry! Get with DCS as soon as you can! They need to know you are having problems with family and the threats! They may can back them off! Save anything they send you! Texts! It doesn’t matter where you live as long as you live like the child! Good luck!

Let her call. As long as the kids are clean the room is clean they have food and no signs of abuse let her call. Then I would file a protection order against her/them for harassment so they can’t see or contact any of you

Praying for you and your family.

1 Like

CPS is not going to take your children as long as they have a safe place to sleep, food, education and medical care. Just make sure all the kids have a blanket and a pallet and a pillow. You’re going to be fine

2 Likes

A lot of the hotels down here that arent touristy are filled with entire familes. One place my parents were staying was nothing except for families, a lot with tiny kids and never less than 3 or 4 of them.

They cant do anything. Tho if there anything like some of the ones here they could offer more support and help yas a bit. The kids are safe, in fact some social workers put families in hotels until they can be housed and there’s no family hostels available

1 Like

They cant do anything to yall they can not take the kids the cps office will tell them straight there is running water electric food clothes shoes bed and all

1 Like

If they really cared they’d offer to take you all in till you can properly get back on your feet
On the flip CPS may not necessarily be a bad thing as they have resources we do t and actually may be able to help
Good Luck

4 Likes

I lived in a hotel with my parents because our house burned and they didn’t have anything available for us to move into. So, they can’t do anything.

If its a temporary situation, and youre working towards a home. CPS cant do anything. Your grandparents have no need to call if those kids are properly cared for.

2 Likes

Lived in a hotel for 6 weeks with our kids after our pipes burst. No problems at all.

Let them call CPS will help you get what you need to get out of there unless you are bad parents they do everything to help you

Also get an air mattress or something for you daughter and let your husband sleep in the bed with you. There is nothing wrong with a make shift bed for a kid. When she isn’t using it push it under one of the other beds.

3 Likes

In my experience, as long as it’s temporary and there is no harm. There isn’t anything CPS will do. If it would make you feel better you could call CPS yourself and ask them about it. They do anonymous calls. I’ve gotten a lot of answers that way because family sucks.

1 Like

Cut them off, block their number, stop communicating. CPS would not take your kids. You’re not living in your car.

If y’all are clean from drugs, no abuse happening, ECT. Then cps can’t do a thing about it.

1 Like

Let them call CPS. As long as the kids have a roof over their head and food you’ll be ok

1 Like

Ask the hotel for a rollaway bed. They do have those. That way the boys have their own bed and your daughter had her own bed and you guys have your own bed. And as stated as above if you’ve got food, water, clean clothes no drug use yall should be golden. Beings your in a hotel there will be electricity and water so there’s that.

1 Like

Think I’d cut them out of my life for awhile. Yes, move and don’t tell them your business, they are abusive control freaks.
Threatening to call CPS is a very serious, scary unwarranted threat to make! How cruel.

5 Likes

Roof… Clothing…food… Nope no issue

3 Likes

Stop talking to them stop playing the kids go anywhere with them or over there stop all everything if your kids are taking care of and not being abused and you have food water and shelter there is nothing they can do move away from them stop all communication point blank pack up and leave and move away block everything problem solved

Go to a new hotel, change your number, and stop telling them your business :woman_shrugging:t4: additionally dial 211 for social services support. If that number doesn’t work in your area, try 311 and tell them you need social services support. All the best.

4 Likes

Beat them too the punch… reach out to cps about finding affordable housing :slightly_smiling_face: they offer a lot more services than just DSS

1 Like

Stand firm and assure them that the moment they make that call ur your going to cut them off

Is this something just because of the current situation can you guys afford to get an apartment but either way you still got a decent size hotel I just don’t know why you would want to pay that much a month

I was in a hotel for a week with 4 kids I was also at grandparents for months friends for months now we own our home tell them to fuck off you will be where you need to be soon as possible time heals everything

I feel like there has to be more to this story. Why would you live in a hotel if you both have jobs? Children need a place to call home. And for them to have to say that they live in a hotel doesn’t quite cut it. That isn’t a home. I feel bad for these babies.

I wouldn’t think CPS would do anything besides maybe follow up on the call, I work for a county, and if I make a report of “abuse or neglect “ there’s a screening process they do to determine if it’s something they need to move forward with, my first thought is, is this just a temp thing (mold issue, remodel job, etc) or are you homeless?

Man I’d tell them to mind their own business. Keep screen shots of messages and if CPS does get involved, let them know that the person who called is trying to be very controlling of you. All they want is control. Y’all are adults, and they need to realize that

If anyone even threatened to call CPS on me they wouldn’t see my kids anymore at all. I would cut off all contact.

I have a very close relative who works for CPS. If your grandparents file false charges (saying that the children aren’t being taken care of and that they’re in danger) then they can actually have charges pressed against them. If CPS is called then they will question you and the kids and if they don’t see anything wrong, which I’m sure they wouldn’t, then you don’t worry about your babies being taken away.

Personally, I’d either stop talking to the grandparents all together about the kids and living arrangements and end phone calls regarding them and I would keep all calls and/or text messages between you and your grandparents or have your husband record their calls and then file a police report on harassment just in case.

1 Like

Tell the grand parents to back off

They cant do anythin the cps willnt take ur kids away fm u at all I think the grandparents r bein abit unfair 2wards u all as a family so ppl just dont care if anythin the grandparents might get in trouble by sayin they have ur kids when they dont I wudnt worry 2 much honestly I am a grandparent myself nd I wudnt do anythin like this 2 my kids or grandchildren all the best 2 u all x

I agree with everyone saying 1. If you’re not neglecting or abusing your kids, CPS will not remove them and 2. Definitely limit contact with these grandparents. They don’t respect you as parents, therefore they don’t respect or deserve time with your children. You’re in charge here. A roof is just a roof.

There is nothing CPS will do!!! Don’t worry! It’s not illegal to live in a hotel. The grandparents should be ashamed of themselves and show more support not try for cause your family heartbreak! God bless!

I would put grand parents and sister in a distance dumpster until the nonsense they’re spewing starts to make sense to them. They care so much, they need to ask you and your husband what can they do to help make things easier if you even made any reference of any struggling in regards to the kids. Stop telling them everything too.

That’s not anyone’s business

We lived in a camper, at a campground for around 2 or 3 months a few years ago. We were technically deemed homeless in this state. However, there was nothing dcf could do being we had shelter, food, n bathing facilities…n yes we were threatened with this. No worries mama