My family is very opinionated on what I am doing in my home...advice?

What do you do or how do you take family members opinions when they feel very strongly against something you’re doing and they make sure to voice their opinions every time the subject is brought up? For example we are in the process of switching my son into the smaller of the two bedrooms upstairs in our rental because we are moving our toddler into the bigger room with full intentions of putting our baby we are currently due with in our toddlers room with her once this baby is a year to a year in a half depending on how they are sleeping. Our toddler is currently still in mine and my husband’s room so we thought it would be way easier to switch the rooms now so in a year or year in a half we don’t have to do another room swap and so our toddler just gets used to the room she will be in rather than getting used to one room for a short time and switch her into another room again. I’m told it’s unfair to even switch and that the baby and our toddler can share the smaller room because my son is older and deserves to keep the space he has. My husband and I have made up our minds and know this isn’t permanent because we do plan to start building our house in the next 2-3 years but gosh my family sure likes to make us feel like we are the worst parents for even considering the room switch and make it seem like we are favoring the younger kids by giving them the bigger room.

11 Likes

I’d ask them which one of my bills they are paying this month. I pay the bills. While I appreciate an opinion when I ask for it I don’t appreciate someone trying to force me to do what they think is best for me and my household. There’s a reason they are so comfortable with this behavior and I’m willing to be it’s because you let them get away with it. Put your foot down. It’s not their business

1 Like

Your home, your rules. Enforce it.

If they dont pay your bills then they need to stay out of it. I would tell my family to stay in their lane and lay down some rules for them

3 Likes

Id tell your family to mind their own business. It’s your decision, not theirs. Id personally just make sure to go all out with decorating his “new” room and then he will be so excited about it, he won’t even care at all that it’s smaller.

Whichever children are sharing, should have the bigger room. It just makes sense.

Typically, two children have more stuff than one child.

If it’s mentioned again, I would be polite but firm and tell them that it is your home, they are your children and you will do what you feel is best for your home and your children. End of discussion.

Repeat as needed, each time it’s mentioned.

5 Likes

Is it your home n your kids! Do what you want!

Stop playing! Sweetie, some part of you feel like it’s wrong as well because if not, you wouldn’t even be telling us about it in such detail. You’re wrong in a way… maybe not wrong, but a bit unfair especially being that the baby isn’t here yet and you said yourself that the baby won’t go in that room til a year + old. How old is the older child? Another question, does the first child biologically belong to your husband? I’m very curious about that :eyes:

Secondly, again, you said you are going to wait until the new baby is a year + old to even move that child into the big room with the toddler. Girl, that’s way more than enough time for the toddler to make the switch at that time and get use too the room or even being in the smaller room. EXACTLY how SMALL is this room and how old is the older child? Idk… it just seems like it’s more to this story…almost kind of seem like there may have already been some questions raised on favoritism from your family….:bangbang:

1 Like

I wouldn’t even talk about any of this with them. And they aren’t paying the bills so they have no say in it. If they bug you about it I’d say well we are doing it this way so oh well.

I’m often amazed that married people feel like they have to tell parents/family every move they’re making. If you’re sharing everything you do, expect unwanted advice. Everyone knows that.
Keep your home life more private.

12 Likes

I’d be telling my family to mind their business considering it’s non of theirs :confused: and I also think it’s a great idea because obviously the 2 children sharing would have the bigger room that’s generally how it goes, I don’t get how your family don’t understand that

4 Likes

Who cares what others think. It’s your home,your family. You take care of your family. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’d straight ask them why they feel the need to mention their opinion on it more than once?
If they’re that obsessive then in my experience they just don’t like you and are being picky and obnoxious because of it.

1 Like

Your family your house your prerogative… tell them that until they birth and raise your children it isn’t up to them where they sleep. And not to bring it up again or else they can expect to see less of your family. …

Stop sharing info with them. Maybe they’ll stop being so opinionated & get the hint.

1 Like

Your home your choices! Unless they are paying your bills their opinions do not matter. You know what works for your family , I mean unless they are willing to buy you bigger home do they can all have seperate bedrooms. Just my opinion

2 Likes

Tell them it’s your home and your children and they don’t have to like it but they need to keep their noses out of your business

You don’t have to attend every argument you’re invited to. “We’re hopeful it works.” Should be enough.

1 Like

In my opinion, you and your husband are right. There will be two in a larger room,that means more stuff. Your little guy will be just fine with a smaller room. Tell your family it’s your decision and not theirs.

1 Like

stop telling them every move you make.

Tell them unless they are feeding you, financing you, or effing you…their opinions dont mean squat and arent needed nor wanted

Be a broken record whenever they bring it up. “We are happy with our decision and there will be no more discussion.” Change the subject but repeat as often as necessary. If there’s repeated boundary hopping, “You’ve raised your kids, now let us raise ours.” Change the subject or repeat ad nauseam until they get the message.

And this concerns them how?

Its your house, they are your kids. Who cares what anyone else thinks or says.

Id do the same, 2 kids in the bigger room seem to make more sense… I can’t stand when a parent tells me what to do, like no, these are my kids

1 Like

Ttell them if they are so bothered on what gos on in your home they can pay the bills

Lol. They need to get a life. Why would you judge someone’s room setup lmao. That’s pretty sad.

1 Like

Your family is right. The oldest kid deserves the bigger bedroom. A toddler and infant don’t take up or need as much space

2 Likes

Who cares !!! I do not even understand why you have the need to even tell them what you are doing at your house

1 Like

When making family decisions you close of anyone else that objects.

I’d be more worried about putting my child upstairs then switching and sharing rooms

If it gets brought up again I’d say “Is it your kids? No. Do you pay bills here? No. Then stop bringing it up period, it’s none of your business what I do in MY home.” End of story. I’d do the same thing with having 2 kids in one room I’d give the bigger room to them since there is 2 of them and not just one. That’s twice the stuff! I know your son is older and I get that but he’s ONE child not 2. He has way less stuff than 2 kids would.

Tell them that unless they are paying your bills they don’t get a say in what goes in your house

1 Like

Your kids your house. Not theirs

Your family sound like morons. It doesn’t make sense to have 2 children in a smaller room :woman_facepalming:t2:

Do you live with them? If you don’t, it’s your house and you’re starting your own family. It’s time to make family decisions with the family you created inside the home…

Tell everyone to shush it and keep their opinions to themselves and if they can’t then they can take their toxic behavior somewhere else .

The sharing kids always get the bigger room. Isn’t that a rule? It was in our house.

I went LC with family because of unwanted opinions as well as them telling me what is going on in my home like they live here and trying to order me around in my own home- orders such as kick my dog outside, don’t buy pretzels because it’s a misuse of money, ect. No one has the right to have an opinion on your home but you and your husband.

Tell them it’s none of their business

Your home your choice
Screw what the family wants