My fiance's kids were adopted by their grandmother: Can we fight this?

If he was not on the birth certificate, then they would have listed him on the state’s putative father registry when they came into custody. There is a time period (it differs by state) that the father can come forward & make a claim for the kids. Even given this time period, most states require a check of the putative father registry up until the date of the adoption. If he had registered, it would have slowed the process until they could show that he did or did not have the ability (and would not within a reasonable amount of time/effort) to raise the children himself. I agree that the situation needs more facts to understand but the grandparents stepped up & are loving on the children & presumably doing their best to raise them. I agree with reaching out to the children’s current parents but respect their desire for no contact with the children if that is what they wish. Inconsistent contact & fighting is not good for the children & only serves to confuse them & make daily life harder for everyone. Work to develop a positive, strong relationship with the grandparents & explain the confusion you both feel about what occurred before you try to contact the children.

2 Likes

How refreshing to hear that a father actually wants their children. Normally we hear the opposite. My advise is to fight for the children. Make sure you have as much proof regarding his ability to take care of them, that they would be raised in a stable home and that they are loved by him and you. The best of luck to your fiance and you!

2 Likes

Going through an stepparent adoption now. A case would have been filed and I don’t know how many times I’ve had to have my ex served through this process. So my question is, why was your fiancé not served about the adoption hearing? Of course it depends on the state but most states require the parent to be notified of the hearing, not a ton of states will willingly terminate rights without a proper hearing. So as stated by someone else there is some facts not being stated. There must have been some very substantial grounds against the father for the adoption to have taken place.

4 Likes

I would say NO before any adoption they have to have the parents sign off losing their parental rights. So he would have signed his rights away there is changing that. If they are in a stable home please let them there .

1 Like

Praying that his children are back to their daddy and you. Praying that it is the right decision :pray::pray::pray::pray:

2 Likes

It’s not good to just go and try to up root kids. Maybe the grand mother would let y’all see the kids on her terms. And never ever try to undermine her. If ysll ever have an issue with how anything is done or not done you should make time to speak with her with out the kids. Never let it turn into an argument or make her feel ganged up on. My grand lived with me until she was 9. There never was any court involved. I needed her As much as she needed me. I still miss her terribly everyday. But her father has a stable home for her and spends a lot of time with her and she is very happy. There is no love loss between he and I , but we have a united front for the sole reason of protecting her. And we don’t try to manipulate her or talk bad about the other. It would just hurt her.

1 Like

In the state I used to live inparents after 6 months but we waited 2 years before we adopted our grandchildren

Yes, you can fight them on it. Attorneys will give you more information.

I wouldn’t… Maybe he signed his rights away or something… But he was gone long enough for him not to notice until now. I would try to set up visitation rights or etc but don’t rip them away from their grandparents…

6 Likes

They have to make a reasonable attempt to find the biological father unless his name was not put on the birth certificate.

The State must have enough grounds to terminate his rights or he gave them up.

2 Likes

If he signed over his legal rights to those kids not sure if anything can be done but, if he didn’t I won’t see how the grandparents could legally adopt them without his consent. Definately contact a lawyer for advice.

1 Like

Definitely more to the story.

Sounds like your fiancé was deemed unfit or signed away his rights.

2 Likes

I want to thank raja cause his testimonies made me to discover Dr.goko. I was amazed by their testimonies about Dr.goko because I am equally passing through the same problem. I contacted Dr.goko via email; (Dr.gokospellhome12@gmail. com) and he replied me and demanded for information. He then caste the love spells for me and brought back my ex at the exact day that he promised. He is a powerful and kind man; he gave me advice even when I lost hope that I can?t get back my ex via WhatsApp +2349064938931)

If CPS and CS is involved then it’s likely they terminated his rights prior to the adoption. If he wasn’t paying child support and had zero contact with the kids that is considered abandonment in most states (6months to a year).

He likely was served with several notices that he either ignored or just flat out didn’t respond to.

The first time he is served, he has to consent or contest to the adoption, if he didn’t respond then whoever is terminating his rights has to serve him again with the orders to move forward since he didn’t respond, and if he ignores that, then he is served with a notice that he has ANOTHER 4 weeks to respond and the grandmother would have had to post in the news paper for 4 consecutive weeks. And then the adoption has a 90 day period where he can contest. Unless the judge put in the papers that he couldn’t because he neglected all of the above. He did get notified. He probably saw who it was from and threw the papers away without reading them.

Leave the kids be. It’s about what’s best for THEM. And not what YOU and your fiancé want. He had been an absent father this long, don’t try to damage those kids because you both are being selfish.

4 Likes