My fiances sister doesn't approve of our engagement: Advice?

Well considering you have never met them. I would say the same thing. Absolutely would I ! You don’t even know him at 9 months. Your still getting to know each other.

Hey now. You did nothing wrong. And you said so yourself, he doesn’t live anywhere near her. So I’d say that she’s made her first impression. It’s up to her to change how she looks in your eyes. Just be the best person you can be. Yourself. Throw her negative energy over your shoulder like a scrap. :woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

My sister in laws were supportive but definitely told us to wait we didn’t 7 yrs together married now

I met a guy and got married pretty soon after. (We were young young lol ). Never met his family. But they supported it.

Our marriage was probably my shortest relationship :joy:

Let the fam be salty. Let them be sweet. At the end of the day it depends on the dude.

However, if you’re serious, do what I didn’t and reach out to the family and create a type of relationship with them prior so your nerves are calmer for when you do meet.

Just be you. She’s probably just being protective of her brother, doesn’t mean it’s necessarily a dig at you. Just remember they haven’t met you yet and some people view getting engaged only after 9 months as being too soon. Go, meet them don’t be nervous and show them why he loves you. I’m sure she will warm up to you

Yah well hee brother proposed to someone they don’t know after 9 months . It’s not personal she’s just looking out for her brother.

Perhaps it wasn’t you specifically that she didn’t agree with, but her brother’s decision to marry. She has known him a lot longer than you have.

Sounds like he may have issues in the past moving way to fast similar to your guys engagement… without meeting the family/spouse first id probably not accept it either.

Without any other details or knowing your ages, she is probably worried because the relationship seems to moving rather quickly. Nine months is not really long enough in my opinion to get married. How long were you dating exclusively before the engagement. Unless you are going to have a long, long, did I say, looooooong engagement, I would be worried for my brother also.

Her comment was towards him for not letting them meet you yet. Imagine finding out online this important information -shocking.

Met and married my husband in two weeks. I had a one year old son that was a shock to his family but I was the lucky one. BEST thing I ever did

Ignore her…when you meet her…just be kind…

I don’t think it was meant towards you in a personal way. I think it’s more shock because they haven’t met u yet? Just a thought

1 Like

In laws…ugh. My mil and sil both HATED me from day one. I’ve always been respectful and bit my tongue more times than I could ever count and they have both been downright rude to me. We got engaged a week n half after meeting and obviously they weren’t happy, which I expected cuz it was fast, but they always refused to give me a chance. We got pregnant 2 years later. We showed mil our first ultrasound pic and what did she say? “Poor kid” and handed the pic back. I swear, in laws are the worst!!! Hopefully ur soon to be sil is just concerned since u all haven’t met yet. And warms up to the idea once u all meet in person. She was probably surprised and thinking u guys would of all met before he proposed so all of a sudden finding out about the engagement was probably a shock. Could of been a joking kind of comment too. Like when ur so surprised about something even if it’s good, u might say 'nuh uh, no way, u didn’t!" Things like that

She probably felt that way BECAUSE she has yet to meet you…I wouldn’t take it to heart

1 Like

If you haven’t met his family you don’t know the exact way she meant the comment just because of how it reads.
They might talk to each other “aggressively” or in “sarcastic tones” but for outsiders it could be taken negatively. Because if I commented on my besties page “Bitch, no you didn’t!” That doesn’t mean I don’t approve, it would mean how you gonna tell the world before me? But her family may not take it that way because they don’t talk to each other like that. I personally know lots of people who grew up in one type of environment but do not necessarily portray that until they are around that environment. People who grew up in families that curse at each other and sound argumentative, but they aren’t considered disrespectful because that’s just them, but to an outsider they are always fighting and mean to each other. Don’t read into it until you meet them. Because you’ll be offended by everything trying to find transgressions and ruin it for yourself and your fiancé. You could be the end to your own engagement rather than his family. Take it with a grain if salt until you know the real deal.

Truth be told. I should have listened to my exes sister even he proposed and she was like. “Wow!” And was saying that it was a mistake and that I better learn who he was… 3 years later I FINALLY did see him for who he was and left him.

Maybe she was just upset that everyone found out on Facebook and not told in person.

2 Likes

Go on the post and say " yes, yes he did, and I said YES!"

Lets turn it around and look at you, you said yes before you met his family so how do you know your not marrying in to a box of yo-yo’s, theres gonna be suspense in a blindside matchup

you dont even know someone by 9 months, are you serious…
i would say the same thing.
like grow up.

I would be upset my brother marrying someone I have never met but so would he.i dont believe it was directed at you I’m sure she will love you.

Raven Streeter My response when any of the boys get engaged :joy::skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

What you do is marry the man and live a long and happy life together.

You’re not marrying her. She doesn’t know you. You’re marrying him. He knows you.

Don’t worry about what anyone else has to say!

Maybe it has nothing to do with you and everything to do with him not communicating with his family, and their shock and surprise at this engagement

1 Like

I probably would have had to ask what was wrong right there on the post.
But also for all you know it could be directed at him. Maybe he’s done this with past girlfriends and she’s tired of seeing fake engagements from him.

I don’t think it was anything personal. She just was surprised. Don’t read too much into it. Kill them with kindness when you meet them, and they will fall in love with you. They will absolutely see why he proposed after they meet you.

I honestly believe you need 4 full seasons to get to know someone. Hell with the sister in law… she’s an ass… but google him and do your research… don’t go in love blind…

You shouldn’t have to do anything here. Your should at the very least man should put his sister in her place and delete her comment.

I think your taking it the wrong way. I took it that she is sooo surprised that he got engaged. Like he never would. Don’t be nervous. I bet they can’t wait to see you :two_hearts:

1 Like

Kill them with kindness. Smile and show them why he’s in love with you. They’ll come around.

Tell her to kick rocks!!!
If she’s not happy for her brother then she doesn’t need to be a regular part of y’all’s life. :slight_smile:
Don’t stress. It’s not worth it.

if him n his sister are very close she could be doing it since she doesn’t know you n y’all ain’t ever met.
My brother had a engagement ring for his now wife for over a year until I met her and all while I was there he proposed.
I would never tell my brother know cause I was taught not your bed not your problem.
but my brother wanted me approval before he asked her

Don’t let anyone steal your sparkle !!

I think that she was just upset that he got engaged to someone his family has never met before. I 100% agree with the people saying to kill her with kindness. Just meet them and be yourself. Hopefully by the end of your trip she eats her words and everything is fine. You can’t control other people, you can only control how you react to those people. She seems like she was reacting to him and not you… She chose to react poorly but that doesn’t mean you have to. Keep your chin up and be true to who you are. That’s all you can do. Congrats on the engagement! Enjoy it! Be happy! Spread that happiness! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

You definitely need to meet his family before you marry him. Even if you guys live far away from them it’s still his family and the apple never falls far from the tree. You need to find out about his family how they are and what tradition in the family. No matter what it’s his family and he will always take up for them. So be sure to keep eyes open

Meet her and be authentic. It may take her some time to warm up to the idea and to you. Just enjoy your man and be happy. Let time tell but for now don’t worry about it. Enjoy the engagement

Sounds more like a shocked reaction than a negative one :woman_shrugging:

If I had never met my brothers girlfriend before he proposed, I’d be shocked too.

Brush up on your bitch moves and let her have it if she starts in. If you don’t stand up for yourself now, it will always be a nightmare when you are around her.

Ignore it. She has the right to say whatever just like you do. As long as she is not bringing it to your property/personal space. Now if she does that, put her in her damn place. Other than that, just ignore it. You don’t have the right to control her feelings and what she says. Remember, if you want your feelings to be taken as valid then you must do the same for others

Could it have been that she was just shocked she didn’t know because its her brother?

Take a breath and don’t be so sensitive. She’s never met you; the comment was directed towards her brother, which just happens to be your fiance. I’d be pissed off if my brother popped the question to a girl I haven’t met and to be clear, I wouldn’t be pissed at you; I’d be pissed at him. HUGE difference.

Maybe ask her what she ment by her comment maybe it was just shock but you won’t know unless u ask

She don’t have to like you or even approve :woman_shrugging: family is family and they are gonna tell who they like and don’t like just get over it and it’s only been 9 months. I would say something to if my brothers did this like no. You haven’t even met his family smh

1 Like

Rise above this situation. You do not have to prove anything to them! Enjoy your engagement

She can mind her own business

unpopular opinion-who cares what she says?! do what makes you and your fiance happy :blush:

F×ck the betch :rofl::rofl: she ain’t marrying him :rofl:

Nah jokes , all seriousness , she’s just shocked … if it was any other lady it most probably would be the same reaction :sweat_smile:

First say no to a proposal 9 months in and never having met his family then go from there. Like actually getting to know this person?

Sarcasm? If not don’t go for Christmas.

When you meet them keep your head held up high and be yourself!! Don’t let them know you are nervous! You are marrying your fiancé not them!!!

1 Like

Call her and get to know her let her know you and see what her problem is

I totally understand how you feel. I’d just be yourself as hard as that would be reading her comment. That was incredibly rude of her. At least meet them and give them a chance to know you. Maybe she was upset he got engaged after 9 months and she hasn’t even met you? I am SO not excusing her comment - that should have been in private with her brother.

I don’t like the chick my brother is with, refuse to have anything to do with her or allow my younger children to be around her. But that’s my brothers life and I have no say so in his personal relationships. Same goes for him and the rest of my family with my personal relationships. I don’t need nor want anyone’s approval in who I date and their disapproval has no effect whatsoever.
So it comes down to do you really want/need their approval?
But that also means his fam will never be on your side.

I think the proposal was quick and the family probably expected to at least meet you before then. They’re probably shocked.
I am quite close with my brother and I would be shocked to hear if he got engaged quickly, to someone I hadn’t met yet.
Don’t take it personally, although maybe she should have said her words privately, she’s probably just in shock. Wait until you meet them and see what happens. They’ll either love you or hate you, and from experience, staying with someone whose family hates you, is more trouble than it is worth.

Who the fuck cares what she thinks!!!

How many times does this have to be revisited?!? It’s YOUR life! Exclamation point! End of story! End of discussion! Stop living for others!!!

As she hasn’t met you yet
It was more probably aimed at your brother
For not letting him know he was with anyone much yet proposing to you
I’m sure his whole family would have been hurt by seeing it on Facebook
Considering
His family have never met you
Can I ask why you got engaged and planning a wedding after 6 months of getting with for 9 months

If he talked to her ask him why she acted that way. Bc if she never met u than she needs to stay in her own land

Just ignore it. I’m sure she’s surprised it happened quickly. I’m sure nothing against you. And they haven’t met you. Hopefully this isn’t something he’s done often.

Why would he not have you meet his family before popping the question? thats weird

That comment does not automatically mean disapproval… You might be overreacting…

Maybe he’s not the “settling down type” and she knows it!?:woman_shrugging:

I wouldn’t approve of it either. Y’all haven’t even been dating for a year yet. :roll_eyes: and you never even met his family. Personally I think you should br dating a little longer and get to know him better and his family. Live with him first for a year why are you guys trying to rush into this? Did he even meet your family yet?

Did you ask him why his sister responded like that

If you haven’t spoken to her you don’t know why she made the comment. Did he swear he’s never get married as kids? Did he get married previously? Did he end an engagement before he met you? Don’t sit and stew on it until Christmas or you’ll take that same energy in and it’ll be miserable! You don’t know the context behind her statement and it could have nothing to do with you! Likely it doesn’t have anything to do with you so before you go starting a family field talk the girl openly without being in your feelings and see what the story is :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Family should have heard before Facebook

My husbands family hated me for a long time….idk why though…now we all get along great and they have all told me if we split they are keeping me.

Maybe she commented that because none of his family knows you and it’s only been 9 months. Seems a bit rushed.

You can’t expect everyone to care about your feelings, if you do, you’re going to be hurt A LOT. If y’all are happy then it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks.

1 Like

Don’t take it to heart walk in there Christmas Day with confidence! You don’t need there approval she is just being petty! Be the bigger person and the good thing is you don’t have to see them that often

1 Like

I hope he deleted her comment and called her. This is where your fiance NEEDS to speak up and put her in her place. It is his job to establish firm and clear boundaries with his family.

If my brother proposed after only 9 months to someone none of us had even met yet…I’d comment the same thing tbh

I think if he is really young it would be more that than you.

Sounds to me like she was saying “really? I had no idea!” Surprise, not opposition.

Tell her to keep her nose out of it. As you don’t say anything about her partner

Comment, “Yes, yes he did and no it’s not a joke.” Is there a problem?

Sounds like a red flag. Maybe he has purposed to every girl he has been with.

9 months is WAY too quick