My friend makes excuses when I want to hang out...advice?

Really looking for some advice on this. I have a friend that has a kid we have been friends since the kids were 1 plus we were always really good friends and always hung out. Fast forward she moved an hour away but yet I still see her post things about visiting out here time in time again but yet doesn’t even care to talk to me much unless I say something first or ask to meet up when she’s out here. She continues to talk when I bring up conversations and is nice should I ask why or even say anything at all? I’ve done so much for this friend over the years it’s quite upsetting and people freaking take for granted. What would you do? I’m scared to ask but i also want to know why, side note she also visits other friends out here so not sure why not me. I have invited her over or asked to hang out next time she’s out here but I always get oh I don’t feel good or okay but it never happens. Would you just give up since she moved away? Just wanted a little advice, thank you

12 Likes

Maybe you go visit her, and take her out to lunch.

3 Likes

Sounds like you are her friend but she may not be yours.

Family job. Responsibilities

2 Likes

Sometimes we out grow what brought us together.

1 Like

That person has lost interest in you. It is harsh and hard to.accept but its best to.open your eyes to the rejection over and over u can remain media friends just come to.terms that is their choice.

It happens to the best of us! Life can get crazy for all of us & a lot of times we have some things going on that are overwhelming our minds & we don’t want to talk. It could be that she has intention to call or meet, but life gets in the way. Send her an occasional message to check on her, but leave the ball in her court otherwise

4 Likes

Find a new friend! Nothing u can do !

1 Like

I would X them outa my life and move on

2 Likes

Close that chapter and move on. Stop contact with her and live your life. People come and go those who are to stay will stay. It’s not always easy but stop thinking of how much you have done for people and just know you are kind hearted and be more careful who you help in your future

Id probs try make new friends in my area

1 Like

Talk to her…ask. You’ll feel better, even if it doesn’t end well at least you’ll know amd stop driving yourself mad thinking about it

1 Like

I moved an hour away and people always ask why didn’t you stop in when they hear we came back to town for something. I don’t have the time to visit everyone that we miss every time we are out that way. Usually if we are out there it’s for a reason. + 2 hours in the car makes for a long day. Don’t take it personally.

6 Likes

Offer to go where they are to visit. Offer maybe a few times check and see what times are best for them…
But if she has excuses for that too then just stop.
And it isn’t even worth saying something bc they’ll turn it around on you and not take accountability or own up to it.

1 Like

At this point, I wouldn’t even bother. If she really wants to see you she will.

21 Likes

If someone wants to see you they will

5 Likes

If someone wants to see u they’ll make some time to see u. No matter who they are to u. Mom dad brother friend don’t matter.

7 Likes

Don’t put energy into friends that don’t put energy into you. Ur trying to hard to be her friend and she’s not caring… I don’t even mean that rude :sweat_smile:

Give up, don’t stress over it. Move on. She has told you exactly what HER priorities are, and how far down on the list you are. Just don’t be so readily available next time she NEEDS something…be busy, tired, or not feeling well.

1 Like

Why bother ? Just find new friends

Why not just ask her if something happened, I tend to be a direct person, so ask her and good or bad you will at least have an answer and willnot be wondering what happened.

I had a “friend” like this. We knew each other since we were 13. She moved an hour and a half away and the only time we hung out is if I drove to her. Meanwhile I was low income and she was making $35/hour. Then I had a baby. She told me if I wanted her to see him I’d pack up him, all his stuff for the day, formula, bottles etc and drive to see her. He’s turning 7 and she’s saw him 3x in his life. I had a second baby who just turned 2. She’s never seen him. Her mom literally lives one street over so I know she’s always here visiting. She always always had an excuse not to stop by when she was one city over. So I dropped her. Can’t be bothered anymore. I was the drop everything and come friend and she couldn’t even schedule in 5 minutes to swing by when she was here. :woman_shrugging: some people just suck.

You guys drifted apart. This happened to me n my friend. She moved 2 hours away and last year until this Christmas she didn’t speak at me at all. I sent her daughter a water bottle to give to her mom from me. I sent her a message saying I hope she liked it. We’re talking again but not very much. I do have a wall up now cause if my bff can just up and leave (talking wise) after 13 years how can I trust others now and her not talking to me despite me reaching out numerous maybe a hundred times has put a fracture in our friendship. I’m now scared to say things because I worry she’ll just up and leave again. Like she was my rock my bff I treated her kids like my own kids like I gave birth to them so never special treatment amongst the kids so when she did that it destroyed me more than two dv relationships my sons father abandoning him n me n hurt almost like losing my dad again.

Try reaching out and see but if she doesn’t respond I would leave the door open but don’t say anything n put her profile on silent for you don’t see the posts.

I know I didn’t give up but if it happens again I definitely will shut the door permanently as hard as it will be but I cannot handle that type of pain again.

I had a friend exactly like that. Here is the harsh truth I learned, if someone wants to be in your life they will. Otherwise stop waiting around for someone who doesn’t value you as you value them. It took my brother passing away for me to see the ugly in my "friends ".

My “best friend” of 18 years switched up on me outta no where simply bc I had moved into a home 3x the size of where I was living and had another baby making it 4 kids, plus 6 dogs & I wasn’t able to talk to her on the phone as much anymore. THAT was all it took for her to decide she was gonna start getting short & sh!tty with me and would do the same thing, I’d ask to make plans and she would either immediately give an excuse OR she would be like okay that’s cool and then blow me off. The final straw for me was my last baby and my ONLY son, I planned his birthday 2 months ahead of time to be sure everyone would have plenty of time to come, she rsvp’d they’re coming and we discussed it numerous times. Literally 2 weeks before it, she PLANS A WEEKEND VACATION and blew off my son’s birthday. She’s married to my brother in law so it also took HIM away from coming. But we never did that to them or their kids. It took this friendship ending for me to truly see the whole 18 years for what it was and honestly I was always a best friend but I never truly had one in return. She was narcissistic and competitive and jealous. I didn’t see it during the friendship bc she was very good at manipulating people and situations to always make it like she’s not a bad person or not in the wrong. But being able to take out my “love” for her and pay attention, I realized I never lost anyone. She lost ME. And I will never look back after that.

7 Likes

Just give up. Save yourself the angst and find new friends. Join a choir.

I see you say “I did so much for this friend” I’ve heard alot of people say that, and it might be true, but then they use that as “better than thou”. You cone off as uppity and needy. Sounds like your friend moved on to greener pastures

She obviously doesn’t want to be friends for some reason