My Friend Ripped Me Off, What Should I Do?

This question was submitted to our community via our Facebook page and/or our Answers forum. Responses are also taken from the community. If you have your own parenting or relationship question you would like answers to, submit on Facebook or Answers.

QUESTION:

"I have a friend we’ve been friends for 10 years I purchased a something from her that was worth a pretty penny and it turned out to be fake she claims she didn’t know but that she would pay me back it’s been a few months now is it okay for me to bother for the money back? I’m not struggling for the cash I just feel ripped off and like I gave my hard earned cash away. Looking for advice"

RELATED: I Saved Money For A School Trip But My Parents Say I Am Selfish For Not Sharing With My Siblings

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

The following top answers have been selected by a moderator from hundreds of responses to the original question.

"Ask her when she thinks she will be in a good place financially to give you the money back, that’s way she knows you are expecting it and give that you are willing to work it out at a good time for her since y’all are good friends, and she didn’t know."

"Okay so if she’s completely ignoring you maybe she did it on purpose and she wasn’t a true friend or maybe she really didn’t know and is embarrassed and doesn’t have a way to pay you back right now. Your best bet is to have a real talk with her to find out which one it is though if she’s been your friends for 10 years and this is the first time your questioning her on honesty or whatever maybe you should give her the benefit of the doubt and just straight up ask her the questions you need answers to and if it is that she truly didn’t know and doesn’t have a way to pay you back immediately then work a payment plan out with her. And go from there if she then proceeds to not even attempt to make things right then you have to decide to either cut your loses or if the moneys really that important to you take her to civil court. But at the end you have to decide if it worth the time and effort of pursuing as for the friendship if she doesn’t make it right weather you decided to keep somewhat of a friendship or not it mostly likely will never be the same as you will always question her intentions unfortunately."

"If you have been friends 10 years do you feel she would rip you off intentionally if it was a genuine mistake and your not in desperate need for the money maybe wait it out good friendship is worth more than money"

"When she said she would pay you back what did you say?? Did you tell her not to worry about it to be “polite” or did you both agree that she’d give you the money back. If she offered and you told her not to worry about it, I definitely wouldn’t ask for it now. She may have known or she may not have. A lot of people are shitty but that doesn’t mean everyone is automatically out to get you."

"Just ask her again for the money! If you’re really friends then if shouldn’t be a big deal. It’s not worth ending a real friendship. If you’re just acquaintances or you don’t know her very well, that is a different thing. But definitely ask again! People get busy with life, she may have put it out of her mind or forgotten."

"Honestly I’d let it go. She probably was needing some money and felt like it would help her and now she probably can’t pay you back. Maybe try talking to her about the situation I wouldn’t think to much into it though."

"If you both agreed she’d pay you back, you’re absolutely allowed to politely ask if there’s any timeline for getting the money back. I’ve paid a close friend back in small payments a few times because I’ve been broke but I’m not just never going to pay her back if I agreed to do so. If she offered and you told her she didn’t need to and no real promise was made, I’d just drop it. Regardless of which direction the money goes, it may be time to look at the friendship and figure out if you believe she really did just make a mistake or if something seems off and she did it on purpose."

"Maybe she truly didn’t know girl. Y'all have been friends for 10 years. Has she ever been shady or used you. If not just chop it up as a mistake. Don’t mess up a long friendship over a silly mistake. Money comes and goes. She offered to give you your money back. Then ask her."

"If it’s been a few months, it wouldn’t be bad to go ahead and ask, see if she may have the money. Sounds like you don’t believe that she didn’t know it was a fake."

"How did you discover it was fake? If you did not know it when you first purchased it why are you assuming she knew it selling it? Maybe she bought it as real and sold it as real? With out knowing what you bought its hard to judge. It she said she said she would pay you back you are not out of line asking again and asking her when she can do so."

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW: