My friends child broke my childs toy: Advice?

Replace it.
If you don’t want it broken or played with put it away before company goes over. My daughter 3.5 knows if she doesn’t want something played with put it away before she has people over.

5 Likes

Let it go. He’s 3 Ffs. next time put stuff away you don’t want others to touch and potentially break

5 Likes

If the kid broke it after breaking told not to play “rough” then she needs to pay you back. Yes they are toys, but they still need to watch their kids

1 Like

It depends, my friends son pissed in my daughters electric car once, and now it doesn’t make noises or play music we don’t speak now

1 Like

Dont have playdates with small kids then…or simply put the toys away before the others come…shit I work hard too and my 4 boys break their stuff and mine its life things break

You have to ask yourself is that worth a friendship loss accidents happen

If you didn’t want it broke shouldn’t have let them play with it… it’d be rude for you to ask HER to pay for something when you could have put it up if it was that important…

4 Likes

This is why we have no one over we have too much expensive stuff

1 Like

My boys are 11yo and 3.5yo and they know if they don’t want it broken or stolen then they put it up and out of sight when others come over!! So that way others can’t touch it. If my boys put the toy away ie in their rooms and the kid still gets to it they will tell them sorry that’s not for playing with now and put it away with said kid won’t listen I’ll step in. My boys have half the livingroom that’s filled with their toys not a single guest needs a toy from their room!! If my boys want to bring something from their room that’s fine but a guest is not allowed too! The toys in the living room are in common room and they are for sharing! Both boys share each other’s and with guests! I’d be pissed. This rule only applies to the toys in their half of the livingroom the other half that has the Switch and TV and such those rules do not apply and permission needs to be granted before the switch and tv are used by guests especially. But there is a divide in between the parts to tell which side is which for sure and I make it known!!

Toys break , buy a new one… there you go

2 Likes

It’s a TOY and toys are made for kids to play with and honestly your child would of probably at some point or another of broke it or it would of just got broke. Toys aren’t made to last forever

2 Likes

The mother should pay for it. However people rarely take responsibility for their children any more. In the future don’t have friends in your home. People will have their kids break your stuff then blame it on childhood instead of teaching their children right from wrong. I’m blunt. I’d tell her she & her kid aren’t welcome in my home because her child isn’t taught manners.

1 Like

A toddler broke a toy crap happens but if he was banging it after being told not to then I would expect parents to replace it

1 Like

Thank God it’s one less toy to clean up

2 Likes

When my kids were growing up if they broke something I would automatically pay for it.
I wouldn’t take no for an answer. If they didnt take the money I’d bring a new toy.
And if company would come I’d put away all special and or expensive toys. If she didnt offer then don’t ask, but put away all special toys before your company gets there.

1 Like

When I was little…I broke my friends new Ken doll…I got in shit, and had to replace it and apologize.
Kids need to learn early to take responsibility for their actions… otherwise, what do they learn about other people’s property?
If it ruins your relationship then your friend need to check her priorities. If MY kid broke something of someone else’s, I would replace it, and my kid would get in trouble and have to apologize. Period.
Yes, you invited them over…but I’m guessing you didnt think the kid would break some toys. :woman_shrugging:t3::woman_shrugging:t3:

If it was my child at your house i would pay for it because i would presume you wouldn’t have let my child play with something valuable or easy breakable. If you do then thats on you :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

If my daughter broke my friends child’s toy I would offer to buy a new one. But that’s just me.

1 Like

Ask her for half of what it cost unless you know for sure they did it🤷‍♂️

Before any friends come over we always ask our kids to put any special toys in our bedroom safe or to shut their bedroom doors if they don’t want other kids in there. Anything that’s out when other kids are here is fair game and accidents happen. At 3 their still learning I would let it go and know better for next time.

4 Likes

I always put my kids new toys away or lock them up in a closet. However if my kid breaks a toy i try throw some money at it. Not many people would offer to pay for toys. Kids break toys all the time. My 3 year old breaks hers all the time. No matter where it came from or how much was spent on it. No matter how many time we tell her to be gentle. And sit and play gentle with her.

Also if you bring it up. Can ruin a friendship. Is it worth it?

1 Like

Really. This is ridiculous

4 Likes

If it was something you didn’t want messed with by others I would’ve put it away. Only leave out the toys you feel are suitable for guests’ children. We don’t allow other kids in our kids rooms. They play either in the living room or outside where they can be watched. Yes, it’s upsetting that your kids’ things were broken but that’s just what happens sometimes. It would be nice of her to replace it, yes, but remember, it’s only a toy.

1 Like

3 year olds break stuff.

1 Like

it’s a toy. the kid is 3. get over it. seriously this is a dumb use of the Facebook echo chamber, and I have seen some really dumb stuff posted on Facebook.

3 Likes

They’re only 3.5 there’s nothing you can do about apart from put more expensive toys away next time. You could mention what happened in conversation and see if your friend offers to pay

1 Like

Was it an accident or an intentional slam the toy into something and it broke? My reaction and my opinion would depend on that. If it was an accident, I’d just take it as a loss and move on.

Ok so, my nephew broke a toy one day. No big deal, we tell him hes gotta be careful blah blah blah. The next time he came over he broke something else. A silly string of lights my daughter got from her gma who lives in another state. He didnt just break one light he broke the WHOLE STRING. That time, his momma told him he was buying my daughter new lights. Cause that time it was intentional. A true accident no, shouldnt be replaced. But intentionally breaking it. Yes should be replaced.

13 Likes

If you were so worried about the toys put them up when kids come for Christ sake the child is a toddler lucky he didn’t hurt it’s self on the broken pieces

5 Likes

If she knew that her son broke it, she should have enough sense to offer. I understand he is young but parents should still be responsible. I would have to say let it go this time. Lesson learned, next time put away all expensive toys…

5 Likes

Use it as a lesson to be gentle with out toys. If there are toys that are more fragile…then put them out of reach while other kids are around. Toys get played with and sometimes they break. I doubt it was meant maliciously so chalk it up to a lesson for both kiddos :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I would never ask a friend to pay for a toy their child broke. Kids are kids. Thats what happens. :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

10 Likes

Well, it’s a toy. I’d have a discussion about being respectful of others things. But at 3.5… stuff happens.

2 Likes

Toys get broken, hon. It’s a tough lesson for both child and parent to grasp.

2 Likes

And this is what is wrong with kids now adays! Parents just replace things and therefore kids don’t take care of their possessions. If my friends kid accidentally broke a toy it wouldn’t be a big deal…if the kid threw the toy or was having a tantrum I would ask them to replace it. Kids need to know the outcome of their actions…we as parents are responsible to teach them!

6 Likes

Toys get broken :woman_shrugging: it happens

3 Likes

I would say unfortunately that’s the risk you take. I mean very young child and I’m sure it wasn’t done intentionally and I think it would be rude to ask your friend to pay for it.

6 Likes

Possibly just replace it once. Now you know to not keep new or really loved toys out when other people come over. Have the toys that you wont really mind out when you have company and guide her child to be more gentle with toys or try to have more activities guided away from toys.

3 Likes

Kid toys get broken. It’s a bummer, but it is a fact of life. Great learning opportunity.
Some toys we keep to ourselves, some we share.
It’s definitely a life lesson. Nobody owes anything.

2 Likes

Mama, let it go.
Stuff happens.

1 Like

The kid is 3 1/2 …toys get broken…you, as the adult, should of been watching the kids and maybe it wouldn’t of got broke. Or since it is a new toy,put it up for only your child to play with…

7 Likes

If it’s that serious ask her to replace it🤷🏼‍♀️ I know when we have kids over we put up my sons favorite toys but other then that it’s kinda expected that a toy gets broken honestly.

The decent person would of offered to pay for it , it’s the right thing to do and if you take them up on it or not that’s your choice but i would atleast expect them to offer , personally I would refuse them replacing and next time go to either their home or a public place . These things do happen unforrantly

Soo I’m torn. I supervise my daughter and her friends. I remind them to be careful. But occasionally we let them do their own thing. They always pull out all the stuff. I’m sure they’ve both broken toys. I don’t ask my friend to replace and they don’t ask me to. We use it as a don’t break stuff. The couple of toys we want to be played with under supervision or the kids not to play with stay away.

1 Like

Dont ruin a friendship with the mom over a toy. Not worth it.

6 Likes

Tough lesson. Put your special stuff where others can’t get to them. My daughter has had to be reminded of this a few times. It happens, move on.

2 Likes

Seriously?? This is a question? The child broke it sure was an accident. That’s ridiculous to ask them to pay you.

1 Like

Lesson learned. Don’t invite your friend over if she knows her kids a shit and doesn’t do anything about it. Or hide the toys in the future.

Yea, you can’t ask her to pay for it. 3 yr olds break toys. Maybe next time you could put away the toys you don’t want to risk getting broken?

1 Like

Always put expensive and cherrished toys away when company company comes

1 Like

Deal with it because kids break things? I’d never ask my friend to replace something and I teach my kids that if they don’t want to share something, it gets put away while they play with friends.

3 Likes

Were you not there when the child had the toy? Yeah you would be ridiculous to ask a parent of a 3 year old for money when you were present. It’s a toy.

4 Likes

Your friend should have offered to replace it if they knew immediately that it happened…but like many have said, it’s a risk you run when allowing other children to come and play in your home. I doubt the 3 1/2 year old did it on purpose, they are still learning. If you really want it replaced and it wasn’t something crazy expensive, then do so but honestly how much is your child REALLY going to miss the toy? It’s just an object, not worth ruining anything over

Put them away when they come are don’t answer the door the parent should offer to pay :rage:

My son got a small ball pit for his 2nd birthday. We saved up and that was a big present. I invited a friend with 2 kids over and they were just very disrespectful towards everything. And after many many warning and attempts to get them to stop being so rough with a younger kids toy and be respectful of it. They broke it. The mother was there a witness all of it and simply just said sorry can’t afford that. At the time I was angry because we worked hard to get it. I never invited them over again because I feel like as a playdate we should teach our kids to be respectful of others things. (It was more then just the ball pit) but I get it. If the kid was intentally being disrespectful and broke it id mention replacing it. If it was a accident I would not ask the other parent and just take it as a lesson put away the things you don’t want the chance of breaking

3 Likes

:roll_eyes:It happens. I would say if you don’t want expensive nice toys possibly broken, I would put those up before the child comes over. I would never think to ask a 3 yr old Mom to pay for a broken toy. Leave out the durable, plastic, non expensive toys.

6 Likes

Just dont invite them over again. Go out to the park or something

1 Like

Take it as a lesson learned! If you dont wanna chance it getting ruined or broken then put it away while company is over! I personally would feel rude if i even thought about asking a friend to replace a toy or anything! Either accept that this is something that is a possibilty when doing play dates and having company or dont host at your home!

2 Likes

Depends…If it was an accident, oh well that happens. If its a kid who goes around smashing stuff trying to break it…don’t have that kid back to your house.

Ur gonna make it awkward if u demand she pay for it
Although my friends offer and insist to buy it
Not my sister her kids break it and she never offers…so I put the good toys away and keep the cheap lame toys out

I also offer to replace if my my kid breaks it

Things break
I would t buy my kids extremely expensive toys either way…they break my stuff their stuff
Cant have nice things with lil kids

Kids break things. If your child were to break something accidentally over their house would you want to be hit with a bill from a friend? Maybe chalk it up to a life lesson and put expensive toys again before the next play date?

3 Likes

I’m sorry anything I don’t want other kids playing with I put away. Yes, I’ve dealt with a lot of people go sharing is caring. I’m sorry I won’t be sharing anything of mine. Cause most of the time they won’t fix or replace it. My kids know if they bring out than it’s fair game to be played with. If they don’t want it played with than it’s out of sight and mind.

3 Likes

We put away specialnand expensive toys. 3 year olds break things it happens

1 Like

Kids break things… if I’m inviting someone with kids over I’m taking a risk… I put stuff up that I know I would be upset over if broken… I wouldn’t ask someone to replace it when I invited them over.

2 Likes

I always tell my son that whatever toys/books he would be upset by another child breaking needs to be put away. They’re children and accidents do happen. This time it was your friend’s son but you never know if and when it might be your child breaking another child’s toy. They’re kids and unfortunately things like this happen. If your friend offers to replace the toy then that’s ok but I wouldn’t ask her to pay you for it. That’s just me though

4 Likes

Um, understand they are kids and things happen. Its a toy.

5 Likes

One time thing id let it go but if youre saying the kid is constantly damaging your things (out of jealousy possibly?) Then the answer is simple, dont have them over anymore.
Or put all expensive things away. But if he still behaves that way and they dont seem to care then dont have them there .
I knew someone like that who wouldnt ever take responsibility for her childs behaviour …he was always pushing my child and the mom would say she fell etc. When we all saw him do it.
Cut them out. Byeee!

1 Like

Accident happens all the time…

1 Like

Kinda sad that kids can’t play with stuff without the fear of breaking… it’s a you. I get it cost money but it’s a toy. Put away things you don’t want going missing or broken. Why have you friend feel like they can’t visit because you want to be reimbursed over a toy.

5 Likes

Kids will be kids and accidents happen. If you have other children over and allow them to play with certain toys you have to be aware that they can break, it could have just as easily been your child. I would never ask my friend to pay me back for a broken toy. You say oops and next time put things away if you are afraid of it being broken.

4 Likes

Don’t ask her to pay.

4 Likes

If you don’t want someone else playing with it you put it away before . Children are children and shit happens and breaks sometimes . I would never ask another parent to pay for something that their child broke when I invited them into my home to play with in the first place

Just let it go. It was an accident, most likely. Either don’t have them over anymore or put the good toys away before they get there :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

You should have packed the good toys away knowing a toddler was coming over, I’m sure baby didnt mean it.

6 Likes

There’s nothing you can do if you didn’t want anything to happen to that toy you should have put it up out of the way

2 Likes

Id be a decent mother and offer to pay for it but if my friend accepted the offer I don’t think I’d be continuing on with that friendship. And obviously I’d have my child apologize and use one of their toys to replace it, just for the lesson that we must respect other people’s things. Kids break everything, super glue the shit and move on. In a few months it’s going to be tossed to the bottom of the toy bin and forgotten about until Christmas 2020 when you’re making room for all the new toys they’re going to break

Absolutely ask. If my kid broke a toy at a friend’s house I would absolutely want to know and would pay

1 Like

Depends on how much the toy actually cost… my daughters friend broke her brand new laptop when she fell on it. Her mom bought my daughter a second hand one as that’s all she could afford. I was more than happy with that.

4 Likes

You invited them over. Put up toys next time. You can ask but did you see it happen?

2 Likes

Chalk it up to lesson learned

1 Like

You said you invited your friend and her kid??? … WELL THAT’S 2 ADULTS !! kids that age should be watched!!!.. or things Get Broken …either way you look at it its your fault …it’s your place ! You invited them ! You didn’t put things away ! You weren’t watching them . This could of been prevented easily. … but don’t ask your friend for money for something a 3 year old did while in your house . When you invite people to your house especially a 3 year old … You are responsible for their safety first ! And responsible for them to have adult supervision. … if you don’t want something to be broken put it awwwwway ! OR JUST DON’T INVITE KIDS OVER … SORRY TO BE SO BLUNT …BUT IT’S THE TRUTH :persevere::roll_eyes::v::v:

7 Likes

I cut my losses and don’t invite those kids over again.

3 Likes

was it an accident or was it intentional?? if it was an accident use it as a way to ask him to be more gentle… and if theres something you think he will break put it up… if it was intentional tell her she needs to buy a new one…

I highly doubt it was intentional. Expensive toys or toys you don’t want touched should be put away. Not worth losing a friend over a toy.

3 Likes

Was it an accident or on purpose? That determines what I would do. We also put away expensive toys or thing we don’t want broken when friends come over to play.

1 Like

I baby sit a toddler and infant. He is not old enough to understand how to treat things so i put up my girls tablets. Its your fault for not putting away the important toys. Some kids are not mentally ready to understand how to be gentle

5 Likes

Honestly if it happened in my home I wouldn’t care 🤷 but if it was at a friend’s I would replace it even with out them asking me to, that’s just me tho

2 Likes

Don’t invite them back. If he did on purpose

3 Likes

Man people on here are lethal. Sorry guys we can’t be friends anymore you have a toddler 🤦 is this really how you deal with all life’s little accidents just cut it out? No room for error or mistake? Scary part is this is what you teach your kids…

6 Likes

:rofl::rofl:omg, are f-ing serious. I don’t know if I should laugh at you, be embarrassed for you or just plain feel sorry for you…

4 Likes

This could potentially ruin your friendship and cost your child and yourself a friend. Kids break things all the time but I would never ask for my friend to pay me back for broken toys. Also would have put up any valued toys before a play date. But it’s definitely not worth causing drama over!

6 Likes

It’s just a toy… get over yourself. What the hell would you be teaching your child if you made your friend pay you back for the toy her TODDLER broke by accident? You’re going to raise a materialistic little prick. Sorry not sorry :woman_shrugging:t2: plus, that would probably hurt your friends feelings or they would laugh at you bc that’s immature af of you… even if the kid was a lot older, that’s not how to handle a situation like this. MONEY ISN’T EVERYTHING & YOU SHOULD NOT TEACH CHILDREN TO CARE ABOUT IT.

1 Like

Next time put the good toys away

1 Like

If you invited them then you knew they were coming you should have put up toys you did wnat broke or haveming other children play with

2 Likes

Accidents happen and not all children or their parents have respect for property, I usually put my kids special or new toys away somewhere safe if I know there’s kids coming over that have broken toys here before.

If it’s a new toy that is expensive over $50 and you can’t afford to replace it I would ask them to if my kids break a toy at a friend’s house or something I fully expect to be held liable for it as it’s my child that broke the toy

1 Like

If the toy was that expensive or important, you dont let a 3.5years old child to play with it unsupervised. It is your fault unfortunately. If your friendship has a value…then go for it! I would hit that unseen unfriend button immediately!

Don’t bring those toys out. I learned this lesson for my mother, if you can’t be nice about something getting broken and it’s best to leave that thing put away until guests leave. As an adult I think of China, when I bring out my China I know there’s a chance that is going to get broken, and if it’s so precious to me that I can’t be gracious in face of an accident then I simply do not eat off the China. When the friend comes over, put away the nice new toys and play with the older stuff, kids learn to make do

YOU invited them over. Thats on YOU! If you didnt want it broke, because you know 3 year olds break things, you should have put it up. Take it as a lesson learned, replace it, and either put valuable toys up or dont invite them over anymore.

1 Like