My friends child broke my childs toy: Advice?

Tbh hide the new toys and leave the old ones out.

If was on purpose yes I would replace if my child did it, if was accidental then no. But then aain me personally would have moved toys I was bothered about out of way

1 Like

Wow he’s 3 not 5 or 6. If you have vulnerable or expensive toys maybe you could put them in a tote or box before young toddlers come over. Just keep out the toys that are not expensive.

1 Like

I guess if the child is intentionally doing it. Because yes some parents do teach bad behavior ., But it may have been an accident. I would be letting my child play with destructive children but on the same note are they jst playing or trying to break them. 2 different things…

When I worked at a gym daycare i had a mother with 4 kids n i really liked her so anyway i used to bring my kids to work with me n a 6 year old pushed his 2 year old brother he fell right down on my sons tablet smashed the whole screen…i expected her to help replace it or offer too she did not n we r no longer friends…was accidentally broken yes but her son should not have been intentionally pushing hos brother around other kids or at all for that matter…lesson learned tho put stuff up around otjer kids and i never brought my oldest to work work me again

Don’t put stuff out you don’t want broken… you invited her over

1 Like

Don’t invite them over !!

1 Like

Accidents happen but I dont have any friends that wouldnt offer to replace it straight away so i dont know what i would do if they didnt lol i dont know just chalk it up to experience and put the expensive things away when they come to play. I dont think it’s worth falling out over money for x

1 Like

If it was an accident then I wouldn’t be bothered but my 3&half year old knows different from right & wrong if she did it intentionally!!

1 Like

Just put up the toys you don’t want broken and keep blocks out for them to play with, I personally wouldn’t jeopardize my friendship over something like a toy but if it means that much to you then just put them away until they go home.

1 Like

Personally, if I was the said “friend”, I would’ve at least offered to help pay to replace it. My kid broke the toy while I was there with him. Most of the time, the gesture is appreciated at the very least, whether they actually want you to replace it or not. However, if you want to keep that particular friend, I wouldn’t ask for her to replace it, and take it as a lesson learned. It sucks, but it happens.

1 Like

How much do you value the friend?

Nothing. Toys get broke. It a replacement toy worth your friendship?

It would really depend on how expensive the toy was and if it was an accident.

4 Likes

My friends with kids usually always say they will pay for it, but I always refuse. I know which toys my son really likes so I keep them away. Learn this lesson and move on.

2 Likes

Nobody is gonna take care of your things for you, and no body wants to spend money they probably dont have to replace an unnecessary item like a toy.

It was an accident right. He wasn’t really trying to break them. I don’t think you can take it out on The child . If it was an expensive electronic game or phone explain to the parents but did you get the ins. A toy car etc. Accidents happen

1 Like

Next time pack away all the toys you can’t afford to get broken befor they come over or just don’t have anyone over

1 Like

Hide all the good stuff before people come over

3 Likes

Let the mama know what happened and ask her if there is anyway that she could replace ot being as her child broke it.

I can’t believe you would have to ask.
If my child broke anything belonging to someone else I would just replace it.
You shouldn’t have to put stuff away in your own house. Visiting parents should have better control of their kids and teach them to respect other people’s property.

It depends on if it was an accident or if the child did it deliberately. :woman_shrugging: accidents happen and if it isn’t something you are okay with potentially breaking, keep it out of the hands of others.

11 Likes

Accidents happen unless they broke it on purpose so would be your word against the child’s. Would you replace it if your child broke it?

1 Like

Seriously? They are kids, things happen, things get broke.

24 Likes

Absolutely do not ask for money! That will end your friendship. That’s extremely petty regardless of what the toy cost. When children play things get broken. They are Children :grimacing:

19 Likes

Toys break. Let it go, unless you dont value the friendship, because its gonna end.

4 Likes

Toys get broken. If you don’t want them broken don’t let kids play with them. Especially at that age.

4 Likes

Unless the child did it intentionally let it go. Things get broken and accidents happen. I know it can be frustrating but he is only 3 1/2.

4 Likes

They are kids! If you don’t want accidents to happen, then put things away :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

In the nicest way possible, as they say… “shit happens.” As you explained - his a three and a half year old child. Accidents happen… Unless it was deliberate? If so, did she discipline him? If it was intentional and she didnt discipline him, that’s what I would be tackling. How she must discipline her son when he does wrong round your house because of the reasons you state above. It was an xmas gift. We all scrimp and save and stress at Christmas so not everything’s easy to come by. Not having the actual toy replaced. But i’d personally let it go over my head! Kids break things… If it wasnt broken by her son, it would probably have been broken by yours eventually😂 accidents happen x

5 Likes

Well if you friend hasn’t offered or already replaced your child’s toy by now I wouldn’t hold your breath on them being replaced. Chalk it up to lesson learned and secure the play area in the future so it doesn’t happen again. Our rule around our house even with siblings was…pick it up and put it away if you don’t want it broke.

4 Likes

You can’t ask them to pay for toys next time put special toys away as kids are kids

11 Likes

Accidents happen if it was something that was expensive it should have been put up if u didn’t want another child playing with it while your child had friends over

8 Likes

You expect it to happen!!! Next time your kid may break her kids toy! I can’t even believe anyone would ask this! If it is a special toy HIDE IT next time

10 Likes

It’s a toy! Children break things ON ACCIDENT! Don’t ask for money… instead ask yourself “wtf is wrong with me”

8 Likes

It’s only a toy…

3 Likes

That’s why there is an age limit on toys, if your childs toy was made for older children, then maybe it should have been put away when the toddler was over. Sorry but toys are not child resistant, if they were toy companies would go broke…

3 Likes

I agree with what literally every single comment has said. Same thing goes with school. If my kid breaks a toy or something of another kids at school I won’t pay for it. Shit happens. Kids are kids.

2 Likes

Toys break. If it’s a special toy, don’t allow it to be out when friends are over.

6 Likes

It’s a toy they break

1 Like

Friend or not I’d make them pay for a new one you don’t come over to my house and let your kids break my kids stuff

3 Likes

Toys break, it’s not that big of a deal. If it cost so much that you’re worried about it, maybe dont buy such expensive toys or put them away when someone elses kid is over.

2 Likes

Kids will be kids… toys break

1 Like

I mean, I would put away toys that I didn’t want other people’s kids to play with. Simple enough. Don’t leave them out if you don’t assume there is a risk to them getting broken by any child that plays with it.

5 Likes

Simple… go to their house and break one of the kids toys

10 Likes

If my kids broke the toy I will tell you I will replace it. Because I know it’s Christmas toy.

1 Like

I say bring it up, let your friend know the significance of the toy and it was new. I’m shocked the friend didn’t offer to pay. What kind of friend doesn’t even offer to replace it?

In the future, put up the toys you don’t want broken. Perhaps even ask the friend to bring over their own toys. You got to protect what’s yours while preserving the friendship.

2 Likes

If it’s important then put it up when guests come over. They are children. I’m sure it was an accident. Wow.

4 Likes

They are kids. Expect it to happen. Dont want them broke? Dont have kids over. If it was my kid, yes u would replace. But to expect otherwise from kids…nope.

Toys break. Let it go. If you dont want them to play with a particular toy, put it away before children come over. This happens. Let it go.

11 Likes

I have 4 boys… 12,9, almost 5. And 1. TRUST ME… Toys break… All the time!! I don’t know how many times I’ve bought toys for birthdays,Christmas etc… Literally can turn around the following week, maybe even days and they don’t last long… If there is something of actual value or sentiment… PUT IT UP!! PERIOD!!! Otherwise, life happens, wear a helmet :crazy_face:

2 Likes

We kinda know that 3 year olds are going to break them more often than not. So I’m of the put the toys away that you may not want played with or they’re the more expensive ones etc. but if it does get broken it’s material things and how we react to that shows our kids and our family/friends how we place some values.

3 Likes

As a friend, I would have offered to pay for it…IF it was told that my child broke it. I wouldn’t ask them to pay for it, it should have been offered. Maybe a “while you were over, _______ broke my child’s toy” the next time you speak. While yes, they are toys and will break, I think that you need to look at it as if it was just a toy and accidents do happen…and definitely put up any toys that were or are expensive or hard to replace.

Put the special toys away. Kids will be kids. Especially 3 year olds…let it go.

9 Likes

This happened to my son when I spoke up about it, it was more than one toy it was a repeated thing and usually the toys my son liked best. I thought about not allowing my friend and her child back over but that was unfair to my child who liked to play with him so whenever they are over I have a tote of toys my son or I don’t care what happens to them and that’s the toys that comes out. I no longer let companies children in my children’s rooms we all stay in the common areas with the select toys. Don’t like it don’t come visit.

11 Likes

Not much you can do but next time they come over don’t give this child a excess to the expensive you. The friend should have offered to pay you for the toys her son broke

2 Likes

You said toys plural? Like the child just came over and purposely destroyed your child’s belongings? If that’s the case, I’d never invite that child to my house again. You can tell the truth or make an excuse, but don’t give the kid another chance to do any more damage. But don’t expect the parents to cough up money for broken toys, either. If the child is that destructive, they are probably already broke.

4 Likes

The child is 3, if you didn’t want it to break you should of put it away.

12 Likes

Don’t invite that kid over again. Or hide all the good toys n give the kid old ones

Toys break.

I would feel really weird asking for someone to pay for it- especially not knowing who broke it or how it got broken.

3 Likes

From now on, put away the newer and favorite toys.

Let it go. They are kids. Not worth potentially messing up a friendship over that. My friends daughter who was 10 months old came over and broke my glass vase, I didn’t care about the case, I was concerned that she was okay and didn’t get any glass on her, but things break. These are material things. You can always buy your child a new toy. Now if it was like a $400.00 toy or tablet or something, I’d be a little upset about that.

13 Likes

I’ve had it happen.
You were the sitter. The child is three.
Let it go.

6 Likes

Put the toys up u dont want played with

No way would I make my friend pay for a toy a 3 year old broke… :roll_eyes: materialism gone mad.

7 Likes

I had a friends children break an expensive toy that my kids just got, I did not say anything but I wish I did, I had bought one of those five in one games, with pool table, and hockey , a basket ball game in it, they broke the hockey game part. If it’s expensive, I would mention it and would not leave it around next time they come. The kids I was talking about were 4 and 5 .

Depends on the toy, what the circumstances were and if the toy is easily replaceable

Live & learn unfortunately

I would say something to the mom but not expect anything. Let her offer to replace it, maybe she can’t afford to and will feel really bad. Maybe just an apology will be good enough. But I would say give her the opportunity and then be proactive on your end, putting away the good toys when that kid comes over. I know I would want the opportunity if my kid broke another kids toy.

1 Like

I mean you did invite them to over, knowing a small child was coming to play as well.
If the toys weren’t put up or were in a common area to be played with then it just sucks but crap happens… it would be a poor move to ask them to reimburse it given you wouldn’t expect your own child to pay for it if it was broken. Sadly you need to chalk it up as lesson learned and next time (if there is one) all “new” toys need to be put away!

3 Likes

Put the toys that you don’t want other kids playing with when you know other kids are coming over. I’ve had to do this at times when my kids have friends over.

I had the same issue with a child I sat for. We just got to the point of putting those favorites away in my room that was off limits.

We just opted to keep the toys special to my kids put away when we knew company was expected. My kids liked to keep their toys nice as did I. My grandkids play with them now. My daughter is 36 and my son is 28. The grandkids even play with some of my childhood things. I’m 60!

Unfortunately these things happen, children have a habit of getting a bit over excited especially with there friends things, if you dont want something broken, put it away until your guests have left, especially if it means alot to your child and costs too much to replace. You cant really blame a child for the adult of the household not being responsible enough to act 1st. My son puts all his expensive tech and toys in a safe place if we have smaller children over or kids who dont know better, however if something did get broken by a child we have invited in then im responsible and the only thing i would expect is for that childs parent to explain that said child owes my kid an apology but thats it.

Put the good ones away.

Shouldn’t have been in their reach. I was taught to put valuables away.

1 Like

We put out toys for playing and put away the others that my kids don’t want broken or even shared with other kids . The rule is if you have it out then it’s fair for them to play with and sometimes they get broken.

It happens when kids come over, and vise versa. I believe it is something you just deal with, unless the child was purposely tearing things up and breaking things. Then, I would say something. We have this issue with our older nephew. The child has serious issues and steals from us and breaks EVERYTHING, including putting holes in walls and so on. We limited his time he was able to come over and occasionally made him and all the kids stay outside, however unfortunately we had to put an end to him coming over all together. Their family situation is so screwed up, so some of his behavior we understand the rest of it is sociopathic behavior, and we hated to have to do that to family but this last visit was the last straw. Now, with him we asked for money and items back he stole or broke but we will never see it. I doubt your situation is that drastic so I think I would just leave it as an understanding on both parts that things happen. Your children may go go their house and accidentally break things, and their parents would just have to have the same understanding. If they are the type to ask for money for those items, then I would be the same back to them.

1 Like

In a perfect world whether accidental or not, the other mom would at least offer to replace it or just replace it. It’s not a perfect world. Accidents so happen and it’s sucks. But you will ruin the relationship if you demand she replaces or pays for it. They are kids and toys break and accidents happen. I think it’s insane that accident or not the other mom didn’t at least offer to replace it but I don’t think that means you should make her replace it. Honestly, just don’t have them over to your house, or put the breakable toys away next time is my advice. Hope that helps.

1 Like

I would ask if it was an older child and intentional, but a 3 year old surely didn’t mean it.

2 Likes

You should put things away you don’t want other children to touch or possibly break just because all kids aren’t as careful as your own and the parent shouldn’t have to pay I personally would offer but it shouldn’t be asked.

4 Likes

Just simply ask if they could kindly replace it. Usually people would offer to do that anyways. I definitely would.

1 Like

He,s just years old ,so let it go ,

1 Like

Just suck it up there kids
Maybe if your so worried about your kids yous and the expense of them maybe put them away and just have old toys that and matter when his friend comes to play

2 Likes

Kids will break toys…

2 Likes

I’ve never asked a mom to pay for something their kid broke, they’re under enough stress and embarrassment. My kids have certain toys no other kids are allowed to touch

3 Likes

Pretty much you have to suck it up and learn your lesson and keep your mouth shut if I have read the majority of these comments correctly. But hey, thats how were told to deal with people when they fuck us over anyway right

It’s a toy. Its not that serious. My girlfriends son broke a $60 xbox controller. I didn’t even bother telling her. Coincidentally she purchased a new one for my sons bday she heard him talk about. If you are true friends you don’t sweat replaceable things. We all work hard for items. But its material things.

6 Likes

Teach them the lesson that friends and people are more valuable than toys.

2 Likes

It happends, move on. Put the good toys away.
When kids go to school their stuff gets lost, stolen, broken.
Dont lose sleep over it.

1 Like

Toys wilk sometimes bresk when played with let it go.

1 Like

Dont invite kids over then?

Nothing. It happens and you kinda have to know it could happen

…they’re toys.
They’re meant to be played with and kids play rough. The kid is 3. Replace the toy and move on.

4 Likes

Seriously think some of these questions are made up to get other moms annoyed. But if this is real, Who cares?! Its a material toy.

3 Likes

Put the “special” ones up that your child would be devastated without. Play with the rest. If it was broken purposely, kid goes to time out, gives an apology before play resumes. Then let it go

Over all i wouldnt be too upset but i would still talk to them about it.
Be like
“hey i swear its not a big deal but so, so broke my childs toy- is there anyway we can work on helping them understand to be more gentle with toys that dint belong to them?”
Its a “children will be children” situation. But if it was a super special toy i would be upset of course and have a serious conversation but at the same time super special toys should be put away when guests are over.

1 Like

Barbora Kodlová :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:
We both would go in debt if we have too pay each other for the shits our kids break :joy:

Ugh this happened to me but it was a custom made photo book, the child ripped a page out after her mom have it to her to look at. The mom said … she’s just a kid, it’s fine! Um no… It wasn’t fine, it was ripped out of the book! Her mom didn’t care, she chalked it up to her being young and not knowing better…

1 Like

Don’t invite the kid anymore