My friends child broke my childs toy: Advice?

Don’t invite the kid anymore

I think if she were your FRIEND… she would of offered to replace it without you mentioning it

When my son friend broke my kitchen chair from fooling around. His mom took it and had it fixed.
She respects my home as do i with hers. When my son accidentally stepped on her ipad. It happens. But you’re responsible for what ur kids do. Accident or not.

6 Likes

You don’t let a 3 year old play with a new toy that you would not want broken. Kids break toys. You have to teach them to be careful. I brought my great niece and nephew, Who were 5 and 2, To spend the weekend with my grandson. Of course the 2 yo was rough and broke and lost pieces. My daughter was upset, she only lets the older nieces and nephews or cousin’s children spend the night or weekend, if they are 5 and up, well what do you expect. My grand son who is 4 has a lot of toys, and yes he is careful not to break things. As was my daughter,because I taught her, then she taught her son. So cousin’s can still play together, but we put up the good toys.

You invited your friend over. Your responsibility. The kid didnt mean to.

4 Likes

They toys get over it.

2 Likes

Dont have the good toys out when company is over :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Nothing. Accidents happen.

1 Like

I would probably be peeved at a brand new toy getting broken but at the same time it’s just a toy not worth the fight imo

Wow, I can’t believe you think you’re entitled to someone BUYING toys to replace what a THREE YEAR OLD broke. They’re 3. Get over it. If you’re going to be so rude then don’t invite them back over, or don’t let a three year old play with something you don’t want broken. :joy: I wouldn’t want to come back if someone had the audacity to ask me to replace toys lol

1 Like

put them away when other kids come by?

13 Likes

It was an accident you can’t expect a child to be responsible

15 Likes

Stop inviting them over or put the nice toys up.

9 Likes

Was it done out of malice or an accident?

5 Likes

Ugggg. She should have offered to replace it. If you can afford to, just replace it and be careful to put favorites/new/fragile things away when friends come over next time.

11 Likes

Be honest with your friend. It’s hard and I’m sure there’s anxiety involved approaching a subject like that.

Maybe I haven’t had a friend break my kid’s toys, but I’ve had friend’s kids be mean to my daughter and the best thing was to be honest about their behavior.

1 Like

I understand your side, but the kid is 3. I’m sure your child will break toys or other things that aren’t theirs at some point if they haven’t already. It happens. Next time put up what toys you don’t to risk being broken.

9 Likes

Suck it up. Lesson learned.

9 Likes

It’s kind of weird to expect a parent to pay for a toy that a child broke especially at that young age, if you know that they’re going to break toys don’t bring out the good toys when they come over… toddlers are going to ruin and break things.

18 Likes

If your uncomfortable asking for her to replace it next time put up the toys you don’t want to get broken! I understand not wanting to start conflict.

2 Likes

You invited them, so you knew they were coming. You obviously cherish the particular toys… put them away beforehand! You don’t invite people, particularly kids over if you have valuables in reach that you don’t want touched/broken.

7 Likes

Nothing it was an accident.

5 Likes

I would just let it go. 3 year olds break things that’s the risk you take. Dont let them play with anything you wouldn’t want broken. If it was an older child who intentionally broke something I would have a different opinion…

4 Likes

Is this a serious question?! :roll_eyes: things like this happen with kids!

13 Likes

Are you serious? They’re toys, they’re replaceable. If you don’t want a child touching your stuff, what do you do? You put it away so they don’t have access to it. You must be a FTM so my advice is, you have no right to ask your friend to replace your child’s toy. Next time, put the toys that are expensive up until company leaves.

36 Likes

Let it go.If you don’t want something played with or broken put it up they are kids.

4 Likes

Your being petty. It’s a child. Toys break…If you don’t want toys broken leave them at the store.

19 Likes

See it often. Parents tend to encourage this idea that plastic and such are so important. They are 3 it’s a toy your child won’t remember but being upset over a broken toy could cost her friendship. As she grows she will put things above humans. Fail to see accidents happens and forgiveness is best.
If you said the other child said they hurt your child and you asked them to cover medical bills I’d get it. I’m poor as they come no lie but I’ll not be upset about a toy. I won’t put my child’s toys away from other kids etc.

3 Likes

Suck it up they are toys it happens. If you ask them to pay then no one will want to come play with your son

4 Likes

Accidents happen, if it happens again find a new playmate.

3 Likes

Make like Elsa and let it GO! Is a toy worth possibly causing a rift? Pick your battles!

My daughter has a very large expensive dollhouse. A family member broke the elevator out of it. I knew even mentioning it was a waste of breath. Now I lock her bedroom door and let my kid bring out just a few toys for her & guests to play with.

3 Likes

There kids and honestly you should have put those specific toys up. Three year olds are rough.

2 Likes

I feel like when you invite friends with kids over to play that you take the risk of things breaking. I don’t feel it’s necessary to ask your friend to pay for the broken toys. I feel that would cause turmoil in your friendship. Just take it as a lesson learned. Find a public place for play dates, or maybe put “special toys” away before they come over.

3 Likes

I guess it depends on if it was expensive. If my kid broke someone else’s toy though I’d replace it no questions asked. However if you don’t want toys broken don’t let them play with it. Put those toys up.

You don’t ask your friend to pay back the toy because kids accidentally break things occasionally. If you don’t want something ruined, you put it up

4 Likes

They’re kids things happen :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Never ask the toy be replaced. Put toys out you don’t care if it breaks or not.

3 Likes

This just tells me what kind of person you are :rofl:

6 Likes

If it’s a toy that can’t afford to be broken, it should be put away. Otherwise, it’s the chance you take inviting someone over. If the child deliberately broke the toy, don’t invite them over to play anymore or meet up somewhere for a play date that doesn’t involve your belongings.

1 Like

Common sense would be nice…lmao

When you invite kids over, you have to expect that something might get broken. If someone asked me to replace a toy that my child had broken I would replace it within reason but I’d never accept an invitation again.

2 Likes

Wow people here are really rude! I think she should replace them. Because she should have taught her kid better or been watching them.

19 Likes

Its a toy… replace it and move on.

Ask her to pay for a new one.

You break it, you buy it.

3 Likes

They are toddlers and toys break. It happens . lesson learned . Not sure what ur expecting to happen here. If you don’t want toys broken . don’t have them over . It sounds like ur making a mountion out of a mole hill . shit happens . my kids brake stuff all the time ( why we don’t have glass dishes) but u live an find what works . either dont have them over .or put the more expensive toys up. Or go to park .

3 Likes

I would never consider asking someone I invited over to pay for something that was broken in my home. It’s a price you pay when you invite others to play.

8 Likes

it’s a toy, they don’t last forever

1 Like

thats why you never leave new toys out when company is over. Hard lesson to learn from. Keep the new or expensive things put up.

Kids toys are mostly garbage to me so I can’t imagine having a toy that was so expensive that I’d ask for it to be replaced. If the kid was being a brat and you think he did it on purpose- you should have used it as a learning opportunity. But if it was an accident- you should lower the price of the kids toys. Lol. Like not to be a bitch but as parents we all kinda just have to accept that this kind of thing is possible and that its usually innocent. They seem pretty young to even have such expensive toys.

3 Likes

Ive always told my kid to put away special toys before company with kids comes over. Accidents are going to happen. If it was an older child and done with malice or on purpose then yeah the parents should pay for it but a 3 yr old, no

4 Likes

If you didn’t want it broken, you should have never invited the kid over. :woman_shrugging:t4:

7 Likes

It’s kids. What do you expect?

I wouldn’t bring it up

Put your kid in a bubble, never let anyone over, ever again. Kids break shit and if there are toys that are expensive/important then you, the adult, should put them up before company comes.

13 Likes

I mean I’m that mom I’d ask but that’s just me but I’m weird about people touching my stuff so I make sure all his new toys are hidden in my room. & he’s rude he’ll take it away from you, my children know if it’s theirs they don’t have to share :rofl: there is more of a chance he’ll break it before someone else

3 Likes

Don’t put out toys like that ? Kid is 3 years old. Your kid dosent need toys as much as another human his age to connect with. For me it’s not worth a toy they won’t care about next year

2 Likes

Dont let kids play with stuff you don’t want broken. Its a toy. It was an accident. If its cheap just get a new one. Personally if my kid breaks something i would replace it. But Thats me. Kids break stuff all the time. My kids breaks half the stuff he gets. Did you witness the child breaking it? If so why didnt you stop them. If you didnt see them, how do you know it was that child. New gifts i dont allow to be played with by company. We put them away until they leave

4 Likes

Depends, if done on purpose replace … if accidental… accept toys will break if it was a concern it should be put up away instead of letting the kids play with it.

1 Like

He’s a little child get over it :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Children break things

Personally I don’t buy my kids toys that if they break I would be trying to figure out how to pay for a new one. 3 kids later and tons and tons of broken toys have taught me, no matter the price they will break. Lessened learned that a toddler can and will break something.

1 Like

seriously it was a little one who doesn’t really know any better… be different thing if it was an older child but 3 years old… come on.

1 Like

They’re fucking kids. You should know better than to leave certain toys out if you know they’re coming. Put away certain toys that you don’t want broken or small pieces and leave anything else out. That simple

4 Likes

When you invite other children over you take that risk just like when you take you child to play somewhere else, I would bring it to the parents attention that their child broke a toy, if they offer to replace it, great good parenting! If they do not then write it off as a loss and the next time they come over dont have anything that is costly to replace available for them to play with. Loosing a friendship is not worth a monetary toy

2 Likes

Let it go! He’s just a toddler

1 Like

For real? Ask your self how u would react when another mom comes to you and want money for a broken toy…it’s a 3 years old…let it go

2 Likes

I guess it would depend if the kid broke it intentionally or not… If he is a little terror and, smashed it, I would contact my friend and just be honest. If it was a accident, as it happens with children most times… Know better do better and, put them up next time. Then replace the toy if your kid is super distraught over it.

1 Like

Lesson learned really, it’s a toy and there to be played with. If there’s something special put it away. I wouldn’t bring it up tbh.

1 Like

Toys are going to get broken and a 3 1/2 year old? You know dam well that child was going to brake something… you are going to ruin a friendship for what? If she does replace it give it a few weeks and your child 1 wont play with it or 2 already have it broke… shouldn’t had left it out… we have a 9,7,6,3,2 & a 7 week old I always tell the older kids if you dont want it broke put it up if they dont listen it is on them… dont buy toys you cant afford to replace that you so badly want them to have… :ok_hand:

7 Likes

That’s just part of it, just know that if your child breaks something, the other mom will more than likely let it slide, cuz, like I said, that’s part of it. It’s not the first time and it won’t be the last. Stuff breaks, but hey-it’s just stuff, right…

1 Like

Man, I was worried I’d be the 5% who basically said “get over it, he’s just a baby” but damn, you all impressed me :joy:

6 Likes

My son broke his friends toy (it cost £2, was cheap toy) so I took £1 of his money and £1 of mine to give to childs mother to replace so he learnt that although it was only £2 toy he needs to take care of others toys as well as his own!

2 Likes

A good friend would understand and offer to pay no matter what… if not, don’t have the newest toys out have old ones…

1 Like

If my son broke someone’s toy, I’d offer to pay for it, but I wouldn’t ask a friend to pay if their kid broke my son’s toy

4 Likes

3 1/2? Nope! They’re kids and that one is too young to hold accountable for breaking your kids toys. When they come over just make sure you put away the most expensive/easily broken ones. Asking for the other parent to replace them at that age is redicules! :woman_shrugging:t2: let it go.

7 Likes

You should put “special” toys away next time. This time, take it as a lesson learned and move on. You work hard to get your kids the things they have. Being that the child is 3 I’m going to assume your child is around the same age. With that being said…AS THE ADULT, YOU should have been more responsible in putting toys away you don’t want being shared or touched. Because right now the only one sounding like the child is you.

8 Likes

Lol love the replies very true but, oh well, hoity-toity , what is she implying? That at the age of three a child should be sensible enough not to break things? That the mother didn’t teach her kid how to behave,? That because it happened in her home that it’s not her responsibilities to watch the kids while they play, lol :slightly_smiling_face::laughing::joy::joy:

1 Like

If my child breaks another child’s toy then yes I would be more then happy to replace it.

5 Likes

Omggggggg​:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: really lady, it’s a toy. I bet your kid played with it once since Christmas.

2 Likes

Next time they come over, put the toys away that you would rather not get broken. I wouldn’t make your friend replace them over something she didn’t do.

5 Likes

Nothing … They’re 3.5 and it happens

3 Likes

let it go, it will cause hard feelings, just don’t invite them over again

I put special toys or new toys away to prevent this ( had this happen multiple times before and learnt MY lesson )

1 Like

Chalk it up to lessons learned .only put out a few old toys to be played with lock your child’s door .an no she’s your friend how would you feel…kids break stuff…its actually your fault

Nothing…you do nothing. It’s a toy. Stop being petty. Seriously, why is this a question? Move on…

4 Likes

Some people ask the dumbest questions…are you serious lady…

3 Likes

Seriously?? lol :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

I would feel bad too. They are toys and those are kids :woman_shrugging:

Dont ever have any other young children in your home till 12+ and even then make sure they know something breaks your parents pay. My fiance works one of the hardest laborious jobs ever and we pay for EVERYTHING my child has!! its not a big deal its toys like they have other ones theyll be fine there little they dont quite understand yet how to take care of stuff! Ridiculous Analeis Nicole Rinehart read this shit​:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Depends on if it was an accident/default of the toy or intentional

You can’t hold a 3 year old accountable for breaking a toy like that. I’m sure it wasn’t on purpose.
Might be different if it was on purpose but things get broken 🤷 can’t expect people to hand over cash if a toy gets broken at a playdate.

It’s just a toy…let it go. The 3 year old did not do it with malice🤦‍♀️

Definitely put the toys away when someone comes over that are more expensive or his favorite. I put my sons in my bedroom and lock it. He knows whatever toys are out he has to share with whoever is here an there’s a chance it will get broken.

If you fill value in certain items. Put them away when company is coming. I so all the time. I only leave items out I approve of

Omg! Accidents happen for real! Get over it and move on. Your child would have eventually broke said toy anyways. Good grief!

2 Likes

Broken toys and toddlers happen. Everybody works hard for their kid’s toys. They still get broken.:woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

If you want to keep the friend drop it and put breakable toys away when they visit… if you dont then ask but good luck on actually getting anything

1 Like

Ummmmmm kids break stuff… you don’t do anything …YOU buy your kid a new toy! Ridiculous! So u wanna start war over a toy!??

2 Likes

Like others have said… only put toys out that you don’t mind getting played with and possibly breaking.

As a mom, I will say that when people offer to let my kids use something expensive like a cellphone, tablet, etc … I always thank them for their kind gesture but tell them I couldn’t replace it if my child broke it so I rather them not give it to them… and people will either take it back or say oh don’t worry… it’s in the case and I wouldn’t make you pay or it has insurance no worries etc. and I mean anyone, grandparents, aunts uncles too because I don’t know what their financial status but I know my limits.

5 Likes

If they are important to you or them put them away before play dates otherwise an accidents an accident they are kids

5 Likes

Well these are probably not the reply’s you were expecting, lol… Personally if one of my kid’s broke another kids toy I’d more then likely offer to replace it, but I would definitely not expect or probably even accept someone bothering to replace one of my kids toys if their kid broke it… they are kids, and they are toys. It happens, and when you invite a child to play with something there’s a risk it may get broken, it’s life. Put special or expensive toys up if it’s something you’re that concerned about.

5 Likes