My husband and his dad ignored our son on his birthday: Advice?

Presumably you knew that this was going on (football game), instead of having a 5 year old play in the basement by himself, why didn’t you step up and do something fun with him while the game was on?

11 Likes

Attention all day as in like every second of the day? That’s insanity now I don’t think he should’ve been sent to the basement period but I also think u are being a bit dramatic. Also where were you when he was sent to play by himself in the basement?

3 Likes

So if you were there why did ur husband have to give him all the attention ? why couldn’t you go take him to do something when the game is over you can either both go do something or the father could go do something with him. I think you’re just as much in the wrong as the father if you knew your son was in the basement playing by himself why did you allow it why didn’t you go do something with him

5 Likes

Your a little overboard. You knew the game was going to be on so you should have planned things accordingly. Games usually come on in the afternoon, so why wasn’t something done in the morning with him. And where were you in the afternoon that you couldn’t play with him for a little while. He’s 5, he’s not going to die from not having anything between 1 and 4. Besides afterwards was still the same day

5 Likes

To be fair if you knew the football was the same day and your hubby would be watching it then maybe it would have been a good idea to be with your son on his birthday :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Ew they’re rude af I’d grant them the same for their birthdays

you’re not overreacting - This is a very tender age - core memories are made and now he has a negative one. Even if it’s not celebrated on the day showing special attention such as allowing him to play among them while they watch the football game, Demonstrate awareness and Special privilege due to the special day. Listen to your intuition, lead with your heart And you still have time to make it special. Communicate that you’d like to make it up to him since that day was quite ordinary. No I don’t mean make it up by buying expensive gifts or even gifts at all or taking him to spend money at a video game place, make it up to him with 15 minutes doing some thing he’s asked to do for the past few weeks whether that be go to the park chalk draw outside, trampoline jumping ride bicycle etc. and maybe you could end up eating at his favorite place inside not the drive-through. Men are logical sometimes they just see these things as a regular day. In my relationship my husband is the one that takes more importance and I am more on the relax side with special days as they can be celebrated whenever but I am now learning with my two kids that one must sacrifice to make sure they have the right memories :heart:

3 Likes

Y’all act like football is more important than your kids.

7 Likes

That’s better than my ex! He walked away for 21yrs and then wanted them back in his life! Didn’t work!!!

Toughen up chipmunk THIS IS FOOTBALL SEASON!

2 Likes

Seems like you could have taken your son to do something fun like the park or something while football was happening and then all celebrated together after. And no I don’t think a kids bday means they need to be the center of attention all day long.

8 Likes

You’re not overreacting, that boy wanted his Dad and grampa to celebrate his special day and they failed! Maybe next time bring him somewhere special and tell them if they want to join they can.

3 Likes

I would’ve def been upset. And I would’ve taken him to do whatever fun things he wanted to do and left the idiots at home.
Smh.

1 Like

What were YOU doing during that time? You were overreacting and it most likely wasnt thenfirst time. He wasnt ignored, you all went out afterward.

5 Likes

Don’t complain if you’re going to allow your son to be treated like less on his special day.

3 Likes

I just got paid $6458 working off my laptop this month. And if you think that’s cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over $ 12690 her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less.

This is what I do… https://NethomeJob323.pages.dev/

1 Like

I always tried making the entire birthday special but not everyone is like that. I understand you being upset BUT not everyone is like that.

Could be worse. Could say screw it and not celebrate the day he was pushed out your crotch at all :woman_shrugging:t2:
Birthdays are a waste of time and money anyways. Kids lucky.

1 Like

It was only ruined if a big ‘thing’ was made about this. Just take him somewhere until the football is over. He probably wouldn’t have even thought about it then :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Not overactive at all!

Why didn’t you take him somewhere?

2 Likes

Good lord! This wouldn’t have been such an issue if your 5 year old didn’t get the impression the entire day revolves around him from someone.

8 Likes

I just got paid $6458 working off my laptop this month. And if you think that’s cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over $ 12690 her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less.

This is what I do… https://NethomeJob336.pages.dev/

That’s just ignorant your husband should be ashamed of himself :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

This is what I do… https://NethomeJob336.pages.dev/

It’s football season if your gonna want attention do it on a non football day Tuesday Wednesday Friday.
Here’s the schedule for reference:
Monday night football
Thursday night football
Saturday college football
Sunday ALL DAY FOOTBALL 10am till bed time
Special games Thanksgiving Christmas and Bowl games.
Your son is 5? Put him on a team

6 Likes

Yes you are over reacting. Birthdays are important and you need to be celebrated but that doesn’t mean the world stops for everyone else. Please don’t set him up to think a great travesty has happened just because every moment of the day wasn’t solely about him. While I’m sure you wanted different from him it’s ok to learn to adjust to life’s circumstances and keep a good outlook. This will help him throughout life.

8 Likes

I was expecting you to finish off with, dad ruined his day, by sending kid to basement to play(which I’m assuming is normal for play time), so he’s not being loud. Durning his party🙄 Not that you got the kid expecting every minute to be all about him.
these are the kids that grown up, crying over no one throwing them a party every year.
I’ve never understood why an adult gets so upset that only a few people wished them a happy birthday, and no one wants to go out. They’re literally crying over it. And I’m sure it started as a kid.
No reason the kid should have differnt rules just for a birthday.

5 Likes

Was he upset BEFORE you made a big deal of it? Or after? Kids reflect what they see. I do believe kiddos should have a celebration on their birthday but it doesn’t mean the entire day has to be focused on the celebration. As long as he got to do something. My sons birthday usually falls on a weekday so we don’t do much for his actual day. We’re usually getting ready for a party on the weekend so we just do a quick cake and a few presents

5 Likes

No, you’re not over reacting. Grandpa and dad blew it. Instead of including the birthday boy, eating snacks together and whooping it up as a threesome they ignored him. Sorry your little guy was left out.

3 Likes

I would have been a little off put. It doesn’t sound like he had a party that needed lots of prep or had a bunch of friend over. Sounds like you just wanted 1 day of the year for the family to celebrate your child, something he was probably excited about and hyped up about. I don’t understand all the negatively surrounding celebrating your child…because I guarantee you, if this were happening on their bday, Valentine’s day, anniversary, Christmas or whatever day THEY deem important to them, they’d be pissed if they were sent to the basement and been asked to wait til someone was ready to celebrate them. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

To be ignored at such a young age by immediate family like that over a SPORTS GAME is 100% not of in my book. We put our wants to the side for our children. He turned 5 once. The sports shouldn’t have came first.

5 Likes

So nice to see that football season is more important than a kid and their birthday. So many people don’t see anything wrong with it. Like wft is wrong with them!? Pretty shitty they couldn’t involve the kid with watching football with them!? No way I’m hell I’d let it happen.

I just had my 37th birthday this weekend myself :pensive:. My parents and 4 siblings never call come over unless they need money for their addiction or place to crash. Since a child and teenager I was never acknowledge because I am the middle child I was always left out of everything. I’m 1 out of 7 that made it out not addicted to illicit drugs and stopped helping a long time ago. I would be upset too :disappointed:. No you’re not overreacting I would sit down with both of them let them know that this is not okay he will remember this and will only feel down about himself and resent his father and grandfather. 

1 Like

I wonder if your son’s disappointment is a reflection of your own. Did you offer to play with him in the basement , take him on a walk or watch a movie with him?

4 Likes

Hum! Agree & Disagree? It should have been balanced not just a women’s responsibility to entertain the son while the men watched football ! Just saying!

Disappointments come from expectations. When I was growing up my Mom had cake or some special meal and I was acknowledged, as was the custom for everyone in the family. I have no expectation of an all day celebration or attention on my “special day”?! If someone told this child he had been mistreated or slighted, he will feel mistreated or slighted. If anything happens now at 83 on my birthday, I’m thankful, if not I figure everyone had something else on their mind. Another thing as I’ve gotten older and made a big day for my grandmother on her 80th, also my mother on her 80th. I sailed right through 80 and no special day for me. Well, I just figure I’m loved but I don’t appear to be 80. Life goes on!

2 Likes

Well,when their birthdays come ,no time spent and the smallest ugliest cake I can find for them and I am taking my son out to eat on their birthday and do something he wants to do!!!

Yes, you’re over reacting

1 Like

If you teach your child they should have everyone’s attention ALL DAY just because it’s their birthday, you’re going to have bigger problems than this. If he actively ignored your child all day, that’s would be different.

2 Likes

Football was more important than his birthday plain and simple. He only has one birthday year.How maybe football games come on in a year. They showed their priorities straight up.

1 Like

My oldest didn’t even get a first birthday party we couldn’t afford it so ne an his dad watched his favorite movies with him an cooked his favorite food then his dad played video games after the movies an me an my son wrnt in living room but I didn’t make a big deal out of it an neither did my child

No wonder kids grow up expecting the world owes them everything

6 Likes

I would have been mad 100%. They definitely should have included him at least. It’s his birthday and kids have valid feelings too.

1 Like

Tbh… It’s a lil sad but he was still celebrated. Growing up it didn’t matter to me who paid attention as long as I got cake. Now as an adult , i even work on my bday n get together for cake.

I would of cut the power. Went down and hit the fuse switch. Absolutely unexceptable. So sorry you had to go through that. I would of been soooo loud. Vacuuming. Blasting music. I’m sorry but you do not need sound for football.

What were you doing? Could you have made his day better? I’d be a little upset just for the fact he made the child go to the basement. He could have Stayed in the room. It’s just football. But if you celebrated later then that should suffice. Would you have been as mad if his dad had to work versus just watching the game? Realistically your son isn’t going to have every birthday be an all day celebration for him. And if you do, man is he going to be a disappointed adult. :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

While it was an a$$hole move of them… why didn’t you take your son to do something with him while they were being :eggplant:’s? Where was your part in his day? And after 5 years you didn’t know this about your husband? I’m not saying you aren’t wrong to be upset, but I am saying take some accountability. You married that man and I don’t think him pushing everything aside for football just happened that one day. So why be so upset that your priorities don’t match like it was out of the blue? But you want to manipulate him by guilting the fact that it was y’all’s son’s bday? Why didn’t you discuss it ahead of time and plan accordingly?

3 Likes

They could always record the game or watch another time… yet your son only has one 5th birthday and the day should have been focused on him so completely understand why your annoyed and certainly not over reacting x

1 Like

Him turning 5 years old all eyes should have been on him !! Family is more important than a football game them football players don’t give a shit about you but your family will always be there for you, , with that said you think any football players going to push you in a wheelchair when you get old. I think not!

I’d be pissed any other day w.e but his birthday pshhhhh okay id break the TV and cancel football

3 Likes

To me I think turning 5 is big one :thinking: so like 5, 10 ,13, 16 thats how I was with my 4 kids :t_rex: they are all grown now kids only get one day to celebrate their special day it should be all about the kids in my opinion… plus if dad and grandpa busy I would of took my kid out for the day and had lots of funnnnnn :ice_cream::lollipop::cupcake::cake::birthday:

3 Likes

Where were you? Why couldn’t you give him the attention you wanted him to have until after the game? I’m very confused as to how they ruined the day if they took him out after? I mean I can understand being upset if they ignored him the entire day. But you didn’t have a party or plans so it’s hard to fill an entire day with doing stuff. Especially for a dad. You need to be happy his dad is in his life and doing stuff with him. I mean it seems like you aren’t from your post.

5 Likes

Tell the dad he is a jerk. Should of made his son priority. 

2 Likes

Yes, big time over reacting! the child doesn’t need 100% of everyone’s attention all day long. This is not how the real world functions. You all did something together after the games.

8 Likes

If the activity to celebrate his birthday was scheduled and done at a specific time why should everyone have to give the birthday child continual for the whole day.

3 Likes

So what did you plan for him on his day? Why couldn’t you play with him for 3 hrs?

3 Likes

Just don’t discuss this in front of your son. Whatever you do. Don’t talk about this with or in front of that kid. If the basement is a room he usually plays in and he went out later to be celebrated then I think you’re over reacting some. However sometimes we can’t control our feelings. Don’t make a big deal out of this in front of your kid, and it won’t be a big deal! I’m sure he’s already over it and had a great night for his birthday.

2 Likes

When I was growing up, there were a lot of kids who had really big birthday parties, inviting all the kids in their class to come and celebrate with party games, fancy bakery cakes, etc. I was never permitted to go. Our family never did fancy birthday parties. The birthday girl got to choose the color of icing on the boxed devil’s food cake baked for the occasion and blow out the candles on her cake as her family sang “Happy Birthday” to her. Then the cake was cut and served with ice cream. Afterwards, she opened her birthday presents and thanked the givers very politely. That was all she wrote! No extravagant gifts or games!

3 Likes

You could of taken him somewhere while they were watching FB.

4 Likes

Not at all. Completely rude.

You should’ve sent those two guys off to a bar they want to watch football let them watch football in a bar

2 Likes

This would be a great learning piece you don’t always get what you want :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Oh, you are going to have so many disappointments in life if you let this upset you.this was a good compromise for a 5 year old. Focus on the good time of the day.

2 Likes

They SHOULD have included him in wT hing tge game, teaching him about it as it was happening so that he would learn and grow to enjoy WITH them, regardless of the day of the year. Now he has learned that a stupid, pointless game takes precedence over him. That it was his birthday just adds to the hurt.
You as his mama should have taken him to the park or something he likes to do instead of fuming and fussing over the spouse and his father watching a stupid sports game. Then all proceeded to the planned activity.

I never had birthdays or parties or 100% of anyone’s attention on my birthdays as a kid. I got $25. I lived. A lot of kids have it worse. He won’t remember this single birthday. Everyone will live.

2 Likes

Yes overreacting a bit, but it wasn’t ok for dad to just shoo him away either. I get he wanted to watch the game. That’s fine, but maybe be nicer about it, and maybe either include the boy in the game watching- sit him on his lap and explain what’s going on so it could get him interested in the sport too, or explain to him that he will get to play and have fun after this is over and celebrate his day. Life doesn’t stop just because it’s someone’s birthday, but it could’ve been handled a little better and kinder. :two_hearts:

Just plan better… ffs first world problem much? Plan a party around football and everyone is happy… wow parenting is tough

1 Like

Damn the comments :flushed: honestly I would have just taken him out myself or spent time with him, them kicking him out of the living room wasn’t right though, I would be pissed at that. I’d share my feelings with them about how they handled that but I also would have not let it get to the point where his entire day was ruined… the minute they kicked him out of the living room I would have got my keys and said let’s go kiddo, we’re gonna go out for the day! :woman_shrugging:t2: screw them! :joy:… I feel your frustration though and I don’t think you are over reacting, you on your own could have made his day better though.

unpopular opinion, i’d be PISSED. he’s 5, it’s not like he’s a baby. grandpa, not his responsibility, but dad? come on. i’d have at him.

2 Likes

Just plan out another birthday for him. He would love that.

Shame on Dad and Grandpa!!!

1 Like

I am in between … if it was only one game, let it go. If it was all day and they ignored him…thats difficult for a 5 yr old to understand if they expected the attention.

1 Like

I’d just be petty and treat the same way on their birthdays.

It’s okay to be pissed about it but then again are they people who treat birthdays the same way all the time? Maybe it’s not a big deal in their minds. My family takes birthdays really serious but my fiancé s family will say happy birthday and maybe a dinner if they have time that day to all get together. (Kids are different though they are spoiled cause they only have two now.)

I always feel sorry for wedding parties when people watch the game on their phones at wedding receptions. But they do…… people even plan their marriages for an off week. So, not shocked when a dad and grandpa watch a game at home before they celebrate the 5 year old birthday……Yes, I think you are over reacting.

I mean it was the first kick off of the season … it was a big day. Obviously you know your husband better than any of us. Like I know to never plan anything on Sunday’s, unless it’s like spaghetti dinner with sports on in the background, everyone eats in the living room, it’s really loud, and for some reason they seem to love it. We do birthday celebrations on Saturdays normally bc the next day is a school day and work day (not bc of football) we typically don’t run into this issue bc of that.

That’s really a shitty thing to do anyone, let alone a 5 year old. Seriously shitty.

And that’s when the tv gets tossed outside :blush:

1 Like

No over acting a birthday for a five yr old is special and the dad should of grow up

3 Likes

So many effed up adults that came from being raised by some really effed up parents claiming…I had it worse or it was the same for me and I lived through it. I’m fine. Are you? Are you really cause it does not look like it. Then folks cry…but look at the world we live in!!! Well gee…how do you think that has happened? Maybe by ignoring the fact that kids think like kids and they are people too? “I StILl DoNt DO AnYtHiNg SpEcIaL FoR My BiRtHdaY AnD No OnE ElSe DoEs EiThEr FoR Me.”. Wow…why tf not? That’s just sad. Like why not celebrate the day you came into this world and how far you’ve made it? Your life is a gift, why not celebrate? A 5 year old even. That’s just heartbreaking. In my family…we celebrate by making a special breakfast picked by the person whose birthday it is. Then we do things here and there birthday person’s choice. Then either a dinner cooked specified by the birthday person or go out birthday person’s choice. Sometimes a small late party with family and friends with a cook out and a piñata and yes…even for adults. I would be pissed if it were my child. Record the game or something. It’s just a game. Thank goodness I’m with a man who is not a sports fan…just because the world will shove shit down your throat and beat the crap out of you, it doesn’t mean your family and friends should be allowed to as well. They are supposed to be your safe space where you can feel like you can escape the shitty world out there. :woman_facepalming: so many older folks crying now their family, kids mainly, abandon them and they are looking at being abandoned in some nursing home…I wonder why…

You wanted the ENTIRE day centered around him?? That’s a bit much! It sounds like you are teaching him to be self-centered and you probably made a big deal of it in front of him and made him feel sad. I’m assuming he had a birthday cake and presents and he even went out after the ball game. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Why not just plan his birthday party for a day that is not the day that your husband obviously hast to watch his preciousfootball lol… makes a lot more sense to plan a birthday party even if it’s not on the actual birthday most kids don’t really care about the actual day of the month as long as there’s a birthday party.  my kids never care what day their birthday party is in the month of the birthday as long as they have a birthday party. Most people don’t have their kids birthdays on their exact birthday due other to things anyways. Most men don’t really care about holidays birthdays anything like that lol I would like to say this is shocking or surprising but it’s not

3 Likes

Hi, born on the Super Bowl, in the city of one of the playing teams. I hate football :green_heart: with a deep passion. My 7th birthday fell on another Super Bowl when the same losing a$$ team lost to the same team, again. I celebrated hard core when they finally moved the Super Bowl to the first Sunday in February instead of last one in January.

Screw Dad and Grandpa. If anything, they could have taken the time to share their love of the game with the boy. But to lock him out all day? Despicable.

My bad side says pay evil for evil, but that’s probably not a good idea. But those grown men co ui ld have recorded that game and hung out with their family

4 Likes

Well obviously football comes before his son. Good to see he has his priorities in order. What an idiot.

6 Likes

Nah sis, go off !!! I’m mad for you . That’s absolutely ridiculous idgaf they are some grown ass men and that is such asshole behavior. Neither of their birthdays would ever be celebrated again in my home and I’d take that baby and spoil the fuck out of him . Make sure he knows what they did was wrong and teach him how you’re really supposed to celebrate his beautiful life.
Those disgusting examples of men would be out . Fuck that and no igaf what anyone says .

Jerks both of them,he’ll never be 5 again but he’ll remember his 5th birthday

1 Like

that sends a really bad message to your son, sure hope his father sees that, and grandfather, shame on them

1 Like

I think there’s a question of priorities. I’d be furious. Yes I make my child’s birthday centered around my child the entire day. I understand if you celebrate the child and then accommodate football plans of your spouse afterwards. But from what you posted the tv would be on the lawn. It tells the child sports before them. Heck no. Be furious!

1 Like

Children come before anyones selfish needs, bad parenting on his part!!! NO, you are not over reacting.

You are very special to me sweet lady

What’s wrong with saying, “Son, after the ballgame, we are going to celebrate your birthday, today.” He would have looked forward to it.

1 Like

Record the game watch it later

yes i think u are - it maybe your son’s 5th b-day - but u could of explained to him that grandpa and daddy are watching a football game together , and it just so happened to fall on your birthday - but mom u could of done some fun things with him - like go to park go to kiddie’s pool -weather depending of course- and explained to him that after the football game u all where going to go out for his birthday !that’s what u could of done! instead of moaning and complaining about it!

1 Like

That’s weird every little thing doesn’t have to be about him on his birthday and you’re teaching him to have that mind set for when he gets older… what were you doing when his dad was watching the game?? You said he was playing in the living room so you think they were suppose to just sit there and watch him talk to him what? While he played? Why couldn’t you take that time to have time with him and do something with him just you two.

No you are not, your husband and grandpa are into them selves, children are only children once the games will always be around, your husband owes your son and you and I’m sorry and it will never happen again

No excuse for their actions. None but selfishness