My husband and I are looking to travel...advice?

My husband and I are planning to celebrate our anniversary with a week to ourselves. We’re unsure where to go, but we can either travel in September or November. Any suggestions for destinations, both within the US and abroad?

4 Likes

Do you want a relaxing or a sightseeing trip? Budget? Is Club Med still around? Could be fun.

I’ve heard Sedona, AZ is magical. You could renew your vows at the chapel of the Holy Cross built into the rock. If the weather’s nice West Virginia has some lovely resorts for hiking, boating, kayaking, rafting, birdwatching, massages, etc. Chicago is a great art city. Washington, DC has history, museums and vibrant dining and drinking options. Greater Northern Virginia has tons of wineries, an “ale trail”, the Blue Ridge Mountains and Skyline Drive. Savannah, GA is romantic and scenic.

New Orleans is good for fun, food, sightseeing as long as it’s not too hot & humid. We stayed at a ranch near Bandera, Texas, the “Cowboy Capital,” and had fun, but that might fit more for family. San Antonio is lovely when it’s not too hot, and the River Walk is romantic.

San Diego and San Francisco are lovely, and Napa Valley is famous for its wineries. Maine is cool in the summer and billed as “Vacationland.” It would work for September but might be chilly in November. Lots of places, but I enjoyed Boothbay Harbor, Maine for its artsy vibe. St. Louis can be fun with its preserved Union Station with restaurants and an Art Deco bar, Gateway Arch and famous zoo.

New Mexico has Santa Fe, pueblos, Bandelier National Monument with Anasazi cave dwellings and interpretive trails, Taos, and Los Alamos labs & Roswell if that interests you.

In Canada, Montreal is fun, Newfoundland is quiet and scenic, British Columbia has beautiful scenery. Paris, France is the classic, but I’d recommend other cities to avoid some of the crowds. Each province has its own charms, cuisine, attractions and history. Take a river cruise to visit castles. The Caribbean has lots of romantic destinations and is nice year ‘round. You could do a cruise—some are adults only if that’s what you’d prefer.

What state are you in now? What states have you been to?

Use a travel agent -it is a FREE service - I am a little biased but I recommend Travelmation-Chris Barnes:) We are going to celebrate my 60th with a Hawaiian Cruise.

My husband and I are going on a cruise. We found it is the biggest bang for our buck.