My husband and kids have been denying what I make for dinner...advice?

Lately my kids & husband haven’t wanted what I fix for dinner. It really hurts my feelings. I cook & they will say they weren’t craving that, they didn’t want it, etc. It makes me not want to cook at all. If it was just my kids I would say too bad but it’s my husband too. Any advice?

15 Likes

My oldest is so picky too and I give in I ask them what they want or plan the weekly daily with them!
People saying then they can starve but my kiddo won’t starve he will leave off Cup of Soups and cereal and Mac and Cheese and scramble Eggs and he needs to eat! If you need to learn to cook better recipes I was look at recipes online and I love my instant pot snd crock pot meals so much easier!

Let them cook or starve…

Tell your husband too bad and make his own meal lol. I’ve been dealing with the same. My kids are at a stage where they can cook for themselves. So if they really don’t want it, it’s fend for yourself then.

They can cook for themselves. Your husband should be able to and depending on the ages of the kids they can help plan and make a meal. Maybe that will change their attitudes maybe either appreciate what you do or maybe they will take that chore over themselves.

Discuss options for dinner a week at a time. We do a week menu and then I decide which night I feel like cooking what is on the list. But also if I go through the effort to cook and you don’t eat that is all there is to eat even for my husband. He can also help out with cooking so they get what they want.

2 Likes

A few things. First of all he can cook dinner sometimes too. Secondly, I usually discuss dinners for the week the Friday before so I can get groceries for the week on Saturday. After talking to them if they still don’t want it, tough. Also at my house my kids are old enough that at least twice a week I do fend for yourself night and have burritos, frozen pizza, hot pockets, stuff for sandwiches ect on hand. (My kids are 15 and 17 though).

3 Likes

I would still tell my husband eat it or a bowl of cereal. Or he could cook. I have 4 kids that are thankfully not picky either is my husband. But if they like what you cooked. Idk if they didn’t cave it or in the mood. Eat up.

My lady of 42 years has a simple rule, I fix it, you eat it or do without. She rocks.

1 Like

Ask them. We discuss what we are gonna have for dinner and for the most part no complaints!

1 Like

Does he know how to cook!

I always include my husband in what I’m cooking for dinner. I’ll say does “meatloaf sound good?” If he says no I’ll figure out something else or he will say what sounds good to him. As often as possible I try to make what I know my kids will like or include something that they will like. If they don’t want it I make them a sandwich or they make microwave Mac m cheese or something

1 Like

I also ask what everyone wants for dinner. I give 2 choices to choose from. Sometimes 3. I also choose things I know everyone likes. I also meal plan and ask what everyone might want. It’s okay for them to not want it or like it. But you should also be asking what they would like.

2 Likes

menu plan ahead with them. then they know what’s coming.

Simple solution have everyone give you a six week menu

My best advice, OUIT Cooking

1 Like

I stopped cooking…everybody makes their own now if they are hungry, I got tired of wasting my time and the food. When I hear complaint of hunger while they cook I pop off maybe wouldn’t have to wait if wasn’t so ungrateful went that way for a good while…I can cook dinners now and they eat!

Either eat what I cook, or don’t eat. :woman_shrugging: Seriously though, my husband and I always talk about what we want for dinner throughout the week and that’s what I’ll buy groceries for. And there’s a night or two he’ll cook instead of me. The kids may or may not have input, depends on if they’re around when we’re talking about it.

If you just cook one person meals for yourself as many are suggesting does that mean your kids and husband get to live on pizza and hot pockets? junk food bonding for them and you can eat healthy

Stop cooking anything! Let hubby fix dinner since they have similar tastes!

2 Likes

Don’t cook… make what you want for you. Make it Ffys night. Fend for your self…

Don’t cook let them cook what they want and clean up the kitchen after…

Don’t take it out on the kids, they eat what you make. Your kids could help you in the kitchen so they know how hard you work to make their food and also get excited about eating what they made. Your husband can cook his own food.

3 Likes

Make your husband cook for them then. Just cook for yourself.

Tell the husband that dinner will be his duty from now on

I’d quit cooking dinner for them, just cook enough for myself and tell them they are on their own.

35 Likes

Don’t cook. My kids constantly complained about my food so I stopped cooking. It’s been a few months and I’ve slowly started back up and they “love” everything I make :joy:

5 Likes

Thats why i do not cook anymore

Lol I would also tell your husband ‘too bad’. I would stop cooking and see how they all like it. Maybe your husband can step up and cook since he wants to be picky :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Why would you not treat your husband the same way you would the kids in this situation? Tell them all too bad.

3 Likes

If your husband wants to act like a child, tell him tough cookies, just like you would your kids.
Make him do all the meal planning, prep, cooking, and shopping from now on.

28 Likes

Hand them a calendar tell them to write what they want…if they complain about what they picked go on strike and let them figure it out themselves

4 Likes

Never become a short order cook. They eat what you cook or go hungry until the next meal.

Stick with ‘too bad’. You’re not a short order cook. Stop allowing it or stop cooking. Teach them to appreciate what they have.

2 Likes

Tell them to start doing the cooking. Quit cooking for them.

1 Like

If they don’t like what you cook,if your kids are older than 7-8 ,have them or your husband fix dinner a couple days a week, but tell them, they have to clean up afterwards.just an idea

Ask them all to give you for suggestions. And do one for each of them during the week. And one day for what you want then one day eating out draw straws or better yet one time your turn, next time husbands turn, the oldest child on down. If that doesn’t work, tell them to cook dinner taking turns starting with hubby, then kids according to age.

Stop cooking it will only take a few days and they will be begging you to cook. I know because I done this. They made me feel unappreciated and disrespected me. They have never done it again.

2 Likes

Let them make their own then they will eat your cooking.

Either stop cooking for them or ask them what they want that day.

1 Like

Too bad for all of them :flushed:

1 Like

Buy frozen dinners, cereal and stuff for sandwiches. Tell them there’s stuff where they can make their own dinner. :woman_shrugging:

12 Likes

I would legit never cook for them again. I mean, they see you cooking. No one thinks to tell you while they’re watching you cook that they don’t want that? Do you all have conversations like “what do you want for dinner?” Your husband should be ashamed acting like a child and setting a poor example for your children. So many households don’t have a parent that even cooks dinners.

They got three choices,1- eat what you cook 2- cook your own or 3- go hungry … otherwise you don’t want to hear it …

14 Likes

Yeh tell them to cook their own or just cook for ur self bet they will soon eat it hen their hungry

1 Like

Time for hubby to cook for himself & his kids.

I ask for suggestions…I consider the requests but adjust to what my day is like and what I have time/money for that day…if you don’t want what I cook that’s fine but you’ll need to make something else for yourself and clean up your mess…

Sounds like he just picked up cooking duty then! Stop cooking them anything.

Before you ask what they feel like eating. You have in the house already what they like to eat

Eat or get off the table! Not so hard!

Tell your kids that it’s what’s for dinner. Eat it or be hungry. Complain, you can leave the table. Be thankful for what you’re getting.
As for your husband, make him make his own dinner.
I’m not someone who tolerates bullshit like that. Eat what your given and don’t bitch or eat nothing. End of story

Let them cook their own. Especially the overgrown whiny couple hundred pounds of useless weight.

I’d be more concerned about the kids, he’s an adult…

1 Like

You eat or you die of starvation no alternative

Stop cooking !!!
You cook , tell them that is Oky , but that you will not cook again until they eat what you made , they can have it for breakfast and lunch for the next day
And stick to your word

Say too bad to all of them. Stop cooking if they don’t appreciate it. Let hubby start cooking. See how that goes

Then I guess they can shop and cook for themselves.

stop cooking.
Make a schedule with meals, let them know what will be on what day, they can ask for something different or change their mind, etc, and you can make what you have the ingredients for. After you’ve already cooked, they either eat that or do their own shit.
and if it happens a few more times, stop cooking. for them. that tune will change when they gotta figure it out themselves instead of depending on you and rejecting you every time. They’ll either appreciate the work that’s gone into it, eat what’s there, or they do it themselves.

The kids are just following his ignorance

I usually give my husband options and he picks from those.

Yes.
Have them create the meal plan and cook.
Do it like a one week challenge.
:two_hearts:

Start a suggestion board for dinner? Or even have each member pick a meal for certain nights.

So you allow your husband to treat you like a doormat? I wouldn’t be bothered. They can find something they can cook themselves.

1 Like

I plan my meals for the week with my husband. We discuss what sounds good for the week before I make a store run, that way he has the opportunity to tell me what he may or may not be wanting!

I would stop cooking dinner and see how they like that. I did that for a week and my family stopped being picky

Lol my kids come before my husband!! He would get the too bad before my kids too!!!

I would quit cooking honestly. They can eat cereal, sandwiches, can food, frozen dinners or cook themselves. As long as they’re eating they’ll be fine. Enjoy the break mama.

Hell no you get what you get honestly I’d tell my husband don’t want my cooking then make it yourself because I’m only cooking for myself :person_shrugging:

Um let your husband figure dinner out. I’d tell him straight up well since you all hate what I make for dinner then you can fix dinner for yourself and the kids.

Ummm then your husband can cook for himself. That’s so childish of him!

The only thing I would do is maybe get their input on a weekly meal plan. If they help with that and still don’t want it, they don’t have to eat or they can make their own food. You are not a catering service.

You’re doing a cook job. If they don’t eat it break it out again tomorrow night for dinner

Tell the husband to cook. Tell him if he has the money he can buy the family something cooked to eat. Don’t feel bad, mama. I know plenty that don’t cook. When I was growing up I had no choice and ate what we had to eat.

Make him cook n deal with it that simple. You eat what I cook or you starve at my house. I will let them have input prior to cooking occasionally but that’s it.