My husband doesn't spend time with our 10-week-old: Thoughts?

Uhm…if he doesn’t like babies, why did he help make one? :face_with_monocle::face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

I went through the same thing. He would say the same thing-“I’m not good with the baby stage”. It used to piss me off. But, as she got older she would scream for mommy for hours…and I reminded him that he didn’t build a bond early enough. I felt like a single mother (and threw that in his face every day). Now that she’s 5-she’s a total daddy’s girl…almost makes me jealous :rofl:
Moral of the story-enjoy being her number 1 while it lasts and make the best of it. Good luck, mommy :heart:

4 Likes

These people saying leave…some men just arent good with tiny ones. Doesnt mean he doesn’t love his son or that he wont be a fantastic dad. Give him time. Not everyone is good with infants, especially tiny ones

5 Likes

Most men will flee from a baby out of fear …it doesn’t mean he doesn’t love him give it time…never be jealous of another child thats shameful …

1 Like

10 weeks is still kinda brand new let him be he maybe feels more comfortable when they are older.

FORCE HIM TO DO IT. When he gets home grab your purse and head to target for an hour, make him take the baby on walks on the weekends, etc. He’s not going to magically turn into the idea of a daddy that you’ve had in your head. He’s already made up his mind he “doesn’t like babies”, even his own son! So make him spend time and bond or resign yourself to being sad and resentful for the next couple years until the kid gets to an age dad likes.

3 Likes

“I feel like a single parent” - the theme song of almost every first time mom

7 Likes

wear condoms from now on.

1 Like

Wow i don’t know what to say to this … I have never gone through it my husband helped an bonded from the time of conception we were 19 an 20 i suppose if maybe if his parents would of shared an showed him every guy is different even woman i read some in your comment section some moms didn’t like it so i would give some more time i just can’t imagine anyone not wanting to hold a brand new baby doesn’t mean they aren’t loveing it is a new thing also wish you the answer

My boyfriend was like that at first and our son is now almost 2 and plays with him all day everyday! Its just your babys so young I think he doesnt know what to do with him, show him how a mirror reaction to a baby, make your baby dance gently, try to include him in fun and funny times :slight_smile:

1 Like

My SO doesn’t like babies either. He didn’t really interact with our daughter for the first few months. Now shes 3 and she’s his whole world. He did the same with my son. He’s just turned 1 and my SO is finally starting to interact with him.

2 Likes

Men are different to us, Don’t minimise how he feels, he’s told you he doesn’t like babies, Not that he doesn’t love his son. Sometimes it can take until bub is more interactive for them to really find joy in them, It doesn’t mean he doesn’t love his child, It’s just different. He isn’t you and he isn’t going to react or emote the way you do.

You see what type of parent he is with his daughter, So you know it’s there, And it will be for your son as well, Babies can be pretty boring initially.

That said I would still encourage some time for him and bub alone, As others have mentioned, Nip out and leave him with bub here and there so he can gain some confidence with bub.

Also was baby planned? Did he want another?

Get rid of spouse, it will get worse.
No love or compassion

1 Like

According to my dad he barely partook when I was a baby but he’s the best man I’ve ever met. Not all guys dig babies. You had months of bonding with your baby. He’s just now meeting him/her, give it time. Also, I can promise you you have NO idea the single mom life… just cuz your partner isn’t interactive, that’s no comparison.

Lots of men will do more with a child when is up and active usually about 10 months to 12 months old, this is natural men do not know what to do with the lump of a baby, that’s why we have the nurturing instinct and take care of them and men do not. Do not hold it against your husband or you will make him build walls

Don’t push it. The baby will not remember this any of this. If you push your husband it could breed resentment from him towards you and the baby. Which is unhealthy, and in the long run WILL cause problems. Let him have space. Unless you need him to help you with taking care of the baby, do not force it. He will come to once he is ready. Usually men like it when babies are more active and can do more than lay there, eat and defecate.
If you are bothered by the fact that he shows greater love for his daughter you should speak up. It may be because it is his first born, his daughter, which if we know anything about daddy’s it’s that they live their daughters. I doubt he is trying to hurt you.
Speak up if your hurting, but don’t push him to spend more time than he necessarily wants to right now with the baby. He will likely come around if you give him space. Good luck.

Tell him it doesn’t matter whether he likes babies or not. He helped make the baby and he will help you take care of it… Or else! That means spending more than 15 minutes a night. You’re a team, it’s not fair for you to do it all.

1 Like

When the baby can recognize him and interact with him, most likely he will change his attitude toward him. But he does need to give you a break and attempt to bond with baby

My so was very nervous, with all 3. His reasoning was they are so tiny and fragile. Our lo is 13 months now and they are glued together. Give him some time to adjust.

My husband bonded with our daughter immediately but with our son it was about 6 months. Not sure why and it was very frustrating but it eventually came, especially when our son began to know and recognize him. If he’s already a good father, I’d just give it time

Let him be don’t force him

Stop saying my son and say our son instead. Some men are truly uncomfortable with tiny babies. So don’t force it. If you need help then he should being doing that. He needs to take his turn getting up in the middle to change a diaper.

Dont hold it against him! This is why men and women will never be equal because we are different in every way. I’m not saying fathers are not capable of being loving but we are obviously more loving and motherly. Not all men, but most are just not affectionate. My hubby was also sorta like that when our first child was born but he’s a great dad who spoils the heck out of them! You’ll be fine your emotions are still everywhere but dont doubt your husbands love for his child.

:grimacing: Sounds like a trash can ngl. Everyone saying it’s normal for fathers not wanting anything to do with their kids, I sincerely feel bad for you…

If you feel like a single parent you might as well be one I’d kick his ass to the curb