My Husband Left Our Baby Home Alone: Advice?

This question was submitted to our community via our Facebook page and/or our Answers forum. Responses are also taken from the community. If you have your own parenting or relationship question you would like answers to, submit on Facebook or Answers.

QUESTION:

"I need help. Can you please post this anonymously? I went out last night for a few hours to get drinks with my girlfriends. I’m a stay at home mom so I don’t get out much. My husband said he would watch our kids, A two and a half year old and a 4 month old. The plan was that my that my husband was going to drive me there and bring the kids to pick me up when I was done. At around 11 o’clock I called him to pick me up. The bar is about 20 minutes away from our house. When he showed up he only had our two year old. When I asked where my baby was he said he left him home sleeping. I was LIVID! I asked why he would even think that was okay and he got mad at me and told me he didn’t do anything wrong and I was being ungrateful that he watched our kids for me and now i was getting mad at him for leaving our sleeping son at home.

When I told him no one would think that was okay he said “thank you for your opinion” and I just stayed silent the rest of the car ride home and ran inside when he got home and our son was sleeping on the bed. He was fine but STILL! I’ve had issues with him before. I’ve had to literally have arguments with him about cutting grapes for our daughter when she was 1 instead of giving them to her whole. It made me scared to leave him alone with her because I was afraid I’d get a call that she choked to death. He has no logic or awareness with our children safety which is a reason I haven’t gotten a night job. I literally do not trust him with our kids. And whenever I approach him about it he turns it around on me and gets mad. But this issue last night really freaked me out and I need to know if I’m over reacting or not. We haven’t spoken today. And I’m not sure what to do. He’s 42 years old too so he doesn’t have the excuse of age and ignorance. I just need help….i feel like I can’t ever leave my kids with him. Am I over reacting?"

RELATED: When a Granddaughter Told Her Grandma Her Husband Cheated on Her, She Had Some Sage Advice We All Need to Hear

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

The following top answers have been selected by a moderator from hundreds of responses to the original question.

“Thats an absolute no. And if you allow it to possibly happen again, the court will see you as a danger too.”

“You aren’t overreacting. What he did is actually illegal.”

“He could most definitely get a neglect charge and lose his rights doing that stuff. He’s in the wrong and if you don’t trust him with your kids, then you should not be with him.”

“No your not. I would be furious. Anything could have happened while y’all were gone.”

“Um the house could’ve burned to the ground with your baby inside. Someone could’ve broken in and kidnapped the baby. Your husband is in the wrong. You never leave a child home alone no matter the reason.”

“That’s so wrong …omg… I’d snap… Anything can happen in 40 mins … Wow… And plus that’s illegal isn’t it.”

“Nope not ok. You would lose your children if anything happened. Sole custody, supervised visits, only. Try and get proof of these things… via text or note, etc.”

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW: