My husband named our daughter after his ex

What is the process of getting a childs name changed? I just found out my husband chose a name for our daughter that was his exes name…I am livid…he sees nothign wrong with this but I feel betrayed

138 Likes

Wow that is so disrespectful all theses “woman” laughing at you really wouldn’t find it funny if they were in your shoes, personally my relationship would end over that and 100% I would be changing my child’s name, doesn’t matter if you liked the name before you knew why he picked it, choosing a child’s name should have important meaning to the parents, how would he have felt if you’d had a son and named him after your favourite ex? I knew a guy that named his daughter after his affair partner because he kept almost slipping up around his wife.

8 Likes

My guess is that, you didn’t know he had an ex that name and have just recently found out?? What if he liked the name just because it was a pretty name with no meaning??

1 Like

Did he choose it bcux it was his ex*s name or did he choose it bcux he actually liked the name but unfortunately is an ex

Ether way I believe miffed but depending which is which and also how old little one is x

2 Likes

I’m named after my dads Ex

File for a change with courts. Make sure he knows your upset and make him suffer til he agrees to change .

1 Like

I believe you have a certain amount of time to change it freely (it’d be before you got her social card) but regardless you’ll need his approval if he’s on the birth certificate

7 Likes

I assume all states are different. Mine just request it online through the states website.

If we’d excluded all my exes when choosing a name it would’ve really limited the field :joy:. “A name” suggests it’s a middle one. My DH knew all of my exes names before we got married. Surely you would’ve known that before naming the child at least? Or if someone hasn’t pointed it out before now, she clearly wasn’t significant enough in his life for anyone else to notice.

9 Likes

Shovel tarp tape…seriously ik all my hubby’s exs names but If I didn’t and I found out I would be piiissed. If he didn’t agree to a name change immediately i would be filing for divorce.

10 Likes

This is gonna make for an interesting story whenyour daughter is an adult. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

You carried her for 9 months and you let him name her. Sounds like you might as well just keep the name at this point unless he named her when you were sleeping

10 Likes

I would be so upset ! Sorry momma’s! Go to your local courthouse and ask what their rules and stipulations are and go from there!

My ex husband named his first daughter after “the most beautiful girl he went to school with” that was not his first ex wife!!! I at that time was trying to pick a name for my daughter and told him his opinion didn’t count cause I wasn’t naming my baby after any female he thought was beautiful. So my dad named my daughter.

9 Likes

Hmm Your poor daughter is stuck in the middle (Not a good place to be!)
If/when she finds out about this, what is it going to do to her (no current age given)….

He named your daughter? You didn’t have a say in naming her ?

2 Likes

Sweetie at the end of the day
Its just a name
I’m confused
Is your little one a toddler
Or a baby
If it’s a toddler why change it especially if he/she can reconize the name
If it’s a new born just use the child’s middle name
Please don’t turn your issues into
More then it is

You will need money for the paperwork and his approval

5 Likes

If the child is under a year, I believe in some places you could still change it

1 Like

LOL, I don’t understand why it bothers you so much, that you will change her name! Obviously, he just thought it was a nice name, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Grow up mentally, and stop making your emotions come from jealousy.

12 Likes

How old is the child? If we are taking about a 5,6,7 year old or older, that’s awful. Thats her identity now, and to change it because of jealousy over an old ex is crazy.

4 Likes

Yep. Here in SC he has to agree if he’s on the birth certificate.

1 Like

My nephew shares the same name as my daughter’s dad. He(nephew) obviously came after and I thought it was so weird etc that she’d do that but whatever. This child sounds a little like a token within a game.

Get rid of the husband

4 Likes

Ok I’m confused you said child’s name…like not an infant? How old? It’s one thing if your child doesn’t know their name yet but it’s absolutely ridiculous if they are several years old and respond to their name. The situation is bs he’s 100% wrong but why are you trying to make your child pay cause her dad’s a jerk? You need to be realistic and step out of those emotions before you do something you will regret later

31 Likes

As in a high school romance ex or a long term partner ex prior to you? And you obviously previously liked the name I assume, so if the former then I’d just deal :woman_shrugging:

It may vary by state but in IL they misspelled my daughter’s name and when I went to pick up the birth certificate I told them and they gave me a form to fill out with the correct name I could of changed it to something else but I just fixed the spelling I didn’t have to pay anything extra just the regular fee for getting a copy of birth certificate and they also did not require my husband to be present or sign anything

parents usually discuss what to name their kids !!! Lots more wrong with this relationship than the naming of their daughter

7 Likes

I’d leave him. That’s sick

8 Likes

I’d be at the court house filing for a divorce so fast his damn head would spin…:upside_down_face:

If the baby is under 6 months you can claim they made a mistake on the birth certificate and change it

4 Likes

Mine named our daughter after the girl he was trying to sleep with while I was pregnant. :upside_down_face:some men are trash

Yeah I found out about my daughters middle name when she was a teenager

Hey, thats how I got my name.

I mean, how did u not know this was his exes name ? Im just saying I know all my mans exes names. The important ones that counted anyways. So I’m guessing it’s a name of someone probably not that important from his past… If u both liked the name enough to use it then let it go is my opinion.

1 Like

I have never found anyone else that this has happend to! … but aye it really sucks !!. I never changed my daughters name in the end but I seriously considered it for a good while xx

1 Like

Is it like a popular pretty name? could it mean he actually likes the name? Or is it a horrible name like chardonnay or apple or maybe Karen :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I’d be more concerned then!

Maybe it has nothing to do with ex he just likes the name. Obviously you do too if you agreed to it. It may not of told you bc he didn’t want to ruin it. Is the name identical like spelling and Middle name?

The change would not erase the feelings and perhaps the wound in the relationship. But when a truth comes to the surface and people face it , they have a real chance of transformation. A name is connected to an individual ’ s Identity. You can not take back an Identity, you can not rewrite the story, that would be untruthful and the deceit hurts more than any cruel Truth.

2 Likes

When I was preggo, I had 2 girl names picked out that were the last names of 2 of my exes. It had nothing to do with them, I just liked the names. I’m sure my husband would have vetoed them though. But we had a boy so the problem solved itself. Lol

1 Like

This is a wind up. Saw the same post just worded differently

When choosing a name for my little girl, my husband randomly suggested the feminine version of my first crush’s name. Nothing really negative about my memories of that boy, but I didn’t want to be thinking of him in association with my daughter forever. I’m the one who said no to that. Even if I loved the name, I wouldn’t have used it for my daughter.

6 Likes

I just had to change my son’s name on his. Because they marked it wrong. It took me a year to get it done and I had to do a bunch of things. He had 4 other things wrong on his b cert. We had to see a judge and pay the fees. It was a process.

1 Like

How long has your daughter had her name.

7 Likes

That’s rough I feel for you. How old is the child? She’s used to the name by now?

2 Likes

So? he liked the name and obviously so did you to name her.

3 Likes

Awww he misses his ex and fave his child her name. He wants to be with her.

Good luck, you’ll need permission from the father. :face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

I mean if he just picked it because he likes it, than I don’t see an issue. If it’s because he still has hopes they will be together or he still loves her than I would be upset. My three year old daughter is name after my husband ex that passed away in a car accident. He loved her, and when we met and decided to start a family I decided to honor her and name our 3 yr old with her first and middle name. In my heart I could see the hurt my husband still had with her death and I thought it would be a nice thing. I have no regrets

3 Likes

This is why you don’t let men pick the girl names :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Was the baby girl named AFTER the ex? Or just happened to be the same name. Maybe change the spelling? I really wouldn’t look too far into it if u really liked the name. Also, how long ago was this ex? Id ask uself if it’s really worth the hassle

1 Like

I was named after one of the women my dad cheated on my mom with. I’m actually glad. Because I hate the take my mom wanted to make me.

My ex did this also. But I didn’t find out until my daughter was 4 and her name was hers. I couldn’t change it at that point

2 Likes

I fully don’t understand this, I was a M/B RN for over 32 yrs & both parents have to sign the birth certificate, Same when both of my kids when they were born (over 52 & 50 yrs ago) So just how come you never signed the form??? And then I would say the person that does this & puts it into the computer, she shouldn’t have done that until both parents signed the form

1 Like

Some names are just nice or pretty to some people
It doesn’t have to mean anything

Probably just made up nonsense, she must have liked the name to agree to it :roll_eyes:

I believe he would have to agree to name change and it’s a bit of work.

Not really a big deal. I know it hurts but you’ll be fine.

10 Likes

I’m super confused…How can this even happen without her knowing about it in the first place🤔 Sounds a bit scandalous and illegal to me, so if that’s the case I smell a lawsuit.

6 Likes

Is it just a name he likes?

Ehen my Mom was 64 yo she found out she was named after a woman her father was having an affair with. She didn’t care. That was an issue between her Mom and Dad, not her. She likes her name :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Apparently you liked the name before you found out it was his exs name… so I’d just be mature and keep it. I know my S.O exes name I don’t know his exs name from like 20 Years ago. So how long ago was she his ex?

You better divorce his cringe ass too :face_vomiting:

My dad named me after one of his old girlfriends lol not a big deal now

This makes no sense. Where were you when the original birth certificate was filled out? Did you not know the ex’s name until now?

1 Like

Is this like a recent ex or an ex from many many years ago?

Ask an attorney or someone at the birth certificate office

If your kids over 6 months old changing their name sounds horrible.

It was his ex how did you not know lol also I’m sure tons of people have your child’s name.

But I believe it’s court for a legal name change and money. In Canada it’s 160$

I believe you have before they turn a year old

Men are weird, my first husband suggested stripper names (literally all of his girl choices were on posters in his garage). He did not get to choose. Go ahead and change your baby’s name. It costs a bit but it’ll be worth it. Just Google name change and your state or province. It’s usually in the same department as births, deaths, marriages. And yes, you will need his permission.

What a jerk tell him your next child will be named after your ex then :laughing: