My husband wants a traditional baby name and I do not...advice?

I want to name my baby girl, Rudiger but my husband wants a traditional name like Rick or Shannon. How do we compromise? 9 months pregnant and stressed. Help!

106 Likes

I agree with your husband…don’t do rudiger…ruin their life

200 Likes

I’m having a hard time understanding Rick or rudiger for a little girl😅 but I’m also just not familiar with rudiger, BUT, I would try to find a way to compromise, come out with a decent list with potential names from both you and the dad and go through it and try to cross out names one or the other doesn’t like. You’re both the parents so both of you should have a say in the name, and I’m sure partners you’ll be able to agree on something that you both like🥰

46 Likes

We’ve got a Bodhi Rose…I love it

Please give her a pretty name! She will thank you. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’m with the husband on this one!

78 Likes

My husband and I had the same situation with my son. We settled on a name that had a traditional feel but isn’t super common. At least to our knowledge.

My ex and I had this battle also. We just kept getting different names and we finally agreed on a totally different name that we both liked.
Please remember that kids can be bullies, so don’t give her a name that kids will make fun of, for her sake :heart:
Here is a list of different ones

47 Likes

Pick one as a first name and one as a middle name. You each get a say that way.

I’m with hubby on this one. My parents had a list of names & then picked the one that best fit the kids when we got here and they saw us. I think it worked out good.

4 Likes

I have 4 girls. Thalia, Melody, Zoey and Sereia(pronounced sir Ray uh)

My daughter’s name is Charlie jo :grin:

1 Like

If you want your child to have to spell it every single time she has a new teacher or meets someone new, go right ahead. In my book, traditional is 100% better.

Easy pick a traditional name that is no longer used very much, there are plenty.

Use both Shannon Rudiger ! Just that easy !

1 Like

that name is a tragedeigh

I’m with your hubby with the name you have chosen. But I also don’t like either of those names your husband likes for a girl. How about a nice simple girl’s name like Kate or Alice.

Rick? For a girl? … hmm

6 Likes

I love the name Journey. Choose whatever it’s your& your husbands baby. :grin:

1 Like

What about rindr for a girl (rinder)

You can compromise and do like a traditional and non-traditional for like first and middle or a combo ie. Connor or Conlan

1 Like

Surely shannon is the only girls name there lol …

1 Like

We couldn’t agree for ages Then I heard a name shouted in the school yard. I thought ooo pretty name. We named our 2nd Lucy. My 3rd, we didn’t compromise either. He wanted James. I didn’t. (All his grandads was James). In the end I suggested Albie-James (heard Albie & loved it!)… we named him Albie-James (AJ). He’s still not a fan but it’s his name and he suits it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Give him a traditional first name and make the one you want as a middle name or vice versa.

3 Likes

Sounds likes you both want a unisex name … and two of them starts with an ‘R’. Maybe find another suited name that is traditional but yet a little unique…?

My daughters name is
Ronnie Jai-Leigh

To me that’s very much traditional and a not very common.

Best of luck…

In this case I’m siding with the husband

Let your husband choose, his choices are way better

7 Likes

I mean I love odd names etc but I agree with your husband on not that but I don’t like his choices either lol

6 Likes

This will be the first of many battles. You will not always see eye to eye or have the same opinions on all kinds of things. If you want your marriage to work, you have to learn to compromise. Keep thinking of names until you can agree on one. It’s not just your child, it’s his too.

2 Likes

I actually went with more traditional female names: Claire and Holly. Clara was my.great gmas name so it felt appropriate and Holly was supposed to be born close to halloween but came extra early! Traditional names are so sincere to me and my girls (for me) truly fit their names.

3 Likes

Combine part of both names you both like :+1:

We both made a list of Names, then chose a few that we like the sound of from each other’s lists but not necessarily wanted to name the baby that. Then just kept those names in consideration, our baby was names a month after being born and we both new the name was perfect.
My partner ended up going with one of My “hippy” names hahaha. Sometimes stranger names sound better and more seem more suitable after you’ve thought about them and heard them alot. :slight_smile:

Our girls is veraya

Oh I’d defo agree with your husband on this one xx

24 Likes

Me an the mister decided one does middle name one does first that way we each get a say. He wanted mathias for our son but i hated it as a first name so we did leon mathias and now i think its soo cute. But do take his thoughts into consideration.

Shannon first name. Rudiger middle

I wanted a unique name, and ended up naming my daughter Jacy. Id consider it traditional but also one you don’t hear often, or often spelled Jaycee or another way…. Maybe compromise in that sense. Lots of ‘traditional’ names that are still less common. I also waited until after my daughter was born to name her. I wanted to look at her face and into her eyes. I had about 5 names narrowed down and I knew right when I saw her Jacy was it.

4 Likes

Please listen to your husband! Please!

So bring back a common name from the older days! Or spell a common name unique. Put the name you like that’s unique as a middle name and maybe Shannon as first name

1 Like

Non traditional name for a middle name is way better than giving them a name that friends and teachers will say wrong or never be able to spell.
Maybe find a name that’s not in the top 100 that you can both agree on for a first name. Or look at actual traditional names. Popular doesn’t mean traditional. There are a lot of cute traditional names that are better than Shannon.

8 Likes

It’s a girl remember that they have the name forever. I would not want my name to be either Rudiger or Rick. Wish you had more time to think about it a name is a lifetime

52 Likes

Compromise it you really like the name but your husband doesn’t put it as the middle name this way both are happy.

Rudiger, or usually spelled Ruediger, is a common name in Germany for men.

How about both one as a first name the other a middle name

My son named his daughter Iris! I know it’s an OLD name. But I absoultly love it!!! :heart:

6 Likes

Save the unique name for the middle name.

When my second daughter was born my husband and I couldn’t agree on a name. I had tons of ideas that he hated, but he didn’t have any suggestions either, so she was just “the baby” for the first two weeks of her life, until the midwife called me one day when he was at work and said "We have got to put SOMETHING on this birth certificate. So I named her while he was at work lol. I’m on my 6th baby now, different Dad. This one is going to have a Lakota name that Dad picked, Mahpia Sapa Olowan. I’m not even positive I spelled it right lol. It means Black Cloud Singer.

Do traditional, can always give a “fun” nickname

2 Likes

My granddaughters are wynter and magnolya

3 Likes

Go old old school then it’s unique and classic.
Iris, Daphne, Celeste, Claudia

3 Likes

Don’t give her a name that no one can pronounce or spell! Been there, done that!!

Just no. Go with your husband

2 Likes

Keep in mind, what you consider a unique baby name now, will not be a unique baby name once your child starts school.

Choose something that your child won’t hate you for later in life!

29 Likes

Whatever you decide compromise pick one both like or you pick a name and he picks a name.

I agree with your husband!!!

None of those are great :rofl:

3 Likes

I get original but you do have to think about the child and how they will grow up alot if kids are teased no matter what there name is kids will find something but do you want to make it easy for them . Pick a Strong feminine name that isn’t common

4 Likes

WTF was this,lol,I think your husband’s really right on this kinda action

Rudgier is that even a name lol

2 Likes

I had a dog called rudiger though. And i Only know men named Rick.

34 Likes

I’ve never laughed so hard. Please scratch all those names and go back to the drawing board.

Awwwe look how beautiful baby Rick is. :heart:

3 Likes

You just keep coming up with different names you each like. Yall will agree upon something sooner or later. But what you shouldn’t do is sit there and say I only want this one. And he do the same i only want that one… scratch both those and keep thinking.

8 Likes

Is Rudiger a boy or girl?

If you use Rudiger please just use it as a middle name. Kids are mean and will 100% make fun of your baby girl for having a strange name (to them) Just remember that.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t suggest any you listed!!! JS they will get bullied as they start school I would definitely RE-THINK of some names :joy::joy:

1 Like

I’m with the husband on this, and I’m usually l for the odd names lol

Unique is one thing but off the wall crazy… not so much. They have to grow up one day and will have that name on a resume.

She would get this constantly if you named her Rick!

3 Likes

Compromise. One pick the first and one pick the middle. He deserves to have a say. However, my sons name is Kal-El and I never thought twice what people would say. I also love the name you picked.

1 Like

This is our daughter Rick

24 Likes

Maybe cut the name in the middle and call him Rudi.

Oh boy please don’t choose any of those names. Do yall like anything else?

1 Like

Consider what will look good on a resume. Also, you don’t have to name the baby immediately after birth.

How about a “traditional” name that is not currently common?

2 Likes

Might as well make it Rydyger

Make a list of both. Combine or compromise. Remember it may be cute for you to choose a unique name, but baby has to live with it and explain as she gets older.

I have a daughter. Her name is Frank. :joy:

Regardless what you choose, remember the child has to live with the name for the rest of their live, they need to easily spell it, not have to struggle with helping other people spell it, or pronounce it, AND they will eventually have to go to middle school and high school with the name, so don’t give them a name that will cause them constant bullying

2 Likes

Put the names on a resume template. If they look ridiculous on there, don’t name them that.

Also I would not pick Rick or Rudiger for a girl. Ricki maybe, but not Rick

If you name your baby girl Rick she will be constantly teased and people will call her Richard for the rest of her life…don’t do it!

2 Likes

Listen to your husband please :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Please tell me this is a joke

I’m dead :skull::face_with_hand_over_mouth::rofl: rudiger sounds like a new age medicine that helps your sore knees or something. And Rick? Hahhaha go buy a baby name book man :joy:

I’m sorry but Rudiger? How is that pronounced? Does it have any meaning behind it? Definitely don’t name her that if it doesn’t because that poor girl will be made fun of and it’s really not the best name

I waited till my kids were born to name them. I just had to see what they looked like first. Lol

Does Rudiger have a special meaning to you? Also… Rick for a girl?

2 Likes

just named my girl Stevie Rose. i like Ricki for a girl but Rick? ehhh

1 Like

Yeahhh…Definitely not Rudiger.

11 Likes

Just remember that your child has to live with the name. Everyone wants to make up some weird name so that others don’t have the same name. It is crazy some of the names I have heard.

2 Likes

My daughters name is Whitley Jo. Not super common but not terribly unique either.

8 Likes

One of his as the first name and yours as a middle name. Your child will thank you when it gets older.

Its not about you…this child has to live her life with the name you pick…lord Rudiger is a horrendous name for any child…she will be pick on everyday of her life is that what you want? Do yourself and everyone else a favor and pick a name that won’t get her bullied

Just remember your child has to live with that name their entire life.

6 Likes

I’m with your husband.
Shannon is also quite common now though!

Richard rudigar there it sounds perfect.

I named my oldest daughter “Kyra” because I babysat a baby girl with that name when I was 12 years old and had never heard it before. She was the youngest of 3 little girls and the older 2 where so rough and mean to her, I was afraid she would live to carry out her name.

Give more than one name :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am siding with your husband. I’ve worked in education for +30 years and trust me, the children with ‘unique’ names are often picked on. Sadly, children do this. As they get older, these children often are embarrassed by their unique names and will change their names at school. You can choose what you wish, but consider your child’s future. Please.

Don’t compromise just let him choose. :pray:

55 Likes

Sorry, I’m on team husband here.