My kids constantly talk back to me...advice?

What do you do when your kids constantly talk back? These kids do not listen to me at all. They do great with their dad but with me its in one ear and out the other and I am OVER it…what can I do to change things?

15 Likes

“Not listening, interacting or responding when I talk is completely disrespectful and rude. I will not engage with you until you engage with me.” Clearly not for basic needs. But anything outside of that, ignore it. I went through a rough patch with my kiddo and this worked. He’s six. Grasped it quickly.

2 Likes

Maybe they’re standing up for themselves? Or some version of that. Typically my kids aren’t talking back, though that’s the perceptions. They’re expressing themselves…typically out of frustration…like people of any age do.

2 Likes

Listening goes both ways. Sounds like you want blind obedience and kids don’t do that unless your hurting them and theyre scared of you. At the end of the day you should listen to them and validate their opinions and feelings. Maybe just maybe they’d listen better if you tried harder to listen to them and their thoughts

7 Likes

Reverse moma! Do unto them as they do unto you. Hard core learning. Sports is hard core learning. Respect…demand it. It can actually save their life. 

2 Likes

Oh well isn’t That Ironic?! My daughter says the same thing! It’s been that way since the beginning of time. Unless one parent is super strict or scary, you have to find creative ways to manipulate them into behaving. Like taking away things, or offering rewards for good behavior.

1 Like

It’s because they are always around you. They will get away with what they can, you want them to not talk back? Be hard on them and as soon as it happens punish them and don’t put up with it, don’t just throw your hands up and think “oh whatever “ be hard with what you want

2 Likes

My friend told me to take all electronics away from my kids.

2 Likes

How old are they? I can only give expertise up to 8 years old :joy:. My daughter is only 8. Shes very well behaved. So i may be able to give a pointer or two

They have phones take them

1 Like

Depending on the age but I’m old school. I know what I would do

20 Likes

When my kids find it fun to talk back,i start taken things away.My 17yo thought I was playing when she decided she was going to act grown and keep talking crap.Her phone got turned off,she was grounded.

3 Likes

Figure out why they are different with their dad. What does he do different? If they are younger it is imperative that they listen to keep them out of danger. They will treat you the way you allow them to treat you.

3 Likes

I know time has changed but if I ever would have talked back to my mother I would probably not be here today. Kids have it to easy that’s why so many get in trouble. If they can’t respect their parents what makes you think they respect others or obey the law ?

4 Likes

Tell them it’s disrespectful to talk back to any adult especially parents or teacher if they still don’t listen take away privileges from them

4 Likes

My son went through a phase of talking back and straight up ignoring me when I talked. The one day he was so awful to me I was done with it, he lost all privileges and electrics, he was allowed to watch TV with us in the living room and that was it, I told him until he can respect me and treat me with more respect he wasnt getting anything back. Through the time he was punished, whenever he was disrespectful I would remind him to be respectful and if he didn’t listen I added another day. Lasted 2 weeks and we’ve seen a lot of improvement. Not perfect! But steps foward

4 Likes
  1. What did I say ??
    Wait for a reply. Repeat what you previously said.
    Stand in front of them… looking them in the eye…
  2. What did I say ?
    Don’t let them do anything until they comply.
    They will soon learn.
    P.S. it works with my 5 year old
2 Likes

Take phones away Anything of value they think they need , door off their bedroom . Grounded. Now my kids grew up different they got popped in their m 0uth . They are 26,23 now and they still get it that way . So maybe once a year they something stupid then duck lol

1 Like

Slap them right in the mouth when they talk back. They will learn eventually to stop running their mouth. It’s how we learned as kids. We grew up just fine. It’s not abuse it’s teaching your kids to mind their parents.

1 Like

First:Talk with your husband. Does he see this? If so, why doesn’t he speak up? If he doesn’t? Then he needs to step up!
Second: Do you yell at them? Do you give them boundaries? Do you tell them they need to listen to you?
Third: A serious talk with Dad about what is going on, how you feel about it, and what his thoughts are about it.
Forth: Seriously. Go on the internet and ask the same question. Do some research. You will be surprised how you can learn from others going through it also. And you will get some thoughts, from professionals, about the why, how, and what to do! Let it sink in.
Fifth: Another talk with Dad. Make some plans on how to get this issue resolved. Write down your ideas. And THEN: Have a family meeting. Discuss the issues with the kids. And let them know that mom and dad are on the same team, and there WILL be consequences if the disrespect and lack of correct responses does not change.
Sixth: Open up for a discussion. Really listen to them. And then, all of you have some ice cream!:heart::heart::heart:. Seriously!
Oh. And keep these family meetings going. Listen to your kids. And let them know that you are there for them. But there will be rules and respect!
Good luck!:heart::joy::heart:

2 Likes

What’s your idea of talking back? A lot of adults have unrealistic views of what that phrase means.

Quick smack the the mouth when they say some stuff they know they shouldn’t or some soap of u don’t want to smack them. Unless they were never taught what isn’t appropriate then u have some parenting to catch up on. You are the parent. Your job is to lead them to be productive, good people. Sounds to me if they think they can talk to you any sort of way that they won’t do well in the real world. Better get a jump on that and fix it before they talk crap to the wrong person and loose their teeth as a young adult.

Too many variables. Not enough info.

Have you ever tried busting their ass !!!

2 Likes

Well I know parents today don’t do what my parents did and that’s why they act out. Soft parenting doesn’t always work. Get a little loud. I have a teenager that can get snippy and rolls her eyes but she knows the respect that needs to be given and hasn’t gotten loud or yelled at me.

2 Likes

Yoo my kids talk back (aggressively), then no tablets for 3 days and no electronics. And we discuss everyday why they do not have these things. And then they have to write an apology letter!. ( my kids are 8 and 11, just a heads up) younger I’d usually do time outs.

1 Like

The world has change but Ole fashion respect is the same. Lessons must start at an early age. Don’t smile and think it’s cute when they are small and expect respect when they are older. Begin with a firm loving no and don’t go back and forth. No means no. Teach them respect by showing respect. Listen to their issues and try to help them solve it by talking softly. If they are still not getting it show authority by being firm in your decision. They listen to dad because he don’t let it go just to get them out of his hair. I can say this because I would let something go or change my mind about a decision I made just to get a break. But thankfully I learned that if they can’t change my decision they will grow to respect my authority just as they di their dads.

Have dad show up, if possible, to the house and lay down the law. Talk about having consequences at his house for acting up during the week. Our kids stand in time out for as many minutes as they are old. Be consistent, don’t give them an inch until you see improvement. If they get upset, explain that bad choices result in consequences. If they don’t like it then don’t make bad choices. They could spend a day in their room because they aren’t going to walk around the house treating you disrespectfully. Make them earn privileges back… we use chores for that

3 Likes

First determine if it’s talking back or them having their own opinion about something. Sometimes, parents don’t allow their children to express themselves and have their own opinion. If it is indeed talking back, that is unacceptable. Lay out all consequences prior to something happening. Example. If you don’t clean your room that’s 2 hours off the TV. If you talk back that’s 2 hours in your room with nothing to do etc. (just examples). I did this with my two, so they knew ahead of time the consequences for their actions. I wrote it out put it on the fridge and hung a copy in each of their rooms. Stand behind the consequences and don’t give in. Afterwards, talk about why they chose the consequences over being asked to do something. I came up with this after my oldest was literally grounded for 6 months :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Be a parent not a friend.

1 Like

Punishment when they don’t do what you say.

Welcome to parent hood. Every kid goes through this…but as a parent we need to listen more to our kids in every way :pray: its a stage idk what parent thar has not gone through this :neutral_face: