My Kids Father Passed and His Mom Is Trying to Get His Estate: What Should I Do?

This question was submitted to our community via our Facebook page and/or our Answers forum. Responses are also taken from the community. If you have your own parenting or relationship question you would like answers to, submit on Facebook or Answers.


"I have a question. My teenagers that are 12, 13, and 14 lost their father last month. Their grandmother is trying to get the estate and doesn’t want me to contest it. him and I have been divorced for years but have the 3 children together. I’m curious what I should do I guess cause I got a notice saying I could contest. I really want the kids to be able to get the estate and have it put into a account for when they are 18 so they have college money. The estate is $350,000 and I worry there is a possibility they won’t see any of it. Idk what to do and I don’t want to cause conflict within the family. Has anyone ever had to go thru this? There was no will or anything. She is also trying to cease his bank accounts."

RELATED: I Am Not Hosting A Baby Shower For My Estranged Daughter In Law


The following top answers have been selected by a moderator from hundreds of responses to the original question.

"There are several places to get free legal advice online, at least for the basics. The normal order for inheritance is: spouse, children, siblings, parents, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, grandparents, great aunts, great uncles, cousins or children. In other words, the kids should get it before the parents. Fight for it. They will love you for it:"

"Contest it. And go get survivor benefits filed for the kids"

"Contest it! The kids deserve that money and you have no way of knowing if they will see anything if his mom gets it."

"Contest it. Those are his children, and it rightfully belongs to THEM"

"I’d fight it contest it. Your speaking on behalf his kin. Kids have more rights than she does"

"I would contest it immediately, it should be for the kids not her. It’s the best way to make sure your kids get what they should get. Do not feel bad for trying to protect them."

"I would find a lawyer to help you through this. Don’t do it on your own."

"His children should get what he left, not his mom. Shame on her for taking away from her own grandkids"

"Get a lawyer and contest it"

"Contest it & put it all into a trust that’ll be divided to the 3 of them"

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!