My MIL hates me: Advice?

My mother in law I live with… she has three grandkids first being a boy ( he has a different mom ) then my girls… when I started my relationship with her son she didn’t like me or me being around her grandson. I got pregnant, never asked how baby and I were… fast forward some time… we live together, and I can’t stand how some days she ignores her youngest daughter and me is so mean to my kids, and she says nothing. Got to a point where we argued, and I told her if she doesn’t like me, that’s fine, but she will not treat my kids like they’re any less than her grandson or let her daughter treat my girls like rag dolls. Since that day she doesn’t talk to me after she told me we should get along and not fight we’re “family”. My husband is working hard so we can get out of this house fast. I’m a SAHM.

29 Likes

Just do what you can to get along with her and try not to cause any problems even if she may start any and all of them as long as your working to get out of the house. You’ll get out someday and hopefully soon too for your children’s sakes.

2 Likes

Join some groups about bad in-laws.

You’re a stay at home mom but living in her home, so in a way she’s supporting your family so that you dont have to work while her son is working to support you as well… Maybe find a job and things would get better if she saw you contributing to the household…

29 Likes

Try to be civil with her I understand it can be trying but she is letting you stay with her. Maybe you can soon get out and have your own house. Best of luck to you and your family

2 Likes

Girl I’ve been there. In one ear and out the other and dont let her get to you . Your situation is just temporary. I know it’s hard as fuck but deep breaths

Get a job & move out asap

8 Likes

damn i’m sorry about that it really sucks when our spouses family doesn’t like us my husbands mom an dad never liked me we dated for 3 years an on our third anniversary we found out we were having a baby girl then here they come talking about that’s not his kid all this bs they were planting seeds in his head he even told me i was gonna be made to do a dna test to make sure it was his child (not necessary i wouldn’t ever lie about something like that) but then come time for my daughter to be born here they come again “oh she’s a hines look at her face !” oh they loved her man now they hardly ever talk to me still don’t like me but they don’t try to be in my life or my daughters but they make his life a living hell hole an it sucks it really does my father in law called me the other day talking about how he bought a car seat for my daughter (for my cars) an how it was almost 200$ an i’m like ??? OKAY AND? i’ve been buying diapers wipes clothes everything since she was born an i’ve prolly spent well over a few thousand dollars (i’m not cheap i want the good stuff idc how much it costs) anyway so the line went dead ( i have ZERO service out here where i live) an i called my husband up an was like look get your dad bc i’m bout to go off he thinks that he should be crowned granpa of the year an i got some bad news for him bc he ain’t shit i mean thanks for the car seat thanks for contributing SOMETHING to my daughter an her existence right ? but other than that it’s dead silence i mean i call my mil every so often to see how things are an she’s civil with me she’ll text me an ill text her but no one sends her anything no one does anything for my daughter bc they don’t like me an don’t want either me to be w my husband or my husband not to be w me idk but that’s not the way she should be treating your kids jus bc she’s old an bitter i would seriously slap the FUCK out of my mil if she EVER did some shit like that to me or my daughter she’s gonna respect tf outta me an my daughter esp if she’s living in MY MF HOUSE come on girl stand your ground you an your daughter are NOT welcome mats!! an hubby can either get w the program or the both of them can hit the curb that’s jus my opinion tho :woman_shrugging:t3::point_right:t3:

It never works out living with your in laws

16 Likes

That’s a real good idea The sooner the better

That’s really all you can do be civil and keep the peace until you can get out it is her house after all

3 Likes

Lot of you people missed the point. Jesus fucking christ :woman_facepalming: tell your husband and just keep contact limited. Then when you guys leave, leave for good. Dont go over anymore

Don’t like playing favoritism, not a good feeling

Regardless if they’re living there or not that does NOT give her a right to mistreat the kids. Maybe she should get a job to but again that’s NOT a right to let anyone mistreat the kids. Id put my hands on anyone who mistreated mine. 🤷 which is why i can’t/won’t live with anyone…
Anytime anyone mistreats or is mean to your kids, always say something, even if you have to be mean.
Get a job so you can get out quicker…

9 Likes

Get out! Life is too short to put up with this kind of BS.

3 Likes

As much as this hurts most MILs hate dislike their DILs.Even if the DIL is a doormat she wont be good enough .If anyone has a caring Mil please cherish them.

8 Likes

Go to some of the places who help family’s in need.
Ask about housing, there are places that rent according to you’re in come. That a start
Once in you’re own place apply for food stamps and churches help with turning on utilitys. There are ways to get out.

2 Likes

Get a job and get your own place.

5 Likes

Get a job and rent a place. There are places that go by income now for rent and give vouchers for landlords that accept them. Two incomes would be good. Apply for Section 8 for housing too. Child care look for reliable sitters for them at their place. Many Mom’s do this for income and not as expensive as some places. I had my son in homes like this so it was more personal later put him in Daycare to be in a more structured atmosphere. You can do it cause I did. I did not have the resources that are available now. Would never live with my family and especially my MIL. In the meantime don’t engage in a conversation with her and keep your kids away as much as possible. MIL may appreciate you more if she feels it isn’t just her son working. Just a thought.

2 Likes

My relationship with MIL is toxic. Fortunately my husband was the adamant one (we both were but he made the point it was about his wishes to her) and we completely cut her off. Life is so much better. Cut the cord. She made us homeless so we had no choice. Don’t let it get to that point for you.

2 Likes

I know what you are going through and living with in laws sucks because even if you started in the beginning getting along you almost always end up with drama when you have to live together. And for people saying get a job… not that easy when you have no one to watch your kids. I wouldn’t trust the MIL to watch them that’s for sure and getting a min. wage job will barely even cover a daycare.
My advice is stand your ground with how she treats your kids and her silence and pettiness is on her. Just keep civil as much as possible. Maybe things will get better down the road when you aren’t living with her. It sucks but you cant force people to like you or your kids so just focus on the ones who do love you guys. And tell your hubby to have a talk with his mom because he should be sticking up for you period.

6 Likes

Well if you give to one you give to the rest.

1 Like

Get a job hunny. You have over stayed your welcome. Your daughters are depending on you.

6 Likes

Maybe she’s not mad at you but her son who can’t get his shit together having babies with all these different people who also don’t have their shit together and are all staying with her…people can only take so much…I suggest you hurry up and move out because it sounds like she’s tired and ready for her own space back

Move out and be done… I’ve been with my husband since high school (23 yrs) 6 kids and his parents absolutely hated me BUT I have never taken 1 thing from them and always send cards and include them in any family event. And having 6 kids I also know different times my kids get different things. Its hard but sometimes it’s the way it goes. Good luck but move out asap!!!

1 Like

You put yourself in this position, do something about it.

I only read the first sentence - get your own place.

3 Likes

Why aren’t you working? You’re complaining about someone you live with??? You’re not a SAHM!!! You’re shacking up in someone else’s house. You don’t even have your own place?! Maybe she thinks you’re lazy :woman_shrugging:t3: From your story…I would if I was her

6 Likes

Let my in-laws try this shit I beat a bitch you do not miss treat my kids plain and simple don’t want me miss treating you you don’t fuck with my kids

One thing I hate about this group so little compassion. Everyone saying get a job ok and who will watch her kids while she works!? A daycare? Oh so now she’s working to pay someone to watch her kids because most jobs she will get will pretty much cover the cost of daycare. It’s nice to live in a world where you don’t have to feel like less than because you can’t contribute financially. She’s more than likely a sahm for this reason only. Girl please continue to stand up for yourself and yes maybe if your man doesn’t work weekends see if you can get a weekend job to help put some money up but trust me I understand it’s hard keep your head up. Don’t let her or anyone get you down or put you down.

8 Likes

Rule number one don’t ever move in with your mother in law :sweat_smile: they more than likely already don’t give a poo ab you since you’re dating their son, moms are weird about their sons :laughing: you’re life will just continue to be a living hell until you’re out :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

I think you need to focus on moving and finding a home for your family separate from her.

3 Likes

Listen to me when I say this, THEY WILL NEVER CHANGE. Move out and KEEP YOUR DISTANCE. When they play favorites they’ve been doing it their whole lives and think it’s normal. If they ever decide that they were wrong and apologize to you guys then great but for now move out and KEEP YOUR DISTANCE!

3 Likes

I don’t see a question. Are we just venting? Are you seeking advice on how to survive this until you move? There isn’t a way to survive this, while living there, besides keeping yourself and your kids in a single room away from the rest of the family. The only other option is to move now. Move in with your parents. You can move back when he gets a more suitable place to live. Maybe your mom or dad can watch the girls while you work and it will go by faster. But staying in a home where you feel your children are mistreated or put in physical danger is shitty of you. Shit happens sometimes and we need to rely on other people, but first and foremost, we have to do what’s best for our children. If that means you move far away to be with your family or friends for a while and he stays there for work, oh well. Beggars can’t be choosers. :woman_shrugging:

MOVE OUT dont like her behavior get out of her house simple really

1 Like

Things may be hard but move out ASAP. Things will get better when you aren’t living under one roof.

2 Likes

Living with your in-laws is irresponsible , move out and never let your kids around her again !

1 Like

I completely understand being a SAHM. Before I moved out of state, majority of my money would go to child care. I moved out of state and work from home. It still has challenges, but see if you know someone who sells stuff online or tumblers. Just something to do to make money from home. At least that’s what I would be doing to get the fuck out of there lol. I can hook you up with someone who sells ItWorks. She seems to be making great money or Pure Romance. The girl I know who does Pure Romance seems to make bank. She has her own trailer stocked with all kinds of stuff that you can buy right there instead of waiting for it to be delivered. She goes on quite a few trips and enjoys it. Anyways, it’s just an idea. I hope you guys can figure it out.

Move out! Get a job, look I’m not trying to be mean, but I had my first kid at 17. I had a job at taco bell, I had my kid on October 17th, back to work by Halloween. I couldn’t even go on the lease yet, but the landlord let me move in anyway until I turned 18, then I got on the lease. Life changes, I got better jobs making more and more money, got better places until I bought a house. My point is…times in my life I was broke as can be. Struggling hard, but never living with someone who hates me or my kids. I’ve always had my own place! The state offers daycare assistance. Go take care of your own affairs. People get pissed when they gotta provide a home for someone else and their kids too.

2 Likes

Get out as fast as you can. My hubby and I worked opposite shifts( I worked evenings and weekends) for a couple years in order to have our own place and not put the kids in daycare. I got to be home during the day with my kids, still had a couple evenings for family time and I wasn’t working to pay for daycare. I would then reevaluate her behavior towards grandkids and if you guys are still seeing her treat you and your girls badly distance all of you from her. She will either change her behavior or not but you, your marriage and your kids will be better off

1 Like

Be grateful for this woman. She is only human. We all make mistakes. However, be grateful that she raised a great man to become your partner. She welcomed you and your family into her home.

Try and relieve some burdens from her.

3 Likes

Your husband needs to stand up for you NOW, they are his children as well. He married you NOT his mother.

1 Like

My in laws Arapaho don’t talk to the mom or dad of their. In-laws just when the mother in law wants something done…then you talk to them but I myself never talked to them just her daughter’s. …