My mom constantly eats the food that I buy for my son and I: Advice?

I’m currently staying with my mother, and I pay my way and also have to buy my own food for my son and me. Constantly my mom keeps eating our food, eating my son’s bread that he has for breakfast and lunch. I’ve asked her to stop unless she gives me money towards groceries, and I’ll buy for us all, but she won’t and still continues to eat our food. Need advice, please

111 Likes

Lock your food up.
Or find somewhere else to stay.
You’ll never get her to respect you and just quit if you’ve already asked and she hasn’t stopped.

4 Likes

If you’ve spoken to her already it’s time to find a new living arrangement! If that’s absolutely not possible, keep your food locked

1 Like

Buy some and hide it

That’s bull shit hide ur food

Keep what you can in your room and get a lock for the door… even a mini fridge? Cheaper than moving out immediately.

2 Likes

Buy a container and put your food in it in your room

Eat her food back :woman_shrugging:t3:

17 Likes

Have you labeled your items in the pantry/ or fridge…?
With your name/& or son’s name it can help.&
Kindly ask her if she wants to grocery shop together

1 Like

Get yr own dorm fridge

Get a small fridge & a lock on your bedroom door…hide it there …unless you can move.

Buy something gross and tell her NEVER to eat it🤷‍♀️

1 Like

Omg i would gladly share anything with my mother, wtf :woman_facepalming:t2:

41 Likes

Seriously it’s your mother?!:exploding_head:

21 Likes

That’s a tough one. Maybe a specific shelf for y’alls stuff or keep most of it in your room. When I had to live at home we (kids and i) had 1 shelf in the pantry, 1 in the fridge & 1/2 of 1 drawer in the fridge

2 Likes

Why not just buy food for the house? Maybe the cost of you and yours being there costs her so much she cant afford food? Share.

7 Likes

She is eating the baby’s food!!!

2 Likes

Put a pantry in your room or move out.
I can’t imagine living with anyone other than my hubby and kids. I’d go crazy!

6 Likes

Her house her pantry, that’s the least u could do

4 Likes

How many times over the course of your lifetime has your mom bought food for herself and let you eat it all…more than you probably ever know.

17 Likes

I would just label everything with your name on it. And tell her if she touches anything that is labeled, she has to pay you back.

I bet u ate her food when you were younger :joy:

8 Likes

Your staying with your mother, she’s not staying with you

6 Likes

Hide it in your room🤷🏻‍♀️

2 Likes

It’s your own mother. Wow!!
You can always get your own place and not have to worry about anyone else eating it!🤷

15 Likes

Buy refrigerator and put it in your room

2 Likes

I understand that you need food for your son but seriously? That’s your mom. There were probably plenty of times she didn’t wanna share her food or give you the last piece of pie but did. Go grocery shopping together and stop being stingy about it. :woman_facepalming:

66 Likes

Do you pay all the bills?

1 Like

Idk… unless there is more to the story… she is sharing her house… you can’t share food? This sounds dysfunctional on so many levels. I’d give my my kids or my mom the last scrap of food I had. I guess when you say you are paying your way, are you helping with the mortgage, utilities and food or… ??? I’m just not understanding.

16 Likes

write your names on it, if she doesn’t respect that try to get your own place asap

2 Likes

Get your own place. Problem solved.

If i was your mother, i would have kicked you out, for telling me I couldn’t have a piece of bread.

40 Likes

To all of you saying that’s your mom blah blah blah… Have obviously never struggled being a single mother have you… And by the way if you have kids it’s your job to feed them they did not ask to be there so it was her mothers job to feed her as a kid but as she states they each by there own food but het mother keeps eating her and her sons food… What happens when it’s finished and her monthly limit is exceeded then whose gonna give the kid food??? So stop saying wtf it’s your mom… She is a grown ass woman and should know better than to eat her grankids food…

Omg- grow up- didn’t she feed you growing up?

12 Likes

Keep the bread in ur room and what ever is dry food in ur room are u paying rent

6 Likes

get a mini fridge and put it in your room.

3 Likes

I would have told you to leave you should look out for your mom also your lucky to have a place to take your food

8 Likes

Move out! My Mom could eat any and everything in my house and I’d still ask her if there was anything else she wanted. What’s wrong with people these days! You only get one Mom!! I cherish mine!

32 Likes

If she’s requiring you to buy your own and continuing to eat it then lock it up. For all we know her son could have food allergies/intolerances but even if he doesn’t who takes food from a child?

28 Likes

I wish I still had my mom around, she could have ANYTHING she wanted!!!

16 Likes

It’s your mother. You at one point ate all her food. I could gladly give my mom
Anything she wanted or needs.

14 Likes

It’s your mom befor you know it she will be gone and then what? She fed you for how long? Get your own place If you have issues

15 Likes

Move if you don’t like it bread is literally $1 . Idk the whole story but I’m sure she fed you when you were hungry and probably would help out if you needed it like you do apparently since you’re living there … compared to bills… breads not that expensive

12 Likes

Keep the food in your room. Get a mini fridge

4 Likes

Get a fridge and cabinet for your room, with locks. (I had to when i lived with my aunt, cause my uncle did that all the time, but we werent allowed to touch they food!)

6 Likes

Put a mini fridge with a lock on it in your room

2 Likes

Don’t let it get to you… Buy more bread… You can put his name on it so she see it…

But other then that the emotional response can reuin your relationship.

You can play a little trick on her… The child can find her eating the bread cry then at the end tell her stop eating my bread and smile letting her know it’s not frake and not that serious but ain’t nobody got time or money keep going to the store to get bread

2 Likes

Writing is on the wall, move out. Shes not changing. So it has to be you.

Buy extra bread :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Buy more food…that’s your mother

7 Likes

I can’t believe these comments! I’m sorry some of y’all didn’t grow up with a loving mother. This post has just really pissed me off! Your own Mom! Really??

17 Likes

I get her point tho. My son has specific foods he eats and I’d probably fight my husband if he ate our kids special stuff. Its hard enough to get our kids to eat most days.

4 Likes

Get an apartment and get out of her house.

1 Like

If it is that big of a deal then pay your own way in your own home.

8 Likes

Who fed you ? If it wasn’t your mom. How dare you criticize her. You need to get your own place. You don’t seem to appreciate her help. You are a spoiled ?

4 Likes

Put in your rm an lock the door

Maybe she doesn’t really want to share her house with her adult daughter… move out!!! You are probably using way more than you pay for each month. Goodness …that’s your mom and you are mad she is eating your bread and food?? Pay ALL your own bills in your own place and then simply invite her over for dinner. That way she can only eat what you give her. SMDH

14 Likes

Move tf out or stop complaining about the food your mom eats when she fed you for 18yrs the only reason she shouldnt touch it is if its the only thing left for him to eat

3 Likes

Y’all are something else. Grandma is TAKING FOOD FROM THAT BABY. That’s bullshit. Period.

More important issues going on in the world than a piece off bread!
Grow up woman
This lady give you life

6 Likes

How about since it’s so bad to have your Mother eat your food. Take your ungrateful ass to a homeless shelter or get your own place. Ugh people kill me I swear. :rage:

Can you keep non-perishables in your own space? I won’t judge you living at home, there are a lot of reasons why someone might need to temporarily or permanently. I also won’t judge you not wanting someone eating the food for you and your son because you bought it and it’s yours. Boundaries are a beautiful thing, even with family.

6 Likes

hide the food if you can or eat or dump her food to teach her a lesson or jus stop buying stuff in general an make her deal with it

2 Likes

Buy her a loaf of bread when you shop

2 Likes

Do you pay your Mom to stay there? Deduct from what you pay. Have a room you and son sleep in? Keep food in there. Mom doesn’t want you staying there?

2 Likes

I knt beleive these comments dude shes your mother never deny her food i get it if its the last thing left but man the nerve of some

1 Like

My in laws live with us. I get FS for my baby and I. I get a limited amount each month, obviously. My FIL is an engineer. He makes really good money. BUT they tend to eat the things I buy even if they’re labeled with my name on them, leaving me and my child with no food. I’m also pregnant. I make a big deal out of it because I only get so much a month on FS. If they eat what I buy, then my child and I have nothing to eat. They can buy their own food if they want but they cannot eat what I buy. I don’t care who they are.

4 Likes

it would be one thing if she was living with her mother rent free, then ya eat whatever food she is contributing but she’s not. She pays her way just like she said and her mom makes her but her own groceries but then sits there and eats her food?!? That’s not cool
She doesn’t state the reason why they are living together. I think it’s funny that most of you guys are jumping to the conclusion oh she’s a spoiled brat or she’s the one that needs help. How do you know that it wasn’t the mother that needed help and asked her to move in??? You don’t!! Some of you need to get off your high horse!

17 Likes

Sounds like you needs to buy something you can lock

She’s just gonna tell you she gave you life. No point fighting it.

1 Like

Did u pay for ur food ur entire childhood :rofl:

5 Likes

It can’t be the bread that is making you nuts. Buy more bread it is like $3. Move out if she makes you nuts. It is your mom and you live with her she is probably worth the extra $3 or $6.

3 Likes

Be happy She is allowing you to stay with her. Yes you may be paying your way, but from the sounds of it, you cant get your own place or you wouldnt be staying with her. Its your mother! I’m sure She took care of you. One day you wont have her and you’ll wish She was here eating your bread. I gladly share whatever I make with My Mom even though We dont live together. I love My Mom and will do anything for her. I understand food is not cheap, especially raising a child and of you dont recieve any kind of assistance, I just think its rude. Just My opinion. If you dont want her to have it dont leave it out in the open in HER house!

16 Likes

This is why i dont like to live with ANYBODY get your own house your own car your own fridge to put food in . AND AGAIN SHES YOUR MOTHER FOR CHRIST SAKE

7 Likes

A. Move!
Or
B. Hide ur food!

You’re staying with HER.

1 Like

Y’all are all rude as fuck lmfaooooo
Y’all are assuming that she was raised by her mother or that she has a good relationship with her mother. She obviously can’t pay for a place of her own, otherwise she wouldn’t have had to move in with her mom.
And just bc it’s her mom doesn’t mean she has the right to do whatever she wants to her daughter stuff. Boundaries & respect are KEY.

Do u pay her rent. My house at what u want. I’ll buy more.i would never tell my mom not to eat something .wish she was still alive to do it

1 Like

Get u a big plating locking tub and put it in ur room with all ur shelf stable food in it

2 Likes

I live with my mom and we don’t touch each other’s food- we both work . If we do, we replace it ASAP. :woman_shrugging:t2: it works well for us. I can see why OP is frustrated. It’s easy to say “it’s just food” when we don’t know OPs financial situation .

10 Likes

I think we need more backstory. This just sounds like you’re ungrateful.

8 Likes

Ok what’s the problem? Whatever is brought in this house is for everyone. Either share or put it in your room and stop complaining. 🤷

4 Likes

Damn… you are living in her HOUSE… :unamused:

If you’re paying rent, you do deserve your own belongings. But as a roommate, you should know to keep your stuff in your room. Get a mini fridge and keep it all in your room. Fight ended.

I understand people saying she’s your mother, etc. And theyre not wrong. Make sure before you make a big deal of this that the cost of her consumption is worth it. Is what you pay her less than what you would pay elsewhere? Is she doing you a solid letting you stay there? If so, let it go.

3 Likes

You need to lock the food away.

Keep it in your room.

When you say “pay your way” what does that even mean? It’s different for everyone. Do you help with the mortgage, electricity, water etc? If not I’d say you kind of need to get over yourself. I understand about kids wanting specific things, but at the same time if you’re not paying for your stay then food is kind of petty to be upset about. Do you eat her food that she buys because it’s for everyone?! If you’re helping her pay for the bills then maybe you can afford to rent an apartment or even a house?! Just my thoughts.

4 Likes

People always asking advice on how to simply communicate with their family. :roll_eyes:

I get it, I used to live with my dad and if there wasn’t bread to pack my sons lunch in the morning because someone else ate it, it was infuriating.

Here is my advice: you’re being soft. If she doesn’t understand and obey your wishes, you’re being too nice about it.
Sometimes you need to raise your voice, put on your crazy eyes and make your point really fucking clear.
Will it cause tension for a few days? Maybe.
Will she keep eating your food? Nah.

Omg instead of complaining move the hell out but think about this it would cost a whole lot more if you move an get your own place then you can complain about how much you’re really paying out. It’s your mother and I’m sure the food she’s eating is costing alot less over paying for your own place. Suck it up cause when she’s gone you can’t take your complaining and bitching back.

I could understand complaining maybe if she ate your steaks but it’s bread and she’s your mother! Be thankful for her and share your food with her.

2 Likes

Shes your mom. Feed her too.

3 Likes

Get your own place or lock up your food.

Sad . But I have a stepmother who bought cookies, Pepsi , cereal , poptarts and snacks for HER 2 daughters and locked the door to parents room where she kept the snacks.She would call HER children I in for snacks and lick my sisters out.And lock me out if I was visiting there. So fucking mean…I suggest you buy extra for your mom or move out :wink:

Does she know your buying for only you and your child. Maybe she thinks your contributing to the house since shes letting you stay there

2 Likes

Subtract the amount of the things she eats from the rent you pay her

6 Likes

It’s yur mother for God sake grow up she had u right yur being childess

1 Like

Get a mini fridge and keep it in your room :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

You ate her food for many yrs sooooo

4 Likes

And if you can’t afford to buy extra tell your Mom.

1 Like

Girl, families are a mess! Why do I relate to this so much? People are so weird. Life.

1 Like

OMG! I could’ve wrote this post myself 5 years back. I know exactly how you feel.

I was on strict budget. My son was a baby. My mom would eat my son’s cereal and baby food treats. I also bought items for the house. But she always went for my sons things. I ended up putting things that were special for him, in my room.

(I would get upset and angry with my mom because she spent her money on cigarettes and lottery tickets.)

2 Likes