My moms mad that I can't go visit my grandpa: Advice?

Honestly I think your in the wrong… I understand the having kids and being pregnant as I am in the same boat but you can’t use that amongst a bunch of other stuff to make excuses. It sounds like you just don’t want to vs. Can’t… grandparents only live for so long and once their gone you don’t ever get that time again.

Coming from someone who has to put their grandpa to rest tomorrow, and I got to see him almost everyday, I’d make the trip to see him. My grandpa passed over the weekend, I’d love to be able to see him again. You don’t have long with your grandparents, you should make time to see them when you can.

Ask her to fund your gas. I want to say stick to it but I’ve lost my grandparents and know how much I wish I could have seen them. 2 hrs isn’t terribly far.

I didn’t get past 27 weeks pregnant and Braxton Hicks. Tell her NO. You and your baby and car sick child are ur priority. Not that grandpa isn’t but you need to take care of you and your own now

2 Likes

You are not obligated to drop everything for anyone unless you choose. I’m guessing they’ve emotionally blackmailed you for years. It’s good you’re not giving in to it.

1 Like

No. you’re not wrong & those on here saying you are, very apparently never had complicated pregnancies. Just because they could (safely) do certain things while pregnant, doesnt mean its the same for everyone else. Your health&unborn child comes first, along with your children you already have. If they cant understand that, theyre the ones with something wrong, not you. Send grampa a card, a video, do a video chat, plan for another trip. dont let anyone make you do something youre uncomfortable with!

2 Likes

How about setting up a video chat with him? Have someone with the tech know how to help you. Explain that you would love to be there but with the baby on the way, travel is not possible. He will love seeing your face and hearing your voice even though you can’t be there in person.

1 Like

How many more times do you think he has left for family to gather around?

You are not obligated. Send a card or do FaceTime with your grandpa

No you’re not in the wrong
They, especially as family. need to be more understanding of your condition.
She shouldn’t be talking shit about you to anyone.

Ask yourself this. If this is grandpa’s last birthday will you feel remorse? I understand it’s a lot but realistically how long do you think you have left with him? 2 - 3 hours isn’t that bad of a drive. Even being pregnant with little ones. But ultimately your life and your decision to make. My concern would be how many birthdays do you truly have left with grandpa?

How old is grandpa? Your reasonings are all 100% valid. But you may want to consider somehow going. If it’s so important to your aunt & dad maybe they can help pay for your trip? Maybe they can provide train or bus tickets, hotel etc??? Instead of saying no say Id love to go but we can’t afford it right now. Can you help us pay for it? If you absolutely can’t go offer to be there virtually. Have the kids draw grandpa pictures & send them with the Aunt or dad. Try to “be there” in any way you can. Grandpa may not be around long.

Absolutely not wrong. It’s your time, your money and your life. You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do or can’t do. And you DON’T need to give them any reason why not.

After just loosing two children to cancer 7 months apart 7/21 & 2/22 . Let me tell you life is short. Your teaching your children if family is important or not. Just FYI there are patches for the 6 yr old not to get car :nauseated_face: I am a pro so is my son. I had the numbness, pain, and tingling down my leg bad with my #4 I could only sleep with a pillow between my knees. I cleaned houses up to the week b4 I had him. he was laying on the nerve…it didn’t help he weighed 10.1… You could ask they not do the house for a couple of days and hubby can drive. It sounds like it’s three weeks from now, so still plenty of time to get the house ready.
If you don’t want to go then that’s on you … but I am from north Jersey and I would go 30 weeks. 3 yr and 6 ?

I’m a total introvert, so I am all about finding reasons to not go places. However, since losing my Dad, my outlook has changed. So here’s my advice. Give your 6 year old some dramamine. You can get children’s dramamine at Walmart. I have to give it to my son, because he gets car sick easily. Pack some saltines and ginger ale just in case. If you have a tablet and a subscription to Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc., charge it up and download some movies beforehand for the kids to watch. Don’t forget to make sure they have a few snacks. See if you can find a close friend to go with you incase you need help with the kids, or not comfortable enough to drive. If you’re able to drive, but experiencing discomfort while traveling, find a place to pull over and stretch your legs if necessary. If you think it’s too much effort for just 1 night, than stay for 2. Enjoy time with your family. Your kids will probably have a blast spending some much needed time with everyone. You may not want to go right now, but I bet if you do go, you’ll be glad you did. If you’re major concern is finances, put aside $5 or $10 a week for gas. Stay at a family members house rather than a hotel. In my experience, my family cares less about presents and more about presence. Don’t feel obligated to buy anything extravagant or anything for that matter. I’m sure all your Grandpa wants is to just see you and his great grandbabies.

You don’t owe any one an explanation. Send a card and make a phone call. Hearing your voice will be plenty given your circumstances. Grampa will be happy I’m sure.
Hugss :hugs:

1 Like

I drove 9 hours largely pregnant with multiple complications to be with my family when my aunt died. Priorities are different for everyone but family is extremely important to me. For that particular trip my two kids stayed home with dad. We just made it work. But honestly if that’s not how you feel then don’t go. There’s nothing worse than someone coming to see you who didn’t want to be there in the first place.

Wish I could go visit my grandparents, both of them are gone. Just go or you will probably regret it

yes you are. you can work 40 hours a week but can’t make the trip to see your grandfather. cause you are in your words having issues. leave your kids with your husband. we don’t know what tomorrow holds. what if the rolls were reversed and your children or grandchildren didn’t want to see you. it is a 2 hour drive you are just making excuses

Stay home! Your not wrong!:heart:

Lol I love how other women just talk…without putting themselves in her shoes… the lady is damn tired w 2 kids,a full time job,a house and pregnant…
If you dint want to go…dont go!
Everyone has diff priorities and thats ok. Do what you feel is right for ur family.
You should listen to what ur body and heart says. Not to anyone in Facebook that dosnt know u. Including myself…

No you’re not. Most OBs tell pregnant women to not travel far after 26 weeks. Especially if there’s any issues during the pregnancy.

As you said, it’s only one night. :woman_shrugging:
All of the issues you have going on won’t be improved or worsened by one day. I think you put family first as a priority. If you need more help and support with the kids I would have your husband watch them and you make the trip alone.

I get that your pregnant and have the issues
You have described
As your hubby will be at home anyway
Can your kids not stay at home with him
That way you could go to the family gathering and have a night to yourself before bubs comes
Although it’s very early to be having Braxton hixs contractions
Perhaps you should also check with your dr in regards to traveling
Due to your legs

Girl, I know you really want to go but another alternative is to face time him on his day. He sees you ,you see them and everything else will be okay. Grandpa has lived a good life and I am sure he would understand.

Lots of excuses.
First, you mention budget as the problem. A two hour drive isn’t breaking the bank. The fact you can afford to build an addition with current prices shows money isn’t the issue.
Second, if hubby is staying home, leave the kids if it’s too much.
Your grandfather is on borrowed time but you’re seem more worried about your house.
What’s more important? Family or possessions?
If that’s the way you think though and I was grandpa, I’d rather not see you at all.
Keep your selfish ass at home.
I’ve moved figurative mountains and one time a whole couch up a flight of stairs while pregnant, so your excuses are lost on me.
Also, I worked 60+ hrs a week an hour and a half from my home being pregnant, with a toddler, and a deployed husband.
If you WANTED to, you would but you DONT.

Morgan Stotts she’s working 40 hours a week… obviously she can sit her ass in a car for two hours. That’s really not asking a whole lot.

I’m going to tell u something completely honest I know u are miserable and I know u are tired I’m due in January and I have a 2 yr old still at home the rest my kids are grown and not home my grandma on my dad’s side adopted me after my dad was killed when I was 6 she was due to have a birthday March 20 2018 I sadly was stubborn and tried to plan for a different day within a few days after her birthday she was hospitalized and she never made it out of the hospital she passed away August 24 2018 I promised her a strawberry cake and that I’d cook for her she loved me to make that cake and my cooking I have so so many regrets that I wish I could change please don’t make the mistake I did please learn from mine and make time for your family they won’t be here forever I wish I would have understood this better

Go to ur grandpa. Alot of excuses

I think you should go see your grandfather

I’m kinda shocked at some of the comments. It’s not selfish if she is uncomfortable doing it. Period.

Nope you are not wrong for this. It’s going to be too hard for several reasons. Stay home. They will have to get over it if they are upset. Take care of yourself❤️

My little one was two months old. My grandpa passed away. He was states away. I did not go to the funeral. My mom was somewhat upset with me. I have no regrets. Living in the middle of the USA and having relatives spread out, when I travel it is with great personal sacrifice. If people can’t appreciate this, that’s too bad.

I’d go no matter the cost and inconvenience. Your grandpa not only is he getting older and won’t be around forever, but grandparents are a great influence on grandchildren and have a very positive effect on their lives. I’m so grateful at my age to still have my grandma and to have my parents in the lives of my children. My daughter’s boyfriend has no grandparents alive right now (and he’s quite young) and he comments a lot about how he feels he has missed out. If at all possible, I’d make the sacrifice to go. If not, I’d do a zoom or video call with him and your children.

If it’s only two hours you could drive there and back on the same day imo

Maybe try going after they finish working on house.