My mother in law constantly invites people over to the house: Advice?

Walk around your house naked.

6 Likes

She should move out I find your behaviour with family and family Extensions, this is really Sad and the control isn’t it her home too? she’s a Grandma seeing family. Your priorities are wrong.

2 Likes

That’s easy. Tell him she goes or you go.

17 Likes

If she pays rent/mortgage/bills you can’t be telling her who and when people are allowed over. Your landlord wouldn’t say who you could have over or when.

16 Likes

I’m sorry but this would be a deal breaker for me. She needs to show respect because she’s living in your house. If you were in her house I’m sure she would expect you to live by her rules.

20 Likes

Tell her she has 30 days to leave. Next time she threatens to leave TELL HER TO GOOOO. If ur husband has a problem tell him to go with his mommy🤷🏻‍♀️

28 Likes

When she threatens to move out, say “good, be gone” :woman_shrugging:t3:
But also, she pays rent, unfortunately you can’t stop her from having people over when she pays her part. That’d be like a landlord telling you “nope, no visitors every day”

8 Likes

Next time she says she’s moving out say ok bye.

3 Likes

Well this hard because she does pays rent but having people come over daily is rude !

2 Likes

I was on your side …UNTIL …the part about she pays you rent… Your MIL IS AN ADULT SHE CAN DO /SEE/INVITE OVER WHOEVER SHE LIKES. PERIOD. If you don’t like it to bad. You don’t get to dictate her life. If you don’t like it then you shouldn’t have her live with you end of story.

8 Likes

Build her a living room of her own.

1 Like

Tell her to move out!!!

1 Like

Why is it a “threat” that she’ll move out? Sounds like a toxic situation with her there.

13 Likes

Id make her move put if she was making life harder. That is simple. Of he complains tell him to go with her.

4 Likes

Kick them both to the curb

1 Like

I’d kick her to the curb, that’s your home, and if he has an issue or refuses to see the problem, kick him to the curb too.

2 Likes

girl it’s literally all of your homes. if you can respect her, she should be able to respect you no problem. kinda sounds like she’s going out of the way to not get your point, hoping you’ll stop bringing it up. so definitely keep making her aware that you’re uncomfortable bc she can’t just get away with that

2 Likes

If she pays rent. She has the right to invite whoever she chooses. If I was her I’d move out. By her threatening to move out seems like you need the money she pays you for rent. If not then just let her move.

8 Likes

Let her move then. Its not her home to just invite others over wt out permission. If she can work wt you .Then she can leave an do what she wants in her own place.

2 Likes

I was on your side until I read the part that she pays rent. If she pays rent, she has every right to invite people over at her will with or without your permission.

9 Likes

If she pays rent and you share the home she should be allowed to have her grandkids and kids there idk i dont mean all the time but i think youre wrong on this one even tho shes probably hard to deal with you should be allowed too have people in her home because shes renting from you so yes it is her or should her home as well. If not help her find a place of her own.

6 Likes

Have her move out of your house

2 Likes

I would leave and have my own space can’t deal with toxic people is a waste of energy and makes me sick.

2 Likes

I was with you until you said she pays rent. That make it just as much her house as yours. If you can get your husband on board you can give her 30 days notice of needing to move. Otherwise, that’s what happens when you let someone live with you. She has just as much right to the house as you. I’m sorry you’re in this situation. I also think it’s completely wrong what she said in front of your child.

11 Likes

If she’s paying rent you really have no argument… its her house too. If you don’t like it then have her move out.

4 Likes

So she is not allowed to have a life there just because its “your” house and you say so? Hahaha wow show some respect. Have an agreement that if someone is coming over she is to tell you guys ahead of time so you can decide to stay, leave, or go to another room. It might be your house but she is not a prisoner.

19 Likes

Tell your bitch of a husband go live with his mommy somewhere else

15 Likes

start walkin around naked when people r over :joy:

16 Likes

I’d start throwing her shit out and tell her gtfo of my house

4 Likes

She’d have to go :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

I wouldn’t be able to handle that, I hate people!!

1 Like

i would tell her that you want her out of your house and give her a time limit when she has to be out

1 Like

If she pays rent, then she is entitled to have over anybody she wants when she wants. She pays for that privilege.

5 Likes

She needs to move out.

Gotta establish boundaries. Maybe have set days when the kids come over. That way its expected As a renter she should be able to have people over but as family she should be able to be considerate to everyone in the house. I personally wouldnt live somewhere I couldnt have who ever I wanted when ever I wanted but when I lived with my mom I respected her boundaries even tho I paid rent. Now I rent to a man now and when we are going to have extra kids over we simply communicate and check with eachother to make sure no ones gonna be sleeping or going to bed early for work ect. Sometimes we are not in the mind place to have people or extra kids over. Usually we just hang out in our rooms if we dont feel like sharing a space but its not constant.

3 Likes

Weve had numerous family/friends live with us over the years. Unfortunately, they all end up ungrateful and taking advantage of the situation. Start sending her listings of rentals.

2 Likes

You need to have her move. End of. She wants to be able to entertain like this, she needs to have her own space to do so. Hubby needs to grow up and pioritize the partner he chose.

4 Likes

No ma’am! No ma’am! Your husband needs to be a man and take up for you in your household. How is a person, MIL or not, gonna come to someone else’s house and tell them what will or will not happen in their house?? If there are times you’d like to be to yourself and don’t want people over that’s your right. If y’all can’t come to a compromise on that, that’s where the husband needs to step in. If he won’t or can’t then they both need to go, rent or not

1 Like

I think if you are going to charge her rent the she needs space to entertain guests. Is there any way you can make her her own apartment with her own bath and kitchen. Seems like the best way to keep peace to me.

5 Likes

If y’all don’t need the rent money she’s paying you, let her move out. Nobody wants to come home to a full house every single day. But just bc she’s paying ready, doesn’t mean she gets to be disrespectful. If she can’t respect you, then you and your husband should definitely have a talk with her, if he can’t defend you in her disrespect…especially in front of your children. Then I would most definitely talk to him alone, if no other choice try a separation. That seems a little toxic, your home should be a place of peace

11 Likes

Sounds like she may be trying to break up the marriage.

7 Likes

If u and ur husband own the house give her an eviction notice have her move if ur husband don’t like that idea id tell him he can go with her but don’t allow him to leave with ur daughter

Quick pack up now and move. Find a duplex to buy so she can have her own place. I think your being selfish honestly

2 Likes

Sounds like a turf war. Control issue. You can only compromise. She is right - she shld be allowed, but she has to respect your wishes and make it certain times or days. Not everyday. She can go out too I hope. Good luck

1 Like

30 day notice then evict her…

1 Like

She pays rent tho? I feel like she should be able to have people over then if she does pay to stay there. But if it’s a big problem then maybe she should find somewhere else to rent a room or something. Your husband won’t be happy but if he won’t take your side then find some places she could rent or rent just a room and show them to him and tell him she’s all ready to go he just has to be the one to tell her. Don’t let it ruin your marriage.

1 Like

Since she does pay rent I think she should be allowed to have family over…but not everyday and she should still make sure it’s ok with you and that you don’t have plans or have your own people coming over. If your husband has an issue with backing his wife then maybe he and his mom should get their own place together. That is your home and not hers. She seems very disrespectful and there is no way I would let anyone disrespect me in my own home.

1 Like

Let her move out! Unless you can’t pay rent without her then deal with it.

I’d tell her take her rent money and shove it and gtf out my house & I’d tell your husband to go with his mother since he seems to be stuck on the nipple still. I wish my someone tell me go to my bedroom like a child they and the company be out my house fast.

6 Likes

I agree with you I like my space. And like to walk around my house how ever I want whenever I want and don’t like company very often. She should understand and be considerate since It is your house and have company over maybe just on weekends or something. I say sit down and have a real talk with her and your husband about the situation and how it’s bothering you

1 Like

I’d be telling her to go, it’s your house not hers

2 Likes

Take ur child and leave when people are over , if you husband doesn’t see that this is an issue than you might be better off…focusing on you and ur kid.

1 Like

MIL needs to move out. Husband is “suppose” to put his wife above his mother

2 Likes

Throw her out hubby don’t like it! He can go too!

1 Like

Your husband needs to grow a backbone and tell her no mas

2 Likes

Tell her to start packing…!!!

1 Like

MIL can move out if she cannot respectful. Mommy’s Boy can go with her.

5 Likes

That’s manipulation and emotional abuse. Hubby needs to step it up and confront her. If he doesn’t, you know he doesn’t respect you.

12 Likes

…as soon as you said your MIL lives with you I thought …‘Oh hell no!’

7 Likes

Sounds like it’s a control thing, over your husband and your home both. Perhaps bring your friends over a few days when she’s trying to rest/sleep. Turn about is fair play. It’s a dirty maneuver, sure, but maybe it will at least get the point across, or make her less comfortable there.

4 Likes

She needs to move out!! Maybe go live with the ones she needs to see everyday :joy::rofl:

6 Likes

Rent or no rent. Use welcomed her into your home. Everyone has a right to quiet time and to be able to relax. Maybe try talking about certain days ect. She needs to show use respect as use show her. How would she feel if u blasted music and threw parties all the time. She would it needs to be mutual agreement and consideration for each other. Id def let her leave if she keeps bringing it up

1 Like

I would personally, let her move out. Give her the proper 30 day notice since she pays rent, but I wouldn’t allow her to run your house. Especially when she doesn’t own it.

1 Like

Is she dying? Does she have cancer? Is there a reason she cannot leave and needs company every day? Are her days numbered?
These are things I need to know before I suggest she be reasonable and try to understand your position. Her selfishness will be the end of her son’s marriage and her response is I wish you would just leave? Before you do, you need to let them both know how you feel.

1 Like

My mother lived with me for 6 yrs we finally split best decision ever

I honestly dont think a marriage is survivable living with in laws

12 Likes

Next time she threatens to move out, maybe help with her bags & the door :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

That’s some BS…respect has to be honored by both parties

1 Like

Tell her to take her curtains down and get the Fk out and take your son with you
This is my home and I hav aloud u the priviledge of living with us. End of story

1 Like

She pays rent. It’s like her renting another home of her own, and having people over. It’s her family. Her kids. he takes her side because she pays rent and those are his siblings that’s coming over… tell her that everyday is to much and agree on a certain amount of days. I mean, I don’t like company myself. But she should be respectful of the home.

1 Like

Kick her her out. It’s a pandemic people who aren’t family shouldn’t be over. And being told to leave your own house? Take your son with you too for that matter lady. BYE!

Erm she pays rent? Then sorry you might just have to get over it.
I’ve lived in many flatmate/roommate situations and I’ve never ever had anyone dictate to me when I can and can’t have visitors. And I would never dream of saying that to someone.
They pay a share of the costs so as long as the visitors aren’t causing a problem like eating other peoples food, intruding in other peoples bedrooms, and keeping antisocial hours then there isn’t anything you can do about it.

I feel like you resent her as she’s more social than you, which is fair to feel that way if you are more introverted and don’t keep visitors regularly.
But to me that seems like maybe you just aren’t compatible as housemates.
Maybe you need to sit down as a family and discuss the options for living separately as she shouldn’t have to become an introvert to keep you happy. That’s not her responsibility.
But you shouldn’t be forcing her into isolation just because you aren’t an extrovert.
Both solutions could seriously affect both peoples mental health.
That’s not fair on either side.
So the best thing to save the relationship by the looks is either living separately and she moves elsewhere, or maybe you could purchase/rent a larger house with two lounge areas so you can both have the space and lifestyle you need.

6 Likes

Talk to your husband and her at THE SAME TIME and tell them both how you feel.

1 Like

Build her a small home in your back yard if possible. She can have as much company as she wants without intruding your home. A mothers den.

5 Likes

As long as she is paying rent she can have over who she wants.

4 Likes

Kick her out. She can live elsewhere.

Best would be to sit with them both ur hub and MIL; tell them you can adjust with her not paying the rent for sometime…concentrate on building a nice bedroom and a living room on the first floor or anywhere near. Say you will help when u can…just because u do not want to create a fuss from time to time for the kid Love your MIL, your husband will side u on this! I love my space as well…my MIL lives in another house in the same yard…and we share a beautiful relationship.

3 Likes

I have no clue why you would want your child around this woman

1 Like

Let her pay rent somewhere else! That is your castle and your hand that rocks the cradle!!! If husband doesn’t agree make a plan to create your own place!!!

5 Likes

Maybe she needs to move out . It would be better for everyone in the long run. Everyone needs their space to appreciate each other more.

1 Like

She pays rent. Nothing you can do

1 Like

NOPE… MOTHER IN LAW NEEDS TO GET HER OWN PLACE.
You need to have a serious talk with your husband. If he can’t see how his mom is causing issues between the both of y’all, then you have a choice to make: suck it up and stay OR pack your bags and live happily ever after. :100::100::100:

1 Like

She needs to leave. It is your house. Husband needs to get himself sorted real quick

2 Likes

Your husband should be on your side. They are both the issue.

1 Like

Not sure on yours and her financials or space but have you’s thought about building a granny flat on your property for her that way she has her own area for entertainment? Alot of families are doing that here in Australia that way family are still able to look after each other but giving the needed space and peace

3 Likes

Take her up on her threat. Why cant she move out?

4 Likes

That is one toxic relationship. And that husband needs a brick upside his stupid head. I don’t even have any advice. I’d take my kid and leave, and file for sole custody.

i would b telling her where to go if the house is yours brought and payed for is your name on paperwork

In Canada if someone is staying at the Owners home even if they’re paying rent, they don’t get tenant rights. If the mother in-law has an issue, she should be moving, not the other way around. It’s not the wife’s job to accommodate his mother when she clearly isn’t buckling at any sort of compromise. I would be putting my foot down and having no sympathy once handed disrespect like that.

1 Like

The BIGGEST problem I see here is you said “this is my house TOO” From what I see that should have read “this is my house PERIOD!” You have allowed her to live in your home and she should respect that!

3 Likes

Time to find mummy dearest somewhere else to live. Everyone is saying she pays rent she can have who ever she wants over, but it’s called respect I have lived in share houses even ones when I didn’t like my house mates I still didn’t invite people over to purposely piss them off and always let them know. Also hubs has to man up its actually your house she is lucky to be living there. He needs grow a set and stand up to his mummy and back his wife and children. Find her a granny flat or small until nearby so she is still close but not quite so close. I hope you have spoken to her about the comment of you leaving in front of your child you need to call her out on that thats not acceptable. Basic respect needs to be there either sort out a middle ground about the visitors and respect or she needs to find somewhere else to live.

2 Likes

She needs to go. That’s not acceptable at all. It is your house not hers. If she can’t respect you don’t want people over she needs to stop. Even if I lived with family and paid rent if they don’t want people here I won’t have people here. Maybe outside but not in the house.

1 Like

Tell her to get out and get another place

1 Like

Start walking around butt ass naked, that should solve the problem, lol

12 Likes

She needs to get out
That’s very unhealthy dynamic for you, your child and your marriage

3 Likes

I mean yes… kick her out OR maybe propose “as you live here & pay rent ect, may we please come to a compromise of 2 weekends you can have people here & 2 weekends you can go visit them at their homes as I’m in need of some personal space & down time within my home”

1 Like

Start walking around naked

1 Like

Kick the husband and mil out. That’s you and your child’s home. Fuck them two! They wanna go against you they can live together elsewhere!

3 Likes

That’s a big conversation you need to have with your husband. Tell him how you feel and that you won’t put up with it anymore, but also be open to hear his point of view.

Stop charging her rent and set new rules or kick her and her son out the house. Even if you stopped charging her rent at this point and you wanted her to leave, she doesn’t have to until you evict her. Right now she pays rent so technically it’s her house too and she can have over who she wants. Either way she sounds like a total crotchety bitch because most people in their right mind would want to compromise on certain things to keep the living situation comfortable. Especially if they don’t own the house. But clearly your husband is a mommas boy and a pushover and she knows that he’s on her side regardless if she’s right or wrong. I couldn’t deal. I’d leave them both in the dust TBH.