My mother in law told my daughter she should NOT have a dinosaur themed bedroom: Advice?

There are plenty of ways your daughter can have her dinosaur themed room and still make it girly i say go for it!!

2 Likes

My 3 yr old daughter is obsessed with dinosaurs all her toys are “boy” toys trains cars Dino’s that’s all she plays with and when she goes to pick out a toy at the store that’s the first place she heads! give that girl a Dino room💜

1 Like

But yea agreed she should be able to express herself any way she likes

Just make sure you give her the best dino theme room then, extra dinosaurs everywhere

3 Likes

My daughter is now 10 and has moved on to other things now… But she was dinosaur obsessed from a young age up until not long ago.

They literally make girl dino decor, and paleontologists are both male and female… your MIL is a :woozy_face::peach: and u should tell your daughter that… Also… surprise ur daughter by doing the makeover without her knowing

1 Like

Ridiculous! All children are fascinated with dinosaurs! Tell your daughter she can have her dino room and it will be beautiful! Let your husband deal with his mother!

1 Like

Give your daughter the Dino room. Let your mother in law. Know nothing is wrong with what your daughter wants. An you would not appreciate it if she would discourage your daughter.

Let her have a Dino makeover. :sauropod::t_rex:

Just do her room when she’s at school or something and let her come home to the awesomeness and tell your mother in law to back tf up.

Oh you’re poor child. Screw your mil. She had a chance to raise hers how she wanted. Thanks for the input, but no thanks. She has no right acting like that about how you want to raise your child. I vote you do what your child wants. This may be one of those situations that seriously impacts how your daughter sees things. The way you handle it, I believe she will remember more. I say, hold your ground. There is NOTHING wrong with a girl loving dinos.

I would be saying to my daughter that she should disregard MIL because having a dinosaur themed room isn’t harmful to anyone, that she has to be happy with the decision because she is the one that has to spend more time in there. It’s a good time to learn that you shouldn’t base your decisions on the opinion of people who don’t have to live with the consequences. MIL should mind her own business. Does MIL have financial input into this at all?

2 Likes

My nine year old daughter LOVES Jurassic World! She also loves and has forever loved Dino Dana on Amazon prime! I say go for it! And tell your MIL that archeologists are also women and that her love for dinosaurs is great and could get her far and it’s also a feminine thing to love dinosaurs!

It’s your baby… just do what your child wants n let the mum be upset. If she says anything to your daughter then step in and tell her to leave her alone… don’t go off tho, just tell the MIL …If she wants confrontation after you were calm then i guess you have a valid reason to lose it lol hope I was helpful :rofl::purple_heart: good luck

Your house …your daughter …

3 Likes

So your mother in law doesn’t think girls can be paleontologists? :thinking:

My daughter loved dinosaurs, and anyway it’s your child and if that what makes her happy then go for it

2 Likes

I’m 33 and I want a dinosaur themed bedroom. Sounds awesome!!

3 Likes

My dad and I go around in the same kind of ways about purple and pink with my sons. I just try and let the kids be kids and the old crankies be old Crankys

2 Likes

Tell your mil to kick rocks? Last time I checked, she’s not her mother. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

I would tell her to stay in her lane and I would give your daughter a dinosaur themed bedroom and to top it off I would do dinosaur themed birthday for her next birthday party. If she doesn’t like it she doesn’t have to be there period.

8 Likes

I would have asked MIL if seeing Dinosaurs would bring back old memories of her youth but then again I am petty. :smirk:

17 Likes

My daughter has been obsessed with dinosaurs and godzilla since she was about 4 or 5. And she still gets dolled up and girly. She has also been dinosaurs and godzilla for halloween the last few years.Your MIL was wrong to dismiss your daughters interests. Dinos can be for girls and boys maybe one day she will be a great paleontologist and do what she loves. Your MIL sounds like she is unhappy with her own life.

1 Like

Tell MIL to leave the raising of your child up to you! Do the room as your little girl wants to do it!! Don’t back down if this is what your little girl wants! Surprise her with how awesome you can be!! Let her help chose the different types of dinosaurs that she wants to use! Go for it!!

1 Like

Tell Karen to stop being sexist

Your child your house your money, and you do get girl dinos, its your daughters room, so jyst go and do it as you want to.

1 Like

You should sit down, and talk to your daughter and very calmly tell her, “grandma, is a dinosaur. So, she doesn’t remember that you can like anything you want to” then paint it together.

8 Likes

My advice is to completely go over board with her room and go full dino mode. Also get her a dino dress to wear for the next time she sees your MIL

6 Likes

Tell your mil to mind her own business. And say in future you’d prefer her not to push her archaic views on YOUR child :unamused:

I would tell MIL that I think what she said was terrible and that taking away something a child loves based on old ideas is wrong. I wouldn’t argue further, though.

That’s because I’d be talking to my daughter about how MIL was raised in a different time, and how terrible and sad it was that kids like MIL weren’t allowed to like what they liked for reasons that don’t really make sense…then I’d tell my daughter not to judge MIL, but also not to listen to her broken ideas because they come from a broken heart…I wonder what MIL liked that was banned…:pleading_face:

On a related note, this line of clothing is built around hard-to-find interest and STEM themed patterns: https://princess-awesome.com/

2 Likes

Your child, her room, your house. Make your daughter happy!!

To handle your daughter’s newfound insecurities, I would get books from the library highlighting women doing jobs related such as paleontologists, archeologists, etc. Explain that Grandma is a little older and doesnt know that women can do anything and everyone has different interests. Explain how you. Grandma, Dad, siblings, etc all like different foods or different candy and that liking dinosaurs, or princesses, or basketball, or whatever, is just a matter of preference and individual likes and dislikes. Its ok to say that Grandma was wrong.

For Grandma, calmly explain how you feel and maybe let her look at the same books and hear the same talk you give your daughter. This is a good way to educate her too. And, your daughter is watching your interactions with Grandma so be respectful.

5 Likes

NOT MY PHOTO But please someone explain to me what is so wrong with a girl having a Dinosaur bedroom. Your daughter, your house, your choice! My 6 yr old grand daughter LOVES Dinosaurs and if she wanted a bedroom decorated like that I’d do it. Tell MIL to kick rocks.

10 Likes

I feel you many people have opinions on my daughters likes she is a kid that likes dinosaurs, monster trucks, motorbikes and skateboards when she felt insecure about liking these things we found things that were what she liked but with a girly twist on them things like this were great and can find so much more also now she doesn’t care what people think and just picks what she wants and if anyone has an opinion she just tells them it’s my choice you wear and like that because it’s your choice 8 years old and is so savage about it lol

1 Like

Imo - that’s sooo wrong & mean of your MIL. Hopefully your husband backed you and said something to her about it! I would google some videos of boy AND girl paleontologist to show your daughter and to show her there is nothing in the world wrong with that! Hopefully she will get excited about it again!

Let your daughter know everyone will have an opinion no matter what they do in life,If YOUR daughter is happy that’s all that matters! End of story.

2 Likes

It’s ur daughter, ur house, u do what you and ur daughter please. She doesn’t pay ur bills

I feel your mil doesn’t understand and all she could see was a boy looking room. I would google and show her some ideas. Explain to her what she did and she needs to apologize to your daughter and decorate away. Just like what you and your daughter want. Girly or not whatever she wants.

Tell your MIL to stay out of it. This is how conformity happens. Just because she’s a girl, she does not have to have girly things. Those days are over. Waaaaaay over

2 Likes

I would absolutely just reassure your daughter that Dino’s are perfectly acceptable!! I’m 31 and have Dino stuffed animals, and have Dino wall decals coming.
As for your MIL I would tell her that as her parent you see no issue with her having a Dino themed room. And I would personally make her apologize to your daughter.

1 Like

Join a jurrassic park fb group for extra encouragement, and tell your mil to Rex-Off. I’m a 27 yr old woman, 75% of my shirts are Jurassic park relayed, I have 3 back pack purses, my entire car is dinos, and I have a dino collection. Plus there is a ton of “girly” dino stuff out these days.

1 Like

Just tell her to MYOB she has no say so AT ALL that your daughter IS NOT HER DAUGHTER and for her to KEEP HER MOUTH SHUT or she isnt allowed around your daughter any more​:tipping_hand_woman:t3: bet shell keep her mouth shut then?:woman_shrugging:t3:

I would be livid. Kids can like whatever they want. I don’t like girly things. I have always loved skateboards, bmx bikes, scooters and motorbikes.

Communicate with your daughter that there is nothing wrong with her liking dinosaurs. They are cool and just because she is a girl doesn’t mean she has to like pink or princesses. She gets to pick. Tell her that her grandma was wrong for making her feel like she can’t have her own likes and dislikes.

I would then privately tell the MIL that if she over steps again that she will not be allowed unsupervised around your kids/daughter.

4 Likes

Ur mother in law needs to butt out

Let her know that Grandma was offended because she herself is a dinosaur. And you can’t please everyone.

14 Likes

Shes YOUR DAUGHTER your mil had her chance to have kids and had kids so she shouldnt have no say so AT ALL UNLESS she has raised your kids. But thats my opinion. Grandparents should only have opinions if they bassically have raised their grandkids. Other then that they shouldnt have a opinion when it comes to you decorating your childs room the way they want it and i really dont see nothing wrong with it. If its a boy theme or girl theme so what?

1 Like

You can’t change other peoples mind sets and opinions. You just need to talk with your daughter so she understands that it is perfectly acceptable and she should do what she likes.

7 Likes

I would say its our choice not yours and girls can like dinosaurs if they want

Forget your mother-in-law and speak to your kid. Show her the various options available for a dinosaur room for girls then do it.

Your mil will have to swallow her words when she sees it done up.

1 Like

Your MIL needs to mind her own home and money. She was FAR out of line. Let her have it! Tell her exactly what you think and how it hurt YOUR daughter. HER granddaughter. Shame on her. She is old enough to know better. Sorry not sorry there is no such thing as girls toys or boys toys. There is no such thing as a boy themed room or a girl themed room. Your daughters room is what she prefers it to be. What she loves and what YOU HER MOTHER are okay with. Tell her the old fuddy duddy days are in the past. We have grown beyond raising OUR girls as little danzels in distress. We have bigger brains with far more interest than just sitting around and learning to play house with dolls and fake kitchens and fake vacuums learning from an early age to just be someones future little house wife. Girls play with “boy toys” and boys play with “girl toys”. I honestly feel embarrassed for her and her pea sized brain and that she can’t see past the tip of her overly powdered nose. Tell her to loosen her grip on those pearls and learn to expand her againg brain. This isnt the “good ol’ days” anymore. She is trying to keep her own sex and blood in the past. Please don’t ever leave your young impressionable daughter alone with this apron wearing/ button sewing Debbie Downer it’s my way or the highway train wreck freak show. When she is in your house she needs to obviously be told what rules are to be followed of puff bye bye no more visits from ghosts of Christmas past. She had her time to parent when she had her kids but that time is over and she needs to realize the difference between grandma VS Momma Bear. Even when you are in her house with YOUR daughter the same rules apply. Our girls today are stronger than ever and that’s because we are breaking down stupid gender roles that these old folks put up for us. They built that wall and we are tearing it down! We are raising the future and that future sure as heck looks brighter than her old past of silly minded milly mouth women. Hear us roar

1 Like

Wow the mil would not be coming over at all. She just Damaged that poor child’s heart. How dare anyone tell a child, boy or girl, they can’t have a dinosaur bedroom. News flash mil, dinosaurs are male and female. Lol geesh can’t believe this is a question. It’s not the mother in laws house or bedroom, not her business to even say anything. :woman_facepalming: not cool

3 Likes

My daughter absolutely adores dinosaurs. She has dinosaur toys and clothes. It’s your child, not hers.

It’s none of her business how your child’s room is decorated it’s her choice an the room is in your house not hers. My granddaughter who lives with me has just turned 5 an loves dinosaurs.My mum got her a beautiful bed set with pink purple and pastel shades dinosaurs on it’s very pretty.Her room is painted in lemon and looks wonderful she has fairy light around the bed an her room looks lovely.You can make her room look really pretty.Ignore mother in law do what makes your child happy.xxxx

The theme and the way it is decorated is your daughter’s choice not you MIl’s choice. A dinosaur that looks like Dino from the Flintstones would be good on the wall and getting a female One would be easy.

Your mil is dead wrong for that!

1 Like

Tell the MIL to quit being a Karen and mind her own business. She had her chance raising kids and this one is YOURS so she has zero place speaking on ANYTHING in her life.

5 Likes

Did I just read right? Sorry lovely but your mil needs to pull her head in, if YOUR DAUGHTER wants her room to be a dinosaurs theme then give her dinosaurs and feel free to give her a piece of your mind as your house clearly doesn’t discriminate based on gender and that’s beyond awesome fyi I’m a mum of 4 boys plus the man child, also have only one niece and two nephews and I’m tickled pink that my niece asked me for her first football as the pair of us are a rare breed of girl that only has brothers and tell her it’s us girls that actually rule the dinosaur research world wide because as Beyonce says girls rule the world

My girls both love dinosaurs, we’re doing my new baby boys nursery Dino theme and my girls are so excited to help decorate it by drawing Dino pictures and sharing their Dino toys

I would sit my little girl down and tell her that there are a lot of lady dinosaur scientists who started out as little girls who loved dinosaurs. Tell her that grandma is from another generation and they do things differently sometimes, but that doesn’t mean she has to. Tell her that she can have a dinosaur bedroom if she wants one. Help her decide if she wants to go cartoon dinosaur or science dinosaur. I’m sure there are dinosaur decoration stuff either way. If you want, you can tell her that this writer has been a dinosaur fan for all her life. I wanted to grow up to be a dinosaur scientist(a paleontologist) but because my mom was like her grandma, I didn’t get to because I wasn’t encouraged or helped to find financing. It’s very sad. Tell her she’s a good girl and she’s very smart.

2 Likes

Jus tell ur daughter that mama was wrong… boy and GIRLS can have whatever theme they want… my oldest girl would rather play w cars lol but noone says anything to her…
Just do a surprise dino theme room for her if u must… she’ll absolutely looooove it!..

If mine had said that infront of me to one of my children, I’d have cut her off… put her in her place and told her to leave, and not come back until she could apologise and respect my child as an individual.

Dinosaurs are AMAZING! Look up woman paleontologists for her and show her that plenty of women make dinosaurs their entire career so she is more than able to have a dino room. Then either you or your partner need to have a private conversation with MIL about what is and isn’t appropriate to say in front of your child. She can think girls shouldn’t have dino rooms all she wants AND keep that to herself. It’s not her child.

13 Likes

Well you stand by your baby nmw…now… and tell your mother in law to raise her own kids how she wants…

Balls to your MIL! YOUR HOUSE, YOUR CHILD, YOUR FUNDS DOING THE DECORATING…She hasn’t got a say in it!

Do your little girls bedroom how your little girl wants it it’s got nothing to do with your mother in law at all it’s your house your daughters bedroom she wants it dinosaur themed so there for do it for her and your mother in law will just have to suck it up

1 Like

I would’ve said IN FRONT of the mother n law how that way of thinking is wrong. Then explained to MY child and that guys do ballet, gymnastics, etc. just as girls play football, race cars, and more. Girls can like any sport, any theme, and any color because they’re only sports, themes, and colors and are NOT based on gender. My son did cheerleading just as my daughter does tackle football and they do whatever sport they want because it’s a sport meant to have fun. Show that girl how many ladies have worked in the field of studying :t_rex:.

There r girly dinosaur rooms u can do…spray paint will help alot

1 Like

My only concern would be how frequently you are planning to decorate the room. What you like aged five might not be the same by aged eight. Otherwise go for it!

Simply make a Dino room. And you need to tell the MIL thats it’s unacceptable to stomp on a young child’s room because paleontology isn’t gender specific and if the kid likes dinosaurs then dinosaurs it is and if she continues to say inappropriate things and squashing dreams using “it’s not girlie enough” then the MIL won’t get to come “hang out” as often and interactions will be monitored and timed. Explain what she did was hurtful.
And truth be told, depending on age, kids change their mind often about what they like. Buy the kid something cool that’s Dino themed like a night light and see what she does :grin:

1 Like

Youre a better person than me. Id have exploded by now . Old fashioned ideas have no place in todays world . Your child …your rules.

2 Likes

Yeh I would just explode, no point being nice

Do it, ignore the mother in law, your daughter should have what she wants.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts but I find it awesome and she shall get what makes her smile :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Go full dinosaur if that’s what she wants! My advise? Kids change favourites often so keep walls neutral and change furnishings/decor

2 Likes

I have 11 year old girl almost 12 and she’s obsessed with dinosaurs ever since she was around 3-4 years old, she has heaps of dinosaurs and I don’t see a problem with it it keeps her happy and that’s the main thing

So this is the type of person I am. My whole freaking house would be dinosaur themed. In fact you may not enter my house unless you tell me ONE dinosaur fact.

3 Likes

I would tell your daughter that if she loves Dino’s she can have Dino’s.

Tell your MIL to shove her opinions where the sun doesn’t shine lol. She’d hate to be my MIL. Both my kids get to wear and play with girl things and they’re boys.

2 Likes

Wait you did say nothing​:clap:t5::clap:t5::clap:t5: not me. Make the dino room big and loud. So she can see that no one cares about what she has to say. And where is dad when his mum is talking to his daughter like this :skull::skull::eyes:

1 Like

Ummm I LOVE dinosaurs and I’m 34 :rofl:. Tell your MIL to shove it. It can actually still be “girly” they have so many pink and purple dinosaur things nowadays :star_struck:

2 Likes

I would of told the mil she wasnt welcome back for talking like that to my child

1 Like

Good grief. With that attitude, MIL is the dinosaur!

3 Likes

You don’t have to approach her at all. She is YOUR daughter and if she wants dinosaurs in her room let her.

7 Likes

:joy: make sure that you include extra dinosaurs

6 Likes

I had a dinosaur themed room when I was younger. Dinosaurs are for all ages to enjoy. I’d tell the mother in law to kick rocks. Tell your daughter it is absolutely fine for her to have a dinosaur bedroom. The monster in law needs to back off.

1 Like

Tell her to butt out!

Well my 12yr old daughter loves dinos still so tell your mil to shut up

Tell your daughter she is old and some ppl get confused as they get old lol

7 Likes

How I would have ‘approached’ her … followed by a ‘Camp Cretaceous’ binge fest. Also helps to model some amazing feminine women in paleontology (Mary Anning, Marie Currie, Jane Goodall). I recommend following A Mighty Girl for more resources. You are more of a role model to your daughter than your MIL so enjoy it and she will follow suit! :sauropod:

3 Likes

Ur daughter give her what she wants am only saying ur choice :relieved:

Your husband needs to handle the mess his family created.

2 Likes

Id go dinosaur shopping while she’s there maybe even being her along but I can be petty lol

1 Like

Your daughter, your house and let your daughter choose what she wants. And let your MIL bugger off

1 Like

My daughter has loved dinosaurs :sauropod: :t_rex: since she was around 5. She’s now almost 15 and still loves dinosaurs. She loves jurassic park movies and watched dino documentaries :film_strip: as she was growing up. She wanted to be an archeologist :mag_right: or paleontologist :cowboy_hat_face:when she grows up. She even had a dino themed birthday party a few years back. There’s nothing wrong with it! Give your girl dinosaurs!!!

Perhaps with out creating a war you could share that if it’s her space she can decorate it however she likes. :smile:

She is your daughter! You choose! Not her! Dinos are for all the ages! And gender! You have to be firm in your word, she is just your MIL and she is crazy, you are not wrong :blush:. do what makes your daughter happy :blush:.

Explode then…your child… your home… your child’s happiness.
You be nice she think she can control your home …so be nasty but nice with it

1 Like

Girls can have girl dinosaur theme

1 Like

Tell your Mil that her and her attitude isn’t welcome in your house and around your daughter. If your daughter wants a dinosaur room and she is happy with that theme then she can have it. If she can’t support that she can stay away.
Poor little darling

I’ve found plenty of dinosaur themed girl clothes

2 Likes

After leaving my previous job 6 months ago, i’ve had some good luck to learn about this website which was a life-saver for me… They offer job for which people can work online from their house. My latest paycheck after working for them for 4 months was for $15674… Amazing thing about is that the only thing required is simple typing skills and access to internet…

Read all about it here… https://ClickIntoWealth692.pages.dev/

1 Like