My partner( been together 22 years, just not married) teases the kids a lot

Man u wouldn’t survive my household. My daughter’s bday was yesterday and her dad come home from work and she said r u forgetting to say something to me and he went through all the holidays before he told her happy birthday

9 Likes

He may innocently be teasing but it sounds like she is not taking it that way. So in my opinion dad needs to be considerate of her feelings . While dads teasing is normal, all children take things differently. If it is bothering her and upsetting her he needs to know so he can respect her feelings. If he doesn’t know he cant change or fix it with her. Just talk to him about it so hes aware .

4 Likes

My dad was like this too. Its not bullying. Its his way of trying to bond.

5 Likes

Oh my god…some of y’all are ridiculous. Getting on your kids nerves is not gonna cause psychological trauma. That girl is gonna be in for it when she steps into the real world. If you think that’s mean, wait for the struggles of life to slap y’all in the face. If he was insulting them or hurting them that would be different but its harmless teasing that almost every damn parent does! Grow up and stop looking for stuff to complain about!

It’s normal, he’s trying to interact with them and make them laugh. My husband plays with our kids that way. It shouldn’t bother you that he’s actually trying and paying attention to the kids.

4 Likes

Wow if that is your biggest worry!

6 Likes

It’s hard having a high strung child when you’re the opposite. I would just talk to him in private, let him know how she’s perceiving his teasing and you if it’s really bothering you. Just keep in mind this is ingrained in him, it’s a form of bonding/playing with his family just as he learned from his own family. As for your daughter I would ask him to explain his love language to her himself since you don’t understand it :blush:

4 Likes

Sounds like he’s trying to get her to have a fun childhood. My dad teased me all the time and I hated it but now I look back and realize it was his way of showing love. One day she will too.

2 Likes

Bullying? Surely this post is a joke right?! Like this can’t be a real thing :joy::rofl::woman_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

Grew up in the 80’s and 90’s. Granted im a guy but in my day as a youngster EVERYONE’S dad was that way. Im that way. It hurts feelings sometimes and i apologize when i realize it. Sounds like there needs to be a conversation between them. Literally had a similar conversation with my daughter last night. Sometimes she doesnt know when im teasing her or if im just being mean. Had to explain that teasing was my way of showing affection. I forget that some girls cant take teasing as well as others. Its the same way with guys too.

My husband does the same thing and it drives my toddlers insane. Sometimes causes complete tantrums, but often a lot of whining or yelling. It drives me nuts. They’re only 2 and 3 but if it continues to make my children yell or upset, it’s gonna have to stop. My 3 yo is a really sensitive kid - I don’t think it’s fair to tell a child that young, who has a sensitive wired brain, to just suck it up.

Yes, you should tell him he is damaging his relationship with his kids. Tell him to stop because she feels bullied. If he refuses, take steps to protect your kids.

3 Likes

Social interaction. It’s not bullying because he’s not making her feel bad about herself or her image he’s trying to have fun and he’s not saying anything hurtful. Seriously how is asking her if a marker set you bought him was for him bullying? You are setting her up for failure in reallife and I am speaking from experience. I am not asking to be rude, I am asking because there may be something going on with her that has been unnoticed. Is she on the spectrum? If she is, then I can understand the reaction, but in all honestly, it sounds like it’s just a lack of social interaction. I have 5 boys, when my bonus some came to live with us, he had a very hard time with loud noises, jokes, leaving the house, etc and it was understandable because he hadn’t ever really participated in any of that kind of stuff. My youngest always calls my husband a girl and it’s a huge joke in our house, the first time my youngest called his oldest brother, (my bonus son) a girl, he cried. His dad and I sat down with him and had a long talk. We explained that people like to joke around and have fun. We told his brothers to leave him out of their jokes until he got used to it and when the boys would be pranking or joking each other, I’d pull him into my side and point out different emotional queues on his brothers faces and explained what the joking did for the relationship and eventually he started to feel left out of their joking and pranking so he slowly eased back into it when he realized that they weren’t being mean or bullying him they were just having fun and that it was okay to laugh and joke and make jokes; he’s not the biggest jester in our house. I don’t want to be that parent, but I will tell you right now, your daughter is going to hate school because most kids like to joke and and have fun and if your daughter can’t do that she’s going to have a hell of a time making friends because no one really wants to hang out with the kid that can’t take a joke.

He is normal and good humored. This is very good for your daughter. Sounds like she was on her way to being a dry and anal person and dad may be helping her loosen and lighten up in life. This is all good things. Don’t worry at all.

Y’all wouldn’t survive being in my family. Best of luck to him, maybe he should invest in some lamps so you both can lighten tf up.

21 Likes

He’s building character. Kids these days cry over everything. Gotta have thick skin to get through life… nothing wrong with him joking with her as long as it’s not name calling or ring disrespectful. Just my opinion.

5 Likes

Wait… we aren’t supposed to mess with our kids? Lol when my s/o hugs me I look at our kids and tell them “my daddy” and they say “no he’s our daddy!” And run up and give him hugs and steal him away :joy:

7 Likes

If the teasing is bothersome to your child, talk with your partner and explain that your child isn’t reading his affection as he sees it and he needs to lay off the teasing a bit. As for the unhelpful rude comments in this thread, shame on you guys for trying to guilt a mother looking for advice, this mother is just trying to find help.

That’s playful teasing. Nothing wrong or mean about it

I’m torn with this one…my hubby is the same way it never bothered me but as the kids got older they honestly struggled with telling the difference is dad joking or is he being serious…sometimes he would be trying to be serious with them and they would just not take him seriously and I would have to chime in pay attention dad is being serious…it caused a few arguments between him n I. My oldest daughter (20 now) and him still bump heads a lot, they are just alike!

1 Like

Communication is key. If your daughter is feeling bullied by his teasing he should sit down with her and reassure her that he is in fact only joking that way she doesn’t develop a complex and their bond stays strong

2 Likes

Doesn’t sound like teasing he’s just having fun with the kiddies my dad did this to my kids all the time we would get good laughs we still carry on with this my kiddos are older now but we still have good times maybe just let him know to tell kiddies that he’s only joking/ playing around

1 Like

So what you’re saying is, you’re raising 3 kids instead of two? Because that dude sounds annoying as fk

10 Likes

My husband always says “that’s my mommy” and my kids instantly get mad and defensive saying no it’s our mommy! And it continues and they start wrestling and laughing. This is parenting. Or no it’s my birthday to get them all fired up. If you are supposed to be serious all the time while being a parent I will be selling my kids on Etsy (bc they are a DIY that took 9 months to make.) lighten up and be glad your kids have a dad a lot of kids don’t :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I don’t see nothing wrong with it personally. I’m totally against bullying and this doesn’t come across as that… to me atleast!? Idk….but if it makes your daughter really upset then he should definitely stop.

1 Like

Lord… you wouldn’t survive a day in this house :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::weary:

7 Likes

As long as it’s playful and no actually being said seriously then I see no problem. Sounds normal to me. Lol

It is teasing for a little bit - if the kids are upset - it is bullying. Gentle teasing is okay, but if it goes on for too long - it is bullying. I know - had that in my life.

3 Likes

Me personally I think you just been with him too long and thinking of excuses to get out. That’s not teasing in my opinion. Don’t raise your kids to be such softies. Little jokes. Take it seriously when he starts calling them names or abusing them

1 Like

I see on the child’s end how it can be stressful and antagonizing but I can also see your partners side as well, with playing around and typical dad/guy/brother thing. Maybe he can just lighten up a little and only do that sometimes not every time or know his limit when he sees she’s getting overly worked up? I hope all works out well :heart:

Explain to him how it can be stressful on your daughter and sometimes is unaware if he’s playing around or not and when to know his limit.
And for your daughter you could try explaining that it’s simply (generally most) male humor, and that we can’t always control how other people act but we can choose how we react and how well let it affect us. :heart:

1 Like

I would have her talk to him about her feelings. It could be a big learning/bonding experience for them. Its also a good way to reach her to speak up if she doesn’t like something for if it happens at school or when your not around. I feel like it would be okay if she teased back but bc she doesn’t like it he should respect that and use another way to show he cares.

2 Likes

My Dad was the worlds biggest tease. Sometimes I enjoyed it and sometimes he made me cry. Tell her to enjoy it. Now that my Dad has passed I would give anything to be teased by him again. To me it was a sign of his love for me.

1 Like

Wow… maybe y’all should learn how to take a joke. :sweat_smile:

I think you should explain to him with her not around that it upset her a lot and it needs to stop.

I grew up on a family that calling each other a dork was a term of endearment lol. I am grown and have kids of my own I will straight up tease my kids so does my husband my kids have grown up around it and they just tease right back so I don’t see anything wrong with it. My husband and I do that all the time to my kids saying so you got me new markers or a new game and pretend to run off with it.

i dont think its funny, and believe these people that do this continuasly, really havent grown up jet.

1 Like

This is the dumbest complaint I’ve seen on here :joy:
Also if you SIX year old is saying “I won’t tease my kids like that” that’s YOU putting shit into her head

Both! You have to know when to let it ride and when to intervene. You need to figure out what is right and wrong for your child and their situation. Yes, sometimes in life they will get their feelings hurt but other times learn from it. There’s no black and white parenting book, do what you feel is best for each child at the time with the information you have. Talk with your partner about how it makes them feel about how you feel about how they feel. Communication is key.

1 Like

I would definitely tell him enough is enough and they dont think its funny but instead its frustrating for them!

1 Like

I remember my Moms partner used to tease all the Grandchildren and the adults and it was to the point where you just wanted to deck him. I used to get sooo frustrated I almost wanted to cry. I would beg my Mon to tell him to stop, but nothing worked. It was as if he was the biggest child in the group. I almost developed a hatred for him myself as it was non stop and intolerable. If your daughter wants him to stop you need to have an old fashioned sit down with him and explain how damaging it can be. She could end up totally resenting her Dad, and I’m not saying that lightly.

1 Like

I dont see anything wrong with it but if it affects your daughter like you say then maybe sit down with her and the father and let her explain to him how it makes her feel…
And if he doesn’t stop then that’s not cool

It’s teasing. It’s not harmful he is not insulting her. Stop being so high strung. She needs to learn that there are far worse things than him just picking at her playfully. My dad does the same thing and it’s just what it is. It’s not hurting us and I grew up just fine.

It’s definitely not bullying, it’s just the way some people interact with kids. My husband and my dad do it. If I felt my kids were getting upset (they are almost grown now) I would say something like “that’s not Daddy’s, he just being silly” and they would perk right up because he really was trying to be silly but he just didn’t realize they didn’t know.