My Partner Got Mad that I Didn’t Tell Him I Went Out With My Child: Thoughts?

This question was submitted to our community via our Facebook page and/or our Answers forum. Responses are also taken from the community. If you have your own parenting or relationship question you would like answers to, submit on Facebook or Answers.

QUESTION:

"So I’m really confused. And maybe I’m not seeing the bigger picture or the other point of view? I took my child to go see a movie, and then we went out and spent the day together. I didn’t think it would be a big deal that we spent quality one on one time together and then my kids dad found out about it tonight. He told me tonight that because I didn’t tell him what we were doing means that “he can’t trust me”, and somehow it makes me a “liar”? I didn’t think spending time with my child was going to be a drastic big deal. The movie we saw was one that he ended up taking his kids to see. So in the end, we all got to see it. (Before anyone says how we could have gone as a big family, we have Littles who weren’t going to sit through it, so it would have been a split trip anyways) I just don’t see the big deal. I think one on one child/parent time is important. Did I really do something wrong?"

RELATED: When a Granddaughter Told Her Grandma Her Husband Cheated on Her, She Had Some Sage Advice We All Need to Hear

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

The following top answers have been selected by a moderator from hundreds of responses to the original question.

"What you did was absolutely fine and completely normal and should not need a supervisor to let you know that it’s okay. It sounds like your partner is mad controlling and has some serious issues… honestly if he’s getting mad cuz you went out with your child it’s only going to get worse if I was you I would cut my losses now…"

"I don’t think you did anything wrong do you have to run everything by your partner so everytime kids have a poop red flags he’s being an arse how is you doing things with your child make you not trust worthy he has some issues."

"Okay seems very strange to be upset over something like that. I’m not sure if it maybe triggered a trauma response in your partner… but sounds like they felt left out and retaliated in a quick instant, like fight or flight response… I wonder if it brought up some traumatic childhood memory or something. YOU did nothing wrong but it definitely needs to be communicated about once your partner calms down cause that was a strange response."

"I have 4 kids, and I spend one on one time with each individual one when given the chance! Absolutely nothing wrong with it."

"If you didn’t tell him what you were doing especially if something happened to you and the child nobody would have known because you didn’t tell anyone so yeah I see why he’s upset."

"You should be able to do whatever you want. I get it a quick text we going out see ya later. But sounds like he has a personal problem of some sort."

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW: