My partner never compliments me: Advice?

It don’t get any better. Once the new ness of a relationship wears off and men are comfortable a lot is gonna change. I been with mine 21 years and everything has changed. We’re more like roommates now

5 Likes

I think the bigger issues is why you need it to feel good?

Love languages - it’s a good book to read :heart:

4 Likes

My girlfriend is the same way she wont really compliment me and sometimes it makes me kinda down cause I would like to feel appreciated

Normal in my life too

Seems fairly normal. Your feelings are valid. Sounds like you need to set some time for romance.

You seem to have everything you need, and yes, we all want to be Appreciated, and given the Credit we as Wives deserve, but THANK yourself Lucky that he is not a CHEATING MAN. That in itself is a HUGE COMPLIMENT.Appreciate all you have, enjoy your Life

24 Likes

He may just have a different type of love language. There’s 5 different love languages I believe, he obviously finds you attractive if hes a loyal and good good guy and is there with you through everything he’s obviously in love you with and attracted to you or he wouldn’t be putting all that effort in. If in his your beautiful everyday he may not see the reason for saying. I understand how you feel though for sure and your feelings are very valid. Look up the Love languages. I feel like he may he just shows his love in affection in different ways.

11 Likes

Ohhhh 100% normal, I’ve spoken to my partner about this many a time and he is absolutely amazing but, same as you never compliments, which is fine but I asked him why and he said that he always tells me I’m beautiful. Yes he does but as you’ve said when I’ve made a real effort to look good why don’t you say anything then? His response was, because you made yourself look beautiful for you, you tell yourself you’re beautiful you always look beautiful in my eyes. I see his point and I think it is just genuinely some men simply don’t think to say what they’re thinking

9 Likes

Ughhh at some of these comments…
Why settle for it?
Why just accept it?
Why isn’t this woman allowed to want a little more?
To the poster though…
You want compliments, probably to boost your self esteem or to know that your husband still finds you attractive.
Set up a romantic/sexy night.
Dress up in his favourite lingerie. Get your sex appeal on.
Make yourself feel like a damn goddess.
And when he comes to bed… take charge. Tell him to lie down and put his hands on the head board. Explore him with your hands, your mouth. Make him feel like pleasure starts and ends at the tip of your tongue…

3 Likes

I could of wrote this myself … My fella is the same … he’s a good man who works hard and spends all he’s spare time with me taking me on dates/holidays ect but is not very good at giving compliments however in his own little way I know he is totally inlove with me … instead of compliments I get coffee in bed and told to put my feet up …He wants to hold my hand when we’re out walking and always walks on the outside of the path he really is so good at taking care of me … It’s all these little things that mean so much more to me that I don’t even miss the compliments … As long as you like what you see in the mirror and as long as you love your self then that’s really all that matters :heartpulse:

2 Likes

I’m sorry but you have a good man behind you. So he doesn’t compliment you, doesnt mean he doesn’t find you as beautiful as the day you met and doesn’t mean he loves you any less. Not all men know how to show their feelings just like women. It’s about all the other bits that go into a relationship, enjoy it… I lost my husband in march, he didn’t compliment me either but I know he loved me and found me beautiful in all the ways that really count.

3 Likes

It sounds like both need to familiarize themselves with The 5 Love Languages.
I also recommend looking into Love & Respect, by Emerson Eggerich.

2 Likes

My husband can be like this, although he did ask why I’d dressed up to see my mum friend :rofl: I think its just men, there useless at compliments and any sort of romance, well my one is haha but I know what he thinks of me deep down, he accepts me for me and I’m ok with knowing that, I don’t need to be told all the time x

2 Likes

Same boat as you girls, been together 10 years, got 1 child together. Never get any compliments, and when I wear something for when I go out for a couple of hours with the girls, it’s just, why u wearing that? Or if I put shorts on to wear in the garden cuz the heat is just insane, its u don’t normally wear shorts so why now just cuz it’s hot. U do know everyone will be looking at you :rage: proper riles me. I’ve made a point now that I just say I will wear what I want when I want. I’ve asked if he wants to go on date nights, but his reply is, we’re not dating and it’s not even a thing 🤦

It sounds like you are really craving an emotional connection… it feels maybe you are missing that which makes your insecurities project by requiring validation. :purple_heart:

1 Like

All the same men always take women for granted but doesn’t mean they don’t notice

1 Like

Well maybe you should try to compliment him for all the hard work he does, it works both ways, he maybe a little shy about it so let you try and hopefully he will return with a nice compliment too!

Do you ever compliment him??
It’s a 2 way street really. Do you ever tell him how good he looks? How much you still fancy him?
Personally I prefer the fact that my husband shows he loves me in lots of different ways, like appreciating I get tired too & helping me with stuff in the house, kids, telling me to sit down & making me a drink, etc. He kisses me goodbye before he leaves the house, I know he’s always got my back & that we’re a team, he gives me a hug when I’m feeling tetchy, etc, etc. He doesn’t pay me compliments all the time because he says he thinks I’m beautiful all the time.
No relationship is going to have all the romance, showering of compliments/trying to impress that you get when you’re dating. Kids, dogs, managing a home, bills, etc take up your time after a while but if he shows his love to you & your children, is faithful to you, is not showering you with compliments the worse thing in the world?

6 Likes

Ummm my husband is ABSOLUTELY NOT a lovey dovey type and doesn’t necessarily realize when he is making me feel less than, BUT anytime I add a little mascara or anything he makes a point of telling me I look pretty that day, you deserve better my husband is not big on all the emotional stuff I need necessarily but he is always telling me how pretty I am even though I know he’d prefer I weighed a little more but he understands I desperately want to weigh more as well and am doing anything and everything I can to gain weight so he’s very careful not to make me feel ugly because he knows I already feel that way, and I am trying to gain weight because him and I would prefer me be heavier I wish I could get back to 120lbs like I was before my first child but ever since I can’t get over 100lbs to save my life idk what to do anymore

1 Like

Have you and your partner looked into love languages? I would start there, as a team, this will give you both a more indepth understanding of each other.

My partner is like this never compliments me. He is amazing in every other way. The closest iv gotten to a complement in a very long time was when I wore a dress I haven’t worn in years and he made a comment as we where going to bed that I could leave the dress on :woman_facepalming::rofl:

1 Like

He’s probably shattered, working hard for all the material things.

My question is, did he compliment you when you started dating, before you started cohabitating, and prior to having his children? If the answer is no, then he probably won’t be complimenting you anytime soon. It’s not that he doesn’t find you attractive, desirable, or sexy, it’s just that it makes him uncomfortable and I’m not sure he even knows how to do it. I think you would have gotten better results, if you would have “taught” him what you needed in the beginning. Now it’s gonna be a lotta hard work. Some guys are just like that… it’s kinda like pulling teeth. My husband wasn’t the complimenting type either. I could tell when he thought I looked good, but he didn’t say anything. So I kept bringing it to his attention and asking him and now he tells me on occasion. Now if you can’t live with that, then try a little counseling.

You’ve got ‘two kids, dogs, the whole 9 yards’ and you’ve managed to dress up ‘at least 10 times in 3 weeks’?! Many mothers wouldn’t get an opportunity to do that in a year and you’re still complaining?!

3 Likes

I would rather him compliment me when ive got me mam bun and no makeup on rather then jst wen yav dolled yaself up xx

He does compliment you by asking where you are going :joy::hugs:

1 Like

The amount of women in these comments who think we should be grateful just because we are married :woman_facepalming:t2: the day we stop acting like men are heroes for doing the most basic of things is the day they stop getting away with doing the bare minimum

1 Like

Get a life as long as u feel beutifull yourself its only words

My advice is that feeling beautiful should come from within. Don’t rely on someone else to make you feel beautiful x

Women need to hear and feel beautiful! :heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

try being a man we never get compliments

1 Like

You both need counseling

Maybe he just likes you the way you are! :eyes:
What are you 14 :sunglasses:

Do you compliment him? Works both ways you know!

10 Likes

What is wrong with you females of today.
3rd story from a wife who has the ideal mate but is ready to leave over a trivial matter.
Why can’t you just be happy with the fact that he chose you as his life long partner when he could have married his many exes.
Unbelievable.
He doesn’t compliment you?
Look at the ring on your finger, he’s telling you that he loves you, what more do you want?
Stop whining.

6 Likes

Easy to focus on the one thing he’s not doing than the many great things he is doing.

1 Like

My hubs never noticed when I change my style or hair colour lol, I dress nice for me … stop looking for approval from others look in the mirror and be the bad bitch you are… if he doesn’t notice others will :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My partner never compliments me: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

Do YOU ever compliment HIM?

2 Likes

Maybe he prefers you with a messy bun :woman_shrugging:t2: You shouldn’t be so dependent on compliments about your looks. That makes you seem insecure, and the fact that you’re literally asking your husband for them probably is alerting him that you’re insecure, which men don’t find attractive, so you’re digging a bigger hole. Find your own confidence and let it radiate. Then you are more likely to get a compliment that actually means something, not just words.

Actions speak louder than words !!

2 Likes

Honestly… same. I think it’s a man thing. I dont know. I don’t dress up but I’ll send him random riskè pictures and the last time I did he sent back “oh ok” :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Idk why manbe don’t know how wasn’t easy for him as kid freeing up ? Like some ppl can’t say love you. Would upset me too. Make sure u tell him he looks good too or what needs to be said good luck.

1 Like

Men don’t express things with words, always. Learn to recognize actions/body language. Pick your battles. If that’s your only worry, ride with it. Sounds like he does everything else and more. Words aren’t everything.

3 Likes

My husband still compliments me daily, and I think it’s sweet. If it’s important to you, he should put forth an effort, especially since it’s something he used to do. It sounds like he’s just become a little complacent. Send him pictures of you when he’s at work. Remind him you think he’s handsome and see what happens.

1 Like

That doesn’t seem like something that’s a big deal at all. You don’t fight much. He works hard and doesn’t cheat? I wouldn’t be complaining about a lack of compliments. But then again, my hubby tells me multiple times a day, everyday, how beautiful and sexy he thinks I am no matter how busted I’m looking lol. I got lucky as hell lol.

1 Like
  1. YOU are entitled to feel how ever you want! You don’t have to grow up, you don’t have to forget about it! You don’t have to pick your battles! Your feelings are justified!!! Apparently compliments are part of YOUR love language and yours matters as well! 2 what I have tried is asking him what he thinks! Compliments don’t just have to be random those are nice too I get it but just ask! “Hey babe what do you think do I look hot in this outfit or what I think my butt is on point :wink:” spice it up and make him comfortable saying those things. Alot of men are the environment they were raised in mine was military :rofl::unamused::grimacing::confounded: but 3 years and he’s made progress not miles but a couple yards and feet! But he is a good man and there is so much more to a relationship and a best friend than personal gratification. You got this girl!

:joy: i thought i had the only "where do you think your going " guy but thatcaboit the extent i get i really think they think thats a great compliment :joy: … It sucks sometimes bc it is nice to here compliments but i know we love eachother very much weve also been together 6 years have 2 kids and he works 40+ hours a week

1 Like

The people in this comment thread be like “he’s doing the bare minimum and doesnt cheat but you want COMPLIMENTS???”

If it’s important to you, he should try to put the effort in. I’m the same way, it’s nice to feel wanted by your partner. Some people need more affection and validation than others, don’t feel bad.

7 Likes

I used to get dressed up and do my hair and makeup every day, hardly got compliments from my husband (a few from my kids which even sweeter IMO) one day he came home and I was in his shirt, mom bun and no make up and he called me beautiful. Get dressed up for you, if your man doesn’t notice that’s on him.

4 Likes

My husband and I have been together 7 years married for 10 months have 2 kids and 1 in the oven. He doesn’t compliment me unless I ask how I look, but sometimes I feel like when he smacks my butt that’s him giving me a compliment. We also joke about going to see our bf or gf when we’re getting dressed into something nice. Maybe try complimenting him a lot and see if he returns the favor or open your eyes to the small gestures he does like hugging u or randomly kissing your neck.

Trust him in ways he shows it . Words some time lie. Just relax in your marriage, find comfort in having a good provider. Believe me nagging can cause a good man to look elsewhere for one to talk to.

3 Likes

My hair can be a mess and my husband pulls me in and tells me that he loves me and he thinks that I’m beautiful. He makes it a fact to tell me I’m beautiful everyday so I feel appreciated. Just like how I tell him that I love him and I appreciate everything he knows for our family

1 Like

You should watch touch by an angel episode with Kenny rogers it will put things in perspective Promise

Words of affirmation seem to be a big part of your love language, and the point of learning your significant others love language (like previously mentioned in other comments) is actually so you can love THEM in THEIR love language not your own. It’s ok to show it in yours also but to show it in theirs requires you to be intentional. I suggest taking the love language quiz together to see what % of each you both get. You can learn a lot about each other doing that. You can exhaust yourself loving someone in your own love language but that won’t necessarily make them feel loved if that’s not even a % of theirs. I also believe it’s important to remember the “never stop dating your spouse” even if you aren’t married but living together with children etc you should definitely make that time together a priority.

2 Likes

Male thing…most men dnt show emotions or attention. U know him he knows you, I’d b comfortable with that. As long as priorities are taken care off and kids are happy. That’s winning

Was the were do u think ur going serious?or a joke thst could.of been his way of complmenting you

1 Like

Honestly as a woman we like to feel validated, if compliments is what makes you feel that then he should do it. You say he doesn’t cheat and works etc like its a prize… thats what your supposed to do in a marriage but you also need to validate your partner too. Its not just about what he does. Compliment him, if you want that then you gotta do it too, but you’re giving him waaay to much credit for doing what he’s supposed to do. Doesn’t matter if he works 40+ hours he should still find 5 seconds out of his day to say you’re beautiful…

3 Likes

My husband is the same way. I can do my makeup and dress nice and it’s always after the shower and its bedtime. " you looked nice today, we can “wink wink”. I just look at him and say " you can’t say I look nice when I look nice. " He just gets huffy and rolls over.

That is normal, but yes, a problem.
Id get proactive. When you dress up and he doesnt say anything, Id have a quick chat and say “this is an excellent time for a compliment” or “this is when I expect a compliment”.

When you are learning to do a thing, the timing wont come naturally. Help him out by asking directly, nicely and in the moment for what you want.

If you do this regularly and he still isnt doing it independantly, then you want to look at counseling, because theres no more YOU can do.

Mine is the same… been together 12 years… I rarely get compliments but I rarely dress up also so it doesn’t really bother me, he shows me he loves me and appreciates me in other ways

3 Likes

Maybe try giving him compliments !! It’s a two way street & also some men just don’t know how to verbally express things like this , and they just assume we know …

Do it to him… give him compliments about how sexy he is, things you admire in the moment and see if it triggers him to do the same. Don’t expect results right away tho. Sometimes it takes someone to initiate a good thing… asking for it doesn’t always work. Some people just aren’t a way we want them to be.

3 Likes

He should say you are beautiful when you have your mom bun on because that is usually when we need to hear it the most. Beauty is part of who you are make up and hair fixed or not.

2 Likes

Do you complement him give him a hug and tell him hes great then he will get the idea

Do you ever tell him how handsome he is and that he rocks your world?

3 Likes

Do you ever compliment him? Doesn’t have to be how he looks, could be something that he’s done. It kinda needs to go both ways. He might not act like he wants to hear those things… but as you know, a compliment can go a long way. Wouldn’t hurt to try and see what happens.

1 Like

Mines same way. I have to ask him do I look okay or do I look pretty. It’s just a man thing. I wouldn’t let it get to you.

It’s typical. My guy is that way. He’s not a big talker when it comes to emotions and crap like that but he is good to me and my kids. I gave up on the argument of wanting the compliments. It wasn’t worth us being at odds. I look more into his actions than anything. Actions mean more to me than words anyways.

6 Likes

My boyfriend is the same. It bothers me. He knows it does. It makes you feel unattractive and super undesirable. I get it.
It feels like a lack of validation and gets to you after awhile.

I would try going out of your way to compliment him on his looks, as a father everything. Maybe then he will remember that it feels good to be noticed and start gushing on you :blush:. Been with my husband 12 years and a day doesn’t go by without some sweet words.

1 Like

Me husband is this way too! He’s not really big on emotions or complimenting but he does have his own way of complimenting me when I do dress up or do my make up and I like it that way… I completely understand your frustration about it too because it used to bother me but it’s not worth the fight for me. :woman_shrugging:t4:

Is he possibly completing you in other ways? Like thanking you for dinner or the house being clean? My bf is the same way. I’m 5 years in. He doesn’t call me beautiful but he shoes gratitude in other ways. It’s just his personality. I know without a doubt he loves me. He just shows it differently.

Even with your mom bun you should still be complimented. My boyfriend goes out his way to tell me I’m beautiful or sexy and make me feel that I am. Maybe try complimenting him too. Tell him its something you need in the relationship and that he needs to so better with it.

1 Like

He should compliment you all the time. Even when you have your mom bun on!

Compliment him as well see if that helps

1 Like

Compliment yourself around him. 🤷🏻 “oooo-wee I’m lookin fine today!!” :heart:

1 Like

I think actions speak louder than words–he works 40 hrs a week, doesn’t cheat and is a good guy.

7 Likes

Sweetie you absolutely deserve compliments, and too feel beautiful. Woman need and crave that from thier partner.

1 Like

look in the mirror and tell yourself.

1 Like

Make sure you compliment him too. A lot of guys will assume that after so long, you just KNOW that they find you attractive. Gently remind him you need to hear a nice thing about yourself every once in a while, but dont make it a fight

3 Likes

I don’t know if it’s normal but mine compliments me when I’m on the hot mess express or all dolled up. I’m awkward with compliments and feel like it’s excessive but it’s not. He’s just always been like that. I’m sure if he ever randomly stopped I’d ask him what’s wrong lol

2 Likes

Maybe y’all need to discuss love languages. Sounds like you need words of affirmations and he is loving you how he needs to be loved

6 Likes

It’s definitely pretty common. My husband never compliments me either. Every once in a while he’ll say, “you look pretty today.” Just know that he thinks you’re beautiful if he’s been with you for so long. Just ask him, “do you think this outfit is cute?” Little things like that. That’s how I get my compliments😊

1 Like

My husband compliments me even when I look like trash :joy: but I also compliment him a lot to. I think the mutual aspect of it helps but who knows some men(even women) just are not good with words

Don’t let everyone tell you that you’re lucky because he works hard he’s a good guy and doesn’t cheat. We’re already all expected of that by just being human and being a parent.
It’s not wrong of you to expect that from your husband everyone wants that even husbands. My advice would be to compliment him as well as talking to him about it. You can always try to improve your relationship. Nothing wrong with that.
Complaining about it and not doing anything to fix it is another thing. In your case I don’t think you’re asking too much.

5 Likes

Do you compliment him?

2 Likes

My husband always finds a way to compliment me. Even when I know I’m looking ugly af he still finds something lol

Ya know, whoever is “laughing” at this has got to be pretty sad, emotionally wise. This is a very valid inquiry and if you haven’t experienced it, well, refer to previous statement about being sad. As confident as one can be, we all, as women want to be wanted. To feel attractive, sexy, WANTED. Let’s keep it real, though, men are oblivious to women’s needs (for the most part). It’s only by good communication that these things can be resolved. Good luck!

4 Likes

Maybe you just got a big head about it. He sounds like a nice guy but your issue is he doesn’t compliment you. Just be grateful you have the life you have and be happy with just feeling good about yourself instead of looking for acceptance through him

4 Likes

That’s just not his “love language”. I have one sorta like that too. But I figured out how he shows his love is by working hard, making sure I have everything I need to be comfortable in life. He may just have trouble expressing himself

5 Likes

Just talk to him about it and tell him how you feel. Hopefully he’s the kind of guy that will make a conscious effort after you’ve told him how it makes you feel.

His actions are his way of showing you your his queen. When he says where do you think your going is his way of saying damn woman you look fine men suck at compliments after the kids, the house, the cars etc hes too busy being the stable man you wanted to worry about compliments he speaks to you in love by actions

If its not something he does naturally…most men don’t…then forcing the issue makes it fake :woman_shrugging:
Accept youve got a wonderful man who just doesn’t throw compliments around. He loves you and thinks you’re fantastic…just doesn’t feel the need to tell you . Maybe he thinks the fact that he’s working full time , loyal and faithful shows you what he cant vocalise

5 Likes

My husband isn’t a big complimenter either. But I compliment him and when I compliment him he will return the compliment. Other times I will just straight up randomly ask him when I’m dressed up and he hasn’t said anything if he thinks I’m pretty, of course he always says yes and then usually follows up with a knee pat or quick kiss. My hubs just doesn’t always think about it lol. A little nudge usually works. He may not tell me with his words daily or without prodding most of the time but he shows it! He will pat my butt as he walks by, come hug me from behind while I’m at the stove. Or place his hand on my knee or thigh when we are riding in the car. Still holds my hand when we are walking. And I wouldn’t say he is a very PDA guy but I KNOW without a doubt he loves me and thinks I’m attractive because he SHOWS me!

My husband never complimented me either. It hurt my feelings but I don’t think he was ever taught how to compliment. I finally just let it go.

3 Likes

Did that for 18 years, never got a compliment, it will never change.

I feel like I get more compliments when I’m dressed down than when I’m dressed up. Lol.

2 Likes

I felt this. I try not to take it too personal because mine just isn’t that type. He makes it known in other ways but talking isn’t his strong suit, so maybe yours just isn’t a talker as much as u would like

1 Like