My partner walked out and left us with nothing...advice?

My partner(now ex) has walked out on us. We had a joint claim/bank and he has cleaned out the account. He has also stolen money I had put away for any hiccups needing quick cash. I have changed the claim to a single claim now and explained what had happened but uc are unable to do anything. I have had food bank previously a few times so unsure if we are able to have any more vouchers. I have took every step I can think of so far.I’m looking for advice on how we can survive, where can I get help for food/essentials for my children until the 24th please. Really not worried about myself if it comes to it. There is myself and 3 children x Thankyou for reading if you got this far x

56 Likes

Are the kids school aged, here we have a back pack program that sends food home on the weekend

Do you have any community fridges in your area? Try your local council as well for a welfare program. Do you have any warm spaces you could goto with the kids? I’m so sorry this has happened to you

If you apply for SNAP and are approved in your situation you should be able to get them asap. Most food banks let you go once a month so if you haven’t gone in awhile you should be ok. Good luck

12 Likes

Yes, UC is universal credit.

Social services provides wick that provides up to five

Are you able to apply for snap? If not you can look into local churches or the kids school. They can help with providing at least something for you all. I mean I guess depending on where you live…but worth the ask.

Apply for food stamps in your area, not sure where you live but Wisconsin has a program called W2 that gives small cash payments for single mothers with kids

Check around for local churches, they might be able to help. Good luck :pray:

1 Like

You need to immediately filed for divorce and then you need to go apply for food stamps and assistance of other types. This is what that’s for. Hard times. And if you didn’t have a job before…unfortunately, you’ll have to get one now.
Sadly, because you are married and everything is joint, he was “allowed “ to do what he did. Doesn’t make it right.

He is statistically likely to not be done cannibalizing you and your children for money, assets, and possessions, protect yourself and your kids while you try and survive this theft and abandonment

This exact post was posted on my local group a while ago did you not get help from them?

Call 411. Also call any salvation army or women shelters, even if they don’t have the things u need help with they have alllll the resources. Apply for any and all assistance u possibly can. I had something similar happen, only we had just lost our home and we were supposed to all go to the shelter when he left. Than the shelter had no room. It was awful. Terrifying. Plus so emotionally exhausting. Im so sorry ur dealing with this all.

1 Like

Food stamps. Food banks. Child support. Alimony…

Unfortunately for the joint , theres nothing you can do. File for food stamps, medicaid and child support. If you have family , ask to stay for a while or borrow money if possible. Theres food banks. Stolen money i would call the bank if it was only in your name, might be able to get that back. Change pin numbers so he doesnt have that anymore. My ex. Stranded us as well. I hope everything will be ok

1 Like

If they are his kids take him for child support. List where he works and they can garnish his wages directly.

15 Likes

He’s pure scum. This also affects the children and he doesn’t even care. That makes him even bigger scum

What a crappy person to do this to her and 3 kids get him for child support how can someone make their kids and so go hungry he a monster I would check if that’s considered neglect and abandonment. I agree with whoever said contact his parents tell them what a horrible person their son is. He doesn’t even deserve to be a dad or partner.

Curious where you’re located? The way this was written makes me feel like you might not be in the U.S. and that could change the information on what you can or should do or who to contact. I am so sorry this happened to you regardless, he is an AWFUL AWFUL person for doing this to you and your kids.

5 Likes

Be careful.Scams like this are going around on different groups, hoping others will give them money

3 Likes

You can do a self referral for the food bank, they can help you identify all the free food stores and drive up distributions as well as help you apply for snap benefits, ma, etc.

That’s something you’ll need to put on your local Facebook page or groups, what we have here for resources may not be the same as you have where you are

If you are married to this man, file for divorce and that money he took would be marital property, making half of that money yours. Claim child support and filing fees, costs, and expenses and any other momentary expenses the court deems necessary and appropriate.

Close that joint account and open one solely under your name.

Ask for child support and child care (you’re gonna have to work and he should pay at least half of child care expenses)

Ask for him to pay half of medical expenses/insurance for the children.

File for emergency SNAP/Public Assistance, if needed.

4 Likes

Call 211 they are q national resources hotline

Go find him and take some money. Bring a metal baseball bat

Call 411 …& get you and your kids down to the Department of Children and Family Services asap.
They will help guide you and get you signed up to recieve an abundance of resources in the community as well as state and fed assistance in the way of food, clothing, healthcare, shelter, utility cost assistance, transportation, job placement & childcare services.
They will also get you legal assistance to petition the Court for the children’s father to pay emergency child support & alimony first …and to file for divorce including sole custody of children on the grounds of abandonment.

2 Likes

File custody and support asap. You should have legal aide available. Call family services for your area and see what services you can get set up for asap that you may not have qualified for previously. And honestly I’d post online or start calling family asking for assistance and throw his ass under the table. He’s a shitty person to purposefully make sure his kids are at risk.

1 Like

You may be able to get him for cleaning out your bank account and stealing money from you call the police hire a lawyer or something and go after his butt. He deserves nothing stealing from not only you but the kids he left behind he should be ashamed of himself.

3 Likes

I am so sorry that this has happened to you. If you have proof that you deposited some of the money/funds into account that he took, you can contact the police for assistance possibly. If you are married, they may not be able to help but if you weren’t, they possibly can. Some faith based groups have food pantries that may be able to assist you. I would reach out to food pantries and let them know about your situation and see if they can help you. I would see about filing a police report for the money he took. This would maybe help with you getting food assistance. Good luck :pray:

1 Like

Your first mistake was settling for a “partnership “ instead of marriage. Now you are paying the consequences. If you can get him to submit to a paternity test, you may be able to collect child support. If he refuses to do so, you are out of luck. Hopefully you have a supportive family who will help. LADIES! TAKE NOTE!

Do you have Venmo or Cash app?

Contact the police this is so wrong x

When you get back in your feet take him to court for financial abuse and also for stealing money.

5 Likes

Get a lawyer and get child support! He left you and your kids stranded. That’s unacceptable. How do you do that to your kids???

2 Likes