My sister in law plans to feed her child almond/soy milk: Advice?

I don’t see a problem with it. What do babies drink that cannot handle regular formula? Plant-based is probably much better. Cow’s milk was meant for baby cows.

2 Likes

My niece made her kids Vegan at birth got into trouble. Doctors caught it. Let her doctors find it. You research it pass information on via forward not your mouth. Pray let it work out.

A lot of pediatricians actually advocate against animal milk for kids

3 Likes

Also it’s not your business. Lol

1 Like

Full fat canned coconut milk

I’d say, mind ur business.

4 Likes

There is nothing wrong with drinking almond milk. Humans are the only ones who drink another animal’s milk anyways. My son drinks almond milk and lactose free milk (he’s lactose intolerant). Cow’s milk is not necessary.

5 Likes

yes-cow’s milk is for calves!!

2 Likes

Cow milk is gross it pink until processed cause of the blood in mucus in it​:mask::mask: No one should be drinking from an animal

1 Like

Not your kid, not your business. Keep your nose out of it. You don’t get to tell her what to do with her child. She can give her whatever type of milk she chooses. Cows milk is NOT a necessity. Why do you feel so strongly that she should be getting cows milk? If the child is eating enough during the day and growing properly the formula is not needed. Formula is literally FOOD, so if the child is getting enough food they are fine with less formula. Once they start table food you start removing formula and increasing the food intake. It’s called weaning. The night time bottle is the last to go. Sounds to me like she’s doing a great job and is doing exactly what she should be. Mind your own buisness and leave it between her and her pediatrician.

Cow milk isn’t needed. Overall diet is important.

Keep your nose out of your sisters business

1 Like

Neither of my children had cows milk after we wrapped up breast feeding. My oldest was only breast fed for 4 months, switched to formula until 1 year, and she never had milk after. Never cared for it. My youngest is 2 and has never had cows milk. Both are healthy. :woman_shrugging:t3: I don’t see why it would be necessary.

I gotta love this.
I’m a first time mom. And I’m a big research kinda gal. Alot of my choices have been different then other moms.
When you ask them, why they do certain things, they say well cuz thats how I was raised, or thats what so and so mom told me to do. Alot of that kind of research is actually poor, dangerous, outdated, ect.
I do the things I do because science supports it. Its newest research. It’s pediatrician approved. Its safe. And its none of your business.
The flack I’ve received has been insane. Instead people would benefit to ask me what I’ve learned, rather than come at me sideways about it.
As a mom I’ll make the best educated decisions for my daughter. can promise you that. Stay in your lane. Pick up a book. If you learn something to be a source of information for her, show her. But don’t question her choices with judgement behind it. Thats trash.

2 Likes

It sounds like you haven’t done YOUR own research on dairy alternatives. Karen.

3 Likes

I think your sis in law just wants to be different, which turns out looking like she’s being difficult. I’d say stay away from soy or almond milk just in case. What if it’ll cause allergies and intolerances earlier in life than what would be if she just used cows milk like normal.

You’re correct about the breastfeeding and formula feeding above solids before 12 months, majority of their nutrients does come from their milk. After 12 months it’s not a necessity if they’re feeding enough solids. My son is lactose and is a picky eater (due to teething) and I’d consider plant based milk over cow’s milk if he wasn’t lactose, however I’ve planned to keep to him on the formula as it contains prebiotics and has sufficient nutrients to sustain him.

If your SIL follows up with enough solids, I guess she is fine with the plant based milk (unless otherwise stated by her pediatrician). She will know when her kid is hungry, or if the plant based milk is not enough.

I think what shes doing is fine. Cows milk isn’t that great to begin with. As long as the child is happy, healthy, and growing properly I’d stay out of her perfectly fine decision to forgo milk from a farm animal.

2 Likes

My son was put on lactose free (soy) from birth and is 17 now and is still lactose intolerant the doctor was the one that prescribed it to him.

1 Like

On the carton is says not to use it for Baby’s.

I give my son almond milk (sweeten 80 cal) because he can’t tolerate milk :woman_shrugging:t2: his doctor told me as long as he is eating his meals and getting the Nutrients that he is getting he isn’t worried about it

If the child is 9 months and can est foods nothing wrong with eating real food during the day then formula at night… Peds usually tell you a certant amount in oz they should have a day but if that child isnt hungry… Who cares… And with the milk… Well soy or almond milk is way healthier than cows milk. Also, there is cheese and yogurt to get protein and healthy fats from. Over all her choice her child. Rather if she is a first time mom or not. I’m sure if she would ask for an opinion is she needed one.

You should remind her that BOTH are major allergies and that her child cant tell her if its having symptoms, the first time might be okay, the second time even and then the third her child could choke and die! This isnt even a crunchy thing it’s a safety thing, and it irks the shit outta me everytime!
As a chef food allergies have been a huge part of my job, I still didn’t consider that when my own doc said to try almond or say with my son due to exzema… and my kid paid the price, he could turn almond milk in to almond shards when hes poop them out with acidy liquid that literally ate the skin iff his little butt.

You dont give kid peanuts or shellfish this young, dont give almonds and soy!

Sounds like you should just mind your own business really lmao. Let her worry about her kids while you worry about your own.

5 Likes

Whole milk, or rather cow milk, by nature is for calves, baby cows. It can lead to allergies, lactose intolerance, gluten issues, as well as other problems. The almond, and other nut milks are so much better for kids that still need milk.

2 Likes

No need to worry. I don’t know any kids who would actually chose soy or almond milk. Yuck. The kid probably won’t want it anyway.

1 Like

Almond milk is awesome man

Let her be really u take care of your children the way u think is best and let others do the same ppl do not need to be judged or questioned bc it’s not your way … try to maybe broaden your horizons and open up your mind to new and different things or don’t but atleast don’t question others hope u find a way to support her as her family and her being a new mom

3 Likes

From what I’m reading-
Your Sister-in-law has a healthy 9 month old, eating food during day n formula at night… At 1yr she plans to give her little one Soy or Almond milk instead of cow milk…
If that’s understood correctly-
You disagree with how she is raising her own healthy child n want us to help you prove her choices are wrong…
Ummmmm :thinking:

14 Likes

You sound bitter and nosey. Just because someone doesn’t raise their child the way YOU want, doesn’t mean it’s the wrong way. Grow up

4 Likes

Sounds like you owe your sis in law tax money seeing as you all up in her business. And it looks like she owes you a smack to the jaws that you’re even worried about it enough to take it to social media.

4 Likes

Oat milks is a better option, it’s the only non dairy milk it like.

I thinks cows milk is gross… I switched my daughter from formula to almond milk… Ped said there is no reason why it has to be cows milk… She ate cheese and yogurt so she got all the calcium and vitamins from other foods

1 Like

Here’s some advice: M.Y.O.B.
You are putting some one else’s mothering under the microscope to try and equate your opinion with fact.
Low-key mom-shaming.
So not cool.

10 Likes

Whole milk isn’t even necessary

1 Like

Tbh I never discussed what milk my kids went on :rofl: they got whatever I could afford :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Soy milk has phyto-estrogens and should be avoided. Almond milk is probably ok for the toddler to drink but not in place of real milk.

Almond milk is great , it’s what I give my daughter, been giving it to her since she turned one :woman_shrugging: she can’t handle whole milk though. It’s not your business what she does with her child

2 Likes

Sorry but not sorry. It sounds like you are trying your hardest to find something, anything wrong with how she’s raising HER child. You may think she’s “just a first time mom” but a lot of first time mom’s can school veteran mom’s these days. Stay out of her business and stop being a judgemental mom.

18 Likes

How is this any of your business?..

6 Likes

I want to know why people still think we need to be drinking cows milk for nutrition :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

10 Likes

Some doctors say that you should start out with soy or almond incase of an allergy

1 Like

Cows milk is for baby cows it can actually inflame your body . You or a child do not need calories and things a giant cow needs to grow we avoid cows milk

2 Likes

Uhmm… it’s better if you DON’T give your children cow’s milk. Our digestive system lacks the ability to digest a certain protein in milk, because it’s so pasteurized. We are the only mammals that drink another animals milk lol. She’s making a smart & healthy decision for her daughter so leave her tf alone

6 Likes

Why are you so pressed about her child? Is he healthy? Does his pediatrician have issues with his weight? Is there any signs of abuse or neglect that warrant you being a nosey and controlling weirdo? If the answer was NO to any of these then LEAVE YOUR SISTER AND HER CHILD ALONE. They would honestly benefit from you distancing yourself from them :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

8 Likes

It’s her child. Her choice.
Almond milk is absolutely fine for kids. I know a lot of lactose intolerant or sensitive babies who thrive on almond milk.
I am thinking about that for my little when she turns 1 next month.
Mind your own damn business and let her parent her child her way.

Pretty sure it’s her child and she can do what she wants. As long as she is healthy and her pediatrician has found no issues with the child gaining weight or her health, you should really just mind your own business and worry about your own children. Especially if you ever want to have a relationship with said child. This would be why my ex’s family doesn’t have anything to do with my kids. They crossed one to many boundries and got cut off. Dont let that be you. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Yes it’s fine. She seems to be doing a good job. My son drank almond milk and breast milk since age 1.

3 Likes

I believe that you should do some research on MYB. -MIND YOUR-OWN BUSINESS- It’s pretty simple.
She’s gonna raise HER CHILD how she wants. And you can raise yours however it is you do. The child isn’t in danger so you should probably leave her alone.
Sounds more like you’re looking to start a fight about something that you have no business speaking on then worried about the child.

4 Likes

If it ain’t your kid dont worry about it

2 Likes

I don’t give my son milk at all…Not cows milk,almond milk,or soy milk…He will be 4 next month…

1 Like

Smart mom.
Our digestive systems can’t digest certain proteins in cow milk. In reality…we shouldn’t even be consuming it lol

7 Likes

It’s her child mine your business. As long as the child is not in danger or being harmed you need to mind your own family stop trying to mom shame.

2 Likes

MOST Children over the age of one do not need any milk. They’re nutrition comes from food. My little boy is 2 and has NEVER had cows milk. Almond milk occasionally. Water most of the time.

3 Likes

Jesus you sound like a judgmental B.
Just cause she’s a first time mum doesn’t mean she doesn’t know anything. Get off your pedestal and mind your own business :woman_facepalming:t3:

6 Likes

You need to mind ur business

5 Likes

The myth that milk from cows is somehow this save all for humans as a drink is so outdated. You sound ignorant. And very controlling. Would not have you as a friend

9 Likes

Girl! Mind your business :laughing:

3 Likes

The only thing that I can see might be an issue is that she may (according to you) not be giving breast milk/formula enough. That is a child’s main source of nutrition until they turn a year old. As for giving milk after a year, it’s not necessary. She may have already brought these topics up to her child’s pediatrician. I would take a step back and move along, this is something you have no control over and frankly, you have zero say on the matter, it’s HER child, not yours. Unless she is neglecting, starving or abusing her child, let her be.

1 Like

So not true if ur child is consuming at least 16 oz formula a day is good as long as the child is eating vegetables protein and starch and i had a sister inlaw like u and i stop speaking or allowing my child over because i parent my kid that came out my coochie the way i want to and she is now 18 never had any issue’s

3 Likes
  1. Mind your own business 2. Stop being so judgy you kept referring to her being a first time mom like what she is doing is bad because she is a first timer. I have 3 and they were all completely different! You do what works for you and let her enjoy motherhood for the “first time!” Oh and by the way 9 months old can have food during the day and milk at night. Sounds like she is transitioning her child as she should! Aslong as she is balancing her child sounds fine
11 Likes

OP must have never been a first time Mom :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

How bout, mind yo business

2 Likes

Wow of you were my sister in law you would not Be welcome anymore.
Because She is a First time mom don’t mean she does not know what She is doing! Mind your own bussiness and let het be! My kids would not want to wat anything else till they turned 1.5 years old So they Only had formula. My doctor told me that was no problem. They are 3 and still eating isseus and still want formula 1/3 times a day. Leave her in alone. Also Soy of other plant based Milks are better then cow milk. Maybe you should do some educating on milk.

3 Likes

Sounds like you need to mind your own god damn business! Jesus! Do you work? Got nothing better to do? Let her parent HER child how she damn well pleases and you keep your nose out!

As long as the child is happy and healthy then it really is not your concern. :woman_shrugging:

Prob best to stay in your own lane and worry about your own child, im sure you just want to be helpful, but this post comes if as you trying to find things she’s doing wrong.

ITS HER CHILD. You sound like a petty bitch

Humans aren’t really supposed to consume animal milk products anyway. And at 1 year, children no longer need formula. This chick needs to worry about herself. I love almond milk.

2 Likes

Juliette Martin well said

1 Like

First time mom and doesn’t have any knowledge. Like really? Wtf. Im a first time mom and I know what I want for my child and whats best. You come off like a b***h. Seems like she’s doing fine. Milk isn’t necessary for us to survive. Other milk alternatives are fine. If she’s only giving formula at night at this age, that’s her choice. You don’t know that the kid isn’t up every 2 hours getting a bottle. Stay in your lane Karen.

Leave her alone. Let her do what she feels is best for her child. How do you know she hasn’t spoken with a dr about it? Mine told me to let my child have solids that he can chew beginning at 6 months old. Fed is best and solids have nutrients in them. Also, a heads up, milk isn’t as “good” for you as everyone was told it was. :blush:

12 Likes

My kids were lactose sensitive at the age. They had it and were fine. My oldest still don’t eat or drink cow’s milk very often. Honestly unless your sil is asking for your advice. Leave her alone and let her decide.

6 Likes

I don’t know about the almond or soy milk after 1, but that baby absolutely needs formula during the day still. Pretty sure it’s at least 32 ounces. Food is fine but “food before one is just for fun.” It is not meant to be a replacement for her formula or breastmilk.

4 Likes

Keep your nose out ?

11 Likes

I started my first two children on almond milk at 10-12 months because they were allergic to any kind of formula or regular milk i would give them. Their butts and skin would be so red and raw and as soon as we changed them over it cleared right up. Honestly i was desperate for an answer because they were in so much pain from it constantly and all the dr told me was it was yeast and gave cream that never helped a bit. My cousins wife told me try almond milk and we never looked back. Now they are 9 and 6 completely healthy their whole baby lives and now. And if it comes down to it i will do it for my 3rd too.

3 Likes

I didn’t do cows milk at all for my kiddo, I tried other milks but she didn’t like them! In my research I found milk was necessary for a child, especially if they are eating a balanced diet. Ultimately it’s her choice, it is her child. Unless you believe the child is being neglected, not giving her milk really isn’t a big deal. Good luck❤️

1 Like

Its fine. Human don’t need dairy most of us can’t digest it properly.

7 Likes

I don’t think the milk is an issue… however I am concerned that a 9 month old is only getting one bottle of formula a day… food before one is just for fun

5 Likes

Babies can have cow milk once they turn 1. My niece was lactose intolerant and was drinking almond milk since 1 and she turned out fine. And honey please, for mutual respect keep your nose out of it.
She is the mom not you. You have no idea how annoying it is when people like to give their opinion on what someone should be feeding their child. I’m a breastfeeding mom of a 5 month old and slowly transitioning to formula and tired of all the “opinions” people have on what to feed my child.

1 Like

Yes leave it alone. It will just cause more unnecessary drama that is not needed.

1 Like

Don’t worry about it?

3 Likes

My oldest son was allergic to dairy until he was almost 3. At the time (54 years ago), there was only soy formula that smelled terrible. He didnt tolerate that either. He got daily oral vitamins and jello water (doctors advice). And before anyone asks, he was physically unable to breastfeed and by the time he could, he refused. Leave her alone. It is her child and fed is best.

Almond milk is a great alternative to milk. The nutritional value is the same or greater in some vitamins. The fat in milk helps with brain development, but there are healthy ways to compensate. My daughter drank almond milk with great approval from her pediatrician.
I’m more concerned about the bottle once a day… but it’s ultimately her decision for her child.

1 Like

My children never had cows milk and also didn’t have any allergies to it. I just know it’s not as good for you as they say. I would give them almond milk as a treat but they mostly drank water. My doctor was fine with it. My children got dairy via cheese and yogurt, mostly. They put milk in their cereal now but they don’t ever drink milk just because. As far as the feeding now goes, yes solids are fun before one. But if her baby is drinking 32 oz of formula at night, then she’s probably fine. My middle child reverse cycled around nine months and did the majority of his nursing at night.

All of that to say, you should probably stay out of it. You sound extremely judgmental of her choices because she can’t possibly know more than you because it’s her first baby. Anything you say, she’ll probably disregard just based on the way you’re saying it.

13 Likes

My son was on soy based formula from 3 months to 11months and at that point we started introducing soy milk to him due to lactose intolerance.

I would be careful how you approach the situation but tell her if that is the alternative she’s wanting to take then to be sure to offer other healthy fats and such. I was a nanny for a child who wasn’t given whole milk at one and was also not given many healthy fats and she stopped gaining weight for a period of time because she wasn’t getting a proper balance of nutrients.

I switched my son to oat milk. There’s no reason to have to drink whole milk. She can get calcium from other food sources

3 Likes

Unless she ASKS for advice, I’d mind my OWN business.

11 Likes

As far as the almond/soy milk, I think that’s a preference thing. My middle son is lactose intolerant, and has really only drank almond milk.
The only thing alarming, and should probably (gently) be addressed, the the whole only feeding formula at nighttime. Before 1, babies NEED that nutrition/hydration that is provided through breastmilk or formula. And it’s advised to offer that about 30 minutes BEFORE offering food.

1 Like

Both my children have a lactose and soya intolerance. So I give them oat milk which have added vitamins such as vitamin B12, calcium, vitamin D and iodine.

1 Like

100% mind your own business.

8 Likes

Not your child, not your choice. They all have nutritional value

5 Likes

Not your child, dont worry about it. Unless shes in any way malnourished leave it alone. We didnt do whole milk with our first and will not with this one either.

3 Likes

Uh… Not your baby. So why are you so concerned ? Coming on here asking people and mom shaming her isn’t the way to be a good sister in law. My now almost 9 year old was on soy milk because normal milk upset his stomach.

5 Likes

The milk thing really isn’t your biz or something to worry about lots of babies can’t have whole milk so it’s not an issue, however the formula/breast milk thing might be. Babies 8-12m still need 18-32 oz of breast milk or formula a day for the vitamins. You said you didn’t know how long she was doing it but my guess would be at the child’s one year checkup they will either be fine or have a clear vitamin deficiency which could lead to various issues. Unfortunately she might just have to find that out on her own.

Tell her goats milk has a lot of good nutrients. I am not a supporter of soy milk. ESPECIALLY with all the added estrogen.

I Don’t think the formula thing is an issue. But I would recommend she talk to her child’s doctor about nutrition after she takes her off formula. The truth is it doesn’t matter what kind of milk it is I worked at a daycare where one of the children drank rice milk at one year because she was allergic to everything she was a beautiful healthy child.

1 Like

My baby is breastfed but when she’s a year I will give her almond milk as that’s all we buy we are lactose free

Some people prefer almond/soy milk over cows milk! It’s literally none of your business

3 Likes

Babies are rarely ever lactose intolerant for starters. If there is an issue with dairy at that age it is almost always a protein intolerance or allergy, NOT lactose intolerance. Breastmilk has more lactose than cow’s milk, and if the child had lactose intolerance he/she would most likely be diagnosed within the first couple of days after birth as failure to thrive. This is extremely rare… Cow’s milk protein issues are actually the most common food intolerance/allergy in infants. If she has already experienced or pinpointed that as an issue that may be why she plans to do only soy or almond milk. However, all of that aside, it is not necessary for anyone to drink cow’s milk. There are plenty of ways to receive the nutrients we require without milk from another animal.